ch02

What Could've Been
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
What Could’ve Been

CHAPTER 2

            “Dad.” Momo greeted after she picked up the call.

            “You’re back.” A deep voice was heard from the other end of the call. It wasn’t scary at all, instead, it was warm and comforting. The voice of a father who truly loved their child. “I am.” Momo answered and puffed her bangs, blowing them to the side while she sat down on the side on the bed. “We missed you, dear.” A feminine voice shouted from a distance to the phone. In turn, Momo’s father chuckled adorably.

            “What’s your plan, sweetie?” The father inquired. Momo was speechless for a few moments. A plan. She truthfully didn’t have one, but she did have one endgame. An endgame she wouldn’t give up. “Dad, what do you think about marriage?”

.

.

.

.

.

            The sky was cloudy, but a bit of sunshine still shone through. Dahyun was walking along a quiet street. She was smiling joyfully, almost skipping childishly. She reached an intersection, halting in front of a pedestrian line, when her phone chimed.

 

            As if Dahyun couldn’t get any happier, a toothy grin formed on her lips. As much as she wanted to enjoy at how adorable her girlfriend was, the stoplight dinged to imply that pedestrians were free to cross the road. Putting her phone away, she jogged across to the other side of the street. Her sneakers hit the pavement with excitement step after step.

            After less than a minute of jogging, she finally stopped in front of a small, cozy café. The lights were off and a “closed” sign was propped up against the glass door. Looking up, she read the sign perked on top of the café. JYBeans. (A/N I am so sorry I couldn’t think of aNYTHING ELSE I KnOW IT’S A BAD PUN)

            On the far right side of the café, a small path blocked by a black steel gate could be seen. After staring into the café’s windows for a few seconds, Dahyun headed to the gate while she rummaged through her bag.

            “Ah… I think I forgot it.” Dahyun groaned, spacing out while thinking. When an idea came about, she took out her phone.

            With a justifiable eyeroll and a sharp inhale, she angrily typed a reply. God, I have the best younger sister ever, she muttered under her breath sarcastically. Park Chaeyoung was her younger sister. One could say that she was a spoiled brat, if one was Kim Dahyun. They weren’t related by blood, since Dahyun was taken in by the Parks after her parents passed. As much as she didn’t want to admit it, Dahyun did love her sister, even if Chaeyoung makes her want to gouge her eyes out most of the time.

            After a few seconds, Dahyun heard footsteps heading towards her down the stone path. She put her phone away and scavenged through her bag for the bag of jellies she was saving for later.

            Hearing the sound of keys jingling, Dahyun looked up from her bag, seeing Chaeyoung walking to her in a baggy hoodie and white denim shorts. Her blonde hair flowed as the wind blew gently. “Hey.” The short girl greeted her sister. She unlocked the gate and let Dahyun step in before locking it behind them. “Why’d you forget your keys? You shouldn’t have moved in with Momo. Dad’s been a pain in the because he misses you literally 24/7.”

            Walking down the path, the older sister chuckled. “Not my fault I’m the better daughter.” Chaeyoung, in response to her playful insult, did a mocking impression of Dahyun. “Hi, I’m Dahyun, and I moved in with a girl I met at a café who apparently was loaded because she was CEO Daddy’s favorite daughter!” Dahyun stopped and turned her body to face Chaeyoung. “Low blow, Chaeyoung.” Her eyes rolled, only earning a laugh from her little sister.

            “I’m sorry!~” After Dahyun successfully ruffled her sister’s hair to get back at her, they stepped into their house situated right next to the café. “Chaeyoung, who was that?” A distant voice from another room called out as soon as the door closed. “Uncle?” Dahyun shouted in excitement and threw her shoes off, tossing her bag on the couch and running.

            “Dahyunnie? Sweetheart?!”

            Park Jinyoung turned his body to face Dahyun, who was now running to him. In excitement, he spread his arms out and catched the girl, lifting her up in a warm embrace. “I missed you so much!” He said and sniffed silently.

            “Wait, uncle, are you crying?” Dahyun hopped off of Jinyoung’s embrace and squinted her eyes. “I-I’m sorry, I j-just missed you so much, my darling daughter!” He said in such an adorable voice the girl couldn’t resist her pouts.

            “Great, and what do you call me?” Chaeyoung had a pouty duck face on while she leaned against the doorframe of the kitchen. “Chaeyoung, set the table, please!” Jinyoung wiped away his tears and dodged Chaeyoun’s question smoothly. Dahyun stuck a tongue out on her younger sister, but the shorter girl only responded by putting her palm out, implying for Dahyun to give her something.

            Dahyun groaned and trudged her way back to the living room, grabbing the pack of jellies from her bag and throwing it to Chaeyoung- throw, yes. Not toss, throw. It almost hit Chaeyoung in the face, but she caught it in time. “Not sorry.” Dahyun blurted out bluntly.

            “Yeah, I know.” Chaeyoung just smiled, having been used to their small quarrels as sisters. “So…” Dahyun threw herself on the couch, retiring after her long walk. “Momo Hirai, huh?” The blonde girl threw herself beside Dahyun, ripping open the bag of jellies and immediately popping a few pieces into .

            “Yeah, Momo.” Dahyun smiled from the thought of Momo, spacing out. The girl beside her, while enjoying her jellies, stared intently at Dahyun. It took an entire minute before she noticed her sister staring. “What are you staring at? Do I look too pretty today?” Dahyun inquired.

            “Absolutely not. I’m just not used to you being so lovey-dovey, you know, after what happened last time…” Chaeyoung’s voice faded away, careful not to mention painful details of the past to Dahyun. “You can say her name, you know.”

            “Sana. After what happened with Sana.” Chaeyoung blurted out bluntly.

            “Mhmm.” Dahyun looked up at the ceiling. She hasn’t heard that name in a long time. 2 years, if you think about it. “I really thought you two were headed for endgame. She really loved you, Dahyun.” Chaeyoung had a serious, yet careful tone. She didn’t want to end up stepping on her older sister’s emotional baggage.

            “Did she really?” A mutter came out of Dahyun’s lips.

            Chaeyoung furrowed her eyes, concluding that she shouldn’t pry this deep, especially when she’s not sure Dahyun has moved on completely yet. Chaeyoung had her doubts. Silence filled the air for a few awkward seconds, before Jinyoung’s voice called out to the both of them from the dining table. “Children, have some brunch!”

.

.

.

.

.

            “How’s the food, dear?” Jinyoung said with a bright smile. Dahyun, without even saying a word, has successfully wiped her plate clean. “I’m glad you liked it. I missed you!” He exclaimed and put down his chopsticks after eating the last piece of gimbap on his plate. Chaeyoung was right beside Dahyun, tapping away on her phone nonchalantly.

            “How’s Momo? Is she being good to you?” Dahyun chuckled. “She is, Uncle. Don’t worry.”  Jinyoung nodded slowly and sighed. Dahyun knew what her father was about to say, and pouted even before Jinyoung could say it. “You’re all grown up n-“

            “Uncle, I won’t forget about you nor will I leave you. With Chaeyoung, nonetheless.”

            “Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?!” Chaeyoung squinted her eyes and glared at her older sister. Dahyun only laughed in response. “Do you need help with the café? I’m going to visit Mommy and Daddy later tonight.” Jinyoung swallowed the food he was chewing and nodded. “Yeah, I could use your help.”

            Before Jinyoung could stand up to clean the table, Dahyun took the initiative and started stacking the dirty dishes in front of her. “You don’t have to, I’m sure you’re tired from your trip.” Jinyo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter