Chapter 4

The Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

OK, keep calm. Maybe she won't remember me. It was one short flight. She probably takes a lot of flights.

 

"Everyone." Yoona is leading her into the centre of the office.

 

"I'm delighted to introduce our CEO, the woman who has influenced and inspired a generation of marketers – Ms. Joohyun Bae!"

 

A round of applause breaks out, and Ms. Joohyun Bae shakes her head, smiling but with intimidating look.

 

"Please," she says. "No fuss. Just do what you would normally do."

 

She starts to walk around the office, pausing now and then to talk to people. Yoona is leading the way, making all the introductions, and following them silently everywhere is the red hair woman.

 

"Here she comes!" Yeri hisses, and everyone at our end of the office stiffens.

 

My heart starts to thump, and I shrink into my chair, trying to hide behind my computer.

 

Maybe she won't recognize me. Maybe she won't remember. Maybe she won't— .

 

She's looking at me. I see the flash of surprise in her eyes, and she raises her eyebrows. She recognizes me. Please don't come over, I silently pray. Please don't come over. PLEASE-

 

"And who's this?" She says to Yoona.

 

"This is Wendy Shon, one of our junior marketing assistants." She's walking towards me. Yeri has stopped talking. Everyone's staring. I'm hot with embarrassment.

 

"Hello," she says pleasantly but smirking.

 

"Hello," I manage. "Ms. Bae." OK, so she recognizes me.

 

But that doesn't necessarily mean she remembers anything I said. A few random comments thrown out by a person in the next-door seat. Who's going to remember that? Maybe she wasn't even listening.

 

"And what do you do?"

 

"I, um, assist the marketing department and I help with setting up promotional initiatives," I mumble.

 

"Wendy was in Japan only last week on business," puts in Yoona, giving me a completely phoney smile.

 

"We believe in giving our junior staff responsibility as early as possible."

 

"Very wise," says Ms. Bae, nodding while raising her eyebrow. Her gaze runs over my desk and alights with sudden interest on my polystyrene cup. She looks up and meets my eye.

 

"How's the coffee?" She asks pleasantly. "Tasty?"

 

Like a tape recording in my head, I suddenly hear my own stupid voice, prattling on.

 

"I can't take coffee at work, it tastes disgusting..."

"I can't take coffee at work, it tastes disgusting..."

"I can't take coffee at work, it tastes disgusting..."

 

"It's great!" I say. "Really … delicious!"

 

"I'm very glad to hear it." There's a spark of amusement in her eyes, and I feel myself redden.

 

She remembers. . She remembers. She remembers everything, doesn't she? Everything. Oh God. What the else did I say?

 

I'm sitting perfectly still, while Yoona introduced the others.

 

But my mind is frantically spooling back, trying to remember, trying to piece together what I said. I mean, goodness, I told this woman everything about myself. Everything. Everything-

 

My blood runs cold.

 

Did I say something about the company? Did I say something about my job? Goodness gracious. That's it. I'm dead. She remembers everything. Goodness Wendy what have you got yourself into.

 

OK. Don't panic. There must be something I can do.

 

OK, maybe I'm over-reacting here. Let's just get things in proportion. Ms. Bae Joohyun is a huge important woman. Look at her! She's got limos and flunkies, and a huge great company which makes millions every year. She doesn't care if she knows the secrets of one of her employees.

 

I mean, honestly! I laugh out loud in my nerves, and Yeri gives me an odd look.

 

"I'd just like to say that I'm very glad to meet you all," says Ms. Bae, looking around the silent office.

 

"And also I would like to introduce my assistant, Joy." She gestures to the woman with red hair.

 

"I'll be staying here for a few days so I hope I'll get to know a few of you better. As you're aware, Mr. & Mrs. Bae, my parents, who founded the Bae Corporation, are Koreans. For that reason, among many others, this country has always been immensely important to me."

 

A sympathetic murmur goes around the office. She lifts a hand, nods, and walks away, followed by Joy and all the executives.

 

There's silence until she's gone, then an excited babble breaks out.

 

"I was mesmerized by her beauty..."

 

"Ms. Bae is so beautiful..."

 

"She's so perfect in all angles..."

 

"She's not that bad among the rumors we've heard about her." Says J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter