Before

Black Rose

It was around sunset when they finally arrived and Yerin catches a glimpse of the city gates. The guards on duty immediately notice her arrival and make a move to salute her.

 

“Good evening chevalière, back in the city again?” they greet with a smile.

 

“I’m here on official business this time,” she answers, gesturing to the carriage she was accompanying. The guards took one look at the crest and nods in understanding.

 

“Never thought we’d see the day you’d be escorting some other person that isn’t His Majesty, chevalière.” one of the guards tell her in a joking manner, but Yerin has had too many experiences that were enough to determine whether words thrown her way were insults disguised as jokes.

 

This was just one of those instances.

 

“I guess it’s better than babysitting the King anyway.” the other added in a low tone, perhaps expecting that Yerin wouldn’t hear it however, that was not the case.

 

“You ought to be careful with what you say.” she tells them sharply, maneuvering her horse so that it stood directly in front of them, looking down at the two with a threatening gaze, “Any words spoken that insults any member of the Royal Family is tantamount to treason, which may as well be a death sentence for someone of your status. Normally, I would cut you down but I’ll be merciful this time. Let this serve as a warning.”

 

She didn’t wait for any form of response as she ushers her fellow guards to get moving so they can head straight to the viscount’s residence in the city. Without another word, they follow, deciding to keep silent about what had just transpired.

 

Amongst the knights and the soldiers of the kingdom, being a part of the King’s Guard, the knights who act under the direct orders of the King, is considered the highest honor one can receive in service to the kingdom. Many people know that only the most skilled of knights can step foot into those ranks, and the King does not discriminate, so long as you have the ability, skills worthy enough to protect the King, then you are welcome. However, there are still many who think that some knights became members through underhanded means, some who think that one’s nobility had a hand in making it possible, which was the case for her.

 

And thus, they throw insults in her direction, calling her a babysitter of sorts, thinking that it’s the only duty that they assign her.

 

Little did they know that Yerin actually has quite several achievements she’s accomplished on her own, as do many of the other members of the King’s Guard. Many people never know that the only reason that the kingdom remains peaceful as it is, is because of the many tasks given to them behind closed doors.

 

From attempted attacks on the Royal Family to many criminal groups shut down before they brought harm to the kingdom, these were all the things that the King’s Guard was capable of doing, and she couldn’t be prouder to be a part of it.

 

Anyone who besmirches the honor of this position she holds can face the wrath of her sword in exchange.

 

She knows that in other people’s eyes she may not be doing much, slacking off whenever the opportunity presents itself, but she is still proud of what she is and what responsibilities come along with it.

 

“You look deep in thought chevalière.”

 

Yerin blinks before turning to her right, seeing the face of Eunbi staring back at her. It was only then that she noticed the woman had opened the carriage window and was trying to get her attention… at least she thinks she was.

 

“I’m blessed to even receive your concern milady.” she smiles widely, her anger from earlier not quite dissipated yet, but it wouldn’t do her any good if she snapped at Eunbi when she hasn’t even done anything wrong.

 

“You don’t need to put up that farce in front of me, Yerin.” Eunbi tells her seriously, and her tone easily told her that her attempt in trying to lighten the situation was unsuccessful, “Do you receive those insults on a regular basis?”

 

“Well…” she shrugs, “More often than not. But it could have been worse.”

 

Eunib raises a brow, “Could have been worse how?”

 

“Like being called His Majesty’s concubine and sorts.” Yerin tells her truthfully, earning a grimace from the younger noble, “Or that I charmed her highness the princess to give me this position.”

 

“I wouldn’t know about the King, but I wouldn’t put it past you if the latter happened.”

 

Yerin would have thought she was joking if she didn’t say it in such a serious tone.

 

With a pout, she huffs, “Not many are convinced that I worked my way up the ranks. It took years of training under our captain before we received our knighthood and our placement to be part of the King’s Guard. We were squires before we were recruited, so it was a tedious process. Achieving knighthood within the knights is one thing, but knighthood within the King’s Guard requires twice the effort.”

 

“No worries chevalière, I know just how much skill you have.” Eunbi assures her.

 

Yerin stared, surprised.

 

“Your duels with Yuna are nowhere near the spars I’ve watched from our guards.”

 

“Oh, so that’s what you meant.” Yerin unintentionally heaves a sigh. She almost thought that she was referring to her fight with the Black Rose. After all, she still believes that Eunbi is that person.

 

“What else could I have meant?”

 

“Nothing at all, milady.” Yerin waves her off.

 

“Yerin?”

 

It was Yewon who called for her this time, seeing her lean over just so she could take a peek through the window.

 

“Yes, milady?”

 

“I apologize for interrupting you both, but I was just wondering where Yuna is?”

 

“Now that you mention it, I don’t see her anywhere.” Eunbi also looks around and out the window but fails to catch sight of the other knight who was supposed to be with them.

 

“Oh, I forgot to inform the both of you about that.” Yerin says apologetically, “Yuna decided to head back to your home.”

 

“…She what?”

 

The alarm in Eunbi’s voice was unmistakable, but for what reason, Yerin didn’t know.

 

“Why—why did she go back?” Yewon asks as well, a bit more composed than Eunbi, but even she failed to hide her surprise.

 

What is it with these two? Did they prefer Yuna over her that much?

 

“Our orders from His Majesty composed of protecting your family from the Black Rose.” Yerin explains, deciding not to pry further, “And she decided that if both of us left, it may provide the opportunity for an attack and so she decided we split up on our duties. She will guard your parents and your brother, while I will stay with you.”

 

“I see…” Yewon clears , “I apologize for that Yerin. I was just surprised that you would be separated since I’ve gotten used to seeing the both of you together.”

 

“Oh, most of the time we accomplish our duties together, but this isn’t the first time we decided to go our separate ways.” Yerin smiles, catching the both of them share a look before deciding to finally end the conversation there. Yewon starts telling Eunbi that she wants to ask her about something and thus, her participation in the conversation has come to a close.

 

She watches as the carriage window shuts close, leaving her to her lonesome self.

 

On another note, she knows that something is going on. The sisters aren’t exactly subtle about it however, she decided it wasn’t her position to pry too much into their business and decides not to think too much about it.


Still, their reaction to Yuna’s absence made her curious about what was happening.

 

---

 

After making sure that the sisters have arrived safely inside their residence, she informed the two that she will be heading to the castle to report to her captain for a while and promises that she will return as soon as she finishes up. With that, she once more walks the familiar path towards the barracks.

 

Since it was already evening, the training grounds were empty of people, and lights in the rooms were already lit. Everyone was most likely ready to turn in for the night, except for a select few of her colleagues who were out on their missions. Though it was late, she still knew that Sojung would be awake, probably finishing up some tasks as the captain so when she arrived, she was surprised to find the captain’s quarters empty and looking like it’s been that way for a while.

 

“Oh, Yerin, you’ve returned?” she sees a fellow knight walking down the halls.

 

She greets them back, “I’m here on official business this time and I thought to drop by for a moment before I head back. Where’s Sojung?”

 

“She informed us she had urgent business to attend to.” he answers, “She never specified what it was, but she says she should be back the following morning.”

 

“I see. Thank you for that, I better head back now. It’s useless to wait here if she’s not coming back tonight.” she says and her colleague agrees, parting ways right at that spot with Yerin heading back to the Kims’ place of residence while pondering over Sojung’s sudden business.
 

After all, she half expected Sojung to be present and alert especially since the princess would be hosting a tea party the next day. Being part of the King’s Guard not only meant being in direct service to the King but also of the Royal Family, and so she expected to see her captain busy over assigning guard detail of the said party.

 

And it wasn’t like Sojung to just disappear without explanation. The information her colleague had informed her was too vague. Still, it must be important if the captain herself left to do it.

 

She doubts she’ll get any answers, so she decides to just question the woman when she returns.

 

---

 

The following day arrived too quickly for her liking, with the previous night devoid of any dangers. She stayed up keeping guard and was lacking sleep so her mood wasn’t all that pleasant, to say the least. Normally she and Yuna would take turns but with her being alone, she ended up taking all the burden of fighting the drowsiness throughout the night.

 

Granted, she didn’t really expect anything to happen, but it would be suspicious if she slacks off on her duties.

 

She wonders how Yuna’s night went and hopes she at least managed to rest well.

 

“You look like you’re about to die.”

 

Ah, of course, the voice spewing venomous words has become music to her ears as of recent.

 

“Anyone can die just from seeing your beauty in the morning milady.” Yerin greets her earnestly, standing straight as she turns towards her voice, “Good morning.”

 

Eunbi sighs tiredly, “I guess even a lack of sleep doesn’t fix that bad habit of yours…”

 

“I hardly consider honesty as a bad habit—Oh dear.” Yerin was cut short the moment she laid her eyes on the woman before her.

 

The young noble raises a brow, seeing the knight looking at her in a daze, “What is it?”

 

Yerin struggles to find the right words for about a minute before managing to string together the most basic of her vocabularies, “I—uh, you look amazing, Eunbi.”

 

She donned on a simple blue dress well suited for a tea party amongst nobles, however being able to see her actually dress up for the first time did dangerous things to Yerin’s heart. She’s convinced that she’s fallen captivated with the woman before her.
 

“W—of course, I have to look presentable.” Eunbi clears , turning away, “Especially since it’s the princess, I can’t afford to look like I don’t care about appearances. Anyway, never mind that, hold onto this!” she shoves a beautifully wrapped box into her hands, “It will be suspicious if I carry that around with me, so you’ll do it in my stead.”

 

Yerin stares blankly at the package, wondering what it could be, what it was for, and why was she entrusted with it until the dots finally connected in her head and she realized what today’s occasion was all about.

 

“Could it be… Yewon’s birthday today?” she asks hesitantly.

 

“Did you already forget?”

 

“I didn’t.” Yerin laughs lightly, “I just failed to realize what date it is today… so it’s that time of the year already.”

 

Confusion etched itself on Eunbi’s face. After all, she didn’t understand why the knight would say such words but she decided to not think about it too much and assumed that the knight was in her own world again.

 

“It’s almost time for the party to start so we should get going,” Eunbi tells her to which she receives a nod and the both of them march out with Yerin helping the younger noble inside the carriage, Yewon already inside, before proceeding to her mare and mounting it carefully. They then head straight towards the castle where the party was to take place.

 

From what Yerin heard, the invitation was only sent out to a select few, making it seem that it was a gathering of the more privileged people who are close with the princess of the kingdom. Yerin wasn’t all too familiar with the princess’ circle of friends, but she was informed that it was a small group and the party may not exactly be as grandiose as she was expecting.

 

Still, she never knew that the sisters were actually close friends of the princess.

 

That didn’t come as a surprise since despite spending much time with Eunbi for the past few weeks, they weren’t close enough just yet to share their secrets with one another. That didn’t mean their times together were no less than enjoyable. Yerin absolutely enjoyed how dedicated the younger noble was for the sake of her sister that she dotes on so much even though she strongly tries to deny it. It was a rare instance, a once-in-a-lifetime chance of being able to witness the older sister’s soft side that she refuses to show to anyone.

 

It’s kind of sad that those times have now come to an end.

 

But of course, it’s only the end when she decides it is. It may be harder to approach Eunbi now since she can no longer make use of the same excuse, but has that deterred her before? Of course not, she will just have to find another method.

 

The trip to the castle didn’t take all that long and upon seeing the Kim Family crest, the guards let them pass, but Yerin stayed back a little to ask the guard on duty if Sojung has returned. It turns out that she had arrived not too long ago and was currently attending to the princess as her personal guard for that day.

 

Looks like whatever her business was the previous night, she managed to finish it with no problems.

 

They were led by one of the servants towards the hall where the rest of the guests were currently mingling, long tables placed at the sides carrying various snacks and sweets while the other servants went around offering drinks to the guests. Each confectionery was beautifully made, ranging from cakes to chocolates to biscuits of all shapes and sizes, one would immediately know that it was made by the royal family’s personal chef.

 

Just as they arrived with their presence announced by a servant, Yerin feels a small tap on her shoulder and turns around to see her Eunha beaming up at her.

 

“Little sister!” Yerin happily greets, spreading her arms wide and engulfing her in a tight embrace.

 

“You act as if you’ve never seen me for months.” Eunha chuckles.

 

“Days, months, it doesn’t matter, I miss you all the time.” Yerin retorts, finally deciding to let her go, “I would assume you’ll be by the princess’ side, are you on a break?”

 

“Not exactly, I’m actually here to greet the guests in her highness’s place,” she tells her so Yerin steps aside so she can do her duties. She bows slightly, placing a hand on her chest as she introduces herself, “Greetings to you both, I am the princess’ head maid, Eunha. On behalf of her highness, I would like to extend our thanks for attending this party despite the short notice. The princess is still currently busy with some of the other guests, but she will be attending to you shortly.”

 

“Thank you although we should be the one thanking you for inviting us. Please inform her highness to take her time, we don’t mind waiting.” Yewon was the one who answers while Eunbi just nods her head in agreement.

 

“I understand, I will be sure to relay your words.” Eunha then turns to Yerin, “Are you alone Yerin?”
 

“That’s right. Yuna decided to stay behind.” Yerin tells her.

 

“Stay behind? You mean she’s still at the viscount’s home?” she stares, eyes widening.

 

“Our duties are the guard the viscount and his family, after all, so we decided to split up.” the knight tilts her head at how her sister was acting at the news, “Is something the matter?”

 

“It’s nothing.” Eunha smiles, although she could easily tell it was forced, “I have to go to her highness. I’ll see you later? Oh, and,” she motions for Yerin to lean closer, leaning forward to whisper to her, “Happy birthday.”

 

Yerin grins from ear to ear, once more engulfing the younger woman in an embrace, “Thank you. You’re definitely the best sister in the world.”

 

“I know, you can let me go now.” she laughs while patting the knight’s shoulder.

 

“Oh, by the way, I heard Sojung is escorting the princess, do you mind if I join you? I need to talk to her.”

 

“You just don’t want to be away from me.”

 

“You read me like a book little sister.”

 

Eunha just sighs and beckons her to follow.

 

“I won’t take long,” she tells the sisters who just nod.

 

While the siblings were walking towards one of the tables, Eunha looks over at her sister, “I heard from a certain bird that one of those sisters have caught your fancy.”

 

Yerin groans, “Is Sojung that little bird…?”

 

The younger woman just grins, confirming her assumption. She should really think twice before telling her captain anything.

 

“Well you know me little sister, anything beautiful that moves and is human and female will always catch my fancy.”

 

“And as your sister, I can tell you’re trying to hold yourself back because you’re scared of scaring her away.”

 

Yerin backtracks at the bluntness of her words, “O-Of course not, whatever are you saying—“

“You’ve been looking at her even before you settled down but never spoke a single word about it, it’s not like you.” Eunha cuts her off, “Normally you’d shower them with praises until they slap you in the face for being creepy.”

 

“I can’t be that bad.” Yerin looks offended, “I know when I’ve overstepped boundaries.”

 

“I’m just joking.” Eunha laughs, “Still, I don’t think Eunbi would be a good choice sister.”

 

This catches her attention, “Why not?”

 

“…I hear that her parents have decided on a spouse for her. I overheard that the person has a connection with the royal family and so…” Eunha pauses in her tracks to look at Yerin straight in the eye, “For your sake, please stop yourself from pursuing her while you can.”

 

Yerin frowns, they haven’t even gotten that close yet and her hopes were already being dashed like this.

 

Normally she wouldn’t care, she is of nobility as well after all, but if it involves the Royal Family, then that’s an entirely different story. If she caused trouble, her sister will undoubtedly get involved in it as well.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“You don’t have to apologize.” Yerin smiles, patting her head affectionately.

 

“I don’t like bringing you something like this, on your birthday of all days.” Eunha continues to say in a small voice.

 

“You were just looking out for me, you’ve got nothing to apologize for.” she assures her, “Now let’s leave that for another day. It won’t do us any good if we’re all depressed like this at a party her highness arranged. Chin up.” she gently pats her cheeks as she says this.

 

She nods meekly before breathing in deep and squaring her shoulders, “Let’s go.”

 

Yerin smiles down at the woman proudly, “That’s my sister.”

 

“Still, Yerin, thank you.”

 

“For?”

 

“For fighting for us. We’ve had suffered the same fate if you didn’t take us away from home.”

 

“Be married and made to sit home and having the only role in society being to birth heirs? Disgusting.”

 

“I know.”

 

The sisters share a laugh before resuming their initial purpose.

 

The princess was currently surrounded by a handful of nobles conversing with her eagerly, about what, the two didn’t bother to know. Normally she would be overwhelmed by the number of people but with the presence of the person beside her, the nobles couldn’t make any careless moves.

 

The figure of Sojung was easy to spot, what with her tall stature she was practically towering over most of the nobles. Standing straight just slightly behind the princess, hands behind her back while keeping a close eye on the person she was guarding, she easily emitted the atmosphere of a person constantly on guard and capable of slicing someone’s hand off the second something goes wrong.

 

It’s also the same reason why no one dares to approach her.

 

“You should learn to smile once in a while.” Yerin tells her once she was within earshot, the captain of the King’s Guard didn’t even spare her a glance.

 

“I smile just fine.” she answers, “But it’s not needed here.”

 

Yerin gives her a once over and immediately notices something, “Are you wounded?”

 

This time she successfully catches her attention.

 

“You’re flinching whenever someone gets near your shoulder, what’s wrong?”

 

“It’s just a graze.”

 

“You’re also leaning your weight on one foot, is your foot okay? Did you get into a fight? Is that the reason you weren’t in your quarters last night?”

 

“You visited the barracks last night?” she asks back, a typical strategy she does when she doesn’t want to answer questions.

 

“The others said you left for business, it must be serious if it got you injured like that.” Yerin tells her, “But fine. If it’s official business then I won’t pry. Just make sure you don’t push yourself too much today.”

 

Sojung finally cracks a smile, “You don’t have to worry, I’m not the only one doing the guarding here. If the situation calls for it, I’ll put you to work too. Make sure to carry Yuna’s share while you’re at it.”

 

“You’re a slave driver.” she grumbles, “How did you know Yuna’s not here anyway?”

 

Sojung pauses for a split second, “I would assume since I can’t see her anywhere.”

 

‘You’d normally ask someone where they are if you can’t see them.’ Yerin thinks to herself.

 

“Where is she anyway?”

“She stayed behind to guard the Viscount.” Yerin explains once more. At this rate, she can assume that Yuna is a favorite with the number of people looking for her. Her only comfort is the fact Eunbi and her sister didn’t ask her the same question.

 

“That’s just like to take her duty seriously… unlike someone I know.”

 

“…I hope you trip.”

 

“Weren’t you just telling me to take it easy today?”

 

“I take it back.”

 

“Bickering as usual aren’t we, chevalières?” the two look up seeing the princess approach them with Eunha by her side. The two immediately bow in greeting.

 

“She started it.” Yerin immediately points to Sojung.

 

“We know who the troublemaker between the two of us is.”

 

“Right. It’s certainly not me.”

 

“This is exactly why you’re a troublemaker Yerin.”

 

The princess just laughs at the exchange, finding the situation more funny than offensive, “Anyhow, I hear that the Kims are here, we can finally start the party.”

 

“Yes.” Sojung agrees.

 

The younger knight shifts her gaze between the two, “Are we the last ones to arrive? But we made sure to come on time… Come to think of it, everyone else arrived quite early.”

 

“It was done on purpose.” the princess explains to her, “Because it’s not me who is the center of this party, but Yewon.”

 

Yerin blinks, “Is this actually a birthday party for Yewon, your highness? I wasn’t informed you were friends.”

 

“We’ve been friends since she was little, and I’ve come to think of her as a little sister of sorts.” she answers, “The last thing I want is to miss her birthday, so since I can’t visit her, I may as well bring her here.”

 

“I’m sure she would appreciate the gesture, your highness.”

 

“I sure hope so.” she smiles, “I’m about to make an announcement, would it be alright if I ask you to accompany Miss Kim here?”

 

“As you command.” Yerin bows before heading towards where the sisters were.

 

“You’re back.” Eunbi states, looking over her shoulder and sees the princess with Sojung and Eunha heading to the front of the hall, “Her Highness didn’t join you?” she asks, thinking that she was supposed to greet them when she was done conversing with other nobles, but it didn’t seem to be the case.

 

“Her Highness asked something from me.” Yerin explains, nodding over to Yewon as a look of understanding dawns on the older sibling. She then proceeds towards her and offers a hand to the curious Yewon who just stares in question at the gesture.

 

“If I may, milady?”

 

“I… huh?” confused, Yewon takes the hand and follows the knight as she leads her to the front where the princess stands, all eyes on them as they walk down the path.

 

“This is…” Yewon mumbles as she looks around, realization settling when she finds familiar faces all around her.

 

“Are they all people you know, milady?”

 

“Yes… we played around together when we were children. But that was a long time ago.” Yewon explains, a smile beginning to grace her features, “What is going on…?”

 

“I believe her highness would be the best person to explain that.” she tells her, finally reaching their destination and bowing towards the princess before attempting to take a step back. But before she could do so, she was pushed forward by both Eunha and Sojung from behind, causing her to stand beside Yewon who was just as surprised as she is.

 

“Everyone, you have my sincerest thanks for responding to the sudden invitation and gracing us with your presences today.” the princess begins to speak, a calm silence settling upon the hall as every guest, servant, and guard kept their attention on the person speaking, “I also thank you for indulging this selfish request of mine, choosing to clear your busy schedules to celebrate with me but I wanted it to be a special day for a certain person who is dear to me, and I am sure she holds a special place in your lives as well and today we celebrate one of the most important days of her life.

 

“Yewon,” the princess approaches, reaching forward and holding the younger noble’s hands in hers, “I wish you a happy birthday, and may this day be a joyous one for you.”

 

The shock on Yewon’s face as realization finally settles in was visible to everyone, “Your highness…”

 

“Come now, you can call me like you usually do.”

 

“…Irene-unnie.”

 

The princess smiles, her face beaming, “Happy birthday Yewon.”

 

“Thank you.” Yewon mirrors the smile, looping her arms around the older woman in an embrace while the rest of the guests bestow them with applause as well as greetings.

 

“That’s not all of it, however,” Irene suddenly says after pulling away from the embrace. She looks over Yewon’s shoulder and stares at Yerin who couldn’t help but stare back. Even Yewon looked confused.

 

“Yewon’s not the only one with a birthday today.” she explains as all eyes turn to Yerin who was beginning to look uncomfortable from the looks directed her way.

 

“Yerin, is that true?” Yewon approaches, surprised.

 

“…To be fair, I didn’t realize what day it is.” she laughs, “So I was just as surprised.”

 

“That sounds exactly like you.” Sojung grumbles under her breath.

 

“I heard that.”

 

“Still, what are the chances we would share the same birthdate.” Yewon happily holds her hands in hers, “Happy birthday Yerin!”

 

“Happy birthday to you as well Yewon.” she responds, finding it endearing how happy the woman is. She seemed unsure earlier at the thought that this whole party was just for her, but if there’s someone else sharing the burden with her, it looked like she can finally relax a little. Yerin, for one, wasn’t the type to make a big deal out of something like a birthday, but it didn’t seem so bad every once in a while.

 

“Yewon.”

 

Eunbi stands before them, holding the present that she entrusted to Yerin earlier. The knight had given it back to her when she escorted Yewon.

 

“Happy birthday.” she greets, smiling as she hands over her gift.

 

“Eunbi… You knew about this?”

 

“Of course I did, I planned it alongside her highness.” she answers matter-of-factly, then continues in a low voice, “We both know the people back at home wouldn’t bother, but I didn’t want it to be a sad day for you, so I—“

 

The rest of the words never got out when Yewon hugs the older tightly in her arms, mumbling her thanks as Eunbi reciprocates the hug.

 

“You’re always looking out for me.”

 

“Of course.”

 

It wasn’t long before the rest of the guests also offered their gifts and greetings, approaching Yewon left and right as she reconnected with all of her friends. While this was going on, Yerin stood at the sides with Eunha, Sojung, and the princess.

 

“I apologize for not making this as special for you chevalière.” the princess tells the knight.

 

“Don’t be your highness, the fact that Sojung and Eunha are here is enough for me. I just wish Yuna was here as well.” Yerin replies honestly.

 

“Sojung explained it to me and I requested that the both of you along with Eunha and Sojung be granted a reprieve from your duties for tomorrow.”

 

“Your highness, you already gifted me a sword, I can’t possibly accept this much generosity from you.” Yerin’s hand unconsciously clutches the new rapier resting snuggly on her waist, having received it from her not a few moments ago.

 

“The deed is already done.”

 

“I—You really are—“ she sighs, giving up, “Thank you, your highness.”

 

The royal nods her head in approval.

 

“You know what would be perfect for this occasion, your highness?” Eunha suddenly speaks up, “The celebrators share a dance.”

 

“Wh—“

 

“That’s a splendid idea, Eunha. Go and inform the musicians.”

 

“Pardon—“

 

“At once.” her head maid scurries off.

 

“I swear my little sister is beginning to take after you more, your highness.” Yerin grumbles, already seeing her sister talking with the musicians who were nodding to her every word.

 

“That just means I’m being a good influence.” Irene smiles.

 

Yerin wants to speak against her words, but the music immediately changed to a familiar tune that most nobles have already become familiar with. Just from the music alone, they already know that it is time to dance and Yerin can only begrudgingly march through the crowd towards Yewon (after a lot of convincing from Sojung and Eunha) as men begin to ask her for a dance but with the number of people asking, the young noble was having a hard time choosing on who to oblige.

 

And the last thing Yerin wants is to see a young maiden troubled on her special day.

 

Steeling her resolve, she hastens her footsteps and immediately makes it to Yewon’s side.

 

“May I have this dance, milady?” she offers her hand out with a small bow, earning confused looks from not only the woman herself but also from the gentlemen around her.

 

“Yerin.” Yewon sounded relieved and takes her hand without a second thought, to the displeasure of the majority of the men.

 

“I apologize for stealing the march on you, good sirs.” Yerin tells the crowd, even though she didn’t want to apologize since they were troubling the woman, but she didn’t want to leave a bad impression and tarnish the reputation of Yewon just because of her actions, “Her Highness informed me that the first dance should be for the celebrators.”

 

She feels a little bad for using the princess’ authority in this case, but she didn’t exactly lie.

 

That seemed to have worked as the group dispersed and began asking the other ladies instead.

 

Yewon heaves out a relieved sigh, “Thank you for that chevalière.”

 

“I am here on an official mission after all.” Yerin says, “Though I do want to help even if I wasn’t asked to. Still, I can only buy you a little time, but we may as well enjoy this dance before someone else succeeds in stealing you away from me.”

 

Yerin waits until she places her hand on her shoulder before making the move to place her hand on her waist as they begin to sway to the music.

 

“They’re not bad people, but they do have the habit of being too competitive with one another. I see that hasn’t changed even after all these years.”

 

“I’ll take your word for it. Still, that makes me feel a little competitive as well. I’m very sure at this very moment they’re judging my dancing skills.” Yerin looks to her periphery and immediately notices the looks in their direction. Yewon seemed to be well-known amongst the nobles.

 

“You’re dancing splendidly though?”

 

“I have, at the very least, absolute confidence in my dancing prowess.”

 

“What a coincidence, me as well. We should make sure no one bests our dance then.” Yewon says to which Yerin agrees eagerly.

 

The next few minutes, the guest and spectators were left astounded as the two waltzed around the floor, bright smiles on their faces as they both enjoyed their dance up until the music finally ends and changes in tune, signifying the start of the next dance. The both of them take a step back from each other and bows to one another.

 

“You’re true to your word milady.” Yerin chuckles, “You danced beautifully.”
 

“I have to say the same thing to you chevalière, and the only reason I learned is because Eunbi taught me.”

 

Yerin blinks, looking over her shoulder to see the older sibling just sipping drinks in one corner and turning down any invitation from the other nobles with just a glare, “If that’s true I should go and ask her then.”

 

“That’s—“

 

“Madame Yewon, would you do me the honor of joining me for a dance?” a noble gets in between them and immediately offers a hand to the woman who takes a step back at the person’s sudden appearance.

 

“Oh, uh okay.” she stammers, taking the hand and turning to Yerin who just assures her that it was alright and watches as they return to the center and join the others in dancing. She then takes this opportunity to approach the lonesome noble on the corner and stands by her side, watching the couples dancing alongside her.

 

“No lady striking your fancy chevalière?” Eunbi was the first one to speak.

 

“There is, though I’m not sure if she would like to dance.”

 

She scoffs, “Knowing you, you’ll always find a way. Never mind that though, why didn’t you tell me?”
 

Yerin looks over for a brief moment, “About?”

 

“That today is also your birthday, and the whole time you were helping me with Yewon’s gift.” Eunbi almost sounded guilty as she says this.

 

“But the whole thing was about Yewon wasn’t it?” she answers, “It didn’t seem right for me to insert myself in that picture.”

 

“The only reason I managed to finish that gift was because of your help.” Eunbi grumbles, “And now I feel bad that I’ve got nothing for you when Yewon’s gift is as much of an effort of yours as it is of mine.”

 

“I did that of my own free will though? And you had no way of knowing in the first place.”
 

“You should have told me then.”

 

Yerin blinks, brows furrowed at the sudden reversal, “…All of a sudden it’s my fault…?”

 

“So if you want anything, now is the time.”

 

The knight regards the noble beside her, still confused at what she was trying to say.

 

“Could it be you’re actually trying to gift me something, Eunbi?”

 

“It’s only in return for helping me with Yewon’s gift! Don’t misunderstand.”

 

Yerin stares at the noble eagerly, “A wish from Madame Eunbi?”

 

“If you don’t make up your mind in the next second—“

 

“Dance with me then?” she cuts her off, taking a few steps so that she was in front of her, extending out her hand to offer to the lady, “Would you do me the honor of this dance, milady?” she rephrases, realizing that she blurted that out too eagerly that made it sound slightly disrespectful, but of course she didn’t want this opportunity to pass by.

 

She knew what Eunha had told her earlier, but still, in the end, she would still want to be by this person’s side.

 

“…Is that all you want?”

 

Yerin nods her head strongly, “If anything, I would consider this to be the best gift I can have.”

 

“You exaggerate. There’s no way I can be a match to the sword her highness gave you.” Eunbi grumbles but makes a move to hold her hand. The beam on Yerin’s face was immediate.

 

“Try not to step on my feet chevalière.”

 

She laughs, “I’ll do my best to be a worthy partner for you, milady.”

 


I've watched too much anime and read to much manga ._.

while I was writing this, I was reminded of the fact that this was supposed to be romance and I forgot lol

anyway, I hope this update was to your liking, and also it's very late but this was meant to be posted on Yesis birthday. I feel ashamed for pushing it back >_<

I'm not sure when the next update will be, but we'll see.

thank you very much for the warm welcome uwu, I honestly expected people to abandon this fic a long time ago XD still, thank you for reading and thank you as well for the comments. i will forever appreciate and love them. 

i shall see you on the next update, until then I'm gonna take a break and just play some games to relax a bit :D

stan GFRIEND for a better life