Comfort

Time Lapse

Dahyun eventually felt better two days after she got sick, the one day off made her feel much better. Sana wasn't able to stay home the whole time since there was an event on the school that she was teaching at. Even so, Dahyun reassured that she will be fine alone and will just spend the rest of the day in bed.

 

Those two days didn't go smoothly, though. Dahyun keeps on telling Sana about the dreams that she has been having, thinking that there wasn't a problem of doing so. Sana felt a little jealous since Dahyun keeps on talking about her dreams and about Mina herself even if she's on a sick state. She even told Sana about the time that Mina gave her a bar of chocolate and medicines the other day, and Sana just felt her jealousy level get a little higher. There were even nights that Dahyun mumbles Mina's name when she's asleep, and Sana didn't know what else to do aside from crying due to the pain that she was feeling.

 

Sana tried to understand; that all of this wasn't in Dahyun's control. That Dahyun is not the one controlling her dreams. But Sana wished that she could do something about it.

 

There were small fights during Dahyun's sick days, but Sana tried to compose herself and not get super angry because Dahyun might feel worse. She also didn't want Dahyun to feel bad over something that is barely even her fault.

 

Even with a smiley and bubbly attitude, Sana just couldn't hide the disappoinment whenever Dahyun mentions anything about her dreams, especially about Mina herself. Being a good girlfriend, she chose to just listen to what Dahyun has to say and accept everything as long as nothing gets in the way of their relationship.

 

On the other hand, Dahyun is getting a little too attached to her dreams. She has this feeling of comfort and safety whenever she dreams about Mina. It's like her dreams has happened before. Maybe Nayeon was right about the past life thing.

 

Going back to the present; the day is finally coming to an end and coldness of the rainy night started to enter Korea.

 

Most of the employees already left the building, but Nayeon, Momo, Mina and Dahyun were just standing outside—waiting for the rain to subside.

 

"We'll be going now, are the two of you going to be fine?" Nayeon asked while opening her umbrella and getting under it with Momo.

 

"Yep, Sana will be here soon" Dahyun answered with a quick reassuring smile.

 

"How about you, Mina?" Momo asked

 

Mina showed a small smile. "I'll be fine" she answered shortly.

 

Nayeon and Momo bid their good byes to the two girls before running though the rain with puddles splashing everywhere, heading to the car parked near the building that they just booked through uber as a ride home since they live on the same condo.

 

Dahyun and Mina were left behind. The lights of the building is starting to dim because most of the people who work there has already left.

 

"I think you should bring your car all the time" Dahyun suddenly said while staring somewhere far.

 

Mina looked up and raised her hand, capturing the raindrops on her palm. "I guess I should" she answered with her sweet voice. A thought has suddenly popped up into her mind. She retreated her hand back and tried to organize the right words before she actually talked.

 

"I didn't know that you have a girlfriend" Mina said, mentally slapping herself with her choice of words. She thought that Dahyun might misunderstand her or something.

 

"Yeah" Dahyun answered shortly, not knowing what else to say; especially when they weren't really okay this past few days.

 

But while Dahyun was trying to figure out what else to say, a familiar figure was seen from far away and it shouted her name throughout the loud noise by the rain.

 

"That must be her" Mina said with a smile. "She's so pretty" she added.

 

Dahyun nodded and smiled as well. "Yep" she said shortly again.

 

Sana started to cross the road and pick up Dahyun from where she was standing, but before she did, Dahyun told Mina that she has to go then she suddenly ran through the rain, leaving Mina alone. "Just stay there" she shouted. It brought a surprise to the two girls—Sana and Mina. Both of them had their eyes widened in surprise, Mina even tried to reach out to Dahyun and pull her back because she'll get wet by the rain. But it's too late now.

 

"Hi" she said cutely once she reached Sana who was just standing with their umbrella in surprise.

 

Sana playfully hit Dahyun's forehead with the tip of her fingers. "Yah, you just got better. Why did you ran through the rain?" she said.

 

Dahyun brushed her forehead, acting that Sana hit her hard–which she didn't. "Let's go home" she said before showing a cute smile, Sana's heart just melted and it almost seemed like she forgot about the fights that they recently had.

 

The two started walking in the rain together side by side under an umbrella with a lollipop swirl as design on the top, it was Dahyun's gift to Sana when they were still in college. The walk was quiet at first, then Sana decided to break the silence.

 

"So, how was your day?" Sana asked.

 

Dahyun hummed shortly, thinking back to how the day went. 

 

It was just the same, old, busy working day. She was mostly glued to her seat and her hands busy with the paperworks. She spent lunch with Nayeon, Momo, and Mina; as usual.

 

"Oh, and she is from Japan too!" Dahyun said rather excitedly after telling Sana about some parts of her day.

 

Sana felt her heart broke once again, and it even stopped her from walking. Dahyun looked beside her and noticed Sana's blank face and her eyes staring somewhere. "Do you really have to mention her everytime you open your mouth?" she suddenly said, still staring ahead. She couldn't take it anymore.

 

"What?" Dahyun asked, not knowing why Sana is acting this way in all of a sudden.

 

"Mina" Sana answered, failing to hide the pain on the tone of her voice. "Mina, Mina, Mina. All you talk about is Mina. All you think about is Mina" she added, her voice cracked as she speak.

 

"Sana, I–" Dahyun's words were cut when Sana looked at her with tears forming in her eyes.

 

"You even said that it seems like she's someone special from your past life. Why do you believe in such bull?" she said, her voice getting a little louder. Dahyun stepped back a little, feeling a little afraid of this side of Sana that she have never seen before. "Why are you holding on to your dream so much? Why do you keep on believing like your dream is telling you something that you have to know?" 

 

"I'm not—" Dahyun's words were cut again.

 

"Do you still love me?" Sana asked, a tear finally fell on the right side of her face. Dahyun's heart broke. 

 

Dahyun grabbed both of Sana's arms and gave them a gentle squeeze. "Why are you even asking that? Of course, I love you" she answered, giving Sana a little hint of hope.

 

"But do you like her?" Sana asked again, which was out of the blue.

 

Dahyun flinched, and Sana felt that on her skin. Dahyun never thought about of liking Mina. All that she knows is that she's growing a little fond of her as each day passes. What Dahyun didn't know to herself is that she is indeed getting a little too attached on her dreams. Maybe it's not her fault; maybe it's not her fault that she's having a familiar feeling towards Mina. Comfort? Maybe. Safety? Perhaps so. Does Dahyun like her? Well, maybe? But her feelings are not that deep, that's for sure.

 

Sana grabbed Dahyun's hand that was holding her arms to let go of the soft grip. Another tear fell down from her eyes as she smiled sadly. "Let's take a break until you stop having dreams about her, shall we?" she said, the painful smile on her face never left. "Or maybe until you stop depending on your dreams" she added before walking away, not even letting Dahyun talk.

 

Dahyun was standing alone on the rain; her hair, shoes, clothes and bag getting soaked while she watch Sana walk away from her. "Sana, wait" she called out. Sana turned around to look at her with her bloodshot eyes. She waited for Dahyun to say something, but Dahyun didn't let out a single word–not even a sound. She didn't know what to say, it probably occurred to her that everything that Sana has said is right; that she was believing and depending on her dreams too much.

 

Sana beamed another sad smile before continuing on walking while Dahyun watched quietly from behind. Once Sana disappeared from her sight, she felt her legs weaken and it made her sit on the stone pavements. Dahyun hugged her legs close to her chest and buried her face between them as she cried and curse herself continuously.

 

All she could think about that everything is her fault; she even thought having those dreams is her fault.

 

Dahyun stayed under the pouring rain for quite a while, crying alone as the rain continue to drench her whole existence. In all of the sudden, the rain stopped. But the sound of the rain could still be heard. Dahyun looked ahead and saw that it was indeed still raining, except on her spot. She looked to her left and saw white shoes that is currently all soaked and muddy due to the rain. She knows the owner of this shoes.

 

The person wearing the ruined white shoes sat down and the umbrella that they were holding almost completely covered her and Dahyun.

 

"I thought you didn't have an umbrella" Dahyun said while wiping her tears. 

 

The person offered her a pink handkerchief for Dahyun to use on wiping her tears. "I bought one on the convenience store. Just take this and let's bring you home before you get sick again" Mina said with a smile that never fails to comfort Dahyun.