Weird

Humility and Pride

Jongin zipped his coat a little better, it had been raining so the morning was colder than usual. He had decided to stop by a nearby coffee shop before getting to his first class of the day. The day before he ended going home later than he thought because talking to Minjoon and Jongwoon was a fun experience and he didn’t want to let it go too soon. They had dinner also in another place and it seemed like the three of them clicked wonderfully. This made Jongin happy.

As always, he got a text from his brother early in the morning, just to see how his second day was going and how he was doing. Jongin replied over some breakfast. Which reminded him, he had to go grocery shopping soon also, he didn’t have much at his apartment and he didn’t want to get used to eating outside that much.

Walking into the coffee shop, he stood in line, at least three people in front of him were waiting to put in their order also. Jongin took the time to go over his social media right quickly, his favorite girl group was going to make a comeback soon, some old classmates updated a few pictures, mostly all the same stuff.

Once it was his turn, he politely asked for his coffee, giving the cashier a smile before pulling out a credit card from his wallet. He waited patiently, suddenly feeling his skin tingle, subtle goosebumps covering his arms and he just doesn’t know why. He looked around discreetly, but he didn’t find anything weird or out of place, so he just took his coffee once it was ready, plugging in his earphones and putting his playlist on while he walked the rest of the way to school.

Entering the campus, he spots Minjoon a few feet away, he smiles before catching up with him, pulling one earphone out of his ear.

“Morning Minjoon,” he greeted, Minjoon turning to his name, smiling at Jongin.

“Hey Jongin, good morning,” he changed his bag from one shoulder to the other. “Are you heading to math?” Jongin nods, the first semester is filled with general subjects, things he had just seen on his last year of high school, but he didn’t mind. “Yeah, well it’s nice if we share this one too,”

“How was the rest of the night yesterday? When I left, it seemed like you guys weren’t going home anytime soon,” Jongin smiled, remembering the two of them suggesting karaoke after they had dinner, Jongin still had to organize stuff at home, so he declined.

“Oh, it was really fun, we met with a friend of Jongwoon’s who works there apparently, you should join us next time,” Minjoon smiled, brushing his hair out of his face. Minjoon was slightly shorter than Jongin, while Jongwoon was about Jongin’s height. Minjoon mentioned it the night before, saying when they walked together, he deserved the spot in the middle as the squad leader.

They could barely be considered a squad, and he already wanted to be the leader.

“I will,” he assured as they entered the classroom, aiming for the middle, taking a seat right next to the other. The moment Jongin sat down he felt that strange sensation over again, looking over at the few students that had already made it into the class he noticed the same guy that had been staring at him the day before, staring once again. Jongin felt his breath getting stuck in his throat as he watched the other guy intently, the slow smirk that adorned the guy’s lips made Jongin shiver a little.

He wanted to look away, but he refused to lose this staring contest, his eyes glued to the other. The guy chuckled, looking at the front of the classroom when the teacher walked inside. Jongin let out the air he didn’t know he was holding, finally looking away, his heart was pounding inside his chest, it was a simple staring contest, but he felt like he just came back from war.

The teacher suddenly stepped out to answer a phone call. Jongin was taking notes when he felt a presence next to him. He looked up and there he was, this weird guy was standing next to him with a smile. Up close his eyes seemed to sparkle under the brown pupils.

“C-can I help you?” Jongin sat back on his chair as if that would give him more space. It wasn’t like the guy was standing right over him either, but he felt as if the air around him was being away.

“I just wanted to introduce myself,” the guy tilted his head slightly, his eyes capturing Jongin’s. “I’m Kyungsoo,” he said, offering a hand. “You probably think I’m weird, but I want to be friends,” he said with a smile, a smile that gave Jongin goosebumps and not in a good way.

“Is that why you’ve been staring? That’s an odd way of starting a friendship,” Jongin said. Kyungsoo found this to be funny, laughing very loudly, it was an odd, twisted laugh. This was just getting weirder by the second. Other students glanced at them from their seats, great. Either way, Jongin wasn’t going to leave him hanging so he shook his hand. There was an instant electric wave that ran up Jongin’s arm when their fingers touched and made him gasp softly. “I’m Jongin,” he replied, voice a little unsteady, and the other’s smile just widened.

“Nice to meet you Jongin,” Kyungsoo’s voice was deep, yet melodic. Charming. Kyungsoo was shorter than Jongin, or at least so he thought. They stared at each other for a while when the teacher finally walked back into the classroom. Kyungsoo nodded and walked back to his seat, his eyes still on Jongin’s every move.

It was weird, there was some sort of magnet trying to pull him towards this person, something he couldn’t understand. However, Jongin resisted at all costs.

Jongin tried to focus on his class, grateful for the distraction of numbers and equations being thrown at him. When the class was finally over, Jongin gathered his stuff, putting them inside his bag slowly, avoiding having his eyes wander around the area where Kyungsoo was sitting. Smiling at something Minjoon said, but not really paying attention to him, his eyes were looking down, but his brain was at the other side of the classroom.

They walked out, even when he didn’t want his eyes scanned the student crowd, luckily not finding any signs of him. He allowed himself to breathe properly.

“Jongin,” Minjoon called, breaking Jongin’s trance.

“Huh? Sorry, did you say something?”

“Yeah, that Jongwoon is at the cafeteria, so I was thinking to stop by. Are you ok?” Minjoon patted Jongin’s shoulder slightly. Jongin smiled, scratching the back of his head, he would admit he was more than distracted for a moment there.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Let’s do that,” he quickly agreed, so that they would move on. For some reason, he didn’t feel comfortable sharing the unsettling experience yet. They walked together to the cafeteria, quickly spotting Jongwoon with another guy, talking and smiling, he was doing big gestures with his hands, something slightly different from what he saw in him the day before, but he also had to remember he didn’t know them that well.

They sat down, Minjoon greeting the other guy cheerfully.

“Hi Jongin, this is Yunho,” Jongwoon introduced them, waving at his friend. It didn’t go unnoticed the way his eyes sparkled while doing so.

“This is who I was telling you about this morning,” Minjoon said, putting his bag to the side and sitting next to Yunho. Jongin smiled at the guy in question, greeting him politely.

“I’m Jongin, nice to meet you,” he said, Yunho had long black hair, carefully brushed back, his hair was almost reaching his shoulders, a couple of piercings and a lip ring that he kept moving around with his tongue.

“Nice to meet you too,” Yunho replied, “These guys couldn’t stop talking about how they wished you went karaoke with them last night.”

“Ah, I had things to do, but next time I’ll go for sure,” A little fun never hurt anybody.

“How about tonight?” Yunho wiggled his eyebrows suggestively with a smile. “I work at a bar part-time too, I could get you guys a discount.”

From karaoke to bar night. That was a big change.

“I’m in,” Jongwoon was quick to say, Minjoon and Jongin looked at each other for a moment, perhaps both thinking the same, before nodding also.

“Cool, Jongwoon can text you guys the address.”

“Are we going to drink on a Tuesday?” Minjoon asked. Jongin wasn’t used to these types of things, but he honestly didn’t mind. He was tired of staying home and be good every single day, his brother loved him, and he knew it after their parents died, he had to take care of Jongin at a very young age, but he was a little too strict. For once Jongin just wanted to have fun and let go.

“It’s not ideal, but why not,” Jongin shrugged.

The four of them finished setting the details of their night out, Yunho would be there already since he had to get there for his shift and Jongwoon would go earlier to keep him company in the meantime. Jongin still had to go grocery shopping after classes so he and Minjoon would meet the rest there, after ten. Minjoon, Jongwoon, and Jongin moved to their next class after that, which they also had together coincidentally. Jongin was happy to notice he didn't feel watched for the rest of the afternoon, and for that, he was thankful, also no other signs of Kyungsoo on any of his other classes of the afternoon, so he was able to spend the rest of his day in peace.

Hours later, Jongin walked into his apartment with his school bag hanging from his shoulder and the grocery bags in his arms. Putting them carefully on the kitchen counter, he soon started to organize everything. He liked to have everything in order, hating a messy space since he was a child, Jongin could not just get something and leave it just wherever. He still had to take a shower and look for whatever he was going to wear for that night.

He the TV, just to have some white noise as he finished organizing his vegetables and other stuff. Folding the bags and setting them to the side, Jongin walked around the apartment, opening the curtains to his balcony as the nightlife happened in front of him. He took a deep breath, listening to how the news anchor reported about the government, Korea's tourism, and other things.

Jongin moved to his room, the apartment wasn’t the biggest in the building, but it was okay for what Jongin needed, with two bedrooms and one bathroom, a living room and kitchen with a small dining area. His favorite place, however, had to be the balcony, he enjoyed looking at Seoul's life from above. He opened the door to his closet, getting a simple white T-shirt with some ripped jeans and a jacket since it would more than likely be cold.

Should he wear a scarf? Maybe he should.

He pulled a scarf also, one that his brother had given him at least two years ago on Christmas. That just reminded him that he needed to call his brother, he took his cellphone out of his back pocket, looking for his brother's contact quickly and pressing on it to call him.

His brother picked up after two rings.

"Hello?"

Jongin could hear the incessant typing, phones ringing, and the sound of printing machines in the background. Of course, his brother would still be working at this time. "Jongin."

"Hey, just giving you the usual check-up call," Jongin chuckled as he picked a pair of shoes, setting them carefully in front of his outfit.

"Ah, I see. How was college today?" he was doing his best to sound interested, but Jongin could tell he was very distracted by his work.

"You know, the usual. I made some friends and we had lunch together today," he walked into his bathroom, now more on the mood for a bath than an actual shower, he still had time. He ran the water at a somewhat hot temperature.

"That's nice. I'm happy for you. What's on the schedule for tonight?" he said that so casually like he wasn't just trying to see what Jongin was up to so he could scold him if he thought his activities were any dangerous or not important for a weekday.

"I'm going to take a bath now," Jongin tested the water, it was perfect. "After that, I'm going to have some dinner and then off to bed."

"Good, glad to see you're being responsible,"

Jongin would roll his eyes.

"Ok then... I'll talk to you tomorrow; I can tell you're working so I don't want to interrupt."

"It's fine, talk to you tomorrow," with that their call was over. Jongin did not feel the slightest bit of guilt for lying to his brother, any other time he would, but right now he was just too focused on having fun. Having fun with some newly acquired friends.

Jongin took his bath, changing into the clothes he had selected right after. Since he shared accounts with his brother for the ride’s app, he had already created a new one to ask for a cab, of course, paying in cash since more than likely his brother would track his credit card movements. It was nine thirty-five when the taxi arrived, driving smoothly through the streets of Seoul. Barely ten minutes later they were in front of said bar. He paid the driver, getting out, feeling grateful for his decision to grab a scarf since the air was very chilly.

The bar was called 'The Red Cube', the letters glowing red hot on the sign as he made his way in. There were a few people scattered but he was able to locate Minjoon and Jongwoon immediately. Minjoon waving his arm so he could see them, not that he needed that. Jongin walked over greeting them quickly with a smile, as he sat down.

"Glad you could make it," Jongwoon said, gesturing the waitress to bring him a drink. Jongin smiled, taking the time to look around. The bar was decorated in all red and black, a slight cinnamon scent filling the air, along with the distinct smell of alcohol. The lights were dim, giving the place a more intimate look with a few neon signs here and there.

Sin free zone, was one of the signs closest to his table, glowing in purple above their heads. Jongin found the theme interesting.

Minjoon pointed at Yunho at the bar, an easy smile on the bartender’s face as he returned Jongin’s wave, quickly going back to work.

A drink was soon placed in front of Jongin, a half reddish half pinky drink, with a sweet scent. He took a small sip, it was indeed as sweet as he thought, gaining a little more confidence, and taking longer sips before he knew it, he had already finished the whole thing.

“Slow down there,” Minjoon laughed. “We don’t want you to be drunk too early.”

“I can hold my alcohol well,” Jongin responded, he doesn’t know why he said that because he had never taken a drop of alcohol before. Jongwoon gives him a look, eyebrows raised, but he smiles and looks down at his drink.

“If you say so,” Minjoon said, ordering a new round for the table. The place wasn’t crowded, of course, due to it being a weekday, but there were a few groups scattered around the place, laughing, and drinking as they were. The minutes went by, along with several rounds of beer and other drinks that Minjoon kept ordering. Jongin allowed himself to look around the place again, as time went by more people started to show up.

His eyes lingered over a couple sitting a few tables away, the first guy he saw had copper-black hair, tightly wrapped in a bun, a lip chain that went all the way to his ear and next to it a lip ring. He was whispering stuff into another guy’s ears, with a sly smile on his face. The other guy, with bright blonde curls, covering his head, wearing a shy smile as he heard whatever the first guy had to say. He was handsome, both were, to be honest, but there was some innocence to the blonde, that Jongin could not explain.

One of the brunette’s hands caressed its way down the blonde’s torso, disappearing under their table, while the free hand grabbed the blonde’s chin, turning his head more towards him, his eyes fixated on the blonde’s lips. Jongin thought they were going to kiss, and maybe they would’ve if the brunette didn’t suddenly turn his head to look directly into Jongin’s eyes.

A piercing stare that shook everything inside of Jongin, a fascinating pair of eyes, one black and one blue, looking back at him like he wasn’t just flirting with the blonde a second ago. He wanted to say it was the alcohol, but he couldn’t be sure. The brunette’s lips curved up in a cold smirk as he still observed Jongin, a shiver running down Jongin’s spine, trying to look away but being physically unable to. He didn’t know how many seconds passed until the guy looked away, finally releasing Jongin from what felt like a powerful spell.

Jongin was completely out of breath, his friends had not noticed luckily, but his head was spinning as a response to the lack of air maybe, the air he didn’t know was not properly going into his lungs, maybe because of the alcohol, any other reason was not acceptable for his brain.

“I’ll be right back,” Jongin stood up, the bathroom wasn’t far away, and he thought he could make it there without falling on his side. He would probably feel better after washing his face and taking a break, or so he thought. His legs weren’t cooperating, but he paid no attention to it as he made his way to the bathroom.

Luckily for him, there was only one other guy in there, he was so dizzy he felt like he could throw up any minute and doing that in front of a full bathroom would be embarrassing. Jongin approached the sink, barely acknowledging the other person next to him. He splashed his face with cold water, feeling his skin refresh instantly, a sigh escaping his lips also. His reflection in the mirror returned his stare, dark brown eyes looking back at him, out of focus, and a little dilated.

He was not feeling better and maybe he should’ve never lied about being able to hold his alcohol when in reality it was obvious, he couldn’t.

Jongin held on to the marble counter, he could still hear the water running and his head just kept spinning. He took a few deep breaths, trying to get his brain to work properly again, not liking the feeling of not being fully in control of what happened to his body. Finally, his legs gave in, falling to the cold floor, his eyes lingering on the ceiling light. The edges were blurry and darkening, maybe he was going to pass out there.

So, this is what it feels like to be drunk.

Before his eyes closed, all Jongin saw was blonde hair.

Ringing. Constant ringing.

The annoying noise was about to make Jongin go insane if someone could just… shut it off then that would be great. His ears were buzzing, and he could feel the pulsating pain behind his eyes and temples increasing with the seconds that went by. He opened one eye to test the situation, immediately receiving the wrath of the morning sun, something not at all requested. Closing his eye again, Jongin turned around, burying his face against the pillow. His head was hammering him, which meant that unless he got up to get something for it, he would be suffering from it the rest of the morning.

He shifted again on his bed, lying on his side as he tried again. Opening both of his eyes this time, shielding his sight with a hand to avoid increasing the throbbing pain. Once he was able to see around, he noticed that he was inside his room. A brief scan through his memories concluded with him not knowing how he got there in the first place. He remembered the bar, his friends, the drinks, but he did not remember getting back home.

He hoped his friends didn’t have to put up with his drunk self.

He would be embarrassed if his head wasn’t trying to drill him in half already. He sat on his bed, everything seemed in order, his phone buzzing with his alarm on his bedside table, right next to a glass of water and an Advil. Jongin frowned, not even remembering grabbing this the night before for the next day. He had never been drunk but if this was what it was like, then he was a very responsible drunk. Although he wasn’t sure if there was such a thing.

Reaching over to grab the glass and the pill, he quickly noticed a sticky note attached to the crystal glass. He turned it around, the note didn’t have much on it, just a simple smiley face, however, it made Jongin’s skin crawl. He wouldn’t do that himself, no matter how drunk he was, so he could only hope for Jongwoon or Minjoon to have taken him over to his apartment and done all of this for him.

He’s trying to avoid thinking that he doesn’t remember a thing and that his friends don’t know where he lives.

It was very weird.

However, Jongin did not have time or energy to think about any of this, he had classes to attend, an empty stomach that was growling at the lack of food, and a headache that was yet to give in.

He would figure out the rest later.