022

Marauder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three weeks went by, with Gayeon eagerly waiting for Baekhyun at the newly repaired Kim’s mansion, and Jongin blaming himself for not joining his cousin’s journey. And when Jongin’s last bit of patience was wearing off and he was preparing himself to go and find Baekhyun, a merchant arrived at the village inn came to find him. “Kim Jongin?” he asked, holding up an envelope. “Your hyung sent this.”

Jongin took the envelope, thanked the merchant with a bottle of rice wine he had stolen the day before, and ripped open the envelope.

It contained the previous evidence they had found at DO Kyungsoo’s house, the parchment with vows and signatures, and the list of trade unions.

And a letter from Baekhyun.

Jongin,

Bring these to Kim Junmyeon. I’m serving as a firewood supplier to Prince Jeonghoon’s mansion, but the security is too tight for me to enter the inner rooms. Give these to Junmyeon and ask him to try and convince the King with these. And if Prince Jeonghoon visits the capital, I might disguise myself as a servant of his and enter the capital as well. Tell Gayeon that.

Take care of mother and Inhyun.

Baekhyun.

 

Cursing to himself, Jongin folded the letter and ran into the house. “Omma! I’m leaving for the capital today!”

* * *

“Prince Jeonghoon is entering the capital today or tomorrow.” Junmyeon said, looking at his sister over his dinner. Gayeon kept her spoon aside, and glanced sideways to imply that their mother was listening. Ever since Gayeon had returned, the two siblings had kept their talk about Baekhyun a secret from their mother, in order to not to worry her further.

“What is happening oppa?” Gayeon asked after breakfast, dragging her brother to the garden, as far as possible from their mother.

“Prince Jeonghoon is entering the capital, the reason is his annual visits to the royal tombs and to visit His Majesty the King.” Junmyeon shrugged. “I don’t know anything further than that.”

“Why haven’t we heard from Baekhyun yet…” Gayeon bit her lip, tearing up as she was unable to hide the frustration any longer. “It’s been three weeks already!”

“Just give up on him.” Junmyeon muttered. “He’s fighting a useless battle and I don’t want you to get meddled in that as well.”

“Give up on him like you’re giving up on Hyunjoo?” Gayeon asked, glaring at her brother. “How long are you going to ignore her by sending her away like that? What's wrong with all men really? Why is each and everyone of them sending away the girl who is ready to go through every hardship with him? You’re just like Baekhyun in that aspect oppa. Don’t glare at me. YOu’re just scared to accept your feelings for Hyunjoo. Just like someone else I know.”

Gayeon turned to leave with that being said, and a servant approached them before she left. “A young man is searching for an audience with you, My Lord.” She bowed to Junmyeon.

“Name?” Junmyeon asked.

“Kim Jongin.” the servant answered.

“Bring him in!” Gayeon answered before her brother could.

Jongin was escorted into the garden a while later, whom Gayeon welcomed with the warmest smile. “Is he back?” she asked him. “If so, why is he not here by himself?”

Jongin shook his head. “He’s taking longer than we expected.” He took the envelope out of his pocket, and held it out to Junmyeon. “He wants you to take this. There’s some evidence we found earlier, and there’s a letter inside from hyung. He wants your help…” Jongin hesitated for a moment, and gruffly added; “Lord Kim.”

Junmyeon to the envelope, and unfolded the letter. Leaving her well-taught manners aside, Gayeon rushed to his side and peered into the letter. After going through the lines, she stumbled back, to stare at Jongin in disbelief. “What is this Jongin? And don’t tell me he left all alone…without you?”

“Help him, please.” Jongin said to Junmyeon. “I know how you hate him and loathe him…but imagine how things would be, if you were ever in his situation.”

Silently, Junmyeon ran his eyes over the sheet of signatures, and after a long moment, he sighed and raised his eyes towards Jongin. “I will show these to His Majesty. But I can’t guarantee any outcome. Because it’s His Majesty’s closest cousin we’re accusing of.”

* * *

Another four days passed, in which Jongin left the capital, because Junmyeon’s request for reinvestigation of the case was brushed away by the King, and the evidence became useless to prove Lord Byun’s innocence. “Jeonghoon holds more power in Joseon than you think. And these papers don't even have a seal of the Prince as proof.” the King had bitterly said to Junmyeon. “This will not be enough to convince the ministers against him, even if I trust you Junmyeon.”

Junmyeon had decided to give up on the reinvestigation, and had asked Gayeon to give up on Baekhyun, which caused a row between them once again, and Gayeon declared that she would go and help Baekhyun herself.

And Junmyeon had to lock her up in her room to prevent her from running away.

That night, Gayeon was combing her hair while immersing herself in deep thoughts, going throu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter