Maiden

Black Rose

Yerin had various ideas on what their captain would consider a plan to draw the Black Rose out, but bodyguard duties was certainly not one of them.

 

After their return from the barony, Sojung went straight to the castle, informing the two that she had a few things to speak with the king about and left them to their own devices without a single explanation on what was going on in her mind. Before they knew it, she and Yuna were sent off to guard the family of Viscount Kim, whose assigned province and home was nearly a day’s ride away. They set off at the break of dawn and arrived just as the sun was setting, tired and eager to get some rest after travelling without any breaks.

 

Thankfully, the Viscount was a hospitable person, welcoming them before they even got inside his home.

 

They were now currently gathered inside his study, a maid bringing them refreshments as the two knights finally settle in and relax their sore muscles from sitting on their horses for too long.

 

“Thank you for the warm welcome, Lord Kim.” Yerin tells the noble once the maid leaves the room, every ounce of her playful demeanor disappearing. She was warned strictly by Sojung not to antagonize the viscount, “I’m sure that the letter must have explained the reason why we’re here.”

 

“I’ve been told.” he nods in confirmation, “To think that it would be so serious that even the king has ordered his personal knights to deal with it…” he sighs somberly.

 

Before the two left the city, they were given a gist on what they were supposed to do. The rest of the details were written in a letter she gave them, which was really just a quick explanation of her plan and a few instructions on what they were supposed to do.

 

Basically, Sojung had conferred with the king concerning the escalating number of victims of the Black Rose and informed him that something should be done about it. She then suggested having the King’s Guard safeguard some of the nobles that haven’t been victimized yet. Not only will the victims decrease by that act, but if given the chance, they would be able to catch the thief as well.

 

It was a simple task, really. But Yerin didn’t like it one bit.

 

She would rather run around and follow leads than stay put in one place and wait.

 

But it was the King’s order and his orders are absolute. Any insubordination is immediately tantamount to treason in their kingdom. They understood that the moment they chose to be knights who served the King and his people.

 

“Nonetheless, we’ll be imposing on you for the following days.” Yuna says with a small smile, “We’ll try not to cause you any more trouble than necessary.”

 

“Think nothing of it. I’m more than relieved and assured of my safety because of your presence.” he tells them gratefully.

 

At that moment, there was a knock on the door and upon hearing the invitation to enter from the Viscount, the maid from earlier informs them that dinner is ready and that the rest are waiting for them in the dining area. The viscount then dismisses her and offers to lead the way for the two knights, at the same time informing them that he will introduce the rest of his family there.

 

The dining room was just as Yerin and Yuna expected. They were met by the sight of a long table placed at the center of the room, containing what Yerin can only call a feast for the gods, expensive cutlery and tableware were positioned neatly in their respective places. With just a glance she could already tell how much trouble the servants of the household go through in just dealing with the dishes after every meal.

 

Seven ornate seats with velvety cushions were placed evenly across the entire expanse of the table and from a glance, they already understood that the chair at the end of the table was for the viscount. The rest of the chairs were already occupied by what they assumed to be the rest of his family who was looking back at them with barely hidden curiosity. Yerin’s gaze sweeps across the unfamiliar faces, paying close attention to the two young women who could only be the viscount’s daughters. One of them was looking over interestedly and Yerin, on instinct, offers her a charming smile which the woman reciprocates, to her delight.

 

The other daughter, on the other hand, seemed to avoid her gaze. Though she was sure that she was looking over upon their arrival as well, but it almost feels like they didn’t meet her expectations and decided that they weren’t worth her attention.

 

Yerin gives herself a quick once over. She did make sure to look presentable enough. When Yuna informed her that the viscount has two daughters, she made sure she donned her best clothes for a good first impression, and her meticulous preparations have never failed her before, but it looks like not all maidens are the same after all.

 

That blonde hair looks awfully familiar though…

 

She then turns her gaze away, thinking that she’s stared long enough. As she expected, daughters of nobles are indeed beautiful.

 

The servants were all waiting at the side, standing in attention and ready to aid them if there was anything they needed. Yerin catches sight of the two empty chairs which were right beside one of the daughters.

 

Yerin then turns to Yuna and couldn’t help but smile at the look of awe in her features, her eyes taking in the sights before her. It was just like that time when they visited the baron’s home, only this time there was more amazement in her expression.

 

“Let’s take our seats.” Yerin nudges her side and makes a move to do just that, meanwhile Yuna snaps out of her reverie and follows. The older knight could already tell from a glance that she was thanking her lucky stars that she took etiquette lessons once she became part of the King’s Guard.

 

“These are the knights that you informed me about?” a woman seated at the right of the Viscount questions, getting a nod of confirmation in reply, “They look younger than I expected.”

 

“I didn’t expect them to be women though.” the man seated on his left remarked, immediately being silenced by a glare. Yerin could only assume that he was the viscount’s son.

 

As Yuna had told her while on the road, the Viscount had three children. Two daughters and a son who was the eldest of the three. The two daughters were of the same age but were not of the same blood. The older was the child of the viscount’s first wife before she passed away due to illness. He then remarried a woman who already had a child, which is the younger daughter.

 

There were rumors that the second wife was actually his concubine and that they were seeing each other behind their spouses’ backs. Though he insisted that the younger daughter was his, no one really knew the real story but at that point, it didn’t matter much.

 

Still, the son seemed to have quite an attitude on him.

 

“Alfred, despite their appearances, they are still among the most elite knights that the kingdom has, and they hold the same rank as I do so I expect you to treat them with respect.”

 

Yerin didn’t say anything, but what did he mean by ‘despite their appearances’?

 

“They look like they can’t even lift a sword.” Despite the viscount’s warning, Alfred continues to express his distaste towards them. Though he had spoken in a low tone, she could tell that he made sure they could hear his every word.

 

“You don’t have to like them, but don’t go crying when they decide not to protect you because of how you’re acting towards them.” one of the daughters, the one that Yerin was sitting beside to, tells her brother reproachfully.

 

“No fighting in front of the food.” their father speaks in an authoritative tone, and almost immediately, the two fall silent.

 

Yerin sighs internally. She could already tell that this wasn’t going to be a comfortable dinner.

 

---

 

“I’m sorry for my brother’s behavior during dinner.”

 

Yerin and Yuna were currently taking in the fresh air at the front courtyard, having had enough of the suffocating atmosphere that the viscount’s son was conjuring. It was close to midnight, and they wanted nothing more than to just sleep and not worry about anything but unfortunately, they had their duties to fulfill and that includes keeping watch at night just in case.

 

It was then that one of the daughters approached them, dressed in her nightly attire with a shawl draped over her shoulders to battle the crisp night air. The two immediately got to their feet, as they were just lazing around by the edge of the fountain in the courtyard, and relayed their greetings.

 

“It’s fine. We’re used to people acting like that.” Yerin waves her apology off. In the first place, why would she be the one to apologize in his stead? That’s just not right, “What brings you here milady?”

 

“Oh that’s…” she sighs, “Though my father said that they would be introducing you to us during dinner, but I think he forgot that introductions needed names so…” she laughs before doing a small curtsy, “I’m Yewon of the House of Kim, a pleasure to make your acquaintance, chevalières. You’re free to call me Yewon. In fact, I would prefer it if you would.”

 

Yerin makes a small bow in return, “You can just call me Yerin then.” she answers then turns to Yuna who does a bow as well.

 

“I’m Yuna. I haven’t thanked you for earlier as well...”

 

“Did something happen?” Yerin inquires, looking back and forth between the two.

 

“Oh, that’s right you were bringing our things to our room that time.” Yuna laughs a bit, “It’s just… the viscount’s son discovered I’m just a commoner and started to say things and madame Yewon here spoke up for my sake.”

 

“He better be thankful I wasn’t there.” Yerin remarks, looking annoyed, “How is it you’re so nice, Yewon? Meanwhile your brother…” the knight didn’t bother to continue, already knowing that she’s made her point across and that she was still talking bad about her brother after all.

 

“He wasn’t like this before. But ever since he was proclaimed the heir, I think the responsibilities just began to pile up.” Yewon explains, “I think it’s his way of coping with all the frustration he could not express.”

“…I think he’s expressing his frustrations just fine.”

 

Yewon laughs, “Nevertheless, it’s not an excuse for his behavior. I can only ask that you be tolerant with him.”

 

“It’s good that I have enough patience dealing with people like him then.” Yerin mumbles, “It’s getting late though, it’s best you head back now before you get sick. Yuna will accompany you back inside.”

 

Said knight turns to her, “And you?”

 

“I’ll keep watch for tonight.” she tells the woman, “You need the rest more than I do.”

 

“But—“

 

Yerin silences her with a wave of her hand, a sign that she will hear none of it. Yuna just breathes out a laugh knowing that once Yerin has made up her mind, it will take a whole lot of things to convince her otherwise.

 

Bidding each other a good night, the two then begin to head back towards the house with Yerin watching them engage in idle conversation as they walk farther away. Based from what she was seeing, the two seem to get along well easily.

 

She silently commends herself for a job well done.

 

When it comes to the matters of the heart, she considers herself unrivaled. And so, upon noticing the small furtive glances Yuna would give the younger daughter during dinner earlier, she knew she had to do something since she doubts her fellow knight would even think of doing anything in the first place.

 

True, she may be a charmer, but she considers herself a good matchmaker as well.

 

“You.”

 

Yerin quickly swivels around to the sound of an unfamiliar voice, her hand instinctively placing itself on her sword’s hilt, only to relax when she realizes that the person was the other daughter of viscount.

 

Like Yewon had told her, they forgot to actually put names on faces in their introduction earlier so she’s clueless as to how to greet the woman properly.

 

Still, how did she manage to sneak up on her in the first place…?

 

“We don’t need you here.”

 

Yerin blinks at the sudden cold statement. It almost felt like she had been thrown into a frozen lake at how chilling she sounded. And the way she glared at her was not helping.

 

“Pardon?”

 

“We can protect ourselves just fine.”

 

Just like Yewon, the woman had on her night attire but didn’t bother to cover up from the cold. Yerin almost thinks that she has immunity to it. No, she’s most likely colder than the temperature now. She’s probably the one generating the temperature herself. The icy glare was enough to show her that. It felt like she was talking to a human ice cube, but she’s pretty… should she call her ice queen instead?

 

“We don’t need you here. Leave us alone.”

 

“I can’t do that.” Yerin answers back, earning a raised brow from the woman, “Though I pride myself in listening well to a fair maiden’s desires, I unfortunately have to do my duty as a knight, so I will have to refuse your request.”

 

“It’s not a request.”

 

“Then I’m afraid I cannot take orders from you either.” Yerin just smiles.

 

How does she put this… Despite the cold appearances the woman has, she didn’t give off the same annoying atmosphere as her brother does. Her brother always looked at them condescendingly if she could base it off from first impressions alone, but this woman just gives off the atmosphere of a protective human. Like how animals would react when something has trespassed their territory. Yerin had nothing against that, and she certainly wasn’t about to get mad at her for it.

 

It was only normal to be distrustful during the first time after all.

 

But of course she would do her best to make her trust her in the long run.

 

“It’s an absolute order from the King.” Yerin explains gently, “As part of his Guard, we have our duties to fulfill.”

 

The woman just scoffs, “You’ll just be a bother.” she says succinctly, “Just… stay away from Yewon.”

 

She begins to walk away and Yerin just watches as she does so, but then suddenly remembers something and begins to rush after her.

 

With a quick maneuver, she successfully stops her in her tracks, no longer fazed by the look of annoyance on the woman’s face and just offers her one of her charming smiles.

 

“I haven’t properly introduced myself.”

 

“I don’t need to know.” she swiftly bites back.

 

“I’ll tell you anyway.” Yerin insists, bowing gracefully before her, “I’m Yerin. A pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

 

The woman didn’t reply. Instead, she just attempts to walk past her, but not one to be deterred, Yerin blocks her way again.

 

“How should I address you?”

 

“Why should I?”

 

“Would you prefer being called ‘beauteous mademoiselle‘ then?”

 

Yerin almost laughs at the obvious look of distaste in the woman’s expression, almost like she was disgusted by it and that was fine for Yerin, after all, she was after the woman’s name.

 

“Beaut—“

 

“It’s Eunbi!” she growls in annoyance before finally pushing past her and entering the house without another word. Despite that though, Yerin feels accomplished. There was no better achievement than getting a fair maiden’s name despite their stubbornness.

 

“Eunbi.” Yerin hums happily, “Yes, I think we will get along quite well.”


 

A/N

BECAUSE FIRST IMPRESSIONS MATTER