006

Marauder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don’t miss the previous two chaps of the triple update! XOXO

 

“Bandits” the woman whispered. “They must be still at the first carriage.” Her frowning face suddenly became more clear, and she looked at the girls in alarm. “Get off the carriage you two.”

“What?” Gayeon stared at her in disbelief. “What are we supposed to do in the middle of a jungle path when it’s almost night?”

“I’m telling this for your own safety agassi.” The woman whispered with such an urgency. “We’re just old folks so we’ll lose our merchandise and that’s all...but if those rogues see two girls with us...”She gulped, and shook her head. “I don’t even want to imagine what will happen to you two young ladies.”

“But what are we supposed to do?” Hyunjoo whined.

“First get off from behind and run into the woods before they get to this carriage. And if you run along this road towards the west, you’ll arrive at the village in less than an hour. You can get the help you want from there.”

Gayeon nodded, taking a pouch of gold coins from her dress pocket.” The woman caught the sight of the pouch and shook her head frantically. “We didn’t help you for money agassi. No I cannot accept this!”

“Not only you helped us to get here, but also you’re saving our lives.” Gayeon grabbed her hand and the pouch into it. “And now you’re going to lose your possessions as well. Take this and keep it safe, and when you get back to the capital, ask for Lord Kim Junmyeon’s residency. We’ll be willing to help you.”

With that the two girls got off the carriage making as less noise as possible, and crept into the thicket of trees right before one burly looking bandit strode towards the carriage they were in.

“Let’s hope they will be safe...” Gayeon whispered when her maid clung onto her arm. “Let’s go Hyunjoo, to the west she said.”

Hyunjoo looked up for a last bit of sunray that could show they which direction was west, and strained her eyes to see a tinge of deep reddish orange through the dark leaves. “But agassi, isn’t it better if we spread up and look for them? I’ll search the woods since I’m more familiar with woody paths, and you can run to the village and inform the magistrate’s office.”

“Let’s do the other way round.” Gayeon muttered, dragging her maid a little further into the trees. “I’ll look around here, while you run to the village.”

“But agassi-”

“If I find them, I’m the one who can persuade at least one of them to stop. Don’t you think so?”

“Yes but-”

“And I don’t want you to fall in trouble again because of my brother. You’ve done that once.”

“But still-”

“I know how much you care for him Hyunjoo...and I know why.”

Hyunjoo’s face turned pale at Gayeon’s knowing gaze. “But this is an order from your mistress. Make your way to the village and bring backup soldiers. Meanwhile I’ll scan this area and try to find if they’re anywhere around here.”

 

In the end the maid let go of Gayeon’s hand hesitantly, and ran in the direction which seemed like the way to the village. Gayeon took a deep breath, and started walking further into the forest, in order to get away from the bandits before trying to find the duelling men.

It was the first time in her life, Gayeon was wandering through a forest all alone, and at night as well. All the previous events had been hunting trips with her brother, or searching for herbs with Hyunjoo and other maids, which never exceeded further than the edges the forest. She had heard that night falls faster once you’re inside a forest, but this was her first time experiencing it, and it wasn’t pleasant at all.

Once the occasional yelling of the bandits had died down as she walked further into the thickening trees and shrubs, the screeching of unrecognized insects started bothering her. Adding to that, a sudden bolt of lightning illuminated the area through the tree tops, and a loud roaring of thunder rumbled over her head.

Not a drizzle. It was surely going to be a thunderstorm.

Stumbling over protruding roots and scratching her arms on lower branches as she walked by, the girl walked and walked among the trees hoping to find some clearing or a foot path, and hoping to hear familiar voices.

Then started the pattering of large drops of rain on the leaves surrounding her.

The rain started pouring down all of a s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter