LIES?

SINCE THERE IS YOU

  Lia finally came back after she successfully informed her sister that they will be taking Seulgi with them. She entered the lounge with a dangling arm and a blank facial expression. Yeji immidately handed the cue stick to Dahyun and approached her girlfriend who seemed to be not in the mood.

“Hello everyone.” Joohyun greeted them with a wide smile. Both Seulgi and Yeji know the reason why Lia suddenly acted that way. Eveyone bowee at Joohyun except Lia who’s totally frustrated at her older sister. “Ah, Ms. Kim, if you happened to passed by this young lady around the mansion, she’s my sister.”

“Ah annyeonghasaeyo, I am Kim Dahyun. One of Ms. Bae’s bodyguard.” Dahyun bowed at her. “No wonder you two really looked a like.”

Lia hated that compliment so she gazed at Dahyun really sharp and that’s when she realized she and Seulgi are wearing the same uniform which made her delay brain processing that she’s a bodyguard of her sister. “Omo… you still have your bodyguard with you.” She smiled. “Just stay here and we’ll be having Seulgi unnie with us.”

“No. I said i’ll be coming with you and my decision is final.” Joohyun firmly told her younger sister. “Ms. Kim and Ms. Kang, put my stuffs inside the van.” She ordered her bodyguards.

“Andwe.. you’re just going to ruin our camping!” Lia marched in complain. “Seulgi unnie, she’s going to be a real burden. She doesn’t know how to start a fire, she doesn’t have any interest in fishing and she can’t even stand anight without airconditioned room.”

But Joohyun hated that fact that besides Lia is being too disrespectful to her, she also make remarks that might turn off Seulgi. “Will you please shut your mouth?” She asked her sister. “There’s always room for learning.” 

“Excuse me Ms. Bae, am I coming with you?” Dahyun asked.

“Miane Dahyun unnie. The van has only one bedroom and we just brought a tent for a spare sleeping room.” Yeji told her. 

“Yeji, help us prepare the van and Ms. Bae and Lia, kindly settle your issues right now. Let’s not ruin the mood of the great evening.” Seulgi said as she went out to collect Joohyun’s stuffs at the front mansion.

And so what Joohyun wants, what Joohyun gets. At the end of the heated debate she won. She left Yeji and Lia no choice that if she’s not going to come then Seulgi won’t came either. She took the passenger seat in front while Lia and Yeji are sitting at the long couch while watching TV.

“Ah jinja, this is so frustrating.” Lia said as she lean her head on her girlfriend’s shoulder. “I only wanted to spend the night with you and Seulgi so she could unwind as well but my sister still managed to be a burden.” She frowned.

Yeji just responded with a smile. “Baby, I guess if you can’t forgive your sister as of the moment at least give her chance to make it up to you.” Yeji said. “I can see she’s trying.” 

“Ah molaseo.. she’s really annoying.” Lia said. 

On the other hand, Joohyun never enjoyed evening trips except today. Having both of her and Seulgi’s younger sister made her feel delighted. She admits that it was a struggle to convince Lia to make her join their camping but it ws all worth it since she’s already riding the van with them.

“Seems lime you got used to sitting next to me.” Seulgi said as she keep her eyes on the road while sipping some tea from her tumbler.

Joohyun rolled her eyes. “I just want you to keep a close company just in case you got sleepy.” She reasoned out glancing at the lovebirds on the mirror. “And besides, it will be very awkward to stay at the back. My sister is like a leech to Yeji. Doesn’t your sister feel suffocated at all?”

“Did you really called your sister as a leech?” Seulgi asked Joohyun which made her nod quickly as a reponse. “Geez, that’s what people who are madly and deeply inlove do. Why do you always sound like you really lack in experience and romance?” 

“Excuse me Ms. Kang? We all need our personal spaces to breathe freely. Cant you see how much Lia is wrapping your sister in her arms? I’m not going to be surprise if we found Yeji brain dead once we got there.” And before Seulgi could even defend Lia. “Like this.” She said as she placed slid her arms in between her side and arms to slightly grasp her bodyguard’s elbow. “This is just right to show affection and love in public. This is already an indirect gesture to tell the public that you’re in a relationship.”

“And your husband is ok with that?”

“Ne.” Joohyun said confidently. “He always wants me to do this whenever we’re attending events.” She bragged.

