Was It You?

Maybe I Just Want To Know You [RE-UPLOAD]

“Was it you? Huh?” Jieqiong practically growled as she grabbed a random male student by the collar of his shirt and held him against the lockers.

“Was what me?” The poor guy asked, he was obviously terrified and confused.

“Did you start the rumour about Doyeon and Yoojung?” She questioned him.

“No, that wasn’t me. I swear,” the guy replied, anxiety present in his tone. “I just got told by some girl who I don’t even know, I swear. I would never start a rumour up about you or your friends.”

Jieqiong narrowed her eyes and was about to say something else but was soon stopped by Mina.

“Jieqiong, don’t you think you’ve asked enough questions?” Mina asked, her voice was soft but still a little stern.

“Alright,” Jieqiong let go of the male’s collar. “I apologize... Can you tell me who it was that told you though?”

“Jieqiong!” Mina snapped. “Leave all these random people alone. You should want to focus on rebuilding your friendship with Doyeon, not who started some stupid rumour.”

Jieqiong sighed. “You’re right Mina, I just don’t know what to say to her.”

“You could say that you’re sorry,” Mina suggested.

“Hmmm, I could...” Jieqiong pretended to think for a moment before continuing; “I could but we both know that I don’t apologize. You know that, I know that, Doyeon knows that.”

Mina sighs in defeat. “Well, just think of something because I’d hate for you and Doyeon to fall out... especially over some silly rumour.”

Jieqiong nodded and looked at the ground. “Me too.”

“I don’t know if I should be around you or not,” Doyeon said as she followed Yoojung to their next class.

“Why’s that?” Yoojung asked, she felt slightly offended at what Doyeon had just said.

“In case it adds fuel to the fire,” Doyeon explained. “I don’t want the bullying to get worse for you, nor do I want to make you feel uncomfortable.”

“Or are you just hanging around with me because your friends have ditched you?” Yoojung questioned.

Doyeon blinked, bobbed up and down a few times but no words came out. After a few moments she finally spoke, “of course not.”

“I’m sorry if I seem harsh, Doyeon.” Yoojung took a deep breath and turned to face Doyeon. “I just don’t understand how you can go from bullying me and making my life Hell to suddenly wanting to befriend me and protect me from other people bullying me.”

Doyeon bit her bottom lip and nodded. “I understand.”

Before Yoojung could reply, Nayoung and Sohye walked over to them.

“Guess the rumour must be true then, huh?” Nayoung nudged Yoojung playfully.

“No,” Yoojung laughed.

“Oh, uh no. I was just leaving,” Doyeon nervously chuckled.

“You don’t have to leave just because we’re here, Doyeon.” Nayoung told her. “As much as I personally dislike you for all the you’ve put us through, and I think its karma now that you’re caught up in a rumour... I can respect that it’s with my friend, and I can see that you’re trying to help Yoojung out.”

“Thanks,” Doyeon smiled awkwardly. “I just wanted to apologize to you both as well,” Doyeon gulped. “I’m very sorry, Nayoung and Sohye for everything I’ve put you both through. It was wrong of me to do, and all I can do is apologize on my behalf.”

“You’re friends won’t be sorry though,” Nayoung joked although the other girls could all sense the seriousness in her statement.

“Well, all that matters is that Doyeon has apologized!” Yoojung smiled, trying to lighten the mood.

Sohye just hummed and nodded in agreement.

“Well anyway, I guess we best be going to class.” Doyeon said trying to break the awkward silence.

The other three girls nodded and they all walked to their respective classes. Yoojung and Doyeon were in the same class, unfortunately for them they were in the same class as Jieqiong and Mina. Yoojung wondered if it was Jieqiong who started the rumour, although she couldn’t believe that Jieqiong could be that good an actress to pretend she heard it from someone else.

“Your friends seem... nice,” Doyeon said sarcastically.

“They are nice,” Yoojung replied bluntly.

“Well yeah, of course they are. They’re your friends, I just meant that-“

“I know what you meant, Doyeon.” Yoojung interrupted.

“I’m confused, are you mad at me?” Doyeon frowned.

“No, I’m just frustrated.” Yoojung admitted. “Usually if there’s a rumour that has been started about me it’s by you or your friends, but I don’t know if Jieqiong is that good of an actress to pretend that it wasn’t her who started the rumour.”

“I see,” Doyeon nodded in agreement as she followed Yoojung into their classroom.

“I don’t know, maybe it was her.” Yoojung shrugged as she sat in her assigned seat. “What do you honestly think, Doyeon?”

Doyeon tilted her head and thought for a few moments. “Well, like I said earlier Yoojung; I think that it was one hundred percent her. She may be pretending that she doesn’t know anything about it and she’s as in the dark as us, but really I know it was her.”

As soon as Doyeon had finished her sentence Jieqiong and Mina walked into the classroom. Jieqiong strolled over to Doyeon and Yoojung’s desk; she placed her hand in front of Doyeon and looked at Doyeon waiting for a response. However she didn’t get one.

“Doyeon,” she in a soft tone the opposite of her earlier tone.

“Yes?” Doyeon replied bluntly.

“Can we talk after class?” Jieqiong asked. She was feeling quite nervous about it, as she knew that she had messed up. However despite her earlier actions she really didn’t want to lose Doyeon as a friend.

“Sure why not?” Doyeon shrugged.

“Thank you.” Jieqiong smiled weakly and moved to sit in her assigned seat next to Mina.

“It’s crazy isn’t it?” Nayoung looked at Sohye. “It’s crazy how all this time Doyeon’s been bullying us and, well, especially Yoojung... And now she’s caught up in a dating rumour with her.”

“It truly is bizarre,” Sohye said quietly.

“Is something wrong? You’re quiet,” Nayoung asked Sohye with concern in her voice.

“Oh yeah, I’m just thinking. I just want to know who started such a horrible rumour,” she replied.

“It isn’t necessarily horrible. Two people dating isn’t horrible, it’s just... Doyeon isn’t the nicest person,” Nayoung said slowly, as if she was trying to figure out the right words to say.

“Hmm, true. It’s just strange,” Sohye sighed.

“Whoever it was that started the rumour really is weird though.” Nayoung said.

“They really are,” Sohye answered quietly.

“Hey, Sohye...” Nayoung looked at her friend. “Why do you go quieter whenever we talk about the rumour?”

“I don’t.” Sohye replied.

“You do, you also give short replies like you just did then.” Nayoung thought for a moment, before suddenly her eyes widened, it was like a light bulb had gone off in her head. “Wait... Sohye,” Nayoung hesitated. “Was it you that started the rumour?”