Two

Bad Education
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byulyi was never early for school. She was either just on time or late. So when her 11th Grade class turned up to her classroom on a Monday morning, they knew something was wrong. 

 

She was sat by her desk with a Yankees baseball cap pulled low over her eyes. Sensing her students, Byulyi snapped her fingers, “Everyone get inside now and take your seats.”

 

Her class murmured uncertainly, slightly scared and wracking their brains to try and remember if they did anything wrong. No one could think of anything so instead they sat in complete silence. 

 

“Right,” Byulyi jumped up from where she was sat and menacingly stood at the front of the class, “If anyone laughs you’ll be getting three months worth of detentions, which includes Saturday detentions. Do you understand?”

 

After getting a mumble of ‘yes’s from her pupils, Byulyi pulled the cap off her head. The whole classroom in a breath. A few students gasped loudly. 

 

“What happened to your eyebrow?” Seulgi asked, unconsciously touching her own eyebrows. 

 

“Hyejin had a party at ours on Saturday, things got out of hand.” Byulyi placed the hat down on her desk and leaned against it, “I was offered these brownies and I wasn’t aware they had drugs in them and I passed out on the couch. One of Hyejin’s friends must have shaved off my eyebrow.” She sighed, “Then Hyejin offered to draw it back on, but she only knows how to draw her own eyebrows, so now I look stupid because they don’t match.”

 

“I wouldn’t say stupid, Miss.” Sunghyuk sniggered, “I’d say you just look very skeptical.” 

 

Glaring at the boy, Byulyi yelled, “Sunghyuk, welcome to the Breakfast Club.”

 

“What?!” He argued, “I didn’t laugh.” 

 

“Grinning, smiling, sniggering, cackling and smirking counts as laughing.” She grabbed her cap and put it back on, “Miss Park does Saturday detentions so I hope it was worth it.”

 

Sunghyuk let his head sink and rest on his table, groaning as the cold wood sent goosebumps throughout his body. Irene raised her hand and Byulyi nodded at her. 

 

“So,” She started, “You’re telling us you took drugs this weekend?”

 

Scoffing, Byulyi rolled her eyes, “That’s the point you took away from that? I didn’t know they were filled with drugs, Irene, I don’t do drugs. Not since the college incident anyway.” She mumbled the last part. 

 

“Whats the college incident?” Jisung wiggled his eyebrows making Byulyi want to throw a marker at him. 

 

“I accidentally took speed and MDMA at the same time.” She shrugged as if it was nothing. 

 

“That’s a lot.” Seulgi commented. 

 

Sunghyuk lifted his head up, “There’s a story behind that, tell us.”

 

Sighing, Byulyi began, “There’s not much to tell. I don’t really remember much.” She tapped her chin, “Okay so Hyejin and I were invited to a party in our last year of college. She wanted to hook up with someone from the soccer team. She literally abandoned me for him.” She complained, “Then I accidentally stumbled into a room with four boys, they offered me a pill and I took it,” after getting some astonished looks from her students, she shook her head, “I’m not proud of it, don’t look at me like that.”

 

“Someone offered you a pill and you just took it?” Irene kept any sort of emotion out of her voice.

 

“Yes, don’t do what I did.” She waggled a finger at her class, “So yeah, I took this pill and it was the most disgusting thing ever, like seriously I gagged. But then there was a glass of water on the side with a few bits in it, and honestly I thought it was just sugar, so I drank it all.” She stopped. 

 

“Don’t do the pause!” Sunghyuk yelled, “This isn’t Korean Idol, you can’t pause for dramatic effect.”

 

Rolling her eyes, Byulyi continued, “Okay well, I was wearing green jeans and I had bright red hair at the time and when the drugs kicked in I genuinely thought I was Ariel from The Little Mermaid.” The class erupted into laughter, “It gets worse, save your laughter. I ran out of the party and across campus yelling ‘Where is my Prince? Where is my Eric?’ Then I ripped off my shirt and bra and grabbed two leafs and stuck them on my chest. Then I jumped into the water fountain head first and split my head open,” she pointed towards the scar by her hairline, “But I was still conscious. That’s where Hyejin found me and there’s a video of me in that fountain on her phone singing ‘Under The Sea’ so ridiculously loud that I lost my voice.” 

 

Laughing, Sunghyuk asked, “Then what happened?”

 

“Then Hyejin tried to get me out of the fountain and I yelled at her ‘Get away from me Ursula!’ She was so ing pissed off I called her Ursula, she still won’t let me forget it.” Byulyi scratched the back of her neck, “Then some guy was walking past and I jumped on him calling him Eric and asking if he will kill Ursula. That’s the last thing I remember because four days later I woke up in hospital with my whole family around my bed.” 

 

The whole room was engulfed in violent laughter. Even Kitae, who Byulyi had never seen laugh before, was ridiculing her. 

 

“Honestly if you guys ever end up in a situation like mine where you’re offered drugs at a party, just imagine me in a fountain screaming Under The Sea for forty minutes straight because those three words were the only part of that song I knew, before harassing some poor art student. If there was ever an advertisement on drugs not being cool, I was it.”

 

Before Byulyi could divulge any information about what happened during her hospital visit, a knock came at the door. The history teacher uttered a small “Come in.”

 

“I’m sorry, Miss.” A small boy bowed at her, “But Miss Park sent me, you’re late for Monday assembly. She’s really mad.”

 

Rolling her eyes at the young lad, Byulyi responded, “Yeah well, you can tell Miss Park to go herself.”

 

“Okay Miss.” He bowed before walking towards the theatre hall. 

 

“Wait, , no.” Byulyi jumped up, “Excuse me!” She yelled, “Can you come back please?”

 

After making the student promise not to say anything to Miss Park, Byulyi gathered her class and headed to the theatre. Usually they’d be sat next to Miss Park’s class, but due to their tardiness, they had to sit by Miss Kim’s class. Which suited Byulyi fine. 

 

She could feel everyone’s eyes on her and her latecomers as they very loudly took their seats. Byulyi hung off to the side, cap still on her head and refusing to make eye contact with anyone. 

 

“You’re late.” A familiar voice whispered to her. 

 

Grinning, Byulyi lifted up her head, “It’s a long story.”

 

“Why are you wearing a cap indoors?” Yongsun made a play to remove the hat. 

 

Dodging her hands, Byulyi urgently whispered, “No! Don’t touch the hat.”

 

A few students turned towards them, rolled their eyes and turned back to the front. Byulyi followed their gaze and locked eyes with Miss Park who was stood beside the headmaster and glaring daggers at her. 

 

“You know that if she sees it, she’ll torch it.” Yongsun said matter of factly, “Whether it’s on your head or not.” 

 

“Do you have a make up bag?” Byulyi blurted out. 

 

“Sure.” The Korean Literature teacher looked slightly confused at the change of subject. 

 

Holding on to the edge of her cap, Byulyi warned, “I am going to show you something, and you can’t make a sound.”

 

After getting a nod of confirmation from the older woman, Byulyi took her hat off and revealed the damage. Yongsun gasped very loudly, causing a few of Byulyi’s students to turn around and roar with laughter. 

 

“Shut up and turn back around.” Byulyi ordered through gritted teeth before turning back to Yongsun, “Can you fix this?” She almost begged. 

 

“Come to my classroom during break and I’ll sort it for you.” Yongsun tried so hard not to laugh, her hand flew up to cover . 

 

“Have I ever told you how fantastically amazing and beautiful you are?” Byulyi grinned, her nose muscles twitching with happiness. 

 

Smacking the younger woman’s arm, Yongsun cringed, “No, thank goodness. Don’t be greasy or I won’t help you.” 

 

The rest of assembly went by rather dully. That is, however, until Miss Park took over from the headmaster.  

 

“As you are all aware,” Her voice boomed around the room, “Several of our students have fallen victim to muggings in the past few weeks. To help students feel more at ease walking home, we will be enforcing compulsory self defence classes all this week. I will be teaching these classes personally and I would like to thank Miss Moon’s class for volunteering first.” 

 

Twenty students turned to their teacher with shock and anger on their faces. Byulyi was too busy replying to a text her roommate sent her to realise what was going on. Yongsun softly snatched the phone out of her hands and nodded towards the front. Byulyi followed her movements and smiled uncertainly at Miss Park. 

 

“What just happened?” She mumbled to the Korean Literature teacher. 

 

Before she had the chance to reply, Miss Park dismissed the assembly and allowed teachers to take their classes back. Byulyi’s class walked in annoyed silence which further confused the history teacher. 

 

Once they were behind closed doors, however, the students erupted with complaints. 

 

“Why did you volunteer us?”

 

“Have you gone mad?”

 

“I am not fighting anyone, I just got my hair done.”

 

“No one is harming my face.”

 

Holding up her hands, Byulyi shushed them, “Okay, so obviously you guys are upset,” those were the wrong words apparently because the students were even more aggravated, “I have no idea what’s just happened, can someone fill me in?” 

 

“Miss Park basically said

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter