014

Marauder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Every little detail about him was forcing her, purely forcing her to keep her eyes fixed on them, and never leave this flawless sight.

She had stayed too long staring at him, with her thumb unknowingly brushing over his cheek, and it made Baekhyun take his eyes off their fixated point and look right into hers.

The girl blinked, switching her gaze from his lips onto his eyes.

She was hopelessly falling for that man called Byun Baekhyun…

And the rest of the stories associated with that name flashed through her mind.

Reminding very restriction, and every reason for her to not to be with him.

Gayeon took her hand off his face at once.

But he caught it, grabbed her wrist back before she could even move an inch away.

“BAEKHYUN!”

Gayeon gasped and turned around, distancing herself from Baekhyun, to find his mother standing at the doorway.

Baekhyun dropped the hand he had caught.

The lady was doing a very good job at holding in the anger, that she was barely showing it. “Come out Baekhyun.” She stormed out of the house. Turned into a deep shade of pink in embarrassment, Gayeon looked back at Baekhyun.

But he stood up ignoring her glance, and followed his mother out to the front yard.

And he was dragged to a far corner of the garden.

“What were you doing in there with her?”

His mother asked through gritted teeth. “What were you thinking Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun remained silent for a moment, the giddiness Gayeon had given his still bubbling inside him. Finally he let out a sigh, and started rubbing his temples. “I… wasn’t thinking, actually.”

“You know that this is wrong don’t you?” his mother grabbed him by his upper arm. “You have already made a mess by bringing her here, and now this? This is not supposed to happen Baekhyun! They won’t let you live if you-“ she hesitated for a moment, “If you start something with you.”

“I’m not-“ Baekhyun retorted, but stopped midway, knowing exactly where he had been imagining himself going with Gayeon. “I’m sorry omma.”

“I’m not against you being together with someone whom you love Baekhyun-ah…” this time the lady caught him by both arms. “I want you to be happy and I want to see that more than anyone else! But…Kim Gayeon is not that person darling…she’s going to bring nothing but trouble to you.”

“I know.” Baekhyun muttered, staring at the gravel at his feet.

“Kim Junmyeon will kill you if you try to claim his sister!”

“I know omma.”

“And for God’s sake please remember that we’re exiles now! How can an exile be together with a noble lady without being harmed?”

 

A few yards away, Jongin and Aunt Eunjo were peeking through the kitchen window, and watching how Baekhyun was standing with his head hung down, and his mother gripping him by the two arms. Jongin shook his head in disappointment. “Your sister is hopeless omma.”

Aunt Eunjo sighed in reply. “She’s just so rational you know. Brain before heart. But after we did so much to set the mood for the couple…”

“I’ll take hyung outside for a moment. He need some fresh air I think. You can take care of Gayeon.” Jongin patted his mother’s shoulder, and exited the kitchen.

* * *

“Master Do Kyungsoo likes to read.” Junmyeon spoke out loud, as the palanquin carrying Hyunjoo was moving ahead parallel to his horse. The maid slid open the window and blinked at him. “Pardon, My Lord?”

“I said Do Kyungsoo likes to read.” Junmyeon repeated. “I’m letting you know the basic information about him so that you will sound natural while playing Gayeon’s role in front of him.”

“Oh…” Hyunjoo nodded. “What else My Lord?”

“He’s the one and only son of the retired minister Do Seongha, who works in international trading nowadays. They live here in north because being close to the borders help with their trading.” Junmyeon kept explaining. “as I mentioned before, Do Kyungsoo likes to read, his hobby is collecting books, and he majored in Chinese poetry in Sungkyungkwan University. He has already published three poetry books as well.”

“Books books books. How boring.” Hyunjoo muttered under her breath, and Junmyeon stared at her. “What’s wrong with having a liking to books?”

“No My Lord!” Hyunjoo shook her head at once, realizing that Junmyeon himself was a huge bookworm as well. “Not all bookworms are boring! I mean, not everyone who like books are bookworms…oh goodness…I’m messing this up even more…” she shut her eyes in frustration, and for a fleeting moment Junmyeon found himself smiling at her action. “What are you trying to say Hyunjoo?”

“I’m trying to say that…” she looked back at him, meekly. “That Gayeon Agassi won’t ever like a man who’s constantly burying himself in books. That’s simply not her type.”

“Then what’s her type?”

“The playful type. The cheerful, mischievous and outgoing type. And maybe someone who’s good with swords and bows and arrows.” Hyunjoo finished with a grin, recalling all the fantasies her mistress had shared with her since their teenage years. But when she caught the distraught look on Junmyeon’s pale face, her grin vanished away. “Why…My Lord?”

“Don’t tell me she’s still having feelings for Byun Baekhyun.” He muttered while keeping his eyes on the path ahead. “Swords and bows and arrows… don’t tell me she will fall for some barbarian after all this.”

* * *

“We need to get back to work.”

Jongin stopped walking deeper into the woods, and turned to face Baekhyun.

“What work?” Baekhyun asked, tugging at the twigs sticking out from nearest bushes.

“Robbing. My occupation of course.” Jongin admitted with a proud grin on his face. “If we are to get back to the city or find any other way to get your father’s name cleared, we need some funds gathered. And as I’ve said before, we need to ambush some ladies shopping for silk in the nearest market. Today is the best day for that and I can guarantee that we’ll find at least six noble women passing by this place.”

“How do you know when they go for shopping?”

“It’s the fifth day of the week.” Jongin shrugged. “Usually the most expensive silk from China arrive on the fourth day, and released to the fabric stores today. Those stupid women never learn and always use the same route at the same time, so I’ll be receiving quite a decent amount of silver.” He scratched his head. “Or maybe they’re too confident about their bodyguards.”

A distant sound of horse hooves made Jongin silent, and he jerked his head towards the direction of the sound. “Come on hyung, first customer of the day.”

And Baekhyun was dragged behind a wide tree trunk nearby, where the two guys waited for the carriages to arrive. A few minutes later, a carriage driven by a squat aged soldier emerged through the woods, with four burly men on horses surrounding it and travelling ahead.

Jongin muttered a curse that he would never say in front of little Inhyun or his mother. “Kim Yeri. A merchant’s daughter. Her father has tightened her security.”

“You know them?” Baekhyun asked back in a whisper. And Jongin nodded. “Have seen them in the local market. But not all of them at once. I might lose a limb or two trying to mug them.”

“So are you planning to let them pass?” Baekhyun asked. “Just like that?”

Jongin gave him a look of disbelief. “My mother has only one son you know! I’m too precious to be killed by those giants!”

“But you said she’s a merchant’s daughter.” Baekhyun nudged his cousin. “That means she’s loaded with silver.”

“You don’t have any experience in the field hyung-”

His words were hidden behind the sound of Baekhyun dragging out his sword, and before Jongin could grab him, he was striding to block the path of the arriving carriage.

“Hyung!” Jongin hissed peeking from behind the tree. “Yah Byun Baekhyun you son of a- wait I can’t insult my aunt like that-”

The carriage came to an instant stop, along with its four guards. The window of the carriage slid open, and a pretty young woman’s head peered out. “What’s happening?”

“Nothing my lady. Stay inside while we sort this out please.” One of the guards replied in his booming voice, and the lady obediently took her head back in. “New face huh?” the guard smirked down at Baekhyun. “We were expecting that lanky Kim guy.”

“Now that hurts buddy!”

Jongin stepped out from his hideout and joined his cousin. The four men jumped off their horses and strode forward in slow and cautious steps.

“Who’s your buddy you bastard?”

“Just hand over two thirds of your silver and go your own way.” Baekhyun answered. “Both of us don’t have time to waste here.”

The guard who had been talking so far gave a loud scoff. “Looks like you found an apprentice, Kim.” He smirked at Jongin. “But you haven’t taught him not to mess with us.”

Before Jongin could either reply the guard or advice his cousin, Baekhyun strode forward, and two guards stepped closer and blocked him from reaching the carriage.

And the next few movements were just a blur in Jongin’s eyes.

Baekhyun punched one guard in the face with a second blow with the hilt of his sword, which sent the man swaying to a side. The next guard charged at once, but Baekhyun caught his fist and twisted the man’s arm behind his back, and slammed his face on the nearest tree trunk. The third one ran to Baekhyun wielding his sword, which Baekhyun blocked with his own sword and kicked the man in the chest. He stumbled back and fell, knocking down the fourth guard as well.

“I swear to God…” Jongin muttered and ran to the fallen guards, grabbing out his sword, and as soon as the two of them stood up, one got his side sliced with Baekhyun’s sword, and Jongin had the fourth one rolling on the ground with a sliced open shoulder.

And Baekhyun ran straight to the carriage. Hitting the door knob with the sword hilt, he swung open the door, to find the young lady terrified and curled up in her seat.

“Silver.” He held out his hand.

Trembling, the girl hastily fumbled with the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter