[ ♡ ] 002.

Egos & Preconceptions.

The night ended and the Bae sisters had returned home at almost midnight. They had spent time talking to Sooyoung and Junmyeon – well, mostly Miyoung – while Joohyun danced the night away with Sehun. They hadn’t realized how long the event had gone on that when they were home, they immediately departed to their rooms to remove their gown and place them back on the hanger in its elegance just before washing their faces to remove their makeup. However, no one went to sleep right away.

 

Miyoung sighed as sauntered back from the kitchen with a cup of warm tea in her hands. She plopped down on the couch next to her sister – whose eyes were settled on the movie she’d put on randomly. The brunette’s eyes squinted with a playful smile plastered her lips: “I suppose there’s someone very special occupying my sister’s mind tonight, huh?” She teased, nudging Joohyun softly. Her eyes were settled on the eldest while she took a sip of her tea. Joohyun let out a shy laugh, looking down with a nervous smile. “Sehun’s just what a young man ought to be.” She replied while Miyoung raised her brows. “He’s rational, good-humored-” “Handsome and conveniently very rich.” Miyoung cut off as the two shared a laugh. “You know that I don’t believe in marrying for money, Mi,” Joohyun stated. They both knew that their mother wanted her daughters to marry into money so they could live comfortably.

 

“And I agree with you!” Miyoung exclaimed with a laugh, “The only way anyone would persuade me into marriage is if it’s driven by deep, true love which is probably why I’ll end up old with thousands of cats.” The Bae sisters sat in silence. Miyoung knew that true love was an impossible thing for anyone to believe who would convey that kind of feeling for her. “Do you really believe he liked me, Mi?” Joohyun questioned after the long silence with the only sound of the television being in the background. The brunette halted her sipping as she turned to Joohyun with an obvious look. “Joo, he danced with you most of the night and then proceeded to stare at you for the rest of the night. If it wasn’t obvious that he liked you, then I think you’d need to get some glasses to brighten your visual.” The brunette joked allowing Joohyun to laugh and nudge her younger sister. “Besides, I give you permission to like him – you’ve liked many stupider men. I personally admire you for having the personality to like people in general. The world’s perspective is all good in your eyes.”

 

“Well, not his friend. What’s his name – Baekhyun?” Joohyun breathed, turning her body to face the brunette. Miyoung blinked, eyeing her sister through the steam of her tea. “I can’t believe what he said about you.” The brunette sighed. Her eyes simply stared at her tea, deep in thought as she thought back to the evening where he had basically called her ugly compared to the vanity of her sister. “If his ego wasn’t so big, I would’ve forgiven him had he not bruised my own.” Miyoung simply shrugged, sipping her tea at ease while Joohyun watched her for any kind of reaction other than the truth behind her words. “It’s whatever, Joo. I highly doubt we’ll run into each other or ever speak to each other again.”

 

If only her words were true – but it was just the beginning.

 


 

The early mornings arrived as there was pounding at their front door. Miyoung’s eyes squinted, attempting to readjust to the light shining in through the cracks of her windows. She let out a groan, turning over in her bed when the pounding stopped and replaced with loud voices that could easily be distinguished as her family (all except her father) – assuming that Joohyun let them in. She could hear her mother’s loud voice bombard Joohyun with questions regarding the event – even questions if Miyoung had actually attempted to ‘woo men’. She groaned once more, turning over as her eyes attached to the white ceiling above her.

 

Her head turned to the digital clock that woke her up in the mornings for work. “It’s only eight in the morning,” she groaned while throwing her blanket over her head and screaming into it. It took her a good ten minutes to finally get up and face her family. She sauntered to her bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth before finally going out to face them. “Oh, it’s about time you woke up!” Her mother exclaimed, preying herself to get details out of the brunette. Joohyun glanced to her sister, handing her a cup of coffee. “Good morning, mother,” she grumbled, side-eyeing her mother as she took a sip of the coffee.

 

“How was-”

 

“Before you ask me how the event was or if we met any billionaire – let me drink my coffee, mother,” she explained, venom basically dripping from her lips. It was too early for her, and despite the two cups of tea she had – she could feel the hangover from the number of wine and champagne she consumed. Her mother let out an exasperated sigh, eyeing her second eldest daughter. “We’re not getting any younger, Miyoung,” her mother complained, earning a sigh from Miyoung and her father. “If you want to take about men – Joohyun has Oh Sehun wrapped around her fingers.”

 

The Oh Sehun?!” Her mother and three sisters exclaimed in unison while staring at Joohyun – who looked down with rose tinted cheeks. “Oh yeah,” Miyoung encouraged, embarrassing her sister more, “he danced with her all night, barely let her out of his sight.” Their mother screeched loudly, clapping her hands in excitement because her eldest daughter caught the attention of one of the two richest men in their country. “And did you not meet anyone, Mi?” Seulgi queried quietly while rounding their island. Joohyun moved closer to Miyoung and Seulgi while their mother gushed about how Joohyun’s beauty has finally captured a man that could help her live lavishly for the rest of her life.

 

“By meet someone, do you mean an egotistic and utterly preconceived man?” The brunette asked, taking a sip of her coffee while Seulgi raised her brows in question. There was a scowl on Miyoung’s face, letting Seulgi know that something was not right. Joohyun sighed softly as her head turned to Seulgi: “Her and Byun Baekhyun didn’t get off on the right foot.”

 

“So, you, the Byun Baekhyun? And Joo-unnie, the Oh Sehun?”

 

“There is no him and I, Seul. He indirectly insulted me.”

 

The middle child held open in a gaping manner as she comprehended the words that her eldest sisters spoke. The story was as Joohyun and Miyoung discussed the prior night on their couch. It shocked Seulgi that someone had called her sister ‘ugly’ because – between her and Joohyun – they were the beauties of the family. Of course, she couldn’t discredit her and her younger siblings, but with Joohyun and Miyoung, they carried Seulgi and their sisters on their backs. “Well, if you don’t like him, then I don’t like him.” Seulgi mentioned, giving the brunette a tight hug and kiss to her cheek. Miyoung laughed as Joohyun’s phone dinged loudly among the chaos of their apartment. Her attention turned to her phone as she stared at the message that shined on the screen. Miyoung could tell that there was something off when she saw the paleness on Joohyun’s features. “What is it, Joo?” She questioned, tilting her head as she moved over closer to the eldest Bae sister.

 

“It’s, um,” she spluttered, “Sehun wants to have lunch today.”

 

“We’re saved,” their mother uttered breathlessly allowing the girls to roll their eyes. It's the modern day and her mother still want to play matchmaker for a husband.

 

Nevertheless, Joohyun had agreed to go have lunch with the rich man.

 

“Well, if Joo is going to have lunch with this man and as much as I love you all, I would like you to leave.” Miyoung mentioned as she ushered her family out of her kitchen. Jisoo stood up and came towards Miyoung, wrapping her arm around the brunette. “I thought we were going to the bookstore and lunch today,” her younger sister uttered. Miyoung had completely forgot about it, but she didn’t deny. She ushered everyone out. It was too early for her to function – even after her dose of caffeine.

 


 

“Joo, listen, just call if you need anything, okay?” Miyoung countered into her phone as she sat side-by-side with Jisoo. “Bye, love you.” Her finger clicked the red button, letting it fall onto the table with a small thud. Her attention for the day was to spend time with the second youngest sister, Jisoo. They had planned to spend time because Joohyun and Miyoung were the two that worked week to week and lived in an apartment further away from their family home. The only time they’d see one another was during weekends – unless Miyoung was working six out of the seven days.

 

“Is she okay?” Jisoo inquired as she turned her head to look at the brunette. Miyoung nodded with a smile, sighing softly: “She’s freaking out because they’re having lunch on some fancy rooftop restaurant.” “It’s funny how mom always wanted her kids to marry into the rich – and look where our eldest is? Lunch on some fancy rooftop that we could never afford.” The two snorted a laugh as they finished up their lunch at a local café that had the best chicken croissant sandwiches. With an iced coffee in one hand, and her phone in the other – the two Bae sisters lifted from their seats to exit the shop.

 

“What if they’re soulmates?” Jisoo gasped, linking her arm with Miyoung’s.

 

“You’re foreshadowing, Ji.”

 

Miyoung rolled her eyes when her body collided with someone. She gasped and pulled back, lucky that her coffee didn’t spill on the said party. “I’m so sorr-” She looked up, eyeing the other party with wide eyes. He looked distraught, eyeing down his suit as he patted down his – probably – expensive suit. “It’s fine,” he grumbled until he looked up with wide eyes. “Miss Bae,” he called out, surprised that he’d run into the girl with the baby blue dress the night before. She cleared , giving him a feigned smile. “Mr Byun,” she responded before excusing herself. “I’m sorry – excuse me.” She said, but he didn’t seem to like the idea that she was walking away.

 

“What would have happened if you ruined my suit?”

 

She stopped. Jisoo blinked, eyeing her sister and the man before them. “But I didn’t ruin it, so we’re good, right?” “You could’ve ruined it,” he countered, blocking her way from exiting the café. Eyes were on them, and Jisoo happened to look around with slight embarrassment. “What do you want from me?” Miyoung exasperated, “I already said I was sorry, is that not enough?” She glared at Baekhyun for a split second, trying her best to move away from his blocking. “Look, I’m sorry – whoever you are, but we’re in the middle of a public café. And you two are starting a scene.” Jisoo whispered, pulling her sister back by the arm. Baekhyun seemed to notice, looking around as he cleared his throat. He stepped away from the door and cleared his throat. Miyoung huffed, rolling her eyes as she exited the café with her sister hooked to her arm. “What was that all about?” Jisoo questioned, looking back to the front door of the café where Baekhyun simply stared out the door with a look of disbelief.

 

“So, you know all the discussions about Oh Sehun?” She inquired, shaking her head towards Jisoo. Her sister nodded, wondering where she was getting with the idea. “Well, that’s his best friend.” Jisoo furrowed her brows before realization hit her. “That’s the Byun Baekhyun?!” She queried in a quiet exclaim. Miyoung sighed, nodding her head. “Mr Byun and I are not on the best of friendly terms because he said I was tolerable and not pretty enough to tempt in him in anyway.” She brought her fingers up to air-quote what he had said. “How rude!” Jisoo cried out, “But it just goes to show that he’s rude by the way he talked to you in there.”

 

Miyoung sighed, shaking her head for the nth time as she reevaluated her words. She said the night prior that she’d doubt she’d run into Byun Baekhyun again, but the universe wanted to be against her.

 



 

Jane Austen's original wording meets the modern day? 
I think so! I hope I don't strive too far from the original plot.

Of course I'll have my own original plot,
just threading in some parts from the book and movie ;; 

don't be a ghost reader, leave some feedback please!

until next time,
love baekhyun & i