010

Marauder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don’t miss the previous two chapters! XOXO

 

“Good day hyungnim!” Jongin yelled at the coachmen and held up his hand, which made the carriage come to an automatic stop. The coachmen visibly turned pale, and turned around to look at his master, who was still too engrossed in his reading.

“Heading to the Chinese market I suppose?” Jongin asked jovially, and started walking towards the carriage. “What’s the occasion? What are we going to buy there?”

“Ma-master,” the man stuttered to the passenger, who didn’t seem to be aware of what’s going on around him at all. “YOUNG MASTER DO!”

And the young nobleman finally jumped and raise his head, and looked at his servant with wide doe-eyes. “What?”

The servant gestured towards Jongin, who was now leaning on the horse. The young noblemen looked horrified in an instant, and whipped his head to see Yukhei and Jaemin standing at a distance as well. “What- what’s going on?”

“Young master ‘Do’?” Jongin repeated the name he heard. “Haven’t heard the name before. Which village are you from…Young master Do?”

“What- why would I te-tell you that?” the noble youth stuttered, the book in his hands visibly shaking as he spoke. “What is the reason for you to disrupt our journey like this you peasant?”

“That’s exactly the reason.” Jongin shrugged. “You bastards who call yourselves ‘Noblemen’ have taken away everything we earned, so obviously we’ve become peasants.”

“What do you want from me?” the nobleman widened his already large eyes, and blinked at Jongin nonstop.

“Just handover the silver you have got with you.” Jongin took another step closer, which made the book to slip off the young masters hands. “You have enough silver to throw around at markets and by all the luxuries in the world, while our people are dying on streets without money to one filling meal. Isn’t that simple unfair you ‘Do something’?”

“Do-Do Kyungsoo.” The nobleman blurted out. “Do you know… know who I am? You will re-regret this you barbarian.”

“Everyone’s calling me a barbarian lately.” Jongin turned and flashed a smirk at Yukhei. “Never mind…just hand over the silver and return to your cozy mansion. I’m sure you have more reading to do.”

“This…” the servant spoke this time, forcing himself with some courage. “This money is to buy gifts for our young master’s bride. She’s coming from the capital today so we have to buy gifts for her!”

“Oho…! Getting married are we?” Jongin let out a loud laugh, which made the young master to visibly shrink into his seat. “But why don’t you show her your… um… manly charms and seduce her, instead of just giving some gifts?”

This time Do Kyungsoo’s face reddened like a tomato.

“Enough rubbish. Just hand over the silver!”

Jongin turned in surprise at the sudden words from Yukhei, who was still at the back but looking rather impatient. “We’re not in a position to pity you or your future bride. So just leave the silver here and get lost!”

The servant looked at his young master, and even though hesitantly, Do Kyungsoo took a fairly large silk pouch from his pocket and threw it to the ground. Jongin picked it up and grinned, giving the horse a gentle pat and a wave to the young master. “Get home safe…little Do Kyungsoo!”

 

The carriage took a difficult turn in the narrow road and headed back to their own village, leaving Jongin satisfied weighing the pouch of silver coins in his hand.

“Yah, that was too easy!” Yukhei retorted. “Is this what you call ‘robbing’? What the hell was that? You just practically asked him and he gave away all his money!”

“I know right…” Jongin smirked. “Luckily we got an easy catch today. It’s not always this easy. Some are actually tough and I’ve been dragged to the magistrates more than a dozen times.”

“You are just like Baekhyun.” Baekhyun’s mother emerged from her hideout, closely followed by her two children. “The boys in our family are all reckless. Never think about what their mothers feel about them. What if that nobleman was actually a powerful one to fight back? Wouldn’t you be in serious trouble Jongin?”

“I know I know Lady Cha Inseo…” Jongin replied, grinning and giving her a playful bow. “I’ve heard that enough times from my own mother. So shall we restart the journey now?”

* * *

Another two hours of walking finally started the jungle to show more clearings, less tall trees and more shrubs, which showed them the village was nearing. “Walk straight along this road and you will arrive at our village.” Jongin suddenly said, coming to an abrupt stop, and looking at the lady. “And walk through the street until you find a small area where women gather to make straw sandals. Ask them directions to Jongin’s house, and they’ll take you to my place.”

“Aren’t you coming with us?” the lady asked.

Baekhyun didn’t feel like trusting the mischievous glint in Jongin’s eyes. “What are you trying to do?”

Jongin replied with a smirk. “Just a few hours since we met and you’re already reading my face aren’t you hyung?”

“You’re planning something. Not just trying to send off Yukhei and Jaemin.”

“They won’t be much of help even if they stay so…”

“What do you mean we won’t be of help?” Jaemin sprang at Jongin. “If you’re planning something, Yukhei hyung and I must definitely be helping you!”

“Na Jaemin!” Yukhei snapped at the younger male. “I thought you’ll already have a knack about what kind of rogue this one is. If he’s into something that cannot be anything good.”

“Woah...what a compliment.” Jongin scratched his head while grinning, and turned to his aunt. “There’s no one to be afraid of. Just walk along that path, and you will be at our place within half an hour.”

“I will trust you with Baekhyun’s safety.” the lady watched him with concern for a moment, and took her daughter’s hand. “Make sure you two come home safe and early. And Yukhei, and Jaemin.” she turned to the two younger friends of her son, and gave them a grateful smile. “I will never forget your help. And I hope you will get home safe as well.”

“You don’t have to worry about us my lady.” Yukhei gave her a reassuring smile, and turned to Baekhyun. “Let’s go hyung. Whatever you two are up to, you better get it done quickly.”

 

After another several minutes of continuous arguing into the woods, Yukhei and Jaemin finally agreed to leave and head towards their own destination, leaving Baekhyun and Jongin to their next attempt, although Jongin never revealed it in front of their presence.

Baekhyun watched the two figures disappear through the darkening tree shadows, and turned back t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter