Three

Bad Education
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You should wear suits more often,” The angel like voice of Yongsun whispered in Byulyi’s ear. 

 

Smirking, Byulyi turned her head in the direction of the shorter woman, “Why? Do you like what you see?” 

 

After a few seconds of silence and a sharp intake of breath, Yongsun smacked Byulyi’s shoulder and upper arm repeatedly, “God you’re so greasy! I hate it.”

 

Byulyi laughed at the little ball of anger stood next to her. The sound of a boy singing off key on the stage in front of her made her snap her head back to the front. 

 

The start of December signalled many things in their school. One of them being the Talent Show. On the first Friday of every December the school hosts a talent show where they invite parents to showcase what the pupils had to offer. 

 

Byulyi always got out of being present during these shows. She claimed she had more important things to do, like washing her hair or clipping her toenails. But unfortunately she was guilt tripped into coming by her own pupils. 

 

“To what do we owe the pleasure, anyway?” The older teacher asked, “You’re normally sprinting away from this school to avoid coming to the talent show.”

 

“I was forced to come,” Byulyi sighed, “I hate the talent show. If any of these kids actually had talent they’d be snapped up by a studio by now.” She cringed as the boy tried to sing a high note, “I mean, look at this guy.” She pointed at him, “Who on earth told him to do the talent show?”

 

“I did.” 

 

“Oh.” Byulyi froze. Panicking slightly she began to whip her head around trying to find an excuse to either change the subject or walk away. 

 

“What are you looking for?” Yongsun asked. 

 

“Nothing really,” she replied honestly, “I’m just looking for a way out of this conversation,” she nervously scratched the back of her neck just before she spotted Miss Park walking towards them, “Oh thank goodness, here comes Cruella DeVil.”

 

Yongsun rolled her eyes at the younger girl and turned towards the other teacher. She could hear Byulyi quietly singing the Cruella DeVil theme song behind her but ignored her and focused instead on Miss Park. 

 

“Hello,” she greeted, her trademark Disney Princess smile graced her face. 

 

Without exchanging pleasantries, Miss Park snapped, “God this boy is awful. He sounds like my neighbours cat after it ate rat poison.”

 

Horrified, Yongsun whispered, “How on earth did it manage to eat rat poison?”

 

“It kept pooping in my garden.” She shrugged before walking away. 

 

“If she doesn’t scare you, no evil thing will.” Byulyi’s voice sang straight into her left ear. 

 

Before the Korean literature teacher could say anything, the boy on stage finished his song. Luckily for the boys confidence the crowd applauded his efforts as he quickly ran off stage. 

 

“Thank god that’s over.” Byulyi also clapped, not because of the performance, but because it was over. 

 

Rolling her eyes, Yongsun sighed, “He wasn’t that bad.”

 

“Yeah, and the Titanic wasn’t that wet.” The history teacher snorted, “Oh, here comes my lot.” She spotted Seulgi, Irene and Jisung making their way on stage, “They used free periods to practise their dance in my class room, they’re actually really good.”

 

“Why are they wearing bathrobes?” 

 

“Dunno,” Byulyi shrugged. 

 

As soon as the lights came back on, the bathrobes were off and thrown to the back of the stage. All three wore tight crop tops, mini skirts and six-inch black high heels. Jisung wore a long black wig with bangs down to his eyes. Their backs were facing the audience who gasped when saw the trio’s attire. Seulgi was the only one out of the three that had writing on the back of her shirt. 

 

“What does that say?” Byulyi asked. 

 

Yongsun squinted at the hastily written message on Seulgi’s shirt, “It says ‘Teachers Pet.’”

 

Mouth wide open in shock and embarrassment, Byulyi snapped her head towards the other teacher, “No!” She almost yelled, “It does not say that. Please tell me you’re lying.” 

 

Unfortunately for the history teacher, Yongsun was telling the truth. Byulyi returned her gaze to the stage and watched on in shock as the two girls and one boy danced extremely provocatively in front of the students, teachers and parents. 

 

“Oh god, they’ve just dropped.” She heard Yongsun gasp. 

 

Byulyi knew that somehow she was getting the blame for this. And she was right. 

 

As soon as the talent show ended, the parents cornered all the teachers present. They couldn’t contain their outrage as they shouted over each other and demanded answers from the teachers. 

 

“This is absolutely outrageous!” One yelled over them all, “This is going on social media!” She held up her phone threateningly. 

 

“You,” another pointed a finger at the headmaster, “have let this place become a den of antiquity!”

 

The headmaster sighed, “Listen, we as a school try and encourage a more body positive attitude within our students, we do not condone what they wore, however and it will come at a price.” 

 

“I’m more worried about the Australian exchange students,” the first woman huffed, “I do not want my Chohee around a bunch of loose Australian boys, especially if this is how they’re expecting our girls to act and dress.”

 

Lowering her head so her lips were barely touching Yongsun’s ear, Byulyi chuckled, “I don’t think twinkly eyed Chohee will be high up on their list.” 

 

Ignoring her, Yongsun did what she did best and tried to defuse the situation, “Look.” She addressed them all, “We’re all arguing over something that can be easily rectified. We need to encourage the students to embrace the changes that are happening within their bodies instead of making them feel like these changes and urges aren’t normal.” 

 

“Are you sure your teachers are qualified to teach my child something as important as education?” Byulyi recognised this woman as Irene’s mother. 

 

Knowing the question was about her but wanting to deflect the question off of her, Byulyi smiled, “Listen, I know Miss Park has never had before, but I’m sure she’s watched videos of it late at night with the curtains closed and at least knows the basics.”

 

The parents glare at the history teacher, “How can we entrust our children to this idiot?” Irene’s mother yelled. 

 

Miss Park stepped forward, “She may be an idiot, but I’m sure she’s fully qualified to teach your children. How about you, as parents, join her whilst she teaches her class?” 

 

“What?” Byulyi asked dumbfounded. 

 

“You’re happy with that, right?” Miss Park smirked. 

 

Byulyi hesitated. It did not go unnoticed by the impatient parents. 

 

“Byulyi?” Yongsun asked, eyes pleading to say yes and voice softer than ever. 

 

“Yeah,” Byulyi squeaked, her voice extremely high, “Yeah, sure, I can do that.” 

 

Miss Park clapped her hands together happily, “That’s settled then. Monday, 4pm.” 

 

 

__

 

 

“ education?” 

 

“Yep.”

 

“You have to teach a class about safe ?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Are you even qualified?”

 

Groaning, Byulyi threw herself down on her couch, “That’s what the parents said.” 

 

As soon as Byulyi stepped foot into her shared apartment with Hyejin, the younger girl pounced on her. Hyejin knew the history teacher hated the talent show and even used Hyejin as an excuse to get out of it three times. If you were to ask the headmaster, Hyejin’s had two valve operations and lost a toe to frost bite. Hyejin once asked Byulyi what a valve operation was, Byulyi just shrugged her shoulders and replied, “I dunno, I just really like saying the word valve.”

 

She knew something was up when Byulyi announced she was actually going to attend this year. She was not disappointed when Byulyi told her everything that happened. 

 

“Oh Byulyi, I love you with all my heart but you’re not qualified to give a class on safe .” Hyejin laughed. 

 

“I have had , Hyejin, I know what I’m doing.” Byulyi waved a hand dismissively at the younger girl, “Plus Yongsun promised to get me a book on it.”

 

“I can give you some books,” Hyejin winked. 

 

Another girl made her way into the living room from the kitchen, hands full of drinks and snacks.

 

“Byulyi you didn’t even know that you could spread diseases using toys.” The newcomer, Wheein, chuckled. 

 

After lettin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter