Attack

Humility and Pride

Jongin finished getting ready for his first class of the day. After dinner, he called his brother, which didn’t go as smoothly as he would’ve liked but it went. Sehun and Baekhyun crashed his couch and Jongin was most of the night up thinking it wasn’t a good idea. However, if they were going to do something to him, they had plenty of time to. They left in the morning, promising to be back to walk him to school. Although he was supposed to meet with Minjoon at a café before class. When he explained this, they said they would still walk with him.

He didn’t know why he needed to be walked to school or any other place, but it was whatever at this point.

Taking his coat and his bag, Jongin left his apartment. There were no signs of Sehun or Baekhyun on the halls, so he didn’t know if he should wait for them even though that might make him late or just leave. Jongin sighed, this was ridiculous, he could perfectly walk a few streets on his own. 

Walking out of the building he finally noticed a familiar figure waiting on the sidewalk. Kyungsoo was there, looking at him with that half-smile on his face. Jongin shook his head as he made his way towards him. It was cold and Kyungsoo was barely wearing a sweater.

Was he never cold? Was that something that came with being an angel or whatever it was?

“So, you’re here,” Jongin said as he got closer, Kyungsoo chuckled scanning his body.

“Of course I am, and looks like I was right,” he said, pulling a scarf out of his bag. “Wear this, it’s going to be very cold today.”

“But you’re not wearing much,” Jongin frowned at this.

“I don’t need much, but you do. Put it on,” Kyungsoo took a step closer, wrapping the scarf around Jongin’s neck carefully. For a strange reason, Jongin’s heart started picking up its pace, kind of expecting Kyungsoo’s fingers to touch him but hoping they didn’t. It felt like time froze between them as their eyes connected, and for a second, the moment felt like much more. Once he was done, Kyungsoo cleared his throat and started to walk down the street without checking if Jongin was following him or not. Jongin sighed, adjusting his bag over his shoulder. It was better to be safe than sorry.

“Wait… what do you mean you were right?” Jongin asked, catching up to Kyungsoo and the other just smiled in response. Jongin hated not getting straight answers, but with the little that he knew of the short man walking next to him, he was aware that he would not get much more than that.

They walked in silence until they were in front of the café, it was a lovely place near campus. The smell of coffee alone did wonders to finish waking Jongin up. Kyungsoo sat next to him, their shoulders touching and for whatever reason, Jongin was very aware of it.

“Hi Jongin,” Minjoon greeted when he arrived, sitting down across from them. “Hey, Kyungsoo!” There was a soft blush covering his cheeks, making Jongin chuckle, looked like he wasn’t the only one affected by Kyungsoo’s aura, or energy or whatever.

“Minjoon! How are you?” Jongin smiled, ignoring the way Kyungsoo leaned forward over the table, smiling at Minjoon.

“I’m good! I spent my whole day yesterday procrastinating and now I’m regretting it. I also saw Jongwoon on the way here, he said he wants to meet today for dinner and some drinks… are you guys in?”

Jongin was about to say he something when Kyungsoo interrupted.

“We can go to this bar, the red cube, I heard the food is good there,” he said. Jongin scoffed almost rolling his eyes at this.

“Oh, I like that place, and Yunho works there,” Minjoon smiled brightly at Kyungsoo, of course not noticing a thing. “I’ll tell Jongwoon. Let’s just not go as crazy as last time.” Minjoon pulled out his phone to text their other friend, sending Jongin a look.  

Jongin sighed, giving Kyungsoo a look which he ignored. After that the waiter arrived, giving all three of them a menu. They ordered their coffees to go so they wouldn’t be late for their first class of the day.  

Jongin wasn’t sure if it was completely okay for Kyungsoo to be with him everywhere he went, going to all of his classes and even sitting with them during lunch. Jongwoon and Minjoon both couldn’t stop blushing all the time they were there too, and Jongin just figured it was part of Kyungsoo’s influence on people. He was attractive to people, and he noticed it happened more intensely the closer they were to him.

Was Jongin immune to this?

He had no comments on that.

After classes were over, the group agreed to reunite at the bar to have their night out. Jongwoon mentioned Yunho would be there too but Jongin wasn’t sure if it was as a bartender or a friend. Kyungsoo dropped Jongin off at his apartment and left with the excuse that he had to do something and would send Baekhyun to watch over him instead.

Jongin insisted that he didn’t need a babysitter.

Kyungsoo ignored him.

But looking at the bright side, Jongin now had some time to himself. He called his brother to check-in for the day, took a shower, and checked his social media for a while. It wasn’t until around eight when he heard the doorbell, he had been a whole hour by himself and he thought Baekhyun wasn’t going to make it anyways. 

It looks like he did.

“Coming!” Jongin announced, putting his phone inside his pocket before going over to open the door. In front of him, there was someone about his height, blond hair coming out of a hoodie, his face covered with a mask. It took Jongin a second to understand this was not Baekhyun and something was wrong.

One moment that felt like forever they were standing in front of each other and the next there was a hand squeezing the life out of Jongin’s throat. He was gasping for air when this person just pushed him against a wall. Jongin’s brain was trying to process this situation quickly, otherwise, his lungs would run out of air and he would die.

Jongin was not about to die here.

Touching around, Jongin started to feel his lungs burning at the lack of air, his sight turning blurry. He finally reached a vase that was set as decoration near the door, smashing it into this person’s head. He was released immediately and Jongin wasted no time in running away from him. He had two options: locking himself inside one of the rooms or running to the kitchen where all the potential weapons were.

Jongin ran for the kitchen, grabbing the first thing that he could find which happened to be a frying pan.

He would work with what he had.  

Looking up he couldn’t see the intruder, he was trying hard to get some air through his body, adrenaline rising on his veins. He slowly made his way around the kitchen counter, the intruder couldn’t just disappear out of thin air, right? They had to be around there somewhere. Jongin held the pan against his chest, fear filling every bone in his body. Why was this happening? What was going on?

He was pushed to the floor and suddenly he had another body on top of him. How the did the intruder move so fast to be behind him? It just wasn’t possible at all. The perpetrator went back to his choking mission. Jongin was trying to push him away, holding on to the frying pan he smashed it against this person’s head… repeatedly.

Nothing happened.

The burning feeling on his lungs was back, he pushed and pushed and tried to move around, tried to set himself free. Nothing was working, it was like this person had some sort of monumental strength as they pressed down on him. Jongin went for the face, pushing it away as a last resort.

“Stay away from me,” he whispered, his voice broken and weak due to the lack of air. Suddenly there was a white light, so bright that he had to close his eyes, it was warm and comforting. He heard the intruder scream and step back releasing him. Jongin coughed, trying to crawl his way away from the perpetrator with the little strength he had left, filling his lungs greedily with air in the process.

He had no strength to escape anymore. Was this it? Was he going to die here?

Jongin struggled to pull himself up in a sitting position on the floor, he had been expecting the intruder to start strangling him again, he looked up and what he saw sent a shiver down his spine, his skin filling up with goosebumps.

He would’ve gasped in shock if he wasn’t already gasping for air.

There were… two angels in his living room. White wings against black wings as somebody else kicked his intruder’s . He couldn’t tell who it was, but this new person was shorter than Sehun so it couldn’t be him. So, maybe Baekhyun? Which one was he again?

Jongin considered the idea of his brain being hallucinating at the lack of oxygen, but at the same time, he was sure that what his eyes were witnessing was very real. The black wing angel, or demon, or whatever kicked the other out of Jongin’s apartment. He heard some more struggle outside before he came back in, walking straight towards Jongin.

There was still fear in him, so he immediately pushed back when the angel tried to reach for him.

“It’s okay… I’m not going to hurt you,” he said in that voice so deep and melodic that Jongin knew well, he could only stare at him. It felt so familiar yet something he could not recognize, the feeling of having lived this before. “It’s Kyungsoo, it’s just me.”

Jongin nodded slightly. He tried to speak but it all came out hoarse and broken. Tears starting to roll down his cheeks, he was still out of it, and his voice was a mess but that didn’t stop him from sobbing. “Kyungsoo?”

“Yeah, It’s me… I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo ran a hand through Jongin’s hair, his eyes filled with worry. “I’m so sorry.”

“I opened the door… I thought it was Baekhyun,” Jongin tried to get the words out but with the sobbing and his raspy voice, he doubted Kyungsoo could understand a thing.

“I know, it’s okay. Don’t force yourself, let’s go back to the bar and one of the guys will help you,” Kyungsoo offered a hand, his bright blue eyes slowly fading to black and his wings disappearing. He just saved him, he saved him from getting strangled to death. Jongin had to start believing that maybe they weren’t going to hurt him after all if he wanted him dead, he would’ve just let the intruder finish the job.

Jongin took a few deep breaths before taking his hand. The apartment was a mess but there was nothing he could do about it now. Kyungsoo’s hand was also warm and comforting, and familiar to him in a way he hadn’t experienced before.

Why?

“You’re going to be fine,” the other reassured Jongin in a low voice, although it sounded more like he was trying to reassure himself. He helped Jongin stand up effortlessly, but of course, someone that could kick a virtue’s had no issue lifting someone like Jongin. He didn’t know if the goosebumps on his skin were because of what had just happened to him or if it was because of the way Kyungsoo was holding him.

“Thank you,” Jongin said with his broken voice, and all he got was a stare from his savior.

A stare that had so much yearning in it. A stare Jongin felt he saw before somewhere, a long time ago and at the same time so new to him.

It was that feeling of déjà vu that was so unsettling, and he couldn’t stop his brain from trying to gather memories he didn’t have.

The only thing that came to his mind was that flashback he got of himself being an angel.

And a kiss.