Halloween

A Story About You and Me

You bury your face into your scarf as you feel a chilling breeze pass by. It was the beginning of fall but the cold season seemed to come earlier than you expected. It was going to be quite chilly for the rest of the week and Halloween was just around the corner.

 

As you climb the stairs to your apartment building, you look out to the streets. You breathe out, watching the white smoke rise from your lips to fade from existence moments later. You really wonder if kids would go out on Halloween night when the temperatures would be almost zero. You guess their need for candy is far greater than their need for warmth.

 

You live on the second floor of your apartment complex in a neighborhood not so kid friendly. You doubt that any parent in their right mind would allow their children to roam around this neighborhood, even with parental supervision. But your partner begs to differ.

 

You insert the key into the lock and gently push the door open. You’re greeted with warm air from the heater and the scent of roses. Yup. Definitely your apartment, well our apartment. You’re still not used to it, but it’s a nice change.

 

Your girlfriend, Minju, had moved in recently and you both were beginning to get used to seeing the other all the time. Although, you wonder how much of that actually changed considering that she was over almost every single day.

 

You take your scarf off and hang it on the rack where you put your long coat. The boots you were wearing placed nicely underneath them. You loved when things were organized, it always made you happier. Call yourself a neat freak.

 

You set your bag down on the countertop and proceed to make yourself some hot coffee to combat the cold. While you prepare, you hear the door to your bedroom creek open and your girlfriend stumble out.

 

She must have been nice and cozy seeing as how she was only wearing a large shirt that barely peeked over her shorts. Her hair is a mess, jutting out in every direction. You see her rake her hands through her hair attempting to tame the wild beast that was her hair. You laugh a little while quietly sipping your newly made beverage.

 

“Why good morning sleepyhead.” You gently place your cup down and walk over to her, raising your hands up to her head. Helping her fix the mess that was forming from her failed attempts to make them better.

 

“Good morning…” she mumbles, just loud enough for you to hear. Her eyes still closed while her arms snake around your waist. She buries her head into your neck inhaling your scent before letting out a contempt sigh.

 

She was always the clingy type no matter where you were. At the grocery store, at the movies, even sitting on the couch reading your book. You don’t want to get started on how she is at home. It’s just… well, keep watching.

 

As you try to pull away you notice that her grip wasn’t getting any looser. You should have seen this coming, but you sigh as you playfully roll your eyes. You waddle your way over to where you left your coffee mug and take another sip. Her body is still clinging to you like a koala to a tree.

 

You swear she must have fallen asleep again when you hear the light snores coming from the body on yours. But you don’t say anything and continue to let her cling to you. You eventually finish your mug and place it in the sink, you’ll have to wash it later when a certain girlfriend isn't hanging onto you.

 

“Min Min?” Your voice is quiet as you call for her. You feel rather than hear the hum she gives you against your neck, it makes you twitch a little but nothing she hasn’t done before.

 

“I bought the stuff you wanted, do you wanna put them up now?”

 

You feel her peel off you, her eyes open now and a cute little smile on her face. She nods her head excitedly and you smile endearingly. She was really your little ball of sunshine.

 

“Well go wash up and then we can get started.” She nods again, scurrying off to your shared bedroom. You shake your head slightly and walk over to the bag of goodies. That’s what Minju would call them anyways.

 

Fake cobwebs and spiders along with many pumpkins in all sizes rested in the bag. Decorations for your little apartment that rarely anyone comes to visit. You find putting them up pointless but Minju wouldn’t stop whining about it. And you would do anything for your girlfriend.

 

So you got up early this morning and went to the store right when it had opened to buy some decorations for your house. Minju would have probably been upset that you left the bed early, meaning a shorter time for cuddles. But you think that buying the decorations she wanted makes up for it.

 

You hear the pitter pattering of steps and turn to see Minju walking out. She didn’t really change that much, her hair looked a lot better though. And she looked awake now, her eyes were glowing as she strolled towards Chaewon and looked into the bag.

 

“Okay! We can put them on the window and on the top of tables! I call doing the window!” Minju says at lightning speed before snatching away some cobwebs and spiders, her figure weaving around the couch and towards the window.

 

You just watch her in confusion before finally laughing. That was definitely a Minju thing to do, that cute spontaneous girl.

 

You take the rest of the things and start moving around the house. A random pumpkin here, another spider there. In all honesty you were just mindlessly placing the things around the house. But when you look over your shoulder and see Minju contemplating between two spiders that look almost identical, you begin to try just a little bit more.

 

A little more effort on your part just because she was trying her hardest. You honestly didn’t want to try that hard, but seeing her take things so seriously made you want to follow in her footsteps.

 

You were almost done putting up random pumpkins and spiders around the house when you hear Minju call from the window.

 

“Chaewon! Please help me with these!”

 

You placed the remaining bag of decorations on the counter and strolled over to where she was, contemplating between cobwebs. 

 

“Minju,” she looks at you with those big doll eyes and you have half a mind to not say the next words you wanted to tell her. But you say them anyways. “They look the exact same.”

 

You see her pout and eyebrows furrow as she looks down at the cobwebs in her hand. “They aren’t! This one is a little fluffier than this one!”

 

Damn Minju and her cuteness, one of these days you’re going to do something you’ll never want to do again because of her. 

 

With a sigh, you look at the cobwebs in her hands. They really don’t look different but you guess she’ll keep sulking until you choose. You point towards the apparent fluffier one. “Let’s go with the fluffier one Min.”

 

She looked up at you again. Ah, there it is. The bright smile that you vowed to protect, her dimples showing just under her eyes. The things you would sacrifice to make sure that smile was always present in your life. A world without Minju wasn’t a world you would want to be a part of.

 

She turns towards the window and begins placing the chosen cobweb in the designated spot that she had previously designated. Fluffing the cotton to make it even fluffier than before. 

 

“Finished!” Minju jumped from her position in delight as you glanced over at the window. Cobwebs in the corners with the spiders sitting atop them. Small pumpkins sitting beside them, facing the outside world.

 

You look around the room and see what you both had done for the past hour or two. It wasn’t much, just a few more things placed around on tables that wouldn’t be there any other week of the year. 

 

You still thought it was pointless, just something that you would have to spend time putting up and taking down. A job which you caused yourself. But when you look at her face and see her universe swimming in her eyes you think it wasn’t such a bad thing in the end.

 

“Do you want to come with me to get some candy later today?”

 

Minju turns towards you, a look of surprise on her face. “I thought you said kids wouldn’t come to this area.”

 

“Well… You never know I guess?” You shrug with your eyes closed. Moments later you feel a body collide with yours. The smell of vanilla and roses fill your lungs.

 

“I would love to,” she says, rubbing her nose on your neck and pulling you impossibly closer. You knew there wouldn’t be anyone coming. You knew it all too well. But there was a reason to always keep hoping, and she was lying comfortably in your arms.


Hello hello I'm back and here with another one!

Is you have any plots you want me to write please comment!

Follow me on twitter for more updates! @Taengyuyu