Nothing Can be Something

The First Attraction

Nothing spurred through her mind. Just complete blank.

“Oh…uh…” as if just coming to, Sehun glanced at the bouquet of pure red roses mixed with baby breaths and held it out, “for you. I brought them for you.”

Namjoo did the only next logical step deemed acceptable. She accepted the flowers. If someone gives you something out of appreciation take it, her mother once whispered to her. It was not a yes or a no thing.

“Thanks.” Namjoo clutched onto the flowers.

“I saw you again. I mean, the musical.” He smiled out of awkwardness. “You’re really a professional at acting.”

She softly smiled. “It’s what I want to do.” He turned to follow when she started walking. “You said you dance? Isn’t that something you want to do after graduation?”

“Something of the like.” Sehun said. He grinned hard but she wasn’t looking. “You remembered.”

At this Namjoo glanced up at him. “Remember what.”

“That I dance.” He beamed.

Question marks spun in circles in her mind like a dog chasing its tail. “What about it.”

“Nothing.” He timidly peered at the linoleum floor. “I just didn’t think you’d remember.”

She shrugged like it was nothing. Easy-peasy like remembering what color shirt she wore yesterday. “Performers should remember details if they actually want to make it.”

“You’re right.” he said. “I’ll keep that in mind from now on.”

Nearing the front doors Namjoo turned to him. “I’m going back to the dorm from here. Thanks, again, for the flowers.”

He seemed to hesitate. Nervously biting his lips again as his eyes flew to his feet like something important was there. And that, again, Namjoo didn’t know what to make of it. Who was he? She had never seen him before.

“If you don’t mind,” he glanced up to meet her eyes, “can I walk you back?”

She understood him even less. What was he? A fan? A student on campus that saw her and liked her?

“Sure.” Namjoo said. Pushing the doors open they went down the concrete stairs and onto the pavement along the path that wound through the bright green yard and studded trees.

April was fresh around the corner. Everything icy had vanished for the weeds to push up from beneath the earth and flowers to wildly bloom. The weather was finally behaving. Breezes cool during the day and brisk at night with a hint of chill. Everyone still donned jackets and sweaters for warmth, but during the day with the sun going strong most left their outerwear in their rooms.

Right now, the sun was still in the sky. Midway to the treetops and within a few hours it would be nighttime. As the rays bounced around there was a halo shine above Namjoo’s head. He had no idea someone’s hair could be so nice and smooth. Almost weirdly wanted to touch it. At best he behaved and kept his hands at his sides.

Sehun’s eyes dipped down to the bouquet she was holding onto firmly. Feeling his gaze Namjoo peeked up at him. Very swiftly he turned away.

“Do you commute?” Namjoo wondered.

“Huh? Oh no.” He hurriedly shook his head. “My dorm is at Horizon Residence Hall.”

“It’s on the opposite side,” Namjoo noted. “I’m at East Sea Hall.”

“The newest building?” Sehun sounded surprised.

Where the rich kids were. He was probably taken aback that that was where her dorm was. But really, she was not just anyone’s rich girl. Namjoo wasn’t about to disclose that information.

“Wow,” he gasped amazed.

Namjoo merely smiled. Reaching the curb they waited for a car to blast past before crossing to the other side. A grand golden brick building wielded its building name above them. A couple of girls jogged down the steps and hurried ahead of them.

Probably they were going to leave campus and go clubbing like normal girls their age while Namjoo returned to her dorm to study and stay in. She had never partied or gotten so drunk she passed out. Her father would never forgive her for acting so shameless. Her parents had trained her to put her head straight. Get an education before auditioning for real parts in movies. A diploma would boost her reputation in the celebrity universe and directors would respect her.

Besides, her background was already so famed no one would dare look down on her once she revealed whose parents birthed her. And the years weren’t slowing. Right now was the ripest of all for her to start trying for gigs while still youthful. She couldn’t be derailed or wish to be like all the others.

“It’s nothing spectacular, honestly.” Namjoo said.

“It must be nice though.” Sehun said. “The carpeting in our dorm smells really old.” He cheekily grinned. “But at least it’s not haunted.”

Namjoo breathed a subtle laugh. “Are you scared of ghosts?”

“Very.” He grinned.

They crossed a grove of bushes that led straight to the cafeteria onto the other side of the library. There was her dorm, a reformed granite building with bright golden lights peeping through the upper windows.

“You’re probably tired from a long day.” Sehun said. “It’d be nice if it was quiet the rest of the evening.”

“Why? Are you going out?” Namjoo asked.

“No, I’m pulling an all-nighter at the library. I have a research paper coming up for history. It’s supposed to be fifteen-pages minus the credits.” Sehun explained.

“Tough.” Namjoo sympathized. “I have a friend who’s a good editor if you need peer reviewing. He’s at the library tonight, too.”

“I’ll think about it.” Sehun grinned.

Namjoo turned around at the foot of the path leading to her dorm. “It was nice talking to you. Thanks again,” she slightly lifted the roses, “for these.”

“Yea, no problem.” Sehun awkwardly raised a hand to wave before she pivoted and walked through the automatic doors.

It was only when she reached her room and saw the two vases she’d placed by the window that week she realized she didn’t have room for more flowers. She needed another vase or something, but she didn’t feel like going to the store now. What she wanted most was a shower and to sit down with her books for the evening.

Tomorrow, she decided. She’d go to the store for one since the university convenience store did not carry what she needed.

“Sorry flowers,” Namjoo placed them gently on the unused bed, “you’re just going to have to wait.”

Searching for her towel and change of clothes she went down the hall to the shower room. Settling in for the night she opened her textbook and a notepad to pick up where she’d left off yesterday.

At the of midnight and the seventh yawn of the evening, Namjoo gave up, switched the lights off, and crawled into bed. The following morning she changed into jeans and a long sleeve before departing from campus. There was a bus stop a block away. She would find her way to the store and return within the hour. Jongin might be up and looking for food by the time she got back. She’d see then if he wanted to grab something to eat.

A tiny crowd of students had formed around the bus stop sign. She caught the obnoxious laughter between several male students. Next to them a lone female student had earphones plugged deep into her ears. Standing a cautious width away Namjoo watched the traffic congested street burst with rays of primary colors.

Hearing the deep roar of heehaws again Namjoo couldn’t help but shoot the males a wary glance of irritation. On their very right she recognized Oh Sehun. At first, assuming he was with them. The distaste in nearly felt overwhelming until she realized he was never minding the rowdy group.

Sensing her stare he abruptly turned to look at her. A flash of embarrassment nearly swept through her for being caught looking, but he suddenly smiled happily. Namjoo didn’t know what to think. Again.

♠♠♠♠♠

It had felt like a miracle that he managed to carry a conversation with Namjoo. Though he had been beseeched by disappointment the night of the Chicken Road festival, Sehun had promised to do better the next time around.

His second chance was at the next musical. Obviously approaching her during the week wouldn’t be natural. They hardly knew each other. Sehun didn’t want to be a stalker either and he had classes and his own priorities to put first.

Next time for sure. After several meetings he would find the perfect moment to intentionally find her. Maybe then they could be friends or something. Better to do something than nothing.

After seeing Namjoo off and the automatic doors slid close behind her, Sehun wanted to jump into the air and let out a loud yeehaw. Of course he didn’t. Too conscious of the approaching female students, he coolly walked away.

His roommate was not in when he arrived at the dorm. Some nerd he wasn’t close with. Sehun couldn’t remember his name but that he was acne scarred and wore narrow glasses that seemed to magnify his thin eyes. Their schedules always clashed except when they turned in for the night, so Sehun hardly ever ran into him. His roommate was going to be a chemist and spent majority of his time at the science building doing experiments Sehun wanted to know nothing about. Science was his enemy.

Grabbing his backpack he tucked his laptop inside, zipped the pack, and left the dorm. He hated papers. He hated writing, but in order to pass the class this was necessary. He’d rather daydream about the next time he ran into Namjoo than stare at a computer screen all night. The thought made him sigh. He couldn’t wait for student life to be over with. Graduation was still a year away and couldn’t come fast enough.

Climbing the six concrete steps Sehun entered the library. The hallway on the right led to the computer room. On the left he would find the reception desk and available tables for studying, whatever. The building was three stories. The first consisted of fiction books, the second encyclopedias and maps. The third floor consisted of silence, several desks, and bookshelves. It was the second floor he was headed for.

The high ceilings glowed brightly. Many students were hunkered down at their tables, intensely reading, scribbling, or snoring. Sehun rode the pastel green elevator upstairs. An empty circular table greeted him on his left. Ignoring it he turned the corner toward the study room filled with rose of rectangular tables strategically plastered against the wall-to-ceiling windows. In case while studying, students could stare outside and pretend they were having a breath of fresh air.

It was cooler here because of the windows. Rows of high bookshelves towered behind him when he found a table and sunk into a hard blue chair. Setting his backpack onto the empty seat beside him he pulled out his laptop and turned it on. Distraction was his most formidable opponent as it waited for it to boot up.

Sehun’s eyes rose above the screen to the third table in front of him. Five male students were huddled at a table sprawled with papers and notebooks and their laptops. Right in front of him Sehun could pick out a face he’d seen several times recently.

The guy who always picked Namjoo up from her rehearsals. The one Hayoung claimed was not dating Namjoo, whatever his name was. Just he was handsome.

Sehun stared at him annoyed he’d chosen to sit here out of all places in the library. Especially facing that guy! He almost wanted to pack up and find somewhere quieter when those set of eyes glanced back. Hurriedly lowering his eyes, Sehun cursed his laptop for lagging. He grew hot neck down hoping he hadn’t been caught staring.

To make sure, Sehun cautiously rose his gaze up. Breathing relief when he saw Namjoo’s friend had refocused on whatever his group was whispering about.

Well, there was no choice now. If he left he’d look stupid for having come here. He wouldn’t quit like this. Pulling out his notebook and a book he’d rented he flipped through the pages as his laptop finally woke up.

An hour into his essay he noticed Namjoo’s friend walking by his table. Sehun avoided his glance until his phone buzzed. The vibration caused others to stare at him. Apologizing he quickly picked up and left the table to answer the call in the hallway.

“Sehun!” It was his mother’s shrill voice.

Pressing into the corner of the elevator, Sehun damned himself. If he knew who the caller was, he would have turned his phone off. He was such an idiot!

“I’m at the library, mom. I have to go.” He quickly excused.

“It’s so hard to call you. I promise I won’t hold you up.” She pleaded.

“I’m serious. Do not call me.” He gruffly warned. “I’m hanging up.”

“Your father is coming home tomorrow,” she cut him off so fast he barely had the time to remove the phone from his ear, press the button to end the call.

He could feel the nerves in his neck tighten as if they were wrangling themselves.

“Don’t you want to see him?” his mother questioned. There was a hint of desperation in her voice that made him doubt his stubbornness. “It’s been so long since you’ve been home, Sehun. Your father misses you.”

“Like hell he does!” Sehun’s voice rose a notch. Catching himself he lowered his tone, “I don’t want to see him.”

“This is our week, Sehun. I’ll be cooking a buffet for lunch. Come home, huh?” She continued to press as if she hadn’t heard him. “Oh!” she squeaked, “I have to go now. Your father just returned from the store. Tomorrow, noon, remember! We’ll be waiting!”

In the background he heard a male voice then the call was cut. Sehun tried not to outwardly groan. As he removed the phone from his ear he glanced up in time to find Namjoo’s friend stepping by. A freshly filled bottle of water was in his hand. Sehun immediately worried if he’d heard his grouchy phone call.

“Girlfriend?” he asked coyly smiling.

“Uh…no.” Sehun replied. Slightly holding the phone up he said, “Call. From home.”

Coolly holding his hand out, Jongin introduced, “I’m Jongin. Freshman?”

“I’m a junior.” Sehun gave his hand a brief shake then let go, pondering what was happening; why he was being approached by Namjoo’s friend.

“What’s your name?”

“Sehun.”

“You were there the other week. At the Chicken Road festival, right?” Jongin asked.

“Yea…that was me.”

“I thought you looked familiar.” Jongin said. “Nice seeing you again. If you’re bored later, you can sit with me and my friends.”

“Sure.” Sehun awkwardly murmured.

Offering a last smile, Jongin brushed past. Sehun stared after him deeply confused about what just happened. What was the point of introducing himself to him?

Since it would look like he was escaping because Jongin had scared him, Sehun retreated back to his table and resumed where he left off on his homework. Even when he walked back to the dorm it egged him the entire night. His mom calling.

She was so irritating. His being her son was just so frustrating. He didn’t really want to go home at all. Sit, have lunch, share a pointless conversation with the man who visited every other week while he spent his opposite week at his other wife’s home.

The bastard.

Sehun didn’t want to have anything to do with them at all. Fussing, he kicked, tossed and turned all night sleeplessly. By morning he had showered, scrubbed himself thrice, and finally changed to go out. Promising himself he would just eat and that was it. Nothing more. He wasn’t going to sleep at home. He would come right back to campus. No matter what.

Arriving at the bus stop he was forced to a spot beside the three men currently fooling around. They were such a nuisance, but he’d prefer their idiocy compared to his mother’s foolishness. Rubbing his fingers through his damp fringe he stared at the cracked sidewalk. Still uncared for after all these years.

That was right. What was broken just remained unbroken. Took too much effort to try and repair something. A complete waste of time.

Like his mother and her messy relationship with his father and his mistress. The mere thought of that woman made him want to turn right around and drop into bed, pull the blanket over his head, pretend she never called. But if he didn’t go home, she would just hurt herself for the nth time. Someone had to stop that woman and that someone just had to be him, because he was the only child.

Sehun kicked at the ground again. When was it that his life became a form of hell. When he was fourteen that his father began having an affair, impregnating the other woman, starting a family with her. True love the mistress had spouted in his mother’s face and would not let him go despite his first wife being alive in blood and flesh.

His father, the most selfish person to be alive had kept that woman and his new child. Even started a family with her. Now they had three kids and his father alternated weeks between his wives.

This week was his mother’s week.

Sehun just hated all their guts! He didn’t even want to think about all the relative issues underlying the of a mess they had created. He just wanted to graduate and move as far away as possible.

The hairs on the back of his neck rose strangely. A strange sensation fluttered through him and he turned to discover Namjoo several steps away. She was everything that brightened the dark clouds just hanging over his head.

Sehun was already overwhelmed by bits of happiness already.

No, he was so very happy.

The fog just lifted. It was as if this was meant to be.

Namjoo for him.

His heart thumped. His blood rushed menacingly. Previously he’d wondered how he’d meet her again. Seemed he didn’t have to try so hard. Some force was already making it happen for him.

Side stepping toward her, he greeted, “Hey.”

“Oh…hi.” Her eyes dashed away awkwardly and he grinned harder.

“Going somewhere?” he asked.

“Just to the store.” Namjoo glanced back up at him. “Where are you headed?”

“Nowhere, really.” He lied. “Mind if I come with?”

“Well…” Namjoo dragged on. Shrugging, “I suppose if you’re not busy.”

“I’m not going anywhere important.” Sehun said then turned as the bus engine hissed as it pulled over to the curb. He hesitated, but too excited he grabbed her hand to pull her forward. “Come on.”