ch16

What Could've Been
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
What Could’ve Been

CHAPTER 15

            The fragrant aroma of chamomile tea emitted from the veranda of the Hirai household. Seated in one of the chairs was Momo, a book in hand. An unfinished cinnamon bun sat on the plate next to her teacup. It was the perfect weather for reading – it was cloudy, but the right amount of sunshine still bled through the thick feathers of the sky.

            A slight breeze of wind could be felt, carrying the freshness of the greenery behind the residence. The Hirai household sat in front of a large stretch of flower fields and forestry. It was somber, especially when it wasn’t a busy day for the family.

            “How’s my darling dearest?” A deep, masculine voice spoke from behind Momo. It was Mr. Hirai, body leaning against the doors leading back inside the living room. The girl’s eyes shifted away from the book to glance at her father. “Morning,” She greeted in a soft morning voice. Another breeze of wind passed through them, blowing away strands of Momo’s hair.

            Mr. Hirai looked at his daughter and approached her. His bulky yet gentle hand neared Momo’s face, his fingers tucking away the stray strands of her behind Momo’s ear. “You’re always such a pretty angel,” her father teased and chuckled as he sees the cringe that seeped out from the girl’s expression. It was promptly followed by a gentle slap on the arm. A flush of red tinted Momo’s cheeks.

            “You hit me but I know you still like being called my angel.” Mr. Hirai patted her head, as if it was still years ago. Momo was always treated like a baby, and she secretly liked that her father still pets her head and rubs her back for comfort. At the end of the day, nothing was better than her father’s gentle words and warm reassurance.

            “Shut up, Dad.” Momo looked away shyly and closed her book, resting it on her lap. Her father sat down at the chair next to her and sighed as they looked out into the distant trees and shrubbery. “How are you holding up?”

            Momo hummed. She knew what her father was talking about. It had been an entire day since she came home and decided to take a step away from Dahyun. She was coping pretty well, but she was relatively silent compared to her usual energetic self. All she’s been doing is pondering over things, swimming in her deep pool of unspoken thoughts. “I’ve been okay.” She responded in a soft voice.

            “Me and your mom are here for you, okay?” Mr. Hirai said, taking his daughter’s hand and giving it a soft kiss on the back. He used to do this a lot to Momo when she was a kid, and he never failed to make the girl feel like a princess. Momo smiled at her father and nodded, grinning. “Thank you.”

.

.

.

.

.

            Back in the condo unit, Dahyun wakes up to an empty bed, once again. Not like she was expecting someone to be next to her, but it felt bizarre. Homesickness was starting to wash over her. Just then, her phone rings.

            “Our flight’s in three hours. Do you need anything from your room?” Her sister’s familiar and demanding voice rang through the phone.

            “Good Morning.” Dahyun groaned and sat up, flipping the covers off of her and swinging her legs over the edge before she puts on her soft fur indoor slippers.

            “You’re still asleep?!” Chaeyoung said in disbelief. Dahyun sighs and pulls her phone slightly away from her ear as she hears the younger girl scream into the microphone. “I don’t need anything in particular, maybe bring me more of my clothes if you can still fit some in your luggage.”

            “Will you pick us up?”

            “…I’ll see.” Dahyun responds after a few seconds. She never thought about how she could possibly pick them up from the airport. She was as foreign as she was in the country as them, and it’s not like she has access to transportation. Should I ask Momo?...

            “I’ll see you soon, !” Chaeyoung said mockingly. Dahyun palms her face. “How very mature of you.”

            “Hehe,” the younger girl simply giggles before she drops the call. Dahyun takes her phone away from her ear and looks at it in front of her. She tapped the contact list and filtered through the names. She sees Momo’s contact and taps it. Her thumb looms over the call button.

            Should I really?

            No.

            I’m independent

            I can do this.

            Instead of pressing the green button, she swipes home and starts to search up transportation she can take to the airport. Anxiety and fear covers her mind. She was going to have to try to communicate with the locals without knowing much Japanese, and she had to navigate through the unfamiliar streets of Osaka. It didn’t sound pleasant at all.

            She breathes in and sighs out heavily. She has to be able to do this, she has no choice. She doesn’t want to bother Momo. But there’s Sana…

            The thought of the woman crossed her mind.  She shakes her head to rid of the thought right away. She has to learn how to be independent. “Argh! Why do I have to stay here?!” Dahyun yells out in frustration, falling back to the bed with her legs hanging over the edge. Rays of sunlight touched her face through the blades of the blinds.

            That’s right, Momo didn’t want you to leave.

            “Why?” She talks to herself.

            I don’t know.

            “I don’t know, either.”

            She brings her phone up in front of her face and looks at the time. She’ll have to start preparing soon if she was to make it to the airport in time. Not to mention the extra time she’ll consume trying to pick up her directions. Sitting back up, she puts her hands on top of her head in panic.

.

.

.

.

.

            Glasses clink in Jeongyeon’s bar as she wipes the wares with a clean white towel. She wasn’t going to open until later afternoon, but she had scheduled her cleaning day today. It was relatively quiet outside and the chairs were stacked neatly. The bar stools faced the bar, uniformly arranged.

            Jeongyeon wipes down the last glass and puts it along with the others, washing her hands and wiping it down dry. She pulls out the drawer below the cashier and reaches for a logbook and a clipboard inside it. She grabs the pen from beside the counter and made her way around the bar, sitting down on a bar stool.

            She grabs the coffee mug from across the bar from earlier and takes a sip from it. The hot liquid washed through , providing her a sense of warmth and relief.

            The snow outside was almost fully thawed, but the cold still stays around. Albeit not being as cold as the peak of winter, it was enough of a breeze to make her shiver from inside the bar.

            She picks up the pen and opens the books, sorting through the sales and stock record. She hears the throttle of a car from outside. Must just be cars passing by. Jeongyeon brushes it off. She wasn’t in a busy part of town, especially in the daytime. Moreover, not many vehicles pass by the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter