One

Bad Education
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moon Byulyi had a certain reputation around school. She was known by all for being the most well liked teacher. The students would gush over how down to earth and hilarious she was. Parents didn’t like her, but they couldn’t complain too much considering how well their children were doing in her class. 

Byulyi taught history, but with a certain edge. She tried to make a seemingly boring subject fun. She often told her students that the more fun you make a subject, the more likely you are at remembering it. To further prove her point she often got the students involved in various games to help them memorise for tests. Their grades shot up and so did their enthusiasm for history. 

A lot of the faculty didn’t like her. She wasn’t a typical teacher. She would often speak to student as though they were friends and on a number of occasions other teachers heard her swear towards her pupils. They complained to the headmaster but to no avail. He wasn’t interested in their moans, he was only interested in how much the students grades improved. 

One teacher who gave Byulyi the benefit of the doubt was Korean literature teacher Kim Yongsun. Yongsun was also a well liked teacher. But not for the same reasons. The boys loved her because of how beautiful she was and the girls loved her because of how genuinely nice she was. 

Yongsun often defended Byulyi to the other staff members. Telling them that Byulyi’s unique teaching skills were actually working with the students and maybe other teachers should try it. They just mumbled and rolled their eyes at her. 

Sometimes the other teachers were right about her. Every so often Byulyi would act slightly inappropriately towards the students, swearing at them or ridiculing them, but they took it in all good humour and they treated her the same way. 

She even turned up to work hungover whenever her old school friend wanted to have a night out. That’s how Yongsun came across Byulyi dragging her feet inside the school hallways on a cold October morning. 

“Take your hood off.” Yongsun playfully snapped at her as she brushed past her. 

Smiling somewhat painfully, Byulyi pulled her hood down and revealed dark circles under her tired looking eyes. 

“Good night?” The older teacher asked, opening her classroom door and letting her students inside. 

Byulyi smirked and leaned against the wall next to the door, “It was so good, but I don’t know how I’m going to survive today.” 

“Well that’s your own fault,” Yongsun began walking into her classroom, “Who parties on a Tuesday night?” 

“Someone who doesn’t think about the consequences of her actions and wholeheartedly regrets not calling in sick.” The younger girl moaned, softly rubbing her eyes. 

“Enjoy your day, Miss Moon.” Yongsun winked before slamming the door shut in Byulyi’s face. 

She could hear the other woman groaning loudly behind the door, “Why did you have to shut it so loudly?” She then heard a soft bang on the door and knew Byulyi put her head to rest on the door for several seconds before walking to her own classroom. 

Luckily Byulyi’s room was only down the hall. She could see her students impatiently waiting outside and she gingerly approached. 

“You’re late.” One of them folded their arms across their chests, his thick French accent making her headache throb a bit more. 

“I know.” Byulyi unlocked the classroom door and let her students flood the room, “Guys, just to let you know I am very hungover today, so please don’t be annoying.” She flopped on her chair by her desk and rested her head on the cold wood. 

“Tu es un professeur ridicule.” The French student huffed before taking his seat.

“Olivier,” Byulyi raised her head slightly, “Your language is beautiful, but it means nothing to me.” 

After delegating the attendance register duties to Kang Seulgi - one of her most improved students - Byulyi allowed a few more seconds of peace before diving into today’s subject. 

“Okay guys,” she started, opening a can of Red Bull and taking a huge swig, “Tomorrow we have an test on the Mongolian invasion of Japan,” the groans from her students filled the silence, “So, you know what that means?” Twen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter