Three words, eight letters

Humility and Pride

It had been a while since he felt like this, just completely at peace and warm. The light of a new day peeking through his windows, illuminating the room. Jongin felt movement next to him, making him turn and smile at the sight in front of him. Jongin couldn’t believe he thought Kyungsoo was a creep, well if he was being honest, he could believe it, but it felt so silly after getting his memories back. Kyungsoo who tried to protect him since the beginning of time. Kyungsoo who loved him like nobody else.

His Kyungsoo.

The one he would love until the end of time.

Jongin brushed the hair out of Kyungsoo’s forehead, he was still asleep after last night’s events. Yixing did a great job in healing him but they had fought three virtues, there was no way it wouldn’t affect him. Also, Kyungsoo loved to sleep in, which is something Jongin was so happy he could remember. Right now, having Kyungsoo wrapped all over him and embracing him as well, Jongin truly felt happy.

He felt good.

He knew this wouldn’t last forever, he still had a lot of explaining to do, not only to Kyungsoo but to the rest of them. This was a secret he had been keeping for thousands of years, not because he didn’t trust them, but because he just couldn’t tell anyone until it happened.

Until he finally unlocked all his powers.

Kyungsoo moved around again and Jongin knew he would be awake soon, the way he stretched into him, a big yawn escaping his lips before his eyes finally fluttered open, his stare landing on Jongin’s. There was relief running through Jongin’s body when the other smiled so brightly upon seeing him. Their bond wasn’t something that could be broken with time, but everything seemed so complicated now.

“Good morning,” Jongin greeted, he hadn’t realized he was smiling until Kyungsoo leaned in and kissed him.

And what a great kiss that was.

It was the first kiss they ever shared in this life, the first kiss they shared in so many years since the last time Jongin had his memories. It was sweet, impatient, hungry, gentle, and everything a kiss should be. Jongin had goosebumps crawling over his skin and Kyungsoo sighed into the kiss, both feeling pure bliss because they were finally really touching each other.

When Jongin pulled back for air, Kyungsoo chased his lips, locking them together once again.

“I like your way of saying good morning,” Jongin giggled into Kyungsoo’s lips and the other smiled, kissing the corner of Jongin’s mouth, his chin, his neck. “The guys will be here soon.”

Kyungsoo sighed. “Does that mean I have to wait longer?”

“Technically yes,” Jongin chuckled, leaning back to look at him properly. “I missed you.”

And it was true, deep down, Jongin’s soul had missed him.

“I missed you too,” Kyungsoo whispered, capturing the other’s lips once again. Jongin had a feeling this would go on for a while until they had to get up to receive the others. Jongin had insisted on using his apartment to let Kyungsoo rest, and that way they would get the privacy they wanted for at least a few hours.

Kyungsoo attacked Jongin’s neck and what started as a laugh coming out of Jongin’s throat ended as a pleased gasp.

“Well, maybe if we’re quick,” Jongin sighed, knowing he would give in sooner or later.

“Just this once, you know I don’t like to be rushed,” Kyungsoo protested, making Jongin laugh.

“Ah, yes… I remember.”

Eight expectant faces were looking at Jongin, of course, he didn’t expect any less. When Baekhyun, Sehun, and Yixing left the night before Jongin knew they would tell the others what they saw. He knew he would have to explain sooner or later, he just never knew when that time would come.

At this point, he was sure he would never get his sin powers.

Jongin sighed as he sat down on the couch, looking at them, it reminded him of their latest welcome back party. He smiled to break the ice a little and Kyungsoo went over to hold his hand. Jongin loved him a little more.

“I’m sure you all know by now, about last night’s events,” Jongin didn’t know how to begin to explain.

“You got your memory back,” Junmyeon said, and of course he would be leading the conversation, Junmyeon felt more like a leader than Jongin ever did.

“I did,”

“And you got… new powers?” Junmyeon glanced at Sehun and Baekhyun who were so tense that Jongin was sure they would break any second.

“They are but at the same time they’re not new,” Jongin squeezed Kyungsoo’s hand, taking a deep breath. “My mother was a heaven angel which is where I get my virtue, and my father was a fallen angel, which also gives me a sin,” his words are slow-paced and careful. “You could say I was born instead of created because somehow my parents were… in love.”

He received nothing but silence all over his living room. Jongin knew it was a lot to take in, even the mere thought of the two angels mixing was way more than taboo for their kind, it was forbidden. Jongin wasn’t supposed to exist.

“When I was born, my mother locked my Sin side so I could pass as a regular virtue while the war was happening, however without the mortal genes I exceeded their expectations, once I was properly trained they made me a leader because of this.” 

“But you never unlocked your powers before? Ever?” Yixing asked.

“I could only unlock my powers after turning eighteen, so it makes me believe that they know this since they’ve been killing me at age seventeen all these years.” Jongin shrugged. “They were a year late this time. I’m not sure if it was a mistake or not.”

“And what does that mean for you?” Baekhyun’s voice was so low, Jongin smiled.

“It means that now…,” Jongin looked at Kyungsoo. “They’re going to have an extremely hard time killing me. Not just anybody can fulfill that task.”

“So, you will stay this time…,” There was so much hope in Kyungsoo’s voice, so much love that Jongin didn’t want to break. He wanted to take care of it for the rest of his existence.

“It’s possible, doesn’t mean they won’t keep trying.”

“We’ll be here when they do,” Junmyeon had nothing but determination in his eyes, Jongin appreciated that. “If this is the deal then, this time we’re stronger.”

Jongin smiled. “Thank you.”

“So… you’re Cruella de Vil now?” Sehun spoke for the first time, pointing at Jongin’s half black, half blond hair.

“You could say so,” he leaned into Kyungsoo’s shoulder, feeling happy.

“This calls for celebration,” Baekhyun clapped, standing up from the couch and looking around. “Let’s celebrate at the red cube.”

“Love the new name by the way,” Jongin informed. Their business had gone through several transformations and names over the years.

“I know right?! We won five over three against Pretty Sins,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes, shaking his head.

“That doesn’t sound so bad.” Jongin laughed.

“This is why we needed you when we voted,” Sehun also stood up, pushing Baekhyun back down. “I say we close it so we can have it to ourselves.”

“Alright, we’ll handle the celebration and we’ll let you two have some more bonding time,” Junmyeon imitated Sehun, glancing at the others so they would do the same. Jongin felt the heat rushing to his cheeks but he didn’t say a word. He needed that alone time with Kyungsoo. They both did.

After everyone left, the one thing Jongin appreciated the most was being able to feel Kyungsoo’s arms around him. He chuckled as he remembered how he had thought of him as a creepy guy. Kyungsoo had worked hard to keep him safe and it didn’t matter how many times he died, Jongin was always grateful.

Jongin sighed in pure bliss as he wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo as well. It felt right to be like that, the only home Jongin would ever have.

“Last night…,” Kyungsoo whispered. He pressed a soft kiss on the top of Jongin’s head before he continued. “I don’t think I’ve ever been this scared before. We had barely just found you, compared to other times, you didn’t have your memories and I just thought for a moment that maybe it would be over if I died with you.”

Jongin looked up at him, frowning. “Don’t say that. What’s going to happen when I come back, and you don’t?”

“Maybe it would be better that way,” Kyungsoo’s eyes were suddenly troubled. Jongin saw the pain inside them, of course, he would be tired of watching Jongin die over and over, but to Jongin, the fact that he could come back and Kyungsoo would be there was what made him pull through all those years. He didn’t want to be reborn in a world that didn’t have Kyungsoo.

“It wouldn’t,” Jongin ran a hand through the other’s hair, kissing his chin carefully. “I’m not afraid of dying, I’ve done that a few times already. I am afraid of losing you.”

None of them said anything for a moment, communicating with their eyes instead. There was as much pain as there was love of course, but neither of them had any doubt that if things went right for them then they would be able to get through it together.

Because that was all they needed.

As promised the bar was empty. No customers other than them to fill the space and that’s how they preferred this celebration to go. Jongin and Kyungsoo arrived past eight and the rest of them were already drinking and eating without them. Baekhyun quickly occupied the spot next to Jongin, linking arms with him.

“I guess we should now tell you everything Kyungsoo has been up to these past few years you haven’t been around.” Baekhyun wasn’t one to drink often, however, when he did just a few glasses did the trick for him.

“I think I have an idea of what that was.” Jongin laughed, patting Baekhyun’s arm. Kyungsoo on the other hand just glared at his friends as if trying to tell them to keep their mouths shut.

Sehun had a playful smile when he leaned forward over the table. “I have a complete list.”

“Sehun, do you want to end up with a few broken bones?” Kyungsoo threatened. They all knew he was strong enough to do that.

“Jongin will protect me,” Sehun replied, sticking his tongue out. Jongin laughed at them.

“It’s fine, I don’t expect him to be a saint when I’m not around,” he held Kyungsoo’s hand under the table. “I’m the only one that has his heart even when other people may have other things.”

“That’s not fun… Chanyeol a little help here,” Sehun said and Chanyeol shook his head, downing the rest of his glass.

“You’re on your own,” he responded, wrapping an arm around Baekhyun, and ignoring Sehun. Jongin laughed again, watching Sehun pout and sit back on his chair completely defeated.

Jongin looked around his group of friends. He watched them laugh and tease each other and drink and be as loud as they always were, nothing had changed and Jongin felt so happy to see that. This group of virtues and sins would have his back no matter what happened, and he knew even when their problem was far from over, even when his days may be counted on this earth…

He would still have great friends that would wait for him on the other side.

And an even greater love that would love him no matter how many years went by.

Jongin leaned in to kiss Kyungsoo’s cheek, the other turned to look at him and smiled when Jongin leaned in again to kiss his lips. It wasn’t just any smile; it was the smile he had reserved for him only. A smile he had seen on every previous life, whenever they met again.

A smile he saw the very first time they met.

A smile he would give his life to protect.

“I love you,” Jongin said. He felt good by finally being able to say this again, especially with the way Kyungsoo’s eyes sparkled when he heard it.

“I love you,” Kyungsoo said, and that was the greatest thing he could ever hear as well.

Those three words and eight letters.