ch10

What Could've Been
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
What Could’ve Been

CHAPTER 10

            The wave of journalists from before was pushed back as Sana reunited with her mother. You could hear the wave of questions being asked out loud, some which stepped over the line of personal boundaries, but it was paparazzi. Nothing was too personal for them.

            Soon after their embrace, Mrs. Minatozaki and her darling daughter came up the steps to greet the others. They went from left to right, greeting the Myoui’s first. Dahyun was starting to get nervous, knowing she had to explain why she was even beside the Hirai family. Her deep thinking was disrupted when her fiancé held her hand tightly as Sana walked over to them. “I’m glad to see you’re back!” Momo beamed, hugging Sana with one arm after she had greeted her parents. Sana nodded and smiled softly, dissimilar from the way she smiles at Dahyun. It wasn’t as warm. The injured girl’s eyebrows furrowed, seeing Dahyun beside her best friend. The latter avoided her gaze, clenching her fist and feeling the cold metal of her engagement finger against her skin.

            “I know you’ve met, but…” Momo trailed off as she pulled away from the embrace, wrapping his arm around Dahyun’s waist. Time slowed down for the latter as her eyes met Sana’s, knowing the wave of pain that would hit the both of them in a few seconds. “Dahyun. My fiancé.”

            Sana’s voice got stuck in . She tried to gulp it down, staring at Dahyun intently. Why didn’t you tell me? She kept repeating in her head, glancing back at Momo and forcing a smile. “Nice to meet you again, Dahyun. Sorry you had to see me like that last night.” Sana’s voice was on the verge of cracking. The pain was unreal. Her first love, standing in front of her, engaged to one of the only people she trusts wholeheartedly. It broke her, but she knew she couldn’t complain. I let her go. I have no right to feel this mad.

            Meanwhile, Dahyun could already sense the emotional torment radiating from Sana’s voice. It was as if she could see how her past lover was beating herself up in her mind. She wasn’t exempt from this, either. Seeing and feeling the pain Sana was going through gave her just as much pain. “Nice to meet you.” She still replied. Sana’s gaze faltered and started avoiding her’s. It was too much for her to take, and she didn’t want to get in between a relationship. As much as the younger girl tried meeting her eyes, it was just to no avail.

            “Let’s go in? We all have to talk about something.” Momo ended, smiling at everybody and walking inside the building. Dahyun took one last glance at Sana’s back as it stepped farther away from her while they walked. She grew taller. Dahyun noticed even the smallest subtleties, the way her posture improved, and the way her back had a certain aura of control to it. Sana was slim and slender, but she was well-built. How badly she wanted to reach out, but she couldn’t. The burning reminder of her predication branded her in the form of Momo’s hand grasping hers.

            Their entire group was greeted by a line of employees, bowing in respect. Sana waved and allowed them to go about their day, which they did. It was obvious that Sana held the highest authority. Dahyun wasn’t very knowledgeable when it came to business speak, but Momo did mention that the girl owned the company. She was a prodigy, she remembered her fiancé’s words vividly. It was so different from how she saw Sana when they were together. It was as if he hid an entire persona behind all her bright smiles. It amused Dahyun, the fact that Sana had the capability to hide all of this from her.

            They rode the elevator in two groups; the parents were grouped together, while the rest of them followed. Mina, Momo, Sana, and Dahyun were inside the large elevator. It wasn’t silent, thankfully. Mina and Momo chatted while the injured girl stayed adequately silent, only replying when she was called. It wasn’t exactly new to Mina, either, so she couldn’t tell that the former was upset about something. Dahyun was new to the friend group as well, so they didn’t pay her too much attention. Only Sana and Dahyun were aware of each other’s auras. An awkward tension tethered them to each other, even if they were standing diagonally across from each other.

            It didn’t take long before the tension was severed because of the elevator bell dinging. The doors slid open, revealing the parents chattering in front of a meeting room. Eventually, they all made their way into the room and sat at respective chairs. Mrs. Minatozaki took the time to inspect Sana’s injuries closer and consult whether she wanted to go to a doctor to get them checked. Somehow, Dahyun was staring at the pair. Her mind slowly minimized to the girl, blurring away anything around her.

            Her vision cleared up on cue with Momo clearing . “I’m glad Sana’s back home, and that she’s somewhat safe.” She grinned at both of of her friends, Mina nodding in agreement and looking over at Sana, who was at the head of the table. “Thank you.” Sana said back, slightly harshness to her tone, to which nobody retorted, except for Mina. The latter observed her friend closely, seeing that Sana was staring beyond Momo, but at Dahyun’s hands on the table. Following her gaze, Dahyun’s engagement ring glimmered in the orange sunlight that hit the table. What are you thinking, Sana?

            “I’m glad to be back to work on the company. Also since Momo’s back, I’d like to celebrate that. I’m sorry I couldn’t make it to the charity gala.” Sana looked over at the Hirai’s with an apologetic expression. “It’s okay, we understand.” Mrs. Hirai stated, smiling brightly. They’re really nice. “Did you visit you father yet?” Mr. Hirai added. Sana seemed to be taken aback by the sudden question, but she regained her composure immediately after and cleared to answer. “I haven’t, but I will. Once I get the time.” Sana looked over at her mother, who smiled softly amidst the emotional baggage that hung over their back due to her father. Dahyun was out of place. Her parents are separated? She assumed. Sana barely opened up about her life and family back then. The only thing she knew was that she was from Japan. She was oblivious.

            “I was thinking of something to brighten up the atmosphere, also get some good publicity.” Momo interrupted, seemingly excited for what she was about to suggest. The entire group hummed and looked at the girl, waiting for her suggestion. “I was thinking of holding an engagement party. For Dahyun and me.” Momo grinned, glancing over at her fiancé with adoration. This shocked Dahyun, however. The girl never discussed this with her. Wait.

            “Uhm, I think it’s a b-“ Dahyun softly spoke up, before abruptly getting cut off by Sana. “I think that’s a good idea. When are we doing it?” Dahyun glanced over at the girl in shock. She couldn’t speak up after she was interrupted so suddenly, and Sana’s tone seemed to be intimidating. Sana avoided her gaze, but she knew that Sana intended to cut her off. This isn’t fair.

            “Great! In two weeks, maybe? I’ll have to talk to my angel first.” The older girl responded before she looked over to Dahyun, grabbing her hand and kissing it. The younger girl looked away, seemingly because she was blushing, but truly because she was disturbed at herself. The moment she looked away, she could sudden

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter