Behavior

Black Rose

Yuna watches as the sisters both head into the stables where she was busy tending to the horses and notices the older sibling looking around as if searching for something.

 

“Madames,” she greets with a small bow as well as returning the smile that Yewon gives her, “Do you need anything?”

 

“We were just taking a walk and we decided to go on a short trip to the village.” Yewon answers for the both of them.

 

“It’s rare to see you by yourself chevalière.” Eunbi suddenly remarks, surprising Yuna slightly since she rarely makes idle talk and prefers to stay silent or just intervene in a conversation when necessary.

 

“Oh, you’re referring to Yerin?” Yuna questions. Eunbi doesn’t make any sign of confirming her assumption but the knight decides to tell her anyway, “Yerin went back to the city to investigate.”

 

“Investigate?”

 

Yuna nods, “I don’t know much about the details either, but she seemed unsatisfied with her findings the previous day.”

 

“What is she doing away when her job entails guarding us?” Eunbi suddenly remarks, her expression giving way to displeasure as she says so and based from the look on her face after speaking, it seems that she didn’t mean to say it out loud.

 

Yuna and Yewon stared at Eunbi both in wonder and surprise but the latter only looks away to avoid their gazes. Understanding that she won’t speak of it any longer, they decided to let it go.

 

“Nevertheless, with Yerin away, I guess it’s up to me to be your guard today.” Yuna tells the both of them, “The Black Rose is active at night there’s nothing that should happen here. But there is still some danger outside, so it’s best I accompany you.”

 

Eunbi was about to object, but Yewon stops her, telling her that she doesn’t mind having another companion.

 

Eunbi’s expression softens a bit, “If it’s fine with you then…”

 

Yuna just watches the exchange with a fond look.

 

---

 

“What are the chances that it wasn’t a fake?” Yerin insists as she follows her captain back to her quarters, with the taller woman just letting out a sigh at the younger’s persistence. Nevertheless, she doesn’t answer as she continues to trudge forward, finally reaching her study and settling in her seat behind her desk.

 

“We never told the citizens or any of the nobles how the Black Rose behaved. That's privy only to us, as the members of the King’s Guard.” Sojung tells her fellow knight, staring up at her with a pointed look, “She’s only out at night, duels a male noble, leaves a black rose and takes off with one piece of jewelry that appears in a commoner’s place the following day.”

 

“But surely the victims would have caught onto that pattern by now?” Yerin tells her as she sits on the one of chairs beside the desk, “You shouldn’t underestimate the rumor mill of the city, Sojung.”

 

“The assailant was blonde.”

 

Yerin blinks, “What?”

 

“And a woman with a beautiful rapier. The victim remembered it clearly as it was the main reason he lost, because he got too greedy for the sword the Black Rose had.” Sojung continues, leaning back in her chair, “We never told anyone else those details either. And if all of that doesn’t convince you, Yerin, given that you’re the person who knew and that only me and Yuna know about this, then it’d be best if I assign you a task elsewhere.”

 

Yerin pouts. It didn’t make sense to her. She was so sure that she finally knew who the Black Rose is, all that was left was to catch her in the act by keeping an eye on her at all times, but now that this happened and Eunbi has not left her sight since then, she was having serious doubts on her own judgment.

 

“What’s really going on here Yerin?” Sojung’s question snapped her out of her thoughts.

 

“Nothing.” she grumbled.

 

“Yerin.”

 

Said knight continued grumbling for a bit, with Sojung already leaning over her desk just to smack her. The captain hated it when Yerin acted too stubborn, even though she’s been putting up with that behavior since the beginning.

 

Yerin raised her arms to block the attack, “Alright, alright, I’ll tell!” she yelled, waiting until she was seated properly before continuing, “I just thought I had her.”

 

“Had who?”

 

“…Black Rose.”

 

There was a heavy silence in the room that was mostly just Sojung processing her words and Yerin waiting for her reaction, and when the captain finally opened to speak she knew she had to run.

 

“Explain.”

 

It wasn’t a request.

 

Yerin swallowed visibly at the cold look Sojung sported and immediately ranted out everything she knew. The sword, Eunbi, her blonde hair and her apparent dislike for male members of a noble household.


“So I really thought I had her, I just needed proof.” Yerin continued, shrinking visibly when Sojung stood up from her seat. Yerin took that as her cue to get out of there, “Anyway, looks like I was wrong so I’m going to head back and resume my duties. Goodbye.”

 

“We’re not done yet, come back here!”

 

Yerin was ready to bolt out of the room the moment she opened the door, but upon doing so she found herself stopping short in reflex just so she wouldn’t collide with a person currently standing outside the door, fist suspended in mid-air showing that she was just about to knock when the door suddenly opened.

 

When the knight saw who it was, she thanked the stars for sending her source of salvation.

 

“Eunha! You came just at the perfect time!” Yerin grinned, grasping the woman’s hands in hers and eagerly pulling her inside the room.
 

“Yerin? What are you—?”

 

“Your beloved is feeling quite stressed right now so I hope you can help her out in relaxing a little.” Yerin tells her, already pushing her towards Sojung who was glaring at her.

 

“What is going on…?” Eunha questions, her gaze shifting between the two knights.

 

Yerin didn’t answer and just pats her shoulders, “I’ll leave you to it little sister. While me, on the other hand, have somewhere else to be.” she says with finality and walks out of the door, “Goodbye you two.” she waves, and was about to close the door as she exits but pauses in her trakcs as if she just remembered something important, “Oh and before I forget.” she gives the two a cheeky grin, “Make sure the both of you are a little quieter when you do it, I could hear you across the training grounds before—“

 

Yerin was just a split second away from getting a dagger to her face if she didn’t close the door in time.

 

---

 

Sojung heaves out a sigh as she settles back in her seat a few moments after Yerin finally left, leaving her and Eunha inside the room with the younger still in a state of confusion after what had transpired.

 

“Sojung?” the princess’s head maid turns to the captain who responds with a hum, closing her eyes slightly for a few seconds before opening them again to gaze at the other presence in the room, “Was Yerin giving you a hard time again?”

 

“When does she not?” Sojung asks back with a small laugh, “Your older sister’s nothing like you, Eunha. Why can’t she be more well-behaved?”

 

Eunha just chuckles, “It’s for that reason why she’s a knight and why I’m the princess’s head maid.” she tells her, “If she were behaved, the both of us would be married to some other noble.”

 

Sojung visibly frowned at this, imagining Eunha married to a complete stranger, to someone that she doesn’t even love and living a life that she would have not wanted for herself. Just the thought of it made her clench her fist in anger.

 

She knew that the Jungs weren’t exactly the respectable family everyone thought of them to be. Behind all the good deeds they’ve done and showcasing it to the citizens, they were not the kindest when it came to their own children.

 

To put it in simpler words, if they did not meet their expectations, then they are a failure.

 

And the three Jungs took the brunt of all of it. What drove Yerin to finally leave the family was her eldest sister’s death. She knew that the reason was because of the expectations set onto her by their parents who were frustrated they couldn’t get a male heir and so passed on that responsibility to the three sisters. Yerin didn’t want Eunha sharing the same fate and so she did the only thing she knew she could do to save her and escaped their home with Eunha.

 

It was when they met Yuna and so the two came to live with her for a while.

 

While training to become a knight, Eunha would once in a while bring her sister some food for her to eat, it was then that she caught the princess’ attention and Sojung’s as well.

 

Admittedly, if it weren’t for Yerin, they would never be in this situation.

 

Sojung was pulled out of her thoughts when she suddenly sees Eunha moving around the table towards her side and takes a seat on her lap while snaking her arms around the captain’s head gently, “What’s wrong?”

 

The captain of the King’s Guard just heaves out a sigh before resting her head against the woman’s, “It’s nothing. Your sister was just playing around as usual.”

 

“I heard that she was supposed to be in the countryside, guarding one of the noble families.” Eunha says, “Is it because of the Black Rose again?”

 

She nods her head in response, already used to sharing her experiences with her lover. She also knew that Eunha wouldn't tell anyone else, “Apparently she thought that she’s finally caught the thief but because of the recent incident, she’s having doubts so she came here to make sure that it wasn’t a fake.”

 

Eunha laughs, “That’s just like her. Did she say who she thought it was?”

 

“She’s told me that she thought it was Eunbi, the eldest daughter of the Kims.”

 

“Ah, that Eunbi?” 

 

Sojung nods, “Yes. Have you seen her?”

 

“I do remember meeting her in the city but that was a long time ago.” Eunha mumbles in thought, “I don’t understand how Yerin would think it’s her in the first place. I don’t remember seeing the Kims allow their daughters to learn how to fight.”

 

“As do all nobles.” Sojung just shrugs, “Anyhow, apparently she only came to that conclusion because of the weapon and her hair." the captain of the King's Guard whines slightly before wrapping her arms tightly around Eunha's waist, "Why is she so obsessed over the Black Rose anyway? I don’t understand her mindset sometimes.”

 

“Did she say anything?”

 

Sojung pored it over before responding, “Only that she saw her to be beautiful.”

 

This time Eunha didn’t hold back and laughed loudly at the response. Confused, Sojung watched her lover, though slightly enjoying the sight of a happy Eunha, until she finally calmed down and managed to string together a few words in between laughs.

 

“Believe it or not, a pretty face is all my sister needs for motivation.” Eunha says with a grin, “All the more when she thinks the person is beautiful.”

 

“…I will never understand her.”

 

“I will have to agree.”

 

The two then share a laugh before collapsing into a comfortable silence, Sojung’s earlier annoyance at Yerin completely forgotten.

 

“By the way, what brings you here? Do you need anything? No duties for today?”

 

Eunha pauses for a bit before finally sitting up straight as if she just remembered something that she should be doing, “Oh, right.”

 

“We’re expecting visitors next week.” Eunha explains, “It seems to be a prince from the neighboring kingdom and so I just came to tell you I won’t be free during that time.”

 

“Visitors?” Sojung repeats, “If that’s the case then we'll most likely be swamped with duties as well so that’s understandable.”

 

“Oh right. Sometimes I forget you’re the captain of the King’s Guard.” she sighs, leaning against her further as she soaks up the warmth and comfort that the woman gives her. She had many duties to fulfill, not to mention it will take a while before she can have a moment again with Sojung like this. With both of them swamped with work, it was best they make the most of it now before going on with their lives as servants to the royal family.

 

It was around an hour after when Eunha finally exits the captain’s quarters, already heading back to the garden where she was told the princess would be found.

 

Eunha pauses in her tracks as a sudden thought occurs to her.

 

On second thought, she would need to send someone a message first.

 

Eunha nods to herself as she heads off to the servant’s quarters instead.

 

---

 

“You’re back.” Yuna announces in a pleased tone, watching Yerin’s mare trot relaxedly towards the open gates. It was just a few hours into the afternoon and she could clearly see the exhaustion in the knight’s face having traveled under the sweltering heat of the sun. Her fellow knight just offers her a smile and dismounts her ride once she’s safely within the property, “How was it with our captain? Did you find the answer you were looking for?”

 

Yerin sighs, “I don’t even know what to think anymore. The only thing in my mind right now is to freshen up, get something to eat and then rest.”

 

“Is it bad?” Yuna asked, concerned, seeing the disappointment in Yerin’s face as she speaks.

 

“I don’t know.” she answers with a shrug of her shoulders, “I’m just confused. Half of me is disappointed, while half is relieved.”

 

Yuna just keeps silent, watching Yerin’s look of contemplation as if she has no idea on what she should do and the younger knight understands what the older may be going through. There is a possibility that her suspicions about Eunbi are wrong after all, and since Yerin had been so sure, the knight most likely planned ahead on what to do next if she confirms it, but it seems that the result was not what she was expecting and perhaps she has not formed a plan for that at all.

 

But then again, why would Yerin be relieved?

 

A part of her was hoping that Eunbi isn’t the Black Rose after all? But why?

 

She was about to ask Yerin but was cut off when she stretches her arms over her head, saying, “Ah, my body hurts from riding too much… What I’d give to rest…”

 

“Took you long enough to return, chevalière.” a voice suddenly speaks up from behind them and when they turned, they saw the sisters walking towards them, “But you’re just in time, let’s go.”

 

Yuna chuckles, turning to Yerin who returns the gaze albeit slightly confused, “We were supposed to head out for the village earlier, but Madame Eunbi insisted to wait for your return.” she explains with a small pat on her shoulder, “It seems rest will have to wait.”

 

Yerin just blinks, then turns to Eunbi with a seemingly begging look, asking her to give her some time to recuperate but the noble refused, already pushing Yerin towards her mare while Yewon asked the servants to prepare the carriage.

 

“Milady, can’t I rest for even just a minute? I just got back—“ Yerin was negotiating with the noble.

 

“But you fled on your horse the moment the Black Rose was mentioned? When you’re supposed to guard us?” Eunbi raised a brow.

 

“Well… that’s—“

 

“Aren’t you shirking your duties a little too much, chevalière?”

 

Yerin pouts, “The Black Rose is part of my duty…” she grumbles.

 

Yuna watches in slight amusement as Yerin tries to reason with Eunbi, quite entertained with how her skills with women seems to fail her in her current situation. She continues to witness how their conversation starts to turn from Eunbi scolding Yerin and the latter trying to appease the noble as much as she can.

 

“In the first place, milady, why did you wait for me when Yuna could have gone with you in my stead?” Yerin managed to ask the question that completely silences the elder sister.

 

Yuna blinks in surprise when Eunbi just glares and suddenly grabs the knight’s wrist before pulling her close, seemingly whispering something for Yerin’s ears only and not a minute after, Yerin sports a look of understanding coupled with amusement as she nods.

 

“I see…”

 

Yuna can only tilt her head in wonder. Was it just her or have the two of them become quite well-acquainted recently?

 

“You notice it too?” she turns abruptly at the sound of Yewon’s voice, seeing the younger sister standing just beside her, “I’ve never seen Eunbi act that way either. It seems Yerin precedes her reputation as a charmer.”

 

“…To be fair, Yerin isn’t usually like this towards women she flirts with either.” Yuna tells her, making the younger Kim turn to her in mild surprise and wonder, “Yerin is a charmer however, that’s all she is. She will compliment women, praise them and shower them with sweet words, but she always keeps a respectable distance.”

 

Yuna eyes the current state of the two, the close proximity between them a new sight for her. Granted, it wasn’t impossible for Yerin to be close to people, she just preferred to make it clear if what she feels for someone is mere friendship or romantic interest. It was how she knew that the two of them would only remain as friends and nothing more, however, from what she’s seeing now…

 

Still, Yuna might be thinking too much on it, but having been with Yerin for as long as she can remember, even the slightest change in behavior is noticeable.

 

“Is that so?” Yewon mumbles, watching the two as well.

 

A servant then approaches the two the same time a carriage pulls up in front of the group.

 

“Well I’m relieved they’re getting along.” Yewon smiles, “Shall we go?”

 

Yuna smiles as well, nodding her head in agreement as they both walk towards the two who were still seemingly busy discussing over something serious.

 

“Eunbi.” Yewon calls, approaching, “The carriage is ready.”

 

The slight jump that Eunbi does upon hearing Yewon speak earns a raised brow from her little sister, but she manages to regain her composure and straightens herself, “O-oh, is that so. Let’s go then.”

 

Yerin could be seen clearing in an attempt to hide her laughter, only to turn into a yelp of pain when Eunbi stomps on her foot. Eunbi levels a glare at her but Yerin remains unfazed and just smiles back.

 

Yuna wasn’t sure if they were doing it on purpose, but it was visible that they were hiding something and they were doing the worst job in covering it up. However, not wanting to delay their trip any further, they all set of to prepare to leave and does not comment on the two's questionable actions as they do so.

 

The two knights then mount their rides while the sisters settle down inside the carriage.

 

“What happened to resting?” Yuna inquires as they head out the gates.

 

“Ah well…” Yerin grins, “I can’t exactly turn a blind eye when a fair maiden is in need of help, can I?”

 

“What?”

 

Yerin doesn’t reply and just trots ahead, seemingly in a good mood. Meanwhile Yuna can only follow, trying to understand what Yerin meant. Did Eunbi need her help on something?

 

She just shakes her head and follows. It might as well be useless trying to make sense of Yerin's actions in the first place.

 

---

 

“Don’t misunderstand.”

 

“…What is there to misunderstand?”

 

“I’m telling you just in case. It’s to keep her eyes on me, nothing more.”

 

She just shakes her head, turning to her companion with a smile, “I know. I trust you after all.”

 


 

~

yeah, I think I can start the story from here on uwu~