Chapter 3

The Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Italics are flashbacks.

-

 

As I push my way through the heavy revolving glass doors, I look at in bewilderment. The whole place is in turmoil.

 

I'm getting dizzy as people are scurrying about, someone is polishing the fake plants, and Taeyeon, the senior office manager, is shooing people into lifts. "Could you please go to your offices! We don't want you hanging around the reception area. You should all be at your desks by now." She sounds completely stressed out. "There's nothing to see down here! Please go to your desks."

 

"What's happening?" I asked Lee Soo Man, the security guard, who's lounging against the wall with a cup of coffee as usual. He takes a sip, swills it around his mouth and gives us a grin.

"Joohyun Bae's visiting."

"What?" I gawp at him.

"Today??"

"Are you serious??"

 

The Bae Corporation is known as one of the largest and most successful business in the whole world.

And in the corporate world, Joohyun Bae, is known for her reputation for being incredibly smart and very hard working, a very intimidating boss and very known to practice the silent treatment on those that displease her.

Joohyun Bae is the epitome of perfection. I know this a lot because I've heard a lot about her but I've never seen her.

 

No wonder Taeyon's in a tizz.

 

"10 minutes" Rosé consults her watch.

 

"Why now? Just out of the blue like this." I say.

 

Rosé eyes twinkle. She's obviously been telling people all the news and is enjoying herself.

 

"She wants to have a look around the South Korea operation, apparently."

 

"I thought Ms. Tiffany Bae is incharge of us." I say.

 

"She is. But you know how perfectionist Ms. Joohyun Bae is, she has set excessively high performance standards" Jisoo points out.

 

"My theory" Yeri says, and we all bend our heads to listen, "is she wants to see if the plants are shiny enough." She nods her head towards Taeyeon, and we all giggle. D*mn Yeri and her jokes.

 

"Be careful!" Taeyeon is snapping. "Don't damage the stems." She glances up. "What are you all still doing there?"

 

"Just going!" I say, and we head towards the stairs, which I prefer because it's the substitution of all missed work-out. Plus luckily Marketing is on the first floor.

 

We've just reached the landing when Yeri squeaks "Look! Oh my God! It's her!"

 

A most luxurious limousine has stopped right in front of the glass doors. As if by clockwork, the lift doors at the other end of the foyer open, and strides out the executives, managing director and about six others, all looking perfectly clean in dark suits.

 

As the passenger door of the limousine opens. A moment later, out gets a woman with red hair in a gray overcoat. She's wearing dark glasses and is holding a very expensive-looking briefcase. Wow. She looks like a million dollars.

 

Taeyeon and the others are all outside by now, lined up on the steps. They shake her hand in turn, then usher her inside.

 

"Welcome to the Bae Corporation South Korea," Taeyeon says fulsomely.

 

"I hope your journey was pleasant?"

 

"Not too bad, thanks," says the woman.

 

"As you can see, this is very much a normal working day …"

 

"Come on," says Yeri, "we'd better go."

 

And, trying not to giggle, the four of us, Yeri, Jisoo, Rosé, and me hurry up the stairs.

 

The atmosphere in the marketing department is a bit like my bedroom used to be before we had parties in the sixth form. People are brushing their hair, spraying perfume, shuffling papers around and gossiping excitedly.

 

As I walk past the office of Chanyeol, who is in charge of media strategy, I see him carefully lining up his Marketing Effectiveness awards on his desk, while Baekhyun, his assistant is polishing the framed photographs of him shaking hands with famous people.

 

I'm just hanging up my coat on the rack when the head of our department, Yoona, pulls me aside.

 

"Wendy, let me talk to you later. Go and tidy your desk," says Yoona.

 

"Uh, okay" as I scuttle to my desk, Taeyeon comes into the room, looking hassled.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter