ch07

What Could've Been
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
What Could’ve Been

CHAPTER 7

                A bustling crowd of reporters were gathered in front of the Hirai house. The venue was generously decorated with a wide assortment of flowers, and a plaque with the words, “Annual Hirai Charity Gala 2020” engraved onto it stood beside the main door leading into the spacious lounge. Two staircases wrapped around the sides, a grand piano stood on a platform found in the middle of the room.

                “Take this to the VIP table for me, will you?” The voice of a middle-aged woman called to the maid nearest to her. The maid bowed respectfully and took the item, carrying it over to a long table in front of the platform situating the grand piano. The woman was dressed fancily. The sun was setting, orange rays passing through the see-through iridescent curtains and creating rainbows on the floor.

                “Honey?! Where are you? The guests are going to start arriving soon.” The woman called out. “Coming, honey!” A deep, manly voice responded followed by rushed footsteps coming from the right staircase. The man was built heavily and seemed intimidating wearing a suit that perfectly fit him.

                True to her words, a parade of cars pulled up in their driveway. The journalists clamored to take shots of the men and women that came out of each vehicle.

.

.

.

.

.

                Momo’s giggles echoed inside the small space of their car. Dahyun was in the passenger seat, giggling along softly to her fiancé’s jokes. “Hey, you sure you’re okay? You haven’t talked much ever since we landed.” Momo asked, noticing Dahyun’s reserved behavior. “Y-Yeah. I haven’t travelled overseas before, so maybe I’m just a bit overwhelmed.” The younger girl smiled, with a hint of guilt. Albeit her statement being truthful, it wasn’t the only reason she wasn’t feeling like herself. Sana’s eyes still burned her mind.

                Dahyun looked over to Momo. She was wearing a white tuxedo with a long tailcoat and white slacks. It fit her perfectly. On the other hand, she was put in the dress that Momo had prepared for her before. Their clothes obviously complimented each other. “Well, you’re about to meet my parents, too! I guess that’s understandable.” Momo added, grabbing Dahyun’s hand and kissing it sweetly. Oddly enough, this startled Dahyun. It was as if, suddenly, she wasn’t used to their skinship. It felt foreign.

                The file of journalists along the sidewalk indicated that they were about to enter the property. “There isn’t usually this many people here.” Momo commented, noticing that Dahyun was staring at the huge crowd with an uneasy expression. “You look perfect, don’t worry.” She added.

                This didn’t completely put Dahyun’s anxiety to rest, however. She was never used to this life. In her childhood, people barely even gave her a second glance. She was a nobody. “Are you sure you want them to see me with you?” Dahyun asked.

                This question took Momo aback. “…Of course, you’re my fiancé, the love of my life. Why wouldn’t I want them to see us together?” Her eyebrows were furrowed and her eyes displayed confusion. “A-Ah, of course. Please forget I ever asked that question.” Realizing how stupid that must’ve sounded, Dahyun retracted to her little shell even more. Momo stared at her for a brief moment before sighing silently. She tried her best to understand. Putting on a smile, Momo drove past the large gate and into the driveway. The property was astonishingly large. The garden stretched on for miles around the mansion. “You ready, angel?”

                Dahyun gulped, her nerve getting to her. She shaked it off and exhaled loudly, putting on her best smile and nodding softly. With that signal, Momo opened her door and exited the vehicle. The crowd made a noise so loud that Dahyun could hear it from inside the car. The older girl made her way to Dahyun’s side, opening the door for her. Dahyun stepped out and stood next to her fiancé. The loud voices of the journalists tore her eardrums, accompanied by the blinding camera flashes. She could barely open her eyes nor hear anything, for that matter. She was starting to freak out, when Momo’s arm wrapped around her waist. “You’re okay. I got you.” She whispered into Dahyun’s ear, attempting to calm the girl.

                Taking deep breaths, her senses calmed down and she could hear more clearly. “Momo, who is that girl?” She heard one journalist ask in a desperate shout. Momo paid no attention and worked on getting them both into the mansion. It only took a few steps before they finally crossed the threshold of the doorway. The doors closed behind them, servants bowing respectfully at the pair upon their entrance.

                “SWEETIE?! IS THAT YOU?!” The deep voice from before shouted. His voice echoed throughout the entire hall. Momo’s ears perked up and a grin started to form on her face.

                From the other end of the hall, a tall, burly man started running towards them. His expression was priceless, almost comical. Momo suddenly let go of Dahyun and ran towards the man as well. “DAD!”

                They met somewhere along the middle of the vast hallway. Momo’s father immediately hugged Momo and lifted her up in the air, with Momo riding along with it childishly. “I missed you so much, sweetie!” Her dad’s voice cracked in such a comedic time, a laugh threatened to come out of Dahyun.

                Not sure what to do, Dahyun started walking towards Momo and her father. It was a precious sight. They look like animated characters. The younger girl thought to herself. Looking at them hit a heartstring. She had a brief moment where she remembered her own father, but shrugged it off as she saw how happy her fiancé was at the moment.

                “Ehem.” A woman cleared from behind the man. Dahyun tilted her head to see behind the pair. Standing there elegantly was Mrs. Hirai, in all her glory. Her head was held high with pride. She smiled softly. “Honey, don’t be a dork in front of the guests.” She said jokingly. Mr. Hirai pouted and set Momo back down on the floor. “Hi Mom!” Momo beamed and gave her mother a kiss on the cheek. Mr. Hirai, meanwhile, was regaining his composure and patting off his expensive-looking suit.

                Dahyun stood there awkwardly as the adorable family reunited. Noticing the lonesome, uncomfortable girl, Mrs. Hirai looked at Dahyun. “Who do we have here? You’re gorgeous, little miss!” She complimented and shook Dahyun’s hand. The latter bowed respectfully as she shook the woman’s hand. “N-Nice to meet you, Mrs. Hirai.” Dahyun was evidently struggling in speaking Japanese from her stuttering. “She’s the one I was talking about on the phone…” Momo stood beside the younger girl, putting her hand on the small of her back as she looked down, blushing profusely.

                “What kind of deal did you sign to get engaged with our little monster?” Mrs. Hirai asked jokingly, giggling at her own joke. Dahyun giggled along and answered. “It’s not like that, Mrs. Hirai! If anything, I don’t get how she could’ve fallen in love with a regular girl like me.” Momo giggled and gave her fiancé an adorable kiss on the forehead.

                A few sniffs were head from behind Mrs. Hirai. Her father was getting teary-eyed. “What’s the deal, Dad?~ Why are you getting emotional?” Momo teased childishly, but her Dad giggled and wiped the tears away with the hankie that was in his pocket. “Just proud of you, my little rascal~”

                “You seem to be a nice girl. I support you both all the way. Please, feel free to start calling me mom as well.” Dahyun blushed at the request. “Thank you. If my parents were alive, I think they’d like you both very much.” Dahyun said, trying her best to put a happy tone on her voice amidst the pain it caused her to say that out loud. “I’m sorry to hear that, sweetie.” Mrs. Hirai responded in sympathy, tucking a stray hair behind the girl’s ear. A wash of concern was seen on her face. They then headed to the lounge, where the gala was being held.

                Entering the room, Dahyun was greeted by the sight of several prominent men and women. Models whose faces had been in vogue issues, business men and scientists who founded a lot of the brands that were renowned globally.

                Momo smiled at Dahyun, taking her hand to comfort her further. “Welcome to the annual Hirai Charity Gala, Dahyun.” Her mom introduced. “We hold this annually to raise funds for the scholarship programs that our group of corporations hosts. The group consist

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter