Chapter 5

The Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

For the rest of the day there's a kind of cheerful and exciting atmosphere at work. But I just sit there, unable to believe what just happened.

 

And as I walk to the Reve cafe that evening, I'm waiting for Sejeong by the way, my heart is still pounding at the unlikeliness of it all.

 

At the injustice of it all.

 

She was a stranger. She was supposed to be a stranger. The whole point about strangers is, they disappear into each other, and never to be seen again. Not turn up at the office. Not turn out to be your mega-boss employer!

 

Well, all I can say is, that's taught me. My parents always said never talk to strangers, and they were right. I'm never telling a stranger anything again. Ever.

 

I arrived at the Reve cafe, Sejeong made me promised to spent the evening in her flat.

 

And while waiting, I feel my body expand in relief. Away from the office. Away from the endless Ms. Bae's talk.

 

"Darling"

"Wendy Darling?"

"Earth to Wendy!"

I was startled and didn't know that Sejeong is standing in front of me.

 

"I'm sorry, H-hey" I say and reach up to her.

 

"Hi darling!" She says and give me a kiss in the cheek.

 

Darling? Oh yeah I forgot, Sejeong wants Darling to be our endearment. Sh*t. I forgot to say Darling. OK, how am I going to remember this? I know. I'll write it on my hand.

 

"So let's go?"

 

While we are driving to Sejeong's flat,

 

"So! Isn't it exciting about Ms. Joohyun Bae coming over."

 

Goodness. Please. No more talk about Joohyun Bae.

 

"Did you get to meet her?" She adds,

 

"I heard she went into Marketing."

 

"Um, yes, I met her."

 

"She came into Research this afternoon, but I was at a meeting." Sejeong looks at me, eager.

 

"So what's she like?"

 

"Uhmm... She's … very ... beautiful … Dark hair ..." Perfect. Crazily gorgeous. Goddess. Everything about her is beautiful. Wait,- I cleared my throat. "So how did the meeting go?"

 

Sejeong totally ignores my attempt to change the subject. 

 

"Isn't it exciting, though?" Her face is glowing. "Joohyun Bae!"

 

"I suppose so." I shrug. "Anyway—"

 

"Wendy! Aren't you excited?" Sejeong looks astonished.

 

"We're talking about the Joohyun Bae! The Joohyun Bae in the corporate world. Who's known to the world! She turned a failing company into a huge, successful corporation. And now we're all getting to meet her. Don't you find that thrilling?"

 

"Yes," I say at last. "It's … thrilling."

 

"This could be the opportunity of a lifetime for all of us. To learn from the genius herself! You know, she's never written a book, she's never shared her thoughts with anyone..."

 

"You know what I would love above anything?" She says.

 

"A one-to-one with her." She looks at me, her eyes shining.

 

"A one-to-one with Joohyun Bae! Wouldn't that be the most fantastic career boost?"

 

A one-to-one with Joohyun Bae. Yup, that boosted my career great. More like good luck to my career.

 

"I suppose," I say reluctantly.

 

We've arrived and Sejeong's not done yet-

 

"Of course it would be! Just having the chance to listen to her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter