Unveiling

Black Rose

Sojung made no move to answer the woman’s challenge.

 

“Enough with this nonsense, Yerin. How can you suspect me to be the Black Rose of all people?”

 

“Then you will just have to prove me wrong, don’t you?” she answers, her stance not faltering for one bit, “And regardless of whether you are or not, as a fellow knight, you need to accept the duel.”

 

The King’s Guard captain’s frown deepens, making a move to unsheathe the sword on her waist. Yerin wasn’t wrong; as a knight of the kingdom as well as captain of the King’s Guard, she has the obligation to accept any duel provided that there were no conditions to it besides only determining who is the better knight between the two. She has every right to refuse should she be challenged under a win or lose condition, but Yerin made no demands should she win. She did not tell Sojung to tell her the truth should she be the victor between the both of them, thus she has no choice but to accept Yerin’s challenge.

 

“You say this with quite the confident air around you, Yerin, but we both know that you have never bested me in combat.” Sojung takes her stance, stepping her left foot back so that only her side was visible to Yerin. She crouches slightly and raises her rapier.

 

“Yuna has been drilling me with our spars every morning. You never know I may just get lucky.” Yerin answers.

 

“Luck has no place here. Only skill.”

 

"The only way to find out is once we cross weapons." Yerin takes her stance, her gaze sharpening as she takes in Sojung's posture. Just as she expected of her superior; the woman left no holes for her to exploit even just before they start. Yerin steeled herself for the incoming attack. Even before she proposed this duel, she already knew that there was no way for her to defeat Sojung in a fair fight -- the woman was simply too experienced. But she had to try, to find the answers that she seeks.

 

After what felt like an eternity of sizing up one another, Yerin decides to make the first move. She lunges in for a first strike, her arm and rapier extended, and, without hesitation, made a move to aim for a deadly strike. However, with a mere flick of the wrist, Sojung's blade connects with hers, parrying it just enough to miss her mark by a small margin and another move causes her blade to retaliate for a counter-strike. Yerin hisses when she barely moves her face to the side to avoid the sharp end of the knight's weapon.

 

With swift footsteps, she withdraws, putting distance between the two of them once more. Sojung's stance was just how it was from the start, showing Yerin just how much skill she showed to be able to make her relinquish her attack in just a few movements.

 

Yerin just knew, there was no way of winning this duel.

 

However, despite the seemingly impossible task, she must push on.

 

Yerin adjusts her stance once more, but before she could even do so, Sojung takes swift steps, closing the distance between them in a second, and lunges for a strike. Yerin tries to parry, her stance broken at the sudden movement, and is forced to take a step back to avoid being hit. She gains footing after a while and tries to retaliate with a quick jab, but Sojung is able to dodge it effortlessly.

 

Knowing that her captain wouldn't want to let this opportunity slip by, Yerin was prepared when Sojung lunges once more, however, she is already in the midst of an attack, adjusting her grip on her weapon, she moves to parry the weapon by forcing it through, aiming for the captain's wrist.

 

However, Sojung looked to have anticipated that move and was already there to meet her, parrying her blade yet again. Frowning, the dame is left with no choice but to retreat, but Sojung didn't think so.

 

With swift movements, she had locked a foot behind her opponent's causing Yerin to take a stumble when she tried to take a step back. With Yerin on the ground, Sojung takes that opportunity to bring her weapon down for the final attack but the younger knight manages to bring up her sword just in time but ended up grazing her arm in return.

 

Yerin is left with no choice, before Sojung can even attack once again she extends out her arm, forcing her captain to take a step back to avoid the blade.

 

Once clear, she quickly gets back to her feet, putting distance between them once more. Her arm stings from the cut but she pays it no mind. She has to focus on the duel if she wants to win. She takes her stance once more, determined to not let Sojung take the upper hand again. However, this time, the Captain doesn't seem to have any plans in staying still as she lunges forward. With her far reach, it didn't take much for her to cover the distance between them and catch Yerin unaware. Yerin curses when she makes a move to avoid the blade but fails, feeling the sharp sting of the metal cutting through her skin.

 

She knows that she won't be able to win this duel at this rate. She has to find a way to turn the tables around but with how seriously Sojung was taking this duel, the chance of such a thing happening is close to none. Yerin takes a deep breath, parrying her weapon and forcing it back. Her grip tightens on her weapon as she prepares for the barrage of attacks that were to follow, knowing how her captain fought. And just as she expected-- without giving her a moment to think, Sojung once more goes for the attack, her captain relentless and giving her no time to rest or think. It was all she could do until Sojung manages to get a lucky strike in, her blade grazing her side and causing Yerin to falter in her step and hit the ground with a grunt.

 

Sojung stands atop the fallen knight, her rapier pointed at her neck close enough that if she moves even the slightest bit, the tip would immediately stab into her.

 

“It seems luck has run out, hasn’t it?”

 

Yerin groans, “I yield.”

 

The captain huffs, withdrawing her weapon and sheathing it before reaching a hand out to her fellow knight who took it wordlessly.

 

“For a person sporting an injured leg, you sure don’t hesitate to pound me into smithereens, do you?”

 

“That’s what you get for challenging me in the first place.” she answers, “In the end, it was all for naught.”

 

To her surprise, Yerin smiles, “Oh, I wouldn’t really say that.” she says, dusting off her clothes, “After all… The goal wasn’t winning.”

 

Sojung’s brows furrow in confusion and apprehension, “What do you mean by that?”

 

“I got what I needed to know. I’m sure you remember well that I also fought the Black Rose. It’s a memory that has been etched into my very being, so I would know immediately if she is you. This duel has provided me the answer I seek.”

 

The taller woman hesitates to respond for a bit, not knowing how to approach the conversation. In the end, she decides to ask, “And what have you found out?”

 

“You are not her.”

 

Sojung huffs, “As I told you from the very start, Yerin. You should know more than to believe baseless accusations, you wouldn’t be suffering from these injuries if you only listened.”

 

“Oh, I did not doubt that it wasn’t you, but this duel wasn’t just for me, you know?”

 

“…What?”

 

Yerin turns to the side, “What do you think, Yuna?”

 

The captain turns abruptly to the direction Yerin was staring and finds their fellow knight making her way towards them, a slightly apprehensive expression directed at her. The bandages wrapped around her arm and neck were made visible, as well as the coloring bruise she was sporting on her cheek more prominent than it was the previous day.

 

The sight of her makes Sojung unconsciously grimace.

 

She pauses as she takes in Yerin’s current state and heaves out a sigh, “I think you’re stupid for doing this in the first place, Yerin.”

 

“Wh—This is what I get after putting my life on the line for you?” Yerin complains.

 

“I never asked you to do this in the first place.” Yuna grumbles, “Nevertheless, you did amazing… and thank you. I’ve also reached my own conclusion because of this.”

 

Yerin grins widely, nodding her head in satisfaction, “And? Your verdict?”

 

Yuna sighs before turning to Sojung. The smile on her face disappears, staring at the captain of the King’s Guard as if she was trying to think of the best way to say the words she wished to convey. After a while of silence, she finally approaches until she was a mere foot away from the knight.

 

“…There’s no doubt you’re the one I fought that night.” Yuna mumbles, Sojung’s hardened expression faltering for a bit, “But I also have complete faith in Yerin’s words.”

 

“Which means one thing, doesn’t it?” Yerin makes her way to her side.

 

“…There’s not just one of you, is there…?” Yuna tells her, “The Black Rose is never just one person, it’s no wonder that no one ever got the right description since you are all different people in the first place. If the Black Rose was the person Yerin saw and fought, everyone would take notice of the blonde hair immediately, but no, the others have been attacked by someone with a different hair color. But I will never understand, just what is your goal with all of this? Why target nobles when you are one yourself, Sojung?”

 

The knight makes no attempt to answer.

 

“I expected as much.” Yerin just smiles, “I guess it’s up to us to figure out the truth for ourselves then.”

 

Yerin turns to Yuna who nods in response before making a move to leave the training grounds.


“Stop, you two. Don’t dig deeper into any of this.”

 

They both turn to face their captain, she continues, “This is not your battle… It would be best if you remain uninvolved.”

 

“You do know that we’re the type of people who would want to be more involved when you say things that way.”

 

“I’m serious Yerin. Stay out of this.” Sojung nearly growls, taking both knights aback with the sudden aggression, “This is a fight that only needs us. Our motives do not involve both of you, so let us keep it that way.”

 

“I suppose it is dangerous considering you are picking a fight with the nobility… and that includes the Royal Family, the same people we are supposed to protect.” Yuna says, folding her arms across her chest.

 

Sojung nods her head firmly.

 

“For some reason, I find it hard to believe.” Yerin mumbles, her eyes narrowing slightly, “That you would hold such a noble cause to seek animosity with His Majesty.”

 

“This is all for the sake of the Kingdom, Yerin.”

 

“Is it, really?” Yerin taunts, “I would have believed you should you have said that your enemy is merely the nobility, but the Royal Family?”

 

“…What are you trying to say?”

 

“Because I do not believe that you would do anything that would put Eunha in harm’s way.” Yerin points out, “And if you are, then I, as her sister, have every right to tell you to stay away from her from now on.”

 

“Yerin—“

 

“I may not look like it, but I am protective of Eunha. I am sure you know this more than anyone. I would risk my nobility for her, my place in the family for her sake. I would be willing to sacrifice my life for her safety if need be, she is the main reason why I became a knight in the first place.” Yerin takes a step forward, jaw hardening as she continues, “It would be hard to believe that someone like you who values her just as much as I do would go against the Royal Family, the same family who she is currently serving… or have you been using my sister this whole time?”

 

“I would never!”

 

“Then what is your real goal? If you refuse to answer, then I will have to do everything in my power to keep my sister from getting in harm’s way.” she tells her, “And that includes keeping her away from you, Sojung.”

 

---

 

Yuna stares wordlessly in worry as the doctor checks up on Yerin. A thick roll of bandages has wrapped the cut on her arms but the blood on the wound has seeped through the cloth, showing just how deep the wound was. As of the moment, he was tending to the cuts on her cheek and neck as well as a deep cut and some bruises on her torso but it was something that she preferred the nurse to take care of.

 

“So what do we do now?” she asks her the moment the doctor leaves after giving her a prescription.

 

“…What else but adhere to Sojung’s request?” Yerin shrugs.

 

“I can’t help but think what it is that’s made her and Eunbi work together in the first place.”

 

After Yerin’s threat to Sojung, the King’s Guard captain asked them to give her some time to think it over, obviously not liking the fact that Yerin could do what she said and that she was at a huge disadvantage. It was better than being completely refused, at the very least and thus they gave her the time she needed.

 

But before they left, Sojung had asked them to do her a favor.

 

---

 

 

“…I realized that I may be asking for too much, but please return to your posts.” She had told them not long after.

 

“Do you mean to Viscount Kim?”

 

“Yes. There is no need to protect them, we have no plans to attack them, but the Viscount is someone we have to keep a watchful eye on.”

 

The two knights turn to each other, “You won’t be telling us why, will you?”

 

“That will have to wait until I’ve made a decision.”

 

Yerin sighs, “Have it your way then. I’ll go on ahead and get this hand of mine tended to. Yuna, you too, you’re also not in the best of states.”

 

“…You two, I apologize.”


“We don’t need it. On our honor, as knights, we fought a duel fair and square.” Yuna tells her, back straightening, “You bested us because you have the skills for it. To apologize for winning… such a thing hurts my pride and honor, so I would prefer you don’t do it.”

 

“Same here. But don’t think this is the last time I will challenge you.” Yerin speaks up.

 

Sojung stares at the two, the guilt in her system slowly dissipating at their words before a smile creeps up on her face. A smile that shows just how proud she is of the both of them. She’s been with the two since they were squires, and she doesn’t regret one bit that she brought them into her company.

 

They’ve grown far more than she expected.

 

“I understand. I applaud you two for doing well. I will also look forward to the next duel, Yerin.”

 

“You better.” Yerin nods her head firmly, “Anyhow, we should go. We’ll see you then Sojung.”

 

---

 

“Sojung sure made it seem like we should be careful of the Viscount, didn’t she?” Yuna guesses.

 

“She didn’t make it seem that way, she was telling us to be careful of him.” Yerin shrugs, “And I have to agree, his son wouldn’t grow that way if he didn’t inherit it somewhere. Both Eunbi and Yewon spent less time with the Viscount as children so they don’t act the way he does. Guessing from that alone, one can have an idea the kind of person the Viscount really is.”

 

“That’s true. I guess this means that we have to go back as soon as we can.”

 

“We do… but…” Yerin groans, tiredly resting against the backrest of her seat.

 

“You don’t want to?”

 

“I do want to, of course, it’s a chance to be with Eunbi after all now that I’m sure that she’s the Black Rose that I fought…” she pouts a little as her voice turns small, “But I may or may not have told her I won’t be seeing her anymore…?”

 

“What?”

 

“I may have made it sound like a final farewell…?”

 

Yuna just stares at her tiredly.

 

“To be fair, I really thought that confronting Sojung would mean finishing our duties with the Kims, but I would never have expected her to tell me to go back.” Yerin grabs a nearby throw pillow and buries her face in it, “I have no idea how to face Eunbi at this rate.”

 

“For someone quite good at charming women with words, this is the first time I’ve seen you so troubled over a woman.” Yuna muses, “I’m sure it won’t be as big of a problem as you make it out to be. We can just say that Sojung ordered us to return.”

 

“…And how do I explain to her why I said farewell?”

 

“You deal with that on your own.”

 

Yerin tosses the pillow at her, “You’re of no help.”

 

Her fellow knight dodges effortlessly, “I was not the one who put herself in trouble.”

 

She groans into the other pillow in her hands, “This is all Sojung’s fault.  I think it would be best if I don’t show up for a while.”

 

“And ignore orders from the captain?”

 

She shrugs, “It’s not the first time. I’ll just say I’m recuperating from the duel.”

 

“Wouldn’t that apply to me as well?”

 

“I’m in a worse state though.”

 

Yuna sighs, finding it tiring to have to convince Yerin to fulfill her duties just because she was avoiding a woman.

 

“Chin up Yerin. It’s already been arranged that we ride this evening back to the Viscount’s residence.” she ignores her protest and continues, “I’m sure she will understand when she sees our current state. One look at our appearances, it’s already visible that something occurred during our time here.”

 

Her fellow knight makes no move to get up from her spot.

 

“You do remember that the Captain and Madame Eunbi are working together— she will know what happened to us soon enough.” Yuna takes a seat in the space beside her, “And Sojung will have mentioned sending us back to their estate. I am sure that she would think you’re avoiding her on purpose.”

 

Yerin sighs heavily through the pillow and finally sits up after a minute of contemplation.

 

“I dislike it when you’re right.” she grumbles, getting to her feet with Yuna following suit, “Hopefully, the trip will give me enough peace to think of a good reason to tell her.”

 

“I shall pray for your soul if things do not go well.”

 

“Some encouragement you are, Yuna.”

 

---

 

“Is something the matter Eunbi?” Yewon approaches her sister. Said person had locked herself in her room ever since their return from the party and refused to leave. Thinking that something was wrong, Yewon made her way to check on her current state only to witness the said noble staring out the window of her room down at the courtyard where some of the guards were currently gathered. Due to the incident the previous night, the security around the area has been increased and thus it was more crowded than when they left a couple of days ago.

 

“There’s nothing wrong,” she answers succinctly, her gaze from the window not wavering.

 

“You know better than anyone else that I wouldn’t believe that.” Yewon occupies a nearby seat, looking over at the woman once she was settled, “Is it Dame Yerin?”

 

“…What about her?”

 

“I noticed that you did not bid her farewell when we left. Did you have an argument?”

 

“No argument happened.”

 

“And yet you do not deny that she is the one you are thinking about.” she says, earning a heavy silence from the woman, “…Stay away from her, Eunbi.” she warns.

 

“Like what I’ve told you before, I am merely keeping an eye on her.”

 

“But the sight of you brooding like this seems to prove that statement untrue?”

 

“I am not brooding.” Eunbi retorts sharply, finally turning to face her sibling, “Stop rattling off baseless accusations, there is nothing between me and that knight.”

 

Yewon just stares back, eyes narrowed slightly before heaving out a sigh, “Alright. I’m sorry Eunbi. I just want this to work. The fewer people involved with us, the better.”

 

Her sister just shakes her head and returns her gaze to the window, her brows furrowing and her teeth biting onto her lower lip as she tries to keep her thoughts straight. Although she did say that just to appease Yewon’s curiosity, her mind still stubbornly brings her back to her last conversation with Yerin. A sense of foreboding existed within her words, and it felt worse not knowing what it was.

 

“I’m not worried. Why would I be worried?” she repeatedly thinks to herself, but the discomfort would not go away.

 

In fact, she herself does not understand her own thoughts. It felt like two contradictions were facing off in her mind and her emotions were caught in between. And thus, amidst the confusion, her feelings and mood all feel like it’s riding on a berserk horse.

 

She has no doubt that she feels frustrated at Yerin, but could not explain why. Perhaps it was because she bid her farewell without supplying her with a reason? Or that she prioritized her “friend” over her duties as a knight? Did she think it was dishonorable for her to do such?

 

She doesn’t understand what exactly it was that irks her, but here she was anyway, her mood worsening the more that she thought about it but came up with no answers.

 

‘What in the world are you doing to me, Dame Yerin?’ she grumbles to herself, heaving out a sigh as she continues to stare out the window.

 

‘I have no time for this.’ she straightens herself, bringing her focus back to the task at hand. Yewon was right, there was nothing good that would come out of pulling in others to their situation. Having Yerin stay away was a favorable situation for them. They no longer have to be careful around the two and can proceed with their original tasks as planned.

 

Speaking of which…

 

“Where’s Yuna?” Eunbi couldn’t help but question, remembering that she was supposed to be staying at the estate instead of coming with them to the party.

 

“I suppose she went back to the city. After all, if she stayed, then she no doubt encountered Sojung.” Yewon says, “What I’m more worried about is that Sojung made no mention of it to any of us.”

 

“Well she did manage to get to the party, so it couldn’t have gone too bad.” her sibling remarks, but frowns when she notices Yewon didn’t seem to be convinced, “What’s wrong?”

 

“It’s nothing.”

 

“It can’t be nothing when you’re looking that worried little sister.”

 

“I’m just a few months younger than you.” she retorts, “Still, you’re right. I’m concerned for Yuna’s well-being. If she fought Sojung, I doubt she would have left unscathed.”

 

Eunbi scoffs, “And here you tell me to stay away from Yerin.”

 

“Because she is obviously making advances on you.” Yewon answers, “At the very least, Yuna is merely acting like a friend.”


“Yerin is just doing the same way, albeit her methods tend to be questionable.”

 

Eunbi pauses when she realizes what she just did, Yewon looking up at her with a brow raised.

 

“…Is there any chance that you’re actually becoming attracted to her?”

 

“No!”

 

“I hear denial.”

 

“I am denying the allegation.”

 

Yewon just shakes her head, jumping to her feet with a chuckle, “Whatever you say Eunbi. I won’t bother with your preferences or your life any longer, but do make sure that it does not do anything to keep our tasks from being done.”

 

Eunbi just rolls her eyes, focusing her gaze once more outside the window. The talk with Yewon somewhat helped in calming down her chaotic mind even though the difference wasn’t that significant.

 

‘Attracted?’ the noble scoffs to herself, finding the notion absurd. Not a single fiber of the person named Yerin was attractive.

 

A commotion at the gates suddenly brings her out of her reverie and it just so happens that the view from her window gave her an adequate view of the commotion.

 

The gates were opened and two mares galloped their way inside, Eunbi’s eyes widening at the sight of the familiar red cape of the King’s Guard.

 

As her mind tries to make sense of the sight before her, her brows furrow in both confusion and wonder. The inner voice in her mind questioning what in the world the two chevaliers were doing back in the estate. Most especially Yerin. Didn’t she just say that their meeting in the city would be the last? So what in the world was she doing here?

 

She watches silently, trying to comprehend the exchange between their guards and the two knights, noticing immediately how they struggled with handling their rides that they had to seek help from the servants. The way they also slowly dismounted drew more curiosity since they looked to be having a hard time as compared to normal.

 

As if the number of questions going through her mind earlier wasn’t enough, they only seemed to have doubled at the mere sight of the two.

 

“Did something happen, chevalier?” she hears one of the guards question them, and she inches herself closer just to be able to hear better because, dying to know what is going on and why they were acting like they weren’t in the best of states.

 

“Did you break your arm, Dame Yuna?” another guard asks.

 

“It’s merely a sprain but the apothecary doctor advised that I not use my arm for a few days.” she replied.

 

“I requested that it be put in a sling so that she avoids using it.” Yerin interjects, hissing slightly when she grabs the reigns.

 

“You seem worse for wear too, Dame Yerin.”

 

“Ah, things happened. We found ourselves training too hard with the fellow knights.” she answers with a chuckle, but even Eunbi could easily notice how that wasn’t the whole truth.

 

Yerin and Yuna were one of the best in their ranks. Sojung has told them time and time again to be wary of the two just in case they notice something. Therefore, for them to be this injured would only mean that they fought someone more skilled than they are.

 

The number of people that had enough skill to best the two could only be counted on one hand.

 

She and Sojung had a talk when Yerin left during the party and the King’s Guard Captain told her about her encounter with Yuna. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that Yerin has also caught on. What confuses her is why Sojung hasn’t told them anything yet.

 

She watches as Yerin’s face breaks out into a grin at something the guard said, and all of a sudden Eunbi felt herself able to breathe again.

 

There was no mistaking the relief coursing through her system.

 

And almost at the same time, her mind was silenced of the gnawing thoughts as if they never existed just moments prior to the knights’ arrival.

 

Eunbi freezes before closing the curtains of her window a tad bit more aggressively than usual. And then, as if the relief she felt a few seconds before was all a figment of her imagination, she remembers their last conversation and annoyance easily overcomes all other emotions going through her mind.

 

‘She said she might not return? Then why is she back here then?’ she grumbles to herself, shaking her head and deciding that she doesn’t want anything to do with Yerin for the rest of the night.

 

---

 

Eunbi couldn’t help but glare at the person sitting across her from the table. Meanwhile, the said person, despite not looking at the face of the younger woman, could already feel the piercing stare boring holes on her head with how intense it was.

 

Yerin keeps herself from squirming in discomfort. Not only is she already having a hard time eating because of her injuries, but the attention that she was getting from Eunbi was also making it harder for her to focus.

 

It almost felt like she made a sin so unforgivable, Eunbi would practically cut her down on the spot if she so much moves a muscle.

 

“How was the party you two?” Viscount Kim suddenly speaks and turns his attention to his daughters. In a mere second, the atmosphere from earlier dissipates, replaced by dead silence, “It’s not every day that her highness hosts a party of her own accord. Is there something we should know?”

 

But Yewon, being the good daughter that she is, turns to her father and offers him a smile, “It was just a simple gathering between friends, father.”

 

“Why wasn’t I invited then?” Alfred interjects, a hint of a whine in his tone of voice.

 

“Because you’re not a friend,” Eunbi says matter-of-factly, resisting the urge to roll her eyes.

 

Yerin clears in an attempt to disguise the laugh that was about to escape .

 

“I see. Nevertheless, it’s good that you came back safely. I will have to thank both of you for this. As well as you, Dame Yuna, for keeping us safe when the Black Rose attacked.”

 

Yuna paused midway through her meal, as if contemplating what to say. She couldn’t exactly inform them that the person who attacked them was none other than the captain of the King’s guard.

 

“I was only doing my duty, sir,” she mumbles, forcing a smile before focusing her attention back on the meal and silently wishing that they drop the topic.

 

“Dame Yerin, it appears that you’re not the in the best state. Did something happen?”

 

This time it was Yerin who looked up, forcing a smile as well, “Ah yes, but it was only a small scuffle between me and our captain. Since Yuna was not with me, I asked our Captain to help me train, hence my current state. She’s our captain for a reason after all.”

 

Yuna just smiled, impressed how her fellow knight was able to tell the truth but not entirely.

 

Viscount Kim seemed to have bought the story and looked on, impressed, “I am in awe of your dedication Dame Yerin.” he nods in approval, “Now if only a certain son of mine took his training as seriously as you do.”

 

Alfred took offense and glared at his father in response but backed off when he answered with a glare of his own.

 

“I wouldn’t trust someone who could not even survive a few minutes with a knight to be the head of this family.” the noble continues, dabbing his mouth with a napkin, “Chevaliers, I understand that you are currently here on the orders of His Majesty, but would it be too much to ask if I were to request for your assistance in training my son?”

 

“I don’t need their help, father!” said person finally had enough and slammed his hands on the table.

 

Viscount Kim remained undeterred at the exclamation, “Say that when you have bested them at least once.”

 

“They were just fortunate for that one time! If I spar with them once more, I’m sure I will end up the victor!”
 

“And if you lose?” his father points a look at him, “Take note that they are both sustaining injuries. If they still manage to win against you in their current state, then what does that make you?”

 

Alfred immediately fell silent. The dining room completely quiet as they watched the father and son have a stare down.

 

“Father, if I may?” Yewon finally interrupts, “As you’ve said, Dames Yerin and Yuna aren’t in the best of states, isn’t asking them to train too much…?”

 

“I’m aware.” he nods, “They just need to watch over him and give him pointers to aid his progress. He will still have his usual teacher with him.”

 

“I see…”

 

“Well?” he turns to the two knights with a hopeful look, meanwhile, the two just share a glance and Yuna makes a move to speak—

 

But Yerin voices out her consent before she does.

 

“I’ll be able to aid him, monsieur.” she says, ignoring Yuna’s look of disapproval.

 

“Wonderful. I leave him in your capable hands Dame Yerin. I will be asking once in a while with regards to his progress if that would be fine.”

 

“That’s fine with me.”

 

The noble nods in approval, completely disregarding his son’s seething figure right beside him. He obviously disliked being unheard and ignored.

 

As Yerin resumes her meal, disregarding the gazes she was receiving from the others.

 

She wouldn’t blame them. After all, she’s already shared from the start how much she dislikes Alfred, so why did she agree to help him?

 

---

 

“Yerin, between the two of us you’re obviously the more injured so don’t use me as an excuse on why you accepted the Viscount’s offer instead of me.” Yuna tells her fellow knight frustratedly as they find themselves within Yerin’s chambers, getting ready to go to sleep.

 

“I know.”

 

Said knight was currently on the bed, trying to tend to her wounds.

 

“Then why?” Yuna stops her pacing and faces her properly.

 

“You’re too soft.” Yerin answers, rendering her speechless for a moment.

 

“Soft?”

 

“It’s not about our injuries, Yuna.” Yerin finally turns to face her, “Between knights, yes, I would consider you the best instructor, but for those who you know aren’t trained like we are, you’re too lenient. That kind of person needs to be smacked in the head countless times to get anything ingrained in that muscle-headed brain of his.”

 

“…I definitely can see you doing that to him.” Yuna mumbles, “Part of me thinks that you are just using this as an excuse to make a fool out of him.”

 

Yerin’s grin just makes Yuna roll her eyes at her.

 

“Fine, but if he steps out of line, I will be stepping in myself.”

 

“I doubt he’ll be able to do anything.”

 

“You don’t know that… not when we know there’s something going on with this family.”

 

Yerin falls silent, recalling the earlier conversation with Sojung.

 

“I’ll go on ahead and stand guard, will you be fine?”

 

Yerin just shoos her away, earning another eye roll from the knight before she finally leaves. Finally in the silence of her own company, the knight focuses on her injuries, tending and cleaning them the way the doctor has instructed. The wounds that she sustained from her fight with Sojung were still deep, hence the necessity to change bandages as much as possible, however it was getting more difficult when some of her injuries were in places out of reach.

 

Particularly the gash on the side. She doesn’t even understand how Sojung managed to bend her rapier and inflict a cut on her side that ran all the way somewhere on her back, but it didn’t change the fact she was having a hard time reaching the area without twisting her torso in pain.

 

Groaning in defeat, she takes a deep breath, mentally preparing herself for the possible pain she will inflict on herself just to reach that damned area—

 

“Not looking too good are we, chevalier?”

 

Yerin’s eyes widen at the sudden voice and her gaze turns abruptly to the door, seeing a familiar face standing there with arms folded across her chest and her signature cold features staring back at her.

 

“Eunbi—I—this—I would really appreciate it if you would knock first, madame.” Yerin hastily grabs her cape and drapes it over her unclothed figure.

 

She was dressing her wounds, of course there was a need to remove her clothes.

 

“I did, you were just unaware.” Eunbi mumbles, leaning against the doorway, “Deep in thought?”

 

“Perhaps.”

 

“Is it related to the reason why you’re sporting such aggravating injuries?”

 

Yerin falls silent. Now that the truth of Eunbi being the Black Rose has come to light, she doesn’t exactly know how to engage in a conversation with the person and keep calm at all times.

 

“From what I see, it doesn’t seem like something you would get from a mere spar.”

 

“…We tend to take our spars seriously when it comes to the Captain.”

 

It was a flimsy excuse, but thinking straight was definitely not something she can achieve at this point.

 

Eunbi just nods, “I see… Whatever the reason is, I feel that you deserve it.”

 

Said knight just frowns, though it was more of a pout, grumbling to herself, “I put my life on the line and this is what I get…”

 

“What was that?”

 

“Nothing you need concern yourself with.” she answers quickly, “Enough of that, is there anything I can help you with? Given that you’ve gone out of your way to visit this humble servant.”

 

Eunbi pauses, hesitance visible in her expression, but decides to go through with it either way, “What did you mean by what you said before we left?”

 

Yerin visibly freezes at that. She visibly had not been prepared to have the conversation this soon and is having a hard time conjuring an answer that would be deemed acceptable but will not reveal too much.

 

“Is it related to those injuries? It sounded as if you knew that you were getting them.”

 

“That’s—”

 

“Almost as if you would not survive the following day.” Eunbi’s voice softens into a whisper, the worry and concern seeping out unintentionally and Yerin witnesses a few of her walls breaking down. She swallows the lie that was about to escape her lips, feeling her chest twist almost painfully at the sudden vulnerability that the younger noble showcases before her.

 

She knew then and there that it was a sight she refused to see again.

 

“I—” Yerin breathes in, “There were things that I wanted answers to...” she begins to say, “Answers that I would willingly fight for…”

 

“And? Did you get those answers?” Eunbi stares and something shifts in the air. As if a silent conversation has ensued between them and a certain understanding has surfaced.

 

They knew. They understood. And words were no longer needed.

 

And as Yerin gazes into Eunbi’s eyes, she remembers the first time she saw them. Under the darkness of the night, though covered with a laced cloth, blindfolding her eyes, she could feel the same gaze that Eunbi was directing her now. The gaze of the Black Rose.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Was it worth it?”

 

Yerin smiles slightly, “Definitely.”

 

Eunbi just nods, a ghost of a smile framing her features before she assumes her cold façade once more.

 

The noble detaches herself from the doorway and enters the room fully, arm extended towards Yerin. The chevalier just looks at the outstretched hand in confusion.

 

“Give me that. I’ll dress your wounds.”

 

When Yerin takes over guard duties that evening, the wide grin on her face was impossible to miss.

 

---

 

Meanwhile, in the barracks, Sojung was hunched over a few papers when the flapping sounds of a raven interrupts the silence of the room. Looking up, she spots the familiar messenger bird and notices the note it carried.

 

She swiftly takes the note and reads it, heading over to the fireplace to dispose of it as soon as possible, but her eyes furrow in confusion upon seeing its contents.

 

Was it necessary to inflict such serious injuries on Yerin?’

 


 

A/N

While I find a way to get my twitter account back. I'll just continue working on this because the past few weeks have been so stressful so here's a small Christmas Gift for myself and from me to you ^^ Happy Holidays to everyone.

I'll also just edit some parts of the previous chapter a bit cuz I kept on using Royal Guard instead of King's Guard.

Also didn't bother to proofread so apologies for mistakes in advance!