Coincidences

The First Attraction

♠♠♠♠♠

No answer. Seemed his best friend had ditched him, because he couldn’t fathom someone prim and proper like Namjoo sleeping in. Especially on a Sunday. She was either up or at church. Seeing how it was actually mid-terms right now, Namjoo would not be visit the house of the holy any time soon.

In conclusion, Namjoo had gone somewhere without giving him the dibs. Fine, so be it. He’d eat without her. She would have to find something on her own whenever she returned. If she returned. Wherever it was she had gone.

Pushing through the doors Jongin entered the lobby. A circular stand in the center of the room consisted of corkboards for club members and the school council to tack university/club activities. At the far right bathrooms were around the corner past walls of available lockers for rent. All the way around the corner past the university store was a bank room. Next to it a small pc room for anyone’s use.

On his left a tiny flight of staircase led up to the dining tables. The cafeteria was in an attached room. Order food of your choice, pay at the register, find a table, and eat. Simple and done.

Hayoung was just coming down the stairs as he started toward it.

“Jongin!” she beamed.

“I didn’t expect to see you. Coming from lunch?” he asked.

“Well…” she paused, “not really. Are you here for lunch?”

“Breakfast. I woke up a little late.” Jongin told.

“Then I’ll eat with you.” She shifted to go up with him.

“What were you doing here?” he wondered.

“I had a meeting with a club member.”

“Drama club?” Jongin frowned.

“From the dance club.” Hayoung explained. “Their club president actually. We were discussing about the trip.”

“To Busan?” his brows drew together even tighter. “What does that have to do with them?”

“Exactly,” she said. “We’re going on the trip together.”

“Why?”

“It’ll help take majority of the burden of expenses off our shoulders, but they’ll be having their own activities.” Hayoung went on.

“Still,” he defended, “the dance club?”

Grinning she shrugged, “Well…they’re a small club. We can also get to know them. Besides, it’ll be fun.”

♠♠♠♠♠

“Traitor.” Namjoo muttered when she received the text that Jongin was already at lunch and with Hayoung, their drama club vice president.

Tossing her phone down she flopped onto her unmade bed. Upon return she’d filled the newly bought vase with water, unwrapped the roses, and gently transferred them into the glass. Now all three flowers were crammed together in front of her window. Rolling her eyes away from the sight of them Namjoo stared up at the ceiling.

Her stomach grumbled. She was so hungry. Forget the cafeteria. She’d take the bus again and go to the Subway nearby. Take revenge on Jongin by eating something better than the greasy food from the cafeteria. Now he’d be jealous he hadn’t waited for her.

Grabbing her wallet, Namjoo left the dorm and went back the same direction she’d taken just twenty minutes earlier. Climbing onto the bus Namjoo found a seat and alighted from it at her destination. The Subway was four buildings down. The postal station beside it was closed on a Sunday, but someone was dropping off an envelope into the postal box at the curb. Straight ahead a street vendor had opened a stall adjacent to the bar & grill.

There was a familiar figure Namjoo’s eyes drew to like magnet. Subconsciously her pace slowed the nearer she got to Subway. Through the display window there was just one customer at the counter making their order. The restaurant was pretty much empty, telling her if she went in right now she’d be able to ease her hunger instantly.

Remembering she was seriously hungry Namjoo hesitated as she came parallel to the door beckoning for her. Once more her eyes swung to the display window. The customer was paying right now. She’d be able to sit right away, munch on food and drinks and perhaps a bag of chips; the typical college student food she had discovered in uni.

Abruptly moving forward, Namjoo stared at the food vendor. Legs striding forth with their own power. Right before she realized what her body was doing she was already closing in on the spice drifting up her nostrils. And there was Sehun eating spicy rice cakes with a toothpick from a small oval bowl.

He started choking when he saw her. Blocking his mouth he wheezed and turned away from her. Curiously staring at him Namjoo cocked her head. Running her eyes over the lake of red-orange liquid bubbling with a thousand rice cakes, Namjoo asked, “I thought you went home?”

Calming down but faintly coughing, Sehun said, “I left a little early. What are you doing here?”

“Uh…well, I was hungry.” Namjoo answered.

“Do you want some?” Sehun asked.

Namjoo stared at the food again. Smoke and steam floated up in a crazy thick haze. To be honest, she’d never eaten from a street vendor before. Her parents wouldn’t have allowed it. Raising with her strict etiquette. The motto was to be prim and proper. Not to eat like a starving dog in front of anyone, only in privacy. People are always watching her mother chanted all the time.

“Is it safe?” Namjoo reluctantly peered at the large stove. She actually heard Sehun muffle a laugh. Her cheeks flushed embarrassed. She had to mutter for her own sake, “I’ve never had it before.”

“You should try it.” He encouraged.

Determined not to come off as a clueless girl, Namjoo pulled out her wallet and pried it open. It felt like a brick hit her in the face when she recalled she only carried cards. Who uses cash these days her father asked when he handed her a credit card.

Walloped with shame, Namjoo quickly closed her wallet, excusing, “Maybe I’m not that hungry.”

“I’ll take another bowl.” Setting down his bowl onto the counter, Sehun pulled out some cash and handed it over to the stall owner. Handing the new bowl to her he said, “I’ve never met anyone who hasn’t had this before.”

Namjoo stared at the bowl of hot rice cakes swimming in red-orange thickening liquid. A toothpick was already pierced through a piece. She was uncertain about this.

“I went to a private school.” She absentmindedly said. Innocently looking at him, she asked, “It’s really ok?”

“It’s really good.” He urged.

Lifting the toothpick at last, Namjoo took a cautious bite and chewed slowly, trying to savor the taste. Stars burst around her head as her eyes inched wider. pleased, “It’s delicious!”

Sehun grinned. “Glad you like it.” There was a slight pause then he asked, “What school did you go to?”

“I went to Hanyoung.”

She saw the brief moment of his eyes becoming bigger. Next the sound from being stunned, “Oh…wow, I see.”

Next he tried a smile to ward off the budding awkwardness. Namjoo wasn’t so sure she was convinced. For some reason she felt guilty for saying the truth. Hayoung High School being one of the most prestigious schools did not make her just anybody.

Changing the topic, Namjoo asked, “Why didn’t you eat at home?”

Briefly hesitating, Sehun told, “I got angry. At my mom…and dad. He only comes home every other week because,” he paused, let his eyes fly up to the roof of his lids to momentarily think, “because of work, so I got upset.”

“I shouldn’t have asked. I’m sorry.”

“It’s nothing serious,” Sehun assured smiling again.

“You do that a lot.” Namjoo noted.

His brows went up from hearing the unexpected. “Do what?”

Drawing a smile with a finger an air away from her face, Namjoo explained, “You smile a lot.”

“Oh…” he touched his face, “does it make me look weird?”

Namjoo grinned amused and tried not to laugh. “No. It makes you look really friendly.”

He laughed. “That’s a relief.”

Namjoo consumed her entire bowl in no matter of time. She would have honestly asked for more, but she had no money. It felt too shameful to ask Sehun to pay for another serving, so they left. Her stomach was still partially empty. As they passed Subway she stared longingly at the empty counter. No customers. She could have very easily gotten a sandwich and soda, but they were already close to the bus stop.

Mentally crying, Namjoo got on the bus with Sehun and they were headed back to campus. Sullenly staring out the window Namjoo wondered if she could stop by the cafeteria on the way back to the dorm.

“Later,” Sehun broke into her thoughts, “what are you doing?”

She turned to him. For a split second forgetting they were together. “Perhaps study.”

She saw him bite his lower lip. Another moment of quiet cut between them. Looking at her, he said, “I’ll be at the library later if you want to study together.”

Something about it surprised but brightened her more. No one invited her to such a boring place like the library. Usually she and Jongin would gather their books, find a quiet place in their dorm, sit, and do their homework; not take the walk to the library unless the life and death of their grades relied on it.

“Sure, I’ll think about.” Namjoo promised.

“Will you be going back to he dorm for now?” Sehun asked when they left the bus. Crossing onto the widening path that led past the union hall they trekked by thick growth of bushes. The pavement opened up into different paths that led to class buildings, the library, and the cafeteria.

Straight ahead, a couple strode in their direction. An inkling crawled up her spine, but assuming it was her imagination Namjoo ignored it and kept walking. Past the library was her dorm. She and Sehun kept walking right toward the couple, as if they were going to faceoff.

Five steps more and the face began to shift into clearer focus. Both figures, actually, started becoming more familiar. Namjoo blinked when she started recognizing Jongin and Hayoung.

“Where’ve you been?” Jongin broke questioned a yard away.

“I’m going back to the dorm.” Namjoo said. She glanced at Sehun, “Thanks, for the food earlier.”

Hurrying ahead she caught up to Jongin.

“Hey, Namjoo.” Hayoung greeted.

“Hey, Hayoung.” Namjoo returned the greeting.

“I’ll see you at the club meeting.” Jongin bid farewell to Hayoung before they went ahead. “I thought you said you didn’t know him.”

“We ran into each other,” Namjoo said.

“Again? On coincidence?” Jongin raised a brow and peered over his shoulder.

Namjoo shrugged. “And what about it?”

Something squirmed across his face, but he didn’t say. Averting the topic, he asked, “Where were you this morning?”

“I went to the store.”

“For what?”

“I needed a vase.”

“You already got one,” Jongin reminded, “the other night.”

“I got more flowers.”

His brows tightened. “From who?”

“Sehun.”

“Who’s Sehun?” Jongin shook his head. “Never mind. How do you know him?”

“He gave me the flowers.” Namjoo said. Noticing the twitch in Jongin’s face, she asked, “Why?”

“Nothing.” He muttered.

“I can’t even get flowers from another guy?” Namjoo teased. “Stingy.”

“I’m not stingy.” Jongin defended.

“You had lunch with Hayoung.” Namjoo nitpicked.

“Because you left without me this morning.” He begrudgingly hit back.

“I was being considerate, letting you sleep in after your group session.” Namjoo pointedly said. “How did it go anyway?”

“We’re more than halfway done with the project.”

“So you’re not going to fail the class?”

“I won’t fail it,” Jongin iterated annoyed. “I can’t go on the member training if I do.”

Namjoo scoffed. “You’re that desperate.”

“I have to be.” Jongin frowned irked. “I heard from Hayoung the dance club is going to be joining us.”

♠♠♠♠♠

“Really?!” Sehun yelled excited. At the turn of a few heads he cramped the feelings down. Asking in a normal voice, “You really got us in?”

Nodding, Hayoung said, “I’m that capable.”

Shaking her he gleefully said, “Thanks! I knew you could do it!”

Letting go of her he ran off in the direction of his dorm. She yelled after him, “Where are you going?!”

“Going to get my books,” he turned around, still running and shouted, “I have a date!”

Pivoting around he dashed off to his room. No roommate again. Picking up his backpack, Sehun stuffed it with his laptop, zipped it back up, and was out of there. The library was bustling even on an early afternoon Sunday. College students had no time to spare even if one spent Saturday night partying into the wee hours. Hungover or not, the future relied on how well a student did now and here.

Sehun was going to pass his exams and go on that trip once spring vacation hit. As if it was tomorrow he was damn excited. Never mind everyone in the drama club, Sehun only had one goal he aimed for.

To get closer to Namjoo.

Today he just found out she probably came from a very brandished family. He couldn’t just fool around anymore if he planned to make something of himself, so he could stand par to par with her. No slacking off. He would do his utmost best to get out there. Prove his father wrong and make himself worthy.

Grabbing a table Sehun put down on his backpack and booted his laptop up. He’d write this paper, edit it himself, and complete it by tonight. Hopefully.

A half hour in and his eyes started getting heavy. It was so boring. Leaning back Sehun stretched his arms out yawning. It was so muted around him. Every other student seemed so absorbed in their assignments. Reading a textbook as thick as two fists, highlighting whatever they deemed important. Why couldn’t he be like them?

His eyes jumped around from person to person then toward the doorway. It was empty. A group of friends occupied the sofa out front eagerly chatting about something in low voices. Through the high floor-to-ceiling windows an array of sunlight flowed down in swarms of dust.

He already missed the outside. Especially on a Sunday afternoon. He should be sitting at a coffeeshop, snacking on doughnuts and drinking hot chocolate even in this warm weather. Too bad he was a college student cramming for exams.

Yawning again Sehun returned to staring at his laptop. God, why did the paper have to be so long? He didn’t understand how he’d enough points to support his theses in 15 pages. Sometimes he really believed the professors were on crack and were determined to make their students suffer.

Lowering his head, Sehun hunched over his laptop. The machine was warm and inviting. He really wanted a nap despite a good night’s sleep. Maybe he’d close his eyes for a few minutes. When he opened them again there was a block of color at the side of his laptop. Blinking drowsily, he lifted his head up. Peering over the screen he stared at a familiar shirt then lifted his head.

Wide awake he straightened nearly rocking his chair. A rush of heat swarmed through his body as he stared back at Namjoo, shocked he was really seeing her.

“Hi.” She said.

Sehun almost opened his mouth to return the greeting but turned upon a sudden thud. A backpack just landed on the table. He ended up meeting eyes with Namjoo’s friend, Jongin.


***I've been debating over a kind of love triangle versus platonic friendship, and am still deciding, but since this is tagged as drama after all...and I have some events planned...