Impulsions

The First Attraction

♠♠♠♠♠

The girls were fumbling around, making coffee, deciding on breakfast. Some of them had packed their own noodles and treats. Willingly sharing the foods because there was nothing in the fridge and to starve another hindered the conscience.

Namjoo stood around in the kitchen overseeing coffee. Chatter was overriding the atmosphere now that everyone was awake, bed hair and all. Lingering around in their sweats and t-shirts making conversation.

The itinerary today included barbeque and a bonfire at night, but food and drinks still needed to be purchased.

“How about hiking?” Someone suggested. “We can stop by the market afterwards, eat, and come back, chill, and then hangout the rest of the evening.”

“Let’s invite the dance club.”

“What? Why? They’re outsiders.”

“Since we’re all here, let’s all get to know each other. It’ll be fun.” A voice chirped positively.

“What do you think?” Eyes shifted to her.

“What?” Namjoo turned to look at the few standing around the kitchen. Actually, she hadn’t been listening. She’d been staring into the living room where Sehun was up and watching something on the television.

Earlier he had fallen asleep next to her. Surprising her when his head landed on her shoulder. He had seen so comfortable she didn’t know what to do. Shrug him off? Wake him up, tell him to go back to bed? So she’d sat there with his head weighing on her shoulder for half an hour maybe.

But he was up now and clueless, and she didn’t know what to say about it. She was kind of curious who he was.

“The dance club,” the drama club student repeated, “do you think they should join us?”

Staring back into the living room where her eyes magnetically kept flying to a singular person of interest, Namjoo felt lost in thought again.

“Let’s do that.” Namjoo turned to the student. “We should get to know each other, right?”

As their voices fluctuated into debate Namjoo eyed the living room again.

She filed outside after finally washing up and changing once the drama club president announced they’d all be going out. First stop, Hwangnyeongsan Mountain. Randomly chosen by the club president. A quick Google search and reviews dictated it provided the best scenic view of the city, so that was it. Namjoo had never known anyone to make such a quick decision, but she didn’t argue.

“Is he kidding or what,” Jongin mumbled coming to stand next to her outside. “The peak is an hour away.”

“Mountain,” Namjoo corrected.

Ignoring her, he continued to complain side-eyeing the dance club members, “And why are they coming along?”

Following his gaze, Namjoo spotted Sehun standing with his crew. “Why are you so negative? They seem nice.”

“They shouldn’t be here in the first place.” Jongin mumbled staring at the clogged street. He went on, “And the bus is late. Great start to the day.”

Namjoo elbows him. “Cheer up. Did you not sleep? You’re so cranky.”

“For your information, I slept just fine.” He croaked.

Never minding his attitude, Namjoo discreetly looked in Sehun’s direction again. He was yawning, but stopped midway when he sensed her and glanced at her. Caught, Namjoo looked away unsure why she was even watching him.

The entire bus ride was uneventful, but her classmates were boisterous and energetic. Jongin fell back asleep during the hour drive to the mountain while Namjoo stared at the scenery. Busan flushed with blue-purple mountains and an extensive population. The four-lane highway spit vehicles in all directions. Out of the city, to the other side to run errands, do whatever people do.

Water sparkled all the way on the other side where across it high-rise buildings stretched up into fat white clouds. Today they appeared so low and clear, as if a person could touch the fluffs with the stretch of an arm. Beautiful and mesmerizing.

After a long drive they finally pulled into the huge parking lot. A lot of the locals were out and about. Some carrying shoulder bags of snacks and water to recharge on the way up. The foliage was dense flanking from either side. In between a wide path stretched forward into thicker trees. On it were already visitors on their way up.

“Meet back here in two hours,” the club president shouted. “Or we’re leaving without you.”

“Let’s race to the top.” Namjoo heard some students betting as they raced ahead.

Cautiously glancing at her phone for the time, Namjoo tucked the device into her pocket just as a voice said, “Want to go up together?”

It was Sehun. Namjoo looked around surprised, because she assumed Jongin was standing with her. He must’ve ditched her.

“Sure.”

♠♠♠♠♠

“Seriously?” Jongin raised a brow flabbergasted.

“Five bucks or I’m giving it to somebody else.” Heaving a disgruntled sigh, Jongin pulled a five out of his pocket and slapped it into the student’s hand.

All for a stupid sandwich that cost two bucks at the convenience store. Ripped off he was. Jongin couldn’t complain though. At least now he and Namjoo would have something to snack on if they got hungry on the way up. This was what happened when college students went out on a trip without preparing food and meals ahead of time. Time always proved no one was ever prepared enough.

When he turned around Namjoo was several yards away and talking to that kid again. Taking a quick step forward to interrupt them, Jongin was stopped when a hand touched his arm.

“Hey.” It was Hayoung.

“I’m kind of in a hurry.” Jongin excused glancing back to see Namjoo starting up the trail with Sehun.

Her grip on his arm tightened forcing him to a halt. This time he frowned at her.

“He likes her.” Hayoung blurted. The next second her eyes drifted around, as if aware she shouldn’t have said that.

Jongin’s expression grew taut. He determinedly stepped forward only to be held back again. “What?” he asked more aggressively.

Hayoung’s lips parted then pursed. “It’s just a hike.” She said. Her grip loosened just a tad bit, but still didn’t release him. As if to amend her mistake, she told, “There’s a faster way up.”

♠♠♠♠♠

It wasn’t like they were alone. Strangers, classmates passing them, wildlife scurrying up trees and through the brush. Yet Sehun was so hot he wanted to take his shirt off. He had walked beside Namjoo many times, but outside and so far from campus made it so different. Plus, he was aware they were being seen by the dance club and drama club members though many of them paid them no heed. Sehun still noticed the few glances they received. It just felt like he was being stared at judgmentally.

“Are you ok?” Namjoo asked.

“Huh? What?” Coming to attention he nervously looked at her.

“Or are you thirsty?” Namjoo stopped. “Should we go back down? I think someone was selling water at the bottom.”

“No, no,” he fervently shook his head, “let’s just keep going. I’m fine.”

Observing him carefully, Namjoo continued walking. The smell of the earth was overpowering. Sunlight bounced off them through the gaps in the tree leaves. Somewhere behind them an old lady was giggling at a joke. He wasn’t being laughed at he hoped. He wondered how he looked right now that Namjoo suggested they go back down. He was such a loser.

“Do you like being outdoors?” Namjoo switched the subject.

“Uh…oh, well…I’m not an athletic person.”

She looked at him funny. “You don’t have to be athletic to like the outdoors.”

Awkwardly laughing, he rubbed his nape. “You’re right.”

“I like being outside,” Namjoo told without waiting for him to ask. “I hardly get to be outside and do what I want, so I think it’s really nice to be able to get some fresh air in your system. Especially on this trip. I was looking forward to it.”

Sehun listened curiously. “You don’t go outside often?”

“Lessons keep me too busy,” Namjoo explained.

The drama club he thought and its activities. Of course, she must be so busy. To star in the musical and then attend classes and prepare for exams as well as complete assignments on time, Namjoo probably studied around the clock. That was backbreaking work for a college student. Sehun couldn’t imagine working that hard and have two to three hours of sleep a night. He wouldn’t be able to function.

“I admire you.” He said then blushed when she looked at him. He could feel the heat rise in his cheeks and most likely reddening his face. “I mean, not…not like that…like romantically…”

She giggled. His heart raced and he tripped literally over a rock. The embarrassment was overwhelming as he nearly cartwheeled forward. Grabbing his arm Namjoo caught him, but because he was bigger his weight toppled her backward from the impact and they both ended up falling to the ground.

Their legs tangled. She kicked his thigh. A spiral of dusty air spiraled in the wake of their fall. Pain sprung up his to his lower back. Namjoo was just collecting her bearings in front of him when the dust settled. Their eyes locked and he was so embarrassed he didn’t know what to say to right the situation.

Namjoo burst out with a laugh stupefying him into silence. Sehun just blanked. His eyes fluttered as he soaked in her sitting form. She didn’t seem hurt.

She stood and patted the dirt off her clothes. Sehun copied while trying to conjure an apology. He glanced up from shrugging his shirt to rid of a tiny pile of dirt when Namjoo gently swatted at his hair. Their eyes met again. This time he couldn’t breathe. His heart was pounding so hard, the blood whooshing and whishing against his eardrums.

Hesitantly raising his arm, he plucked a stray leaf out of her hair. “Something in your hair.”

The entire world seemed to belong to them. The birds chirped a love song when they looked at each other. The hikers in the background disappeared to nothing. It was just him and Namjoo who existed in one moment. Sharing something indescribable in words that only the force between them understood.

Then Namjoo smiled and the sphere tilted.

As if possessed he held his hand out. “I didn’t realize it was steep here. Let’s be more careful.”

Namjoo blinked. Stared at his hand.

She took it.

The warmth of it dispelled the frozen world. He could hear the hikers conversing, his classmates chirping noisily, and the world up righting as he turned around to continue walking, his hand firmly wrapped around hers.

♠♠♠♠♠

They waited 15 minutes for the taxi to take them to the top, most of it shared in silence. Jongin didn’t even fidget as they waited to pay for the next ride. He merely stood rim rod straight. So stiffly it was obvious he wasn’t happy with her.

Hayoung worried she’d picked the wrong bone with him today. His impression of her would no longer be good. How would she be able to make up for her mistake? She shouldn’t have opened so mindlessly.

Standing publicly with the other hikers waiting to up made it hardly a good choice for her to say something. She didn’t want to embarrass herself or have anyone witness how Jongin might chide her.

When they finally got into the cable car, Jongin slunk into his seat in total silence. Climbing in after him Hayoung sat across from him. There was no doubt she shouldn’t sit next to him. Then up they went.

The windows offered a scenic view of the mountain ridge. Beautiful green foliage flourished around them. Tall pines and trees soaring upwards touching the highest of the sky. The view stretched for thousands of miles out into the horizon beyond where the sky ran forever. Despite the beauty of it Hayoung could barely enjoy sightseeing. Too focused on Jongin and his feelings. The sandwich he was still holding onto. For Namjoo most likely.

Hayoung couldn’t help imagining all the times Jongin came around, waiting after each musical practice for her. Then they’d go off chatting like no one else mattered in their little bubble. Hayoung was envious.

She wanted to get to know him, too. Be personal with him.

“Do you like her?” Hayoung courageously asked. Though she always denied it, she couldn’t help wanting to know now. When Jongin’s stern gaze landed on her, she grew edgy and felt the need to explain herself. “I mean, I just…”

“For how long?” Jongin asked.

“What?”

“Has he liked her.”

She blinked. “I’m not sure. Maybe since the musical.”

Jongin scoffed. “Then he doesn’t know her.”

Hayoung scoured him. Wondering why the judgement. “Well, why can’t he?”

Jongin seemed all the more serious suddenly. “It won’t work out either way. You best tell him to stop following her around.”

For a split second Hayoung debated if she should be seriously concerned. She went with, “I don’t want to.”

His expression twisted almost frustratingly. She couldn’t understand.

“Sehun’s a good person. What if she likes him, too?”

“I’m serious, Hayoung.”

She almost wavered hearing him say her name, but had to remind herself they were picking a fight right now. She couldn’t lose.

“I’m serious, too.” Hayoung stood her ground. “Who are you to decide anyway?”

“It won’t be me deciding,” Jongin stated. “It’ll be her parents.”

parted to retaliate but she didn’t know what to say.

“Look,” Jongin tried to sound nice all of a sudden and she still didn’t get him, “Namjoo has a very straightforward future. She’s not just anyone. Not like you, not like me. No one is going to get her sidetracked before she graduates.”

Her brows deepened. “That also has nothing to do with you or me or her or anyone.”

He stared at her unhappily though had nothing more to add before the ride jolted to a stop and the doors glided open. Hayoung bit her lip perplexed as Jongin first stepped out. She was upset he was trying to control the situation.

Unlike him she was a romanticist. She ran on emotions. She was the type who believed good prevailed over evil. At the end of the day love wins.

Whatever Jongin said, she was going to root for her friend. And she was determined to turn Jongin’s mind around.

Stomping up to Jongin, she huffed, “And what if Namjoo gets sidetracked? What if she ends up liking him, too? There won’t be anything you can do.”

He just looked at her like she was being stupid.

It really, really riled her up. Hayoung didn’t like being ridiculed. It was even worse that it was Jongin making her feel this way. Everything she felt for him seem to fly out the window. Everything she thought about him might be wrong and he wasn’t who she always thought him to be.

She was disappointed. She was hurt. She didn’t know what to think.

What to say.

Touching her hand, he dropped the sandwich into her palm. “I’ll get you something to drink.”

She watched him walk into the cabin rest stop, a magnificent building at the corner of the peak. Smoke swirled out of the chimney. She smelled meat among other sweet snacks. Those at the top were sipping on cups of coffee, standing around to admire the view of the world, and lounging at the available picnic tables variously placed around.

Hayoung stared toward the path that opened up to the gorgeous peak. High lands surrounded by unwavering growth of trees and brushes. The air was so clear and strong. Mountains further popped like bulges between the civilian buildings of metropolitan Busan. A sight she was unable to breathe in as she wondered exactly what kind of person she was crushing on was.


***Alright, it's been a while hasn't it? I've been super stressed lately and been thinking a lot. I contemplated halting this story and stop writing. There are a lot of decisions I want to make right now, but now here we are with another chapter. Thanks for reading and enjoying