Hairbrushes and Towels

A Story About You and Me

You would consider yourself someone who always did things on your own. You didn’t need anyone’s help to do your daily tasks. From cooking your own food to washing your own clothes. Not allowing others to do your work for you, opting to carry out the duty with your own hands. Kim Minju doesn’t let anyone rule her life.

 

Needless to say, you didn’t need anyone and that you were proud of. Your parents always told you that you would need a man to have a better future. But you beg to differ, explaining that their ideals were wrong. You didn’t need a man to tie you down.

 

Besides, you were attracted to women. Far too many men have come off the wrong way that made you detest them. Whenever you were with your friends you would express how emotionally spent you were from working around one too many guys.

 

It didn’t help that your boss was a male and clearly had a thing for you. You should probably find a better job soon, you were not about to get caught up with that problem. 

 

One of your friends was kind enough to recommend you at a new place, surely it would be easy to quit and move on. Informing your boss would definitely be a hassle though, he probably wasn’t going to let you go without trying something.

 

You were getting worked to the bone and you could tell that he was trying to use you as much as he could before you left that disgusting building for good. He invites you to all of the events and makes you attend all of the board meetings that you weren’t even meant to join.

 

That’s what prompts you to your current situation. The water of the shower turning off and the steam blurring your vision. And no, you did not sleep with that bastard. You’re home on a Friday night after grueling hours of harassment and paperwork trying to finish the work he threw at you.

 

You could feel the sore muscles from sitting in the chair for too long and the incoming headache from all the things he said to you. Mental manipulation wasn’t going to work on you much to his disliking, but that didn’t stop him from trying. You’ve had enough of that to be dealing with it from some sleazy male who thinks too highly of themselves.

 

You wrap your hair in a towel and put on some comfortable clothes. A plain white shirt and some sweatpants, the usual attire for when you come home. You walk out of your bathroom and sit on your bed, pulling your laptop from your bag onto your lap. As much as you want a break from work, you weren’t one to slack off and not finish it.

 

A few minutes after you begin typing you hear the front door open and close gently. You let a small smile appear on your face, it’s been a while since you’ve seen each other.

 

It’s not like you both were fighting or anything. Your schedules didn’t line up and the only time spent together is early in the morning or late at night. But recently she’s been staying at her parents house, opting to stay closer to where her performance was going to be held.

 

At first she didn’t want to leave, explaining that the time you both see each other was already limited. But you convinced her otherwise, and she listened. She always does.

 

She was a singer and the amount of times that she had to travel always made it hard for you to meet each other. You both share different apartments but you had given her the extra key telling her to come by as often as she wanted.

 

It was unfortunate that due to her company policy you weren’t able to receive her apartment keys, so you would have to do with giving her yours. Your relationship wasn’t out in the public yet and you knew how hard it would be for her job. Especially with how society works right now and how they viewed your type of relationship.

 

You hear a soft click and your bedroom door swings open. Kim Chaewon, the receiver of all of your affection. Her white button up was tucked into her skinny jeans, her bag hanging loosely from her arm. Hair perfectly in place yet you still noticed the small little baby hairs sticking out on their own.

 

Without a word she places her bag on the ground and slowly makes her way towards you. She s a few buttons on the top and lays her back on her side of the bed. You turn your head to look at her, her eyes closed and her arms spread out like a starfish.

 

She must be tired from working all week and she even took the time to drive here to spend time with you. You definitely love her. 

 

“Tired?” You close your laptop and place it on your nightstand. Pulling your knees up to hug them while you stare at her. She was as beautiful as you remember her from the first time you met.

 

When you first met she was just another person in college that you didn’t think you would talk to that often. A very pretty stranger at that, but she would start to frequently come across you around campus and you were beginning to think it wasn’t a coincidence. 

 

Eventually you both began to hang out and you soon found yourself falling in love with her. It wasn’t hard to fall, she had all the qualities in which you value. She was intellectual and had a set goal in life. She didn’t need anyone to help her, much like yourself.

 

So you found yourself falling, later learning that she was falling all the same. You both valued your independence and it only became stronger the closer you got to each other. Two women that don't need anyone’s help end up finding each other for love. You laugh at how the story seemed too cliche for your own liking but it was the truth.

 

She hums at your response, still not moving from her starfish position. You smile again and bring your hand down to her nose, giving it a light poke. She scrunches up her face and opens her eyes to stare into your own.

 

You already knew this but Chaewon’s eyes were really beautiful. It was like the entire galaxy was swimming in them. You loved looking at the stars since you were young. Her eyes were no different from the night sky you looked at every night. So full of mystery yet filled with so much beauty.

 

You both stared at each other for a while, the only sound coming from the rain hitting against your window. Words between the two of you were hardly spoken, there was never a need for words when it came to Chaewon.

 

She finally breaks eye contact and sits up, putting her arms behind her for support. You always see her on TV and laugh when you see the way she presents herself. The Chaewon the world knows is just the surface of your Chaewon. Your Chaewon is soft spoken, she prefers listening rather than speaking, prefers showing affection through actions and not words.

 

She likes her coffee sweet and she prefers to be the big spoon. Prefers, because your body is longer and she’s just so small. But that’s your own little secret. One for only you and her, not for the outside world to know. For when you both are nodding off to sleep as she whispers sweet nothings to you. It never gets old, it always gives you that fuzzy feeling inside.

 

You feel the bed shift slightly and you glance over to your opposite side to see her walking towards the bathroom. You didn’t question it, it wasn’t weird that she was going to the bathroom. But when you see her coming back a second later with a towel in her hand you start to question whether she’s sane or not. 

 

You give her a confused look as she makes her way back around the bed. She must have gone crazy because what in the world was she going to do with that towel? You keep tracking her with your eyes until she’s back on the bed again, looking at you like it’s the most normal thing in the world.

 

“Let me dry your hair,” she says, draping the towel over your shoulders. Oh. Now it makes sense. You wanted to tell her that you would do it yourself. It was hanging on the tip of your tongue but instead you just hum in agreement and turn back around.

 

You feel her gently pull the towel on your head off and start rubbing it against your scalp. She was always calm and gentle, her touch as soft as a fluffy cloud. You close your eyes and allow your senses to immerse themselves in her touch.

 

Normally you would just do it yourself, letting her rest after a long day of traveling. But maybe you just missed her touches that you allowed her to do it. She probably was missing yours too.

 

You feel a slight tugging and you realize that she started brushing your hair. When did she get that? It was the one from the bathroom but you didn’t see her bring it out. You were probably too focused on the towel in her hand to notice.

 

You could feel the end of the brush touch your scalp, gently yet with purpose. It was funny how you were so proud of your independence yet you didn’t say a word when she suggested that she would help you. Your confidence in her seemed greater than the one for yourself.

 

You hear soft done and run your fingers through your half dry hair. You wanted it to dry a bit more naturally so you do it a few times to get it back to your preferred shape. You hear her laugh softly, a smile probably gracing her pretty little face.

 

You turn to look at her again and you’re surprised to see her so close to you. Her face only a few inches away from your own. Her scent is much stronger now, the one that you smell when you wear her hoodies to sleep. The scent you smell on your bed that’s been fading away lately. You’re so glad she’s here.

 

You move forward slowly and she seems to understand what you want. Your lips meet and wow, you really missed her. It was only for a few seconds but it felt like you owned the entire world with her by your side.

 

When the kiss broke you opened your eyes to see a goofy little smile on her face.

 

“I missed you so much…” she mumbled, barely loud enough for you to hear. It made you smile with her because you were thinking the exact same thing.

 

“Me too Chaewon, me too.”


There we go, another small story for you! Hope you liked it! Remeber, if you have a prompt you'd like me to write I would gladly try to!!

Follow me on Twitter for updates: @Taengyuyu