“Really boring.” Seulgi said. “I wonder if your husband still feels when he sees you.”

Joohyun almost choke on her drink with her bodyguard’s remark. “Yah Ms. Kang.” She firmly called her attention. “Besides what you’ve said is nasty… you shouldn’t be wondering of that because I am his wife and feeling that towards me is just natural.” She defended her husband once again.

“Ms Bae, please don’t be offended with my words.” Seulgi kindly said. “You and your husband just doesn’t look romantic at all.” She said.

“Just.” Joohyun pursed her lips and shut her eyes to tame herself down. Her bodyguard’s remarks are being too real and she can no longer defend herself. “Just, let’s just have a quiet and peaceful travel jaebal.” 

Seulgi managed to shut since Joohyun isnt making too much remarks to their sisters as well. They arrived at the camping site that Lia reserved. Seulgi managed to parked the van 20 steps away from the lake and everyone except Joohyun who was asked by Yeji to take a sit are preparing the area. 

Lia and Yeji managed to unfold the tables outside the van while Seulgi is currently setting up the tent on the deck beside their van. Yeji almost over soaked the bag of tea that she was about to offer at Joohyun since she sas pre occupied with her girlfriend’s older sister who’s observing her sister from a distant. 

Her eyes are shining as if its glued to no one but Seulgi. She holds her lips not to smile while staring at her. “Joohyun unnie.” It was her third time calling her name and she’s still not paying attention. Too bad that when she finally decided to approach her Joohyun just strengthen hee thoughts as Yeji confirmed to herself that she’s really looking at Seulgi.

“Yah.” Lia raised her voice to Joohyun which immediately made her come back to her senses and what made her surprise is Yeji is just standing beside her. “Aren’t you going to take the cup of tea that she made for you?”

Joohyun smiled at Yeji and took the tea. Raising it slightly to tell her younger sister that she already took it. “How about telling yourself that I am your older sister before you raise your voice at me!” Joohyun faced Yeji again and thanked her for the cup of tea. “Gumawo Yeji.”

Lia rolled her eyes and continued to unpack the foods on the table. Yeji started to make a bonfire  surrounded by chairs so they could roast some marshmallows and chocolates for later. Seulgi finally succeed to stand the tent and Lia immediately placed some comforter and pillows inside. 

Since Joohyun could notice that she’s the only one who’s not helping, she decided to be busy at the table side where the foods are. “I am going to prepare our food.” Joohyun volunteered. 

“Kamsamnida unnie.” Yeji bowed at her and thanked her, Seulgi raised her thumbs on her and Lia just rolled her eyes again on her sister. 

Unpacking the sliced tofu, Joohyun placed it at the sit of the wide pot over the noodles that sh initially placed. She sliced two whole spams and placed it opposite to the tofu neatly. She scoup some kimchi and placed it at the middle of the pot, sprinkle some generous amount of hot pepper flakes and melting red bean paste in a cup of water for the soup. Lastly she placed some chopped green onions over the stew. “The kimchi stew is ready.” She informed everyone. 

Everyone gathered and took a seat on the long table. Salivating at the juicy beef that Yeji is grilling for them and the colorful and tasty side dish that the couple prepared. Joohyun already jugged in the stew and have herself some of the spicy bean sprouts. “Daebak. Who prepared the side dish? They’re great.” She compliments it. 

“We prepared it unnie.” Yeji proudly said and handed everyone a plate of the beef that she cooked. “Please it a lot.” 

“I didn’t know that Lia could cook.” Joohyun said indirectly telling everyone that she doubted her younger sister helped with the food preparation. “I am still wondering… what did you like about my sister? There’s nothing good at her anyway.”

Seulgi and Yeji laughed at Joohyun’s joke but Lia hated it. She slightly kicked her sister under the table and ever since she came with them she has been ruining her night and she’s just enduring it for Yeji snd Seulgi. “See? She just kicked me under the table.” Joohyun gritted her teeth to her younger sister. “How could younstay with someone who is rude snd disresoectful?” 

“Well to answer your question…” yeji said and lia made a worried exoression. “I think if you really do love someone,  you cant really have any reason at all.” She said. “When she confessed her feelings to me I just had s vision of us being still together in more than 10years.” 

Lia smiled and blushed and sticked out her tongue when she meets Joohyun’s eyes. “See? What about you why do you love Suho oppa?” She asked her sister frankly.

Joohyun took minutes to answer but she still managed to gave her reasons. “He’s handsome, he’s neat, he has excellent credentials…” 

“Guess you fell in love in his physical features.” Lia said as she sarcastically smiled. “Your reasons will only last for a couple or years the following years are dealing with some arguments, disagreemnts and more.”

“Maybe we will never get to that point because we’re a perfect couple.” Joohyun bragged confidently.

“Unnie, arguments and fighting are just normal for couples. It makes your relationship grow, stronger, longer smd better.” Lia said before she feed Yeji a lettuce wrap.

Lia’s remakes isnt different from Seulgi and it made Joohyun into deep thoughts again. She realized they never fought because she always defend herself to her husband. She doesn’t want him to feel offended nor feel bad at all. She leaned on her seat as if she detached herself from their conversation.

Yeji felt like Joohyun couldn’t relate at all and she respects her way of showing affection and her way of understanding in love. So instead of putting her in the hot seat she decided to do the same to her older sister to make it fair. “What about you Seulgi unnie? Why did you love Joy unnie?” 

Seulgi narrowed her eyes to her younger sister and placed the wrapped meat on her plate. Its not that she hates to be asked but its too obvious that Yeji is just saving Joohyun from answering questions that she finds difficult to answer. 

“Joy?” Lia moved her head sideways, “Your ex girlfriend’s name is Joy? She share the same name with unnie’s bestfriend.” Lia said.

“She’s not my bestfriend.” Joohyun clarified.

“She just doesn’t share the same name. Ms. Bae’s ex bestfriend is really my ex girlfriend.” Seulgi admit.

Lia almost choke on her food when she heard Seulgi. “You were in a relationship with Mr. Yook’s wife?”

“Before.” Yeji nods.

Joohyun has been dying to know their story. Why did they end their relationship and why didn’t it work even if it is too obvious that Joy still loves her and really do care for her a lot. She looked at Seulgi who’s eyes are glued to her can of beer. Rolling it to the tips of her finger as she thinks of an answer to Yeji’s question.

“To tell you honestly…” seulgi said and paused after gulping half of the can of beer. “I also don’t have the reason as well but among the girls that I dated she’s the only woman that I foresee my future with, I shared my plans with and shared my life with.” She pursed her lips. 

“And why did you guys broke up?” Lia asked out pf curiousity.

Joohyun gulped the whole can of beer. She’s going to get the answer that she’s dying to know. She moved her trunk away from ghe back rest of the seat and placed both of her elbows on the table. Looking at Seulgi sharply and her ears are twitching involuntarily and are very eager to hear Seulgi.

“She confessed that she’s pregnant on our anniversary.” Seulgi sighs. “That’s when I found out that she’s already engaged while we’re still together.” Seulgi smiled out as she reminisce the pain.

Joohyun slammed the table with her bare hands and she startled everyone. “Did that really do that to you?” She asked her bodyguard, worriedly as she felt really sorry. She could really feel the pain by just looking in her eyes,

“She’s an .” Lia muttered. 

“She realy is!” Joohyun exclaimed as she stood up from her seat folding her arms out of anger. “So that could be yhe reason why it took so long for her to get married to Sungjae. She has been delaying it for so long.” 

“Joy unnie is disgusting.” Lia said and for once, The two sisters agreed for the first time.

“Calm down and please take your seat Joohyun unnie.” Yeji said and when Joohyun obeyed. She added another question again. “I don’t wat to go on the details of your love story but have you already moved on?” 

Joohyun suddenly became quiet. The kiss on her lips and the her lips on her neck popped again on her mind. Slowly diverting her eyeballs to Seulgi she realized she will feel hurt if she answers no.

Finishing her can of beer. She slam the of the can not out of anger but out of confudence. Seulgi nods and shake her head at the same time. “I think its too early to move on.” She said. “But I already forgive her.” She smiled “I know she’s going to be a good mother to her son.” She sighs. “Maybe I am still in the healing phase. I already accepted the fact that her and I are impossible to be together and seeing her happy from afar and even if I am no longer the cause of her happiness… I no longer have hard feelings for her.” Seulgi said. 

“Andwe… you all have the right to get mad at her and curse her for the rest of your life.” Joohyun immediately said. “Forgiving her with her mistake shouldn’t be that easy!” 

“Maja!” Lia said in chorus. “You should pray that she should feel th same pain you’re feeling right now.” 

Seulgi smiled at them. “Well I know if she only have a choice she wouldn’t do that. She just choose to hurt me because she doesn’t want to lose me.” 

Joohyun is just too disgusted to see Seulgi smiling and knowing that she hurt her really bad and hearing her defending Joy and giving her compliments made her feel frustrated but more than that she couldn’t deny that she’s jealous. “I cant handle the compliments that evil woman is receiving right now. This camping is boring and a mess.” She said and she walked out from the table even if she havent finished her food yet.

Marching inside the camping van, she went straight to the bedroom, slammed the door and hit the pillows out of anger. “Why do she sounds like she adores her so much?” She gritted her teeth.

“Lia, you can’t join us grilling these marshmallows if you fail to bring your sister here.” Seulgi said and Yeji just gestured her for good luck. 

“Unnie, I really don’t have to do that. She really is just too angry to Joy unnie. They don’t get along when ever since she got married.”

“You heard me.” Seulgi said and winked at her.

While waiting for Lia and Joohyun, Seulgi added some woods to the bonfire and Yeji placed the marshmallows and sweet skewers beside them. “Unnie.” Yeji said as soon as she placed the plate and took a sit.

“If you’re going to apologize about opening up about Joy don’t be.” Seulgi said as she caress her sister’s hair.

“Of course I know that.” Yeji said and faked a smile. “Unnie, I think I’m already an adult to tell you this..”

Suddenly Seulgi felt that their conversation is going to be too serious. Yeji looked away from her and she cant find the courage to look into her older sister’s eyes. “Go on. Say it.” 

“Will you please…” she started to tear up. “For once, make yourself happy? Don’t ever put yourself into a situation where you know its gonna hurt you from the start.”

Wondering why her younger sister is being too emotional, Seulgi tilt her head as if finding out what made Yeji say those words. “Yeji, I don’t get it, where do all these things are coming from?”

“Joohyun unnie.” She finally looked at her older sister eyes. “She’s married. Don’t put yourself into same situation again.”

Seulgi suddenly looked away. She knew to herself that there’s something going on between her and her boss and she was surprised that Yeji was able to notice that. “Yeji there’s nothing to worry about. Ms. Bae is my boss nothing more nothing less.” She denied trying her best to wash away her younger sister’s tears.

Yeji smiled. “Unnie I told you I am no longer a kid.” Yeji said. “From the way I saw her stealing glances on you to the point she walked out listening to you still admiring Joy unnie. I know deep inside her she feels something special on you.” 

Seulgi caress her nape. She didn’t knew that her younger sister could be so observant that she was able to to notice something she didn’t. If there’s one thing that hurts Seulgi a lot, it’s her when she’s crying. When they were young when she threw tantrums her crying was merely tolerable in her ears but now that she’s grown up she could really feel every tears and sniffs in her heart and it pains her.

Yeji moved her face closer to her older sister so she could meet her eyes closely. “Unnie, I saw how much you suffer from Joy unnie. You hide the pain and hold the tears when I am around.” She said between her gulps. “And I don’t want to see you in that state again. Joohyun unnie is already married. She has an image to maintain and if what I think is right, its impossible for her to choose you once she gets into the time that she has to choose.”

“Yeji,.. of course I know that. I don’t have any expectation to Ms. Bae.” 

“If its usual for her to sit in the front seat with you, tell her that she shouldn’t. If she tries to get closer to you please ask her to move at least 3-5 steps away from you. If she worries if you have eaten already tell her its not her concern. That’s how you maintain a boss and bodyguard relationship.” Yeji explained. “I wish I am powerful enough to protect you from these things but I am not yet.” 

Seulgi nod her head and wrapped her arm around Yeji’s shoulder. “I promise that I will protect myself from physical and emtoional pain so you don’t have to worry or protect me at all.” Seulgi taps her shoulder. “Please study hard for you and Lia, don’t think about me.” 

“Unnie, jaebal. I know that I am younger than you but for all the sacrfices you did for me, you deserved to be happy.” Yeji said and she gave her sister a thight hug.

On the other hand Lia is trying so hard to pull Joohyun’s hand out of the small bedroom inside the camping van. “Stop pissing me unnie. I should be outside leaning at Yeji’s shoulder and enjoying the bonfire with Seulgi unnie but you ruined it.”

“Ah molasseo! This is the most annoying and boring camping that I had.” Joohyun complained pulling her hands away from Lia.

“Ah jinja! You’ve been ruining our camping ever since you decided to come with us!” Lia complained back. “And now I have to sleep with you instead with Yeji.”

“Well just to tell you this is the most thing I regret in my life. I shouldn’t have come with you. You guys are all dramatic creatures.” She rolled her eyes to her sister. “And if you want this room then sleep with Yeji then. I’ll just sleep with Ms. Kang at the tent.” She said as if it was a slip of a tongue.

“Wait what?” Lia asked her sister if she heard that right. “You’re going to sleep with Seulgi unnie at the tent?”

“No what I mean was…” Joohyun said as she raise herself from the bed. Clearing she couldn’t figure out how she will clear her statement.

“Joohyun unnie… are you eyeing Seulgi unnie?” She asked her sister frankly

“What?!” Joohyun pretended ro be surprised.”of course not. What I mean was i’ll sleep inside the tent and she will stay outside to look afterme.”

Lia was comvinced that was her older sister’s meant. “Geez are you a teenager? Seulgi unnie will drive for tomorrow and she needs a complete and comfortable sleep.” 

“Alright. Fine fine!” Joohyun said. “I badly want some sweets. This is so stressful.” Joohyun added as she intentionally bumped her annoying younger sister and walked out from the van. 

She found Seulgi and Yeji casually grilling some marshmallows and sweets at the bonfire and before she could step closer to Seulgi, Yeji handed ber a skewer and took the seat in front of Seulgi. She politely took the skewer and automatically sit next to her bodyguard. 

“Omo Babe kwenchana? Did you cry?” Lia asked as she could notice that her girlfriend’s eyes are slightly swollen. 

Yeji smiled and so her eyes too. “It’s the fire. The smoke made my eye teary.” Yeji reasoned out. Lia went back to the van to get some blankets and Yeji found Joohyun’s marshmallows slightly burned since she’s holding it too close to the bonfire snd she didn’t notice it because she’s busy taking glances to Seulgi. “Unnie.. your marshmallow is completely melting.” She told Joohyun.

Joohyun was shock to see the marhsmallow dripping on the ground. “Ah mian.. I wasn’t able to notice.”

“Kwenchana. Just pay attention more or else you might burn your hands too.” Yeji said as she handed another skewer to Joohyun.

They spend the hour playing games, chatting and munching some marshmallows and as the time passes by, Joohyun couldn’t help but to feel uneasy. She could feel that Seulgi acts differently. She couldn’t catch her eye nor make at least 2-3 seconds eye contact with her. She talks to her in a respectful manner and she would make her feel that she’s not in the group at all. 

Its already passed midnight when they decided to sleep. Lia has no choice but to sleep with her sister inside the camping van and Yeji will be sleeping with Seulgi insie the tent. After giving Yeji a good night kiss, Lia headed the way to the camping van and Joohyun followed her. Joohyun made sure to take a glance at her bodyguard who’s busy putting out the fire before she could completely get inside the van.

Half an hour after both of them lay on their beds, The rain started to pour and the thunder started to growl. Joohyun reflexively flinch and emrbaced her younger sister who tried to push Joohyun away from her. “Yah this is so cringy. Get away from me.” 

“You’ve been so busy with your girlfriend. Did you forget that I am scare of the thunder?” Joohyun askedher sister.

“Ah jinja this is so frustrating. I badly wanted to embrace Yeji in this cold weather.” She complained. “Aish jinja why did you come with us?!” She scold her sister.

“Yah be thankful that Yeji is with her older sister at least she wont get scared of the rain and the thunder since Ms. Kang is with her.”

“What? Excuse me. Yeji isn’t as coward as you.” Lia said. “She’s not scared of stupid rain and thunder. She’s scared to lose me.” She confidently said.

“So Yeji do not ask you to hold her hand when it rains?” Joohyun asked her sister.

“No.”

Joohyun smiled biting her lips. Recalling how her bodyguard held her hand to keep her fears away on their way back to Seoul. She doesn’t know but she really finds her cute that she used her younger sister as an alibi just so she could hold her hand tightly.