Nine

Bad Education
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byulyi watched as the clock in her classroom slowly ticked by and she sighed. Her class stared at her expectantly but she just ignored them. The thought of spending a whole weekend with Yongsun was taking over her mind and she almost felt herself vibrate with excitement. If only the time would ing move faster. 

 

The last lesson of the day was replaced by a school’s version of Blind Date. As Byulyi’s class stared at their teacher and waited for her to take them into the theatre hall, the teacher just glanced down at her phone with the expectations of the day being over. 

 

She sighed when she realised that the time didn’t move at all. Sunghyuk tossed a rolled up piece of paper at his teacher and the whole class watched as it bounced off her head and rolled off the desk onto the floor. Byulyi didn’t feel a thing. She almost jumped up in glee when the small numbers on her phones clock moved up one. 

 

“Can we please go?” Irene moaned loudly. 

 

“God, Miss, we’re bored.” Seulgi threw herself down on top of her desk and dramatically sighed. 

 

Byulyi looked over at her and her eyebrows knitted together in confusion. “Go where?” She asked. 

 

If this scene was an anime and not real life every one of her students would have fallen to the floor in disbelief with their legs stuck upwards. Instead they facepalmed and groaned at their teacher. 

 

“The Blind Date thing in the theatre!” Jisung yelled. “We should have left ten minutes ago!” 

 

Byulyi laughed. “Blind Date? Who’s desperate enough to go on that?” 

 

From the corner of her eyes she saw Seulgi blush and hide her face behind a textbook. Byulyi narrowed her eyes at her student just as Kitae held his hand up in the air. She looked over at the student and held a hand over her chest and gasped in betrayal. 

 

“Et tu, Kitae?” She asked dramatically. 

 

The boy blushed a horrible shade of crimson and nodded. He opened his mouth a few times before clearing his throat and mumbling, “There’s a girl I want to ask out and she told me she’s going to be on Blind Date.” 

 

“What girl?” Byulyi doesn’t remember him speaking about any girls to her. Her classroom is a no-judgement room where the kids can say what they like and not be ridiculed. What gets said in Class K stays in Class K. 

 

“Chohee.” He answered dreamily. 

 

Byulyi looked around in confusion for a few seconds until her eyes found Seulgi. The girl used her fingers and thumbs to imitate glasses and puffed out her cheeks. Realisation washed over the teacher and she grinned down at Kitae. 

 

“Ooh,” Byulyi said as she stood up, “Twinkly eyed Chohee. She’s cute.” She winked down at Kitae. “So, wait, Seulgi, why are you taking part in the Blind Date thing? You get offers from boys every day.” 

 

Seulgi blushed horribly and hid her face behind her hands. She mumbled out an answer but it was so quietly uttered that it never reached Byulyi’s ears. She moved closer to the student and asked her to repeat herself. 

 

“Leave her alone, Miss.” Irene said as Seulgi’s face blushed harder. 

 

“Irene, be quiet or I’ll tell everyone your real name.” The student shut and even hid her lips behind her teeth. 

 

Seulgi’s face was still hidden behind her hands but Byulyi knew to leave her alone. Whatever it was that was embarrassing her, must be a secret worth keeping if she wasn’t prepared to say it in class. The student looked over to her friend and mouthed ‘thank you.’ Irene winked in lieu of a reply. 

 

Gathering her students, Byulyi escorted them down into the theatre hall and smiled at the glare Miss Park threw at her as her class loudly entered. Byulyi, who wasn’t fazed at all by Miss Park’s glare, gulped audibly at the glare Yongsun gave her and warned her class to be quiet. Kitae, Seulgi and funnily enough Sunghyuk went backstage with Byulyi’s questioning gaze burning holes in Sunghyuk’s back. 

 

She sat down in a seat next to Yongsun and grinned cheekily at the literature teacher. Yongsun rolled her eyes at her and kept her focus on stage. Besides Byulyi shamelessly telling her class about them, their relationship was still unknown to the school. Did that stop the history teacher from flirting with the older teacher at every and any opportunity? Did it . 

 

She wrapped one arm cockily around the back of Yongsun’s chair and watched as Miss Park began the introductions to the Blind Date show. She couldn’t have been less enthusiastic if she tried. Yongsun contemplated taking the microphone off the older woman and doing it herself. She didn’t fancy getting whacked over the head with it by Miss Park in protest, though. 

 

“Oh god.” Byulyi snorted as one girl came out and sat on a stool next to a divider. On the opposite end of the divider sat three nervous looking boys. “Who’s bright idea was this?” 

 

“Mine.” Yongsun said simply as she looked over at the history teacher with a pointed stare. 

 

Byulyi gulped and sat up straight. “It’s a wonderful idea. I knew that whomever came up with it must have been a smart and beautiful woman.” 

 

“Nice save.” Yongsun chuckled. 

 

“Thanks.” 

 

Contrary to what Byulyi was expecting, the Blind Date show was going quite well. Some people were delighted with the boy or girl they chose and others were devastated causing the audience to roar with laughter. 

 

Seulgi ended up choosing Sunghyuk, strangely enough, and it confused Byulyi slightly. Seulgi’s known the lad for years and knew quite easily what his voice sounded like so she knew exactly who she was choosing when he answered her questions. She tried to catch the students eye as she skipped off stage hand in hand with her most annoying pupil but Seulgi avoided looking anywhere at her. Shrugging her shoulders in defeat, she looked back to the stage in front of her. 

 

Kitae sat down shakily in between two other boys but before Byulyi could see Chohee take a seat, her phone rang from inside her small pouch she hand stitched into her costume. 

 

The caller ID flashed up with the most hilarious photo of Hyejin that Byulyi took once on a night out and Byulyi stifled a chuckle as she answered it ignoring the glare she got from the Korean Literature teacher beside her. 

 

“Hyejin, what’s up?” She whispered as she wandered out into the corridor. 

 

“Byul!” She almost yelled down the receiver of the phone causing the teacher to pull it back in fears of being deafened. “I’m so glad you answered! I need your help- well, it’s not me that needs it exactly, but your help is still greatly needed.” 

 

“I’m at work, what’s wrong?” A spark of worry, annoyance and slight fear struck her over the urgency of Hyejin’s words. She could hear mumbles from the other side of the phone call and knew immediately that Wheein was there. 

 

A sigh rang through the other side of the call. “Wheein got into a little trouble with some loan sharks and they’ve asked to meet them in the abandoned Wild West set in the hills.”  

 

“Loan sharks?” Byulyi whined. “Of course. I’m at work, though. I can’t exactly pop out and come back later just because Wheein decided to borrow money she can’t pay back. Also I’m not exactly dressed for it.” She looked down at herself. “Unless we’re meeting Hades.” 

 

“Please, Byul.” She could hear Wheein whine. 

 

“Please, Byul.” Hyejin repeated. 

 

Rolling her eyes, she answered, “Hold on.” Before heading back into the hall and straight towards Yongsun. She ignored the curious looks she was getting from a few of her students and the pointed glare she got from Miss Park as she came to a stop in front of her girlfriend. Before she could open , her class burst out with a loud cheer and began clapping so intensely that other students joined in because of how infectious it was. She looked over just in time to see Chohee extend her hand towards Kitae and then lead him away from the stage and into the seats assigned for them. 

 

Kitae looked over at Byulyi just in time to see her flash him a wink and a grin. He blushed an awful shade of red before smiling back at her and placing a hand on the back of Chohee’s chair. 

 

Turning back to a smiling Yongsun, Byulyi leaned close to her ear and whispered, “I need you to cover for me for an hour.”

 

“What? Why?” She blinked a few times in confusion. 

 

“I think my friends are about to get murdered or sold on the black market because of a bad debt so I have to play the part of the hero.” Byulyi puffed out her armoured chest and Yongsun chuckled. 

 

“Byul, just because you’re dressed like a fearless warrior doesn’t mean you are one.” She placed a soft hand on the younger woman’s shoulder. “Remember that spider that crawled onto your bedroom wall and you called me at two in the morning to come to yours and move it?” 

 

“That’s not fair, that spider was the size of my head!” 

 

“It was half the size of my hand.” 

 

“Whatever. Will you please cover for me?” Byulyi pleaded with eyes as wide as saucers. 

 

“Ugh.” Yongsun moaned. “Fine. But you better not be late coming back otherwise I’ll just have to find someone else that’s willing to go to a spa for the weekend and me in a hotel room.” 

 

Byulyi grinned as she leaned in closer to the older woman and kissed her cheek. “You’re the best!” She whispered before running off towards the exit, stopping and then running back to Yongsun. “You won’t actually go with someone else, would you?”

 

“No.” Yongsun rolled her eyes. “Now go and hurry back.”

 

 

 

 

 

**

 

 

 

 

“I think we’ve made a wrong turn.” Hyejin mumbled as she scanned the map in her hands. 

 

Byulyi groaned and hit her head off the steering wheel dramatically. She looked over at the passenger side of her car and snatched the map out of Hyejin’s hands only to throw it out of the window and take out her phone. 

 

“Hyejin, you have a smart phone with a map on it!” She moaned loudly. “Why not just use google maps?!” 

 

“Oh, right.” Hyejin mumbled as she took her phone out and searched for their desired location. 

 

Wheein groaned from the back seat. “Let’s just turn back.” She yawned. “They’ll soon come looking for us when we don’t turn up.”

 

“Yeah, they’ll come looking with shotguns and machetes.” Byulyi replied. “Have you never seen mafia movies?” 

 

“Byul, just keep driving and ignore her.” Hyejin mumbled. 

 

The older of the three rolled her eyes and continued driving. The further away they drove from Seoul’s city centre, the smaller the streets became. Byulyi’s heart was pounding away in her chest and the only thing that was comforting her was the thought of having wild with Yongsun when they got back. If they got back. 

 

She shivered as she pulled into the old Wild West set and parked outside the saloon. The atmosphere in the car was tense. Silence rang through them all as they waited for the loan shark to appear. Byulyi’s hands gripped the steering wheel, Hyejin’s nails were in and Wheein… well, Wheein looked the most relaxed out of them all. As if the whole thing bored her. 

 

“You guys should let me do the talking.” Byulyi said as her eyes locked onto a black car in the distance slowly making its way to them. 

 

“Why?” Wheein asked. 

 

“Because you’ll just piss them off more and Hyejin will offer him our souls in exchange for your debt.” 

 

They both opened their mouths to protest only to stop, think about Byul’s words and nod their head in reluctant agreement. 

 

“What was this place used for?” Hyejin asked as she looked around at the old set. 

 

“They used to do shows here years ago.” Byulyi replied. “But had to shut it down because someone replaced the fake bullets in the guns with real ones.”

 

“Jesus.” Hyejin mumbled. “What happened?”

 

“What do you think happened?” Byulyi laughed darkly. “It was an absolute bloodbath.”

 

The two passengers shivered. “Why would someone do that?” Wheein whispered. 

 

“Dunno.” Byulyi shrugged. “Something about a bad debt apparently.” 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter