The Team Building: Part 4

Time Lapse

It was their first and last night on this place; and for the nth time, Dahyun shifted her position on the bed. She's been having a hard time sleeping, maybe because of the nap that she took earlier. Her other roommates are already asleep since a few hours ago—according to her senses, that is. 

After a few more uncomfortable shifting on the bed, Dahyun finally decided to sit up—but not knowing what to do yet. She grabbed her phone to check the time, and it says that it's already 2 in the morning. She didn't even realize that she's been struggling for quite a few hours now. 

 

Inside the room was three beds—one king-sized shared by Nayeon and Momo, and two separate beds for her and Mina to use alone. Dahyun looked over to NaMo's bed and saw that the two girls are sleeping soundly. They fell asleep without any troubles because they have been participating on a lot of activities throughout the day, and she feels slightly jealous about that. After looking to their direction, she looked over to Mina's bed. And to her surprise, Mina wasn't there. The emptiness of the bed made her feel a little bit worried about the latter. She pushed her blanket down to her feet and helped herself to stand up. Dahyun then bent down to pick up her slippers as she tiptoes her way out of the room, keeping the silence so that there won't be any unnecessary noise that might wake the two girls up.

 

After closing their bedroom door behind her, Dahyun placed her slippers back on the ground to put them on so she can proceed to look for Mina.

 

"Where could she be?" Dahyun asked herself. Their villa's living room was dark and empty, so she checked the other rooms inside. Nothing. No trace of Mina and whatsoever. After confirming that Mina wasn't anywhere inside their villa, Dahyun decided to go outside.

 

From a distance, she saw this familiar silhouette walking alone by the seashore. She observed how her long hair was blown by the wind, and she watched the figure sit down on something that seems to be a chopped tree log laying down on the sand. By the way the silhouette's hair got flown by the wind already confirmed that it was the person that Dahyun was looking for. After all those countless dreams, she already memorized how her hair gets flown by the wind, and it is still breathtaking every time.

 

Without even thinking about it, Dahyun walked automatically to Mina's direction. As she got closer and closer to the shore, Mina's perfect figure is becoming more and more clearer. She was wearing an over-sized blue shirt paired with pajama shorts that disappears every time she sits down. Dahyun is even wondering how and why is Mina not feeling cold.

 

On the other point of view, Mina could hear foot steps against the sand from behind her. She didn't even turn around to check who it is, but she's silently hoping that it was someone that has been on her mind for quite a while.

 

"Hey" the voice from behind her said. A relieved smile was painted on Mina's face when she heard the voice of the person that she has been thinking about lately. 

Mina finally turned around when she was called, and Dahyun's face was seen underneath the bright moon light. She wasn't smiling due to concern, which brought a little disappointment to Mina. "What are you doing here alone?" Dahyun asked before walking on the other side of the log and settling herself down, a few meters away from Mina.

 

"Couldn't sleep" Mina answered shortly as she looks at the peaceful ocean. Since it wasn't a windy night, there wasn't any waves coming from the ocean. It was sad though, because Mina always loved the sound of the waves. But she wasn't complaining a the same time. The peacefulness of this place brought calmness inside her and it leaves her alone with her thoughts. "How about you? What woke you up?" she added.

 

Dahyun was also looking at the direction that Mina has her eyes on. She wondered once again; what's on the other end of this beach? Is there another island where two people are sitting by the shore together? 

 

"Nothing" Dahyun answered before looking up to the sky. Compared to her recent dream, the sky wasn't entirely filled with stars tonight. There are a few, and almost all of them has a far distance away from each other. "I couldn't sleep too" she added as she put her eyes on each star that she could see, trying to count them even if it's something that she doesn't really do.

 

Silence.

 

Silence filled the gloomy air. There wasn't any waves that could take over the words that they wanted to say to each other, and they started to feel a little pressured by it. At this very moment, both of them were anticipating for something. Something that they didn't even know.

 

"Uh...Mina?" Dahyun said, breaking the suffocating silence. Mina looked at her while she still has her eyes locked up in the sky. "I'm sorry for ruining your day." she said, an obvious feeling of guilt can be felt as she talked, and it made Mina feel uneasy.

 

"You didn't ruin my day, why are you saying that?" Mina answered, scooting a little closer to Dahyun's side.

Dahyun could feel her nervousness coming up for the countless time today. Every inch that Mina consumed made her heart rate go faster. And when Mina placed her head on her shoulder, she felt like her heart has stopped functioning.

 

Wind. Where did the wind go? Is Dahyun even breathing? 

 

"How's your hand?" Mina asked when Dahyun stayed silent after she sat closer to her. Mina grabbed her small injured hand that wasn't wrapped in cloth bandage to examine it. With the darkness of the night, Mina wasn't able to see the scars fully. Deep inside, she wished that it would just disappear through the dark.

 

"Better, I guess" Dahyun answers while Mina's slender fingers traced along her soft palm. The little gesture was surprisingly sweet, and Dahyun doesn't even mind if Mina holds her hand for eternity. The way Mina touched her hand felt so familiar, as if she could remember the way her their hands touched on her dreams. "How could you still act so caring towards me even if I wasted most of your time today?" she asked, which made Mina let go of her small hand.

 

Mina lifted her head to look directly at Dahyun who was trying her best to avoid any eye contact. Dahyun was blushing, and she was thankful that the darkness of the night was there to help her hide her heating face.

 

"You missed a lot of activities today. It was supposed to be your first memory on this job, but I have taken it all away from you. You were even excited for this day." Dahyun said continously, not failing to remember how Mina looked forward to this day. She can even recall Mina's bright and excited face when she was showing pictures of the place to Nayeon and Momo when they ate lunch outside together. She remembered how the three of them talked about different plans for today such as sneaking outside to have a bonfire exclusively for the four of them. But all of those plans were brushed away when Dahyun's little hand got cuts from the thick rope from earlier. She just couldn't help but feel sorry.

 

Mina looked down to her feet while she buries them in the sand with a little smile on her face. "Stop overthinking about it too much" she said, the sound of crackling sand played along with her sweet voice. "I like spending time with you" she whispered softly, making Dahyun's heart flutter. She could feel the sincerity from Mina's voice, and it brought a sense of reassurance to her.

 

Dahyun looked down as well and buried her feet in the sand just like what Mina did, and it made the latter let out a cute little giggle. They exchanged smiles before letting the silence take over again.

 

"Mina" Dahyun called out, Mina hummed in response without looking beside her. "I've been dreaming about you" she said, Mina finally looked at her this time. "A lot" she added. 

 

Dahyun felt that this was the perfect place and the perfect timing to tell Mina that she has been dreaming about her. She didn't know what pushed her to do so, but the atmosphere just brought this feeling to her. Maybe she got carried away. Maybe she couldn't keep it to herself anymore.

 

"Really? What kind of dreams?" Mina asked. Dahyun mentally sighed in relief. She was thankful that Mina didn't act like she was weird for what she said. She was expecting a different reaction from the latter, but she was genuinely relieved when Mina acted cool about it. 

 

"We were...together" Dahyun whispered shyly as she tried to bury her feet in the sand even more.

 

"That's cute" Mina said, which surprised Dahyun.

 

With that statement, she looked at Mina in full shock, which confused the latter. "It's not weird for you?" she asked.

 

Mina shrugged before kicking up her feet, sand flying almost everywhere. "Why would it be?" she said as she stood up to stretch her whole body as if she was sitting there for hours. "I think we should head back, we need to get up early later" she said before offering her hand for Dahyun to grab.

 

The smaller girl was confused at first for she stared at the hand in front of her for a few seconds before actually grabbing it and helped herself up to stand up as well. And when she stood up, Mina planted a quick kiss on Dahyun's soft cheek.

 

"Tell me more about your dreams next time" Mina said, before starting to walk her way back to their villa

 

leaving the confused little tofu who has her eyes widened with what just happened.