Arranged Marriage

Precious Slave

It is very unusual for Eunbi to see Jaeyeon sitting by the dining table with a confused expression while waiting to take her to the main building. He belongs to the type of person who cannot sit still. Even during rest time – e.g. when Eunbi is in the lab, he will exercise and practice martial arts.

"What's wrong, Jaeyeon? You look pale." Eunbi asks in concern.

"Your Highness..." Jaeyeon quickly stands up.

"Are you going to tell me about your investigation today?"

"Yes, Your Highness – but we need to go to the Blue Room soon."

Eunbi sighs. Her parents are going to dine with Jaeyeon's father tonight, and she is well aware of what topic they will be bringing up.

It is definitely not good timing for a wedding proposal when Jaeyeon looks so disturbed (while Eunbi is not aware that she looks distressed too). His father may think that she has mistreated his son and her parents may mistake that Jaeyeon does not suit her.

She turns to her personal maid, "Nako, please let His Majesty know we may need an extra half an hour. I don't feel well after today's intensive practice and need to rest a bit longer."

After Nako left, Eunbi signals Jaeyeon to sit down with her.

"Your Highness, you really don't look well." It's Jaeyeon's turn to show his concern towards Eunbi.

"I didn't lie. But I think I want to hear about the horse traders' story first."

Jaeyeon swallows hard and takes a deep breath, "it is complicated. The salesman we met told us that Saku was sold to them because he...he killed his owner, the chieftain of the horse breeder family."

"Why?" Eunbi doesn't feel very surprised when she remembers the enormous force that Sakura possessed.

"I am not sure but..." Jaeyeon stutters, "he...she, no, yes, she...they said she was the old man's...concubine."'

– Will getting married let Lord Jaeyeon hurt you?

Eunbi's eyes widened. She in a few quick breaths and exhales them like fire.

"She is just a child!"

"We don't have any law to protect children in any situation...and...Saku is really a girl, isn't she?"

"Let's finish with the old men's death first?" Eunbi frowns deeply.

"The horse traders said they arrived at the ranch on the third day after the old man died, but they weren't told how he died. They are curious why the family insisted to offer them a Heavenly Horse yearling together with her caretaker at a very tempted price, so they bribed someone. The person told them that their chieftain married a child bride and she killed him, and after that, everyone thought she was possessed by a demon – or a demon herself." Jaeyeon downs the half glass of water in front of him in one gulp and continues after he feels calmer. "Let me make it clearer: the chieftain was killed by his child bride. His family tried to get rid of the girl by offering a young female Heavenly Horse at a very tempted price and the only condition is that the horse must be sold together with the girl. And we discovered another shocking fact: this family normally doesn't sell Heavenly Horse to local Tokkizans, they only train them as military horses and sell them to the Cistumons at a very high price. Anyway, the horse traders bought the girl with the horse reluctantly, that's why they were so eager to get rid of her too."

Eunbi creases her brows and leans her head to one side – a habit when she is thinking. "So do you mean we have bought a murderer who killed a traitor?"

"I will send Kang Kwangbae to Northeastern Prairie for further investigations. But... in the meantime, I'm worried about Your Highness's safety. I know you like Saku a lot, and I like her a lot too, but if she really killed someone..."

Eunbi looks deeply into Jaeyeon's troubled eyes. Her feelings are so complicated that she stays silent for quite a while before she speaks. "Jaeyeon, there is something I have not told you. On the first day when we bought Saku – her real name is Sakura. I examined her thoroughly. I cannot describe to you how horrible the child has been abused. It was not just physical, it's also ual and spiritual. When I tried to examine her...private part, she panicked and broke down, and an enormous force just detonated from her body when I touched her. I was thrown to the air, so..."

"So she nearly killed you?" Jaeyeon jumps up abruptly with eyes full of anger, "NO, we cannot let her stay!"

"Calm down, Jaeyeon!" Eunbi raises her voice.

"She will kill you!" Jaeyeon's face is twisted with emotions that Eunbi feels very foreign.

"Oppa!" Eunbi stands up and walks closer to Jeayeon.

Jaeyeon freezes – this was how she called him when they were children, but she was not allowed to call him as such after she was crowned, and he cannot call her name anymore.

"Listen. I can explain it in terms of magic, but I cannot be sure, I need some time to investigate too. One thing I can be sure of is that Sakura has no control of her force, so the old man must have pushed her to an extreme circumstance that she has no choice but to let him die."

Jaeyeon just stares at Eunbi with a dropped jaw.

Eunbi goes back to her chair and sits down. Sakura's question rings in her ears again.

– Will getting married let Lord Jaeyeon hurt you?

It feels like a stone has been hitting her repeatedly on the head.

For a long while, the Princess closes her eyes rubbing her temple when her First Knight just stands silently like a stone at the other end of the long dining table.

Until Jaeyeon clears his throat and utters, "Your Highness, I still have something to report..."

Eunbi nods.

"The horse – the black horse."

Eunbi opens her eyes, "I remember. Where is the horse? Was she sold?"

Jaeyeon cannot control his stammer, "yes...yes...she is now in our stables..."

It's Eunbi's turn to drop her jaw.

The two just stare at each other like idiots for a while, until they both burst into laughter simultaneously.

"Oh my God! What's happening?" Eunbi yelps. "You just said you want to kick out Sakura and now you brought her horse to the Palace."

Jaeyeon rubs his nape in embarrassment. "Yes, she couldn't be sold because she is 10 times more tsundere than First Snow – that's why I got a half-price for that."

"Jaeyeon!" Eunbi cannot believe her ears.

"But the horse trader was right, Saku is the only person who can control the horse." Jaeyeon tries to defend himself, "today, I saw it with my own eyes!"

And he tells Eunbi briefly what happened in the afternoon. He becomes very excited when he depicts Sakura's precise computation on catching and mounting the horse, "it looks like she can fly."

Eunbi can only nod. "And I also have something to tell you, Sakura is Arukasian."

"How do you know?"

Eunbi shakes her head, "it's a long story. I will tell you on the way to the Blue Room."

"Can I ask one question? If Saku is a girl, why did Chaewon nuna make us think she is a boy?"

Eunbi feels her heart pounding as if her secret is being exposed, "maybe she misunderstood when she saw Saku without hair."

"But how can nuna get it wrong? Chaewon nuna never get things wrong."

"That's why she will be joining our dinner tonight." Eunbi tries to divert Jaeyeon's attention.

"Why? Is there a specific topic about tonight's dinner?" Jaeyeon scoffs, "I just know we are going to dine with my father."

Eunbi just smiles and stands up, "let's go."

***

The delayed arrival of the young duo gave a chance for the King and the Queen to start the conversation with Viscount Dongwook, the ambassador of Tokkiz to the Cistumon Empire. Chaewon has also joined the conversation but she is sitting slightly further away.

Dongwook has just arrived at the Capital City this afternoon. He is anxious to know why the King has summoned him, and he is excited to meet his son after not seeing him since he graduated from the military academy two years ago.

Dongwook is one of the King's most trusted men in the Kingdom. He started his career as the King's secretary soon after he ascended the throne. Dongwook is one year younger but he got married at a younger age. His wife died when Jaeyeon was only a small boy. He was so devastated that he decided to dedicate all his time to work. He followed the King to Arukas to document the war and nearly left Jaeyeon in total negligence. Fortunately, the Queen offered to let Jaeyeon stay in the Palace with other noble children under the same situation, until he was sent to the noble military school when he reached puberty.

Dongwook's reports were vital to save the King's reputation when he was forced to retreat from Arukas and allowed the Cistumons to occupy the Music Corridor. After the war, the King granted Dongwook the title of Viscount to administer legal reform and later appointed him as the ambassador when the Tokkiz embassy in Cistumon was established a few years ago.

Dongwook feels so proud when he sees Jaeyeon, he grew taller and looks stunningly handsome in uniform. But he is soon disappointed. After he kisses the Princess's hand as a courtesy, Jaeyeon refuses to shake his hand and just bows to him politely. Eunbi notes the tension and quickly grabs Dongwook's large hand with both of her small hands like when she was a child.

"Uncle Dongwook, can you tell me stories of the Cistumons Empire?"

Dongwook smiles, "yes sure, Your Highness. I think I am here to report what I've seen in the evil empire. What kind of stories do you want to hear?"

"But I think everyone is hungry now," the Queen quickly intervenes. "Eunbi, let's move to the dining table."

Food softens the tension, and Eunbi being the curious baby, asking all sorts of questions is too cute that makes everybody laugh. When Dongwook attempts to bring up work-related issues, the King stops him.

"Dongwook-ya," the King says, "let's have a peaceful family dinner tonight."

Family? Dongwook is dumbfounded. "Your Majesty?"

"Hyeong." The King corrects him.

Dongwook bows lightly, "hyeong-nim."

The King smiles, "Dongwook, Jaeyeon is going to be 21 next year. You also got married when you were 21, didn't you?"

Dongwook seems to get the King's hint and suddenly at a loss for words.

Jaeyeon is curious but doesn't know what to anticipate.

The King decided to be straight forward. "I want Jaeyeon to marry Eunbi before she takes up the role of Princess Regent when she turns 18."'

Dongwook looks at the King and then at the young duo in shock trying to comprehend the King's word.

Jaeyeon just freezes in his chair, mouth agape with incredulity.

Eunbi instantly turns scarlet.

"But Yo...hyeong-nim, why?"

"I have appointed Jaeyeon to be Eunbi's First Knight for almost a year. I have observed them and think they match perfectly. Do you have other ideas in your mind?"

Dongwook shakes his head and the King then turns to Jaeyeon nonchalantly. "Jaeyeon, you can say no."

"No..." Jaeyeon shoots up and waves his hands in panic, "no, no, I don't mean no. I...I...I mean yes, yes...I...like Her Highness very much – Yes! Your Majesty, thank you!"

All the adults laugh.

"But, hyeong-nim," Dongwook insists, "why the regency plan?"

"You know my situation, and it has been getting worse. I don't think I can walk anymore within one to two years. Why should the people deserve a King who cannot even stand by himself? We need a young and strong leader who can push forward reform in this country – and that's the main reason I want you to be back. I want you to help Eunbi."

"You mean I am not going back to Cistumon?"

"No." The King sounds firm.

Dongwook leads out a long sigh of relief. He stands up and bows deeply to the King.

The King chuckles, "I know it has been a hard job."

"Very hard indeed, Your Majesty."

The King raises one brow, "hyeong."

Dongwook nods and bows, "yes, hyeong-nim."

The King then turns to Eunbi and smiles.

Eunbi raises her head. She decided to impress the adults a bit. "Thank you, father, to have chosen the best person to protect me and support me. I think personal happiness will be less important than keeping the kingdom in peace and prosperity. I believe Jaeyeon will always be my best partner in facing adversity and obstacles. I will give my life to make Tokkiz a country ahead of time." She raises her glass, "long live Tokkiz, long live the King!"

Dongwook is very surprised at Eunbi's maturity when he joins the toast, while the Royal parents just smile with pride.

The King also raises his glass, "to life, to Tokkiz, to our future Queen and Prince Consort!"

***

The dinner continued with a light-hearted atmosphere after the King revealed his plan. Although Eunbi and Jaeyeon now felt new burdens on their shoulders, they also felt that they aren't kids anymore and should act accordingly. Jaeyeon finally spoke to his father while Eunbi discussed Saku's rank and duties as well as her own wedding with Chaewon and her mother. Left alone, the King fell asleep unnoticed in his chair. Dongwook feels guilty to have neglected his "brother", but he now understands why the King insists to pass his throne to the younger generation. The only problem is the law. There was once in Tokkiz's history when an abdicated King was persecuted after losing his privileges, so his successors set up this law to protect themselves, that an heir presumptive can only inherit the throne after the last King/Queen died.

After leaving the Blue Room, Jaeyeon escorts Eunbi back to the Princess Compound. This is a route they have been walking through a hundred times, but tonight feels very different. When Jaeyeon is, as usual, walking half a step behind the Princess, Eunbi pulls his sleeve, signals him to walk right beside her.

Jaeyeon jerks slightly upon the brief touch. His heart suddenly races like he is running up the hill.

Not aware of Jaeyeon's reaction, Eunbi continues to talk.

"Father's health really worries me."

Jaeyeon nods. He tries to calm down by diverting his attention, "please forgive me if it is inappropriate to ask this question: did you use your magic to help the King?"

Eunbi rolls her eyes, "do you think he can still enjoy eating and sleeping without mine and Chaewon's spells? But I can only do it secretly. This is something I cannot understand. Why does he keep on refusing my help? I am sure he will heal better with my direct intervention."

"Did you ask your teacher, the Royal physician?"

Eunbi pouts, "yes of course. But he said it was the secret between men."

"Men..." Jaeyeon snorts. "I will guess it is just a matter of pride – the Great King that has brought prosperity to his Kingdom needs to be attended by his baby daughter. Men's secrets can be just silly and stupid things."

Eunbi giggles, "hey, you are a man too."

Jaeyeon looks at Eunbi with a soft smile, "not all men are the same."

"Fine." Eunbi laughs at Jaeyeon playfully and suddenly feels shy.

Jaeyeon smiles to himself. He must have done something very good in his past lives to deserve such a clever and adorable princess to be his wife. Honestly, he feels a bit overwhelmed by the fact that he is going to be elevated from a minor noble to a royal. He cannot imagine what will be like to be a Prince Consort, but he truly enjoys being the man behind the most powerful woman in Tokkiz.

"What are you thinking, Oppa?" After a short silence, Eunbi asks.

Jaeyeon feels his cheeks burning. "It is the second time tonight you have called me...Oppa..."

"Is there anything wrong?" Eunbi skips one step ahead and turns her body towards Jaeyeon playfully, "I like to call you Oppa when we were young."

Jaeyeon chuckles, "you always have a reason for calling me that. Like, when you want candies, or you want someone to accompany you for a ride, or..."

"And you will always fulfill my wishes." Eunbi giggles and turn her back against Jaeyeon, hiding a smug smile.

"I supposed that is my destiny?" Jaeyeon says quietly and Eunbi just nods.

The two soon arrive at the Princess Compound, there they are greeted by an inconceivable scene.

Sakura is sitting on a decorative stone in front of the main entrance. She is surrounded by a dozen animals, including Eunbi's favorite black cat Poké, and Dukduk the Pug (no one knows how they managed to sneak out). They seem to be chatting in a relaxed atmosphere.

"Why are you all here?" Eunbi raises her voice and regrets immediately. The animals fled in a blink except for Dukduk. Eunbi picks up the silly looking dog and rubs his belly, "are you complaining against me again?"

Sakura jumps up and bows, "I am sorry, Your Highness. We...we are just...chatting."

"Why are you here?"

"I..." Sakura lowers her head and stammers, "just see if you...have anything..."

Eunbi hands Dukduk over to Jaeyeon, "take him back and get rest. I will talk to Saku a bit before sleep."

She winks subtly to Jaeyeon and Jaeyeon is happy sharing a little secret with the Princess.

***

Same as the past two days, Eunbi examines Sakura's wounds, but tonight she decided to do take a step further.

She takes out a notebook and starts to record her observations on Sakura's body. She uses magic that can capture and print the images that she wants onto the paper. Before she takes the measurements, she asks, "Kura, is it alright for me to document your body? You have a very special body, it will be a great contribution to knowledge if I can record the way you grow up."

Sakura looks at Eunbi curiously with her big puppy eyes. Obviously, she has no idea what Eunbi is talking about, but she nods anyway. "Yes, Your Highness."

Eunbi smiles and rubs the thin layer of newly grown hair on Sakura's scalp. "Call me unnie when there are just 2 of us."

"Yes, unnie," Sakura repeats obediently.

With permission, Eunbi starts to examine and measure Sakura's s in a bolder manner and writes down all the details in her notebook. She asks Sakura some private questions and jots down the answers. She then signals Sakura to sit up.

"Am I a monster?" Finally, Sakura asks.

Eunbi leads out a long sigh and pauses before she answers in an assertive tone. "No. You are not a monster. Rather, those who see you as a monster are monsters themselves."

Eunbi starts to pace around the examination table with her hands at the back – another habit of her during thinking, and asks, "did your mother tell you the origin of your name Sakura?"

Sakura shakes her head, "she just emphasized that it is in one word and not Sa Kura as it is listed on documents."

"Did she mention anything about the meaning of the name?"

Sakura thinks hard and shakes her head again.

Eunbi nods as if she has found the clue. "Kura, it is only a guess." she says, "when you read the word Arukas from the opposite direction and thought that it was Sakura this morning, it inspired me that the name Sakura may be the encryption of Arukas, which is your origin."

"You mean I am Arukasian?" Sakura doesn't look very surprised. "I have asked, but mama never wants to discuss that. She said she will tell me when I am older, but she never had the chance."

Eunbi stops and faces Sakura, "your mother died? When was it?"

Sakura presses her lips together and lowers her head.

Eunbi decided she must push a bit harder. "Listen, Kura, you don't have to tell me if you don't feel comfortable. But for the same reason, I cannot help you further if I know nothing about you."

Eunbi continues her pacing. After a long silence, Sakura finally speaks, in a barely audible voice, "it was just two weeks ago. She was killed when she fell from horseback and then got stepped on by other horses."

Eunbi frowns, "was it an accident?"

"No."

Without hearing any further explanation from Sakura, Eunbi asks, "what do you mean by no? Was she murdered or..."

Tears pool in Sakura's eyes and her voice cracks. "We were trying to escape from our master. I was riding ahead so I didn't see how mama fell. But she fell because we were chased..."

And you got caught and forced to marry the old man...Eunbi thinks and again, the lights start to flicker and dim down. This time she quickly pulls Sakura into an embrace and soothes her back.

"I'm here." Eunbi whispers. She chants a compassion spell silently until she feels the lights gradually coming back. She just let Sakura cries on her shoulder without a word.

It seems a century has passed and Eunbi starts to feel tired. She breaks the hug gently and hands Sakura a towel.

When Eunbi sits down on the chaise longue and rests, Sakura speaks again in a much calmer voice.

"Mama was very pretty, the master wanted to marry her after his wife died. Mama didn't want to marry him, so we planned to escape one night, but we were discovered. I was caught and chained. The master said since mama now died, I have to substitute her, but when he took off my pants..."

Eunbi inhales deeply and feels a pain in her chest, "he discovered you are hermaphrodite and he...hurt you?"

Sakura nods silently.

Eunbi contemplates for a while and says, "you know what? In Arukas, hermaphrodites are considered auspicious and seen as perfect humans. Hermaphroditic children were always destined to be priests and shamans."

Sakura looks astonished.

Eunbi nods, "no matter what people said and did to you, you must remember: you are not a monster, as an Arukasian, you are a holy child."

Sakura blinks her eyes in disbelief, "we have been living in Arukas until I was 5 years old, but I never heard about it."

"Your adopted parents were Tokkizans? I just want to make sure." Eunbi asks.

Sakura nods.

Then Eunbi continues, leaning her head to one side, "They were Tokkizans. They found you during their stay in Arukas and didn't leave until you are 5. Why were they there? What happened to your birth parents? It was soon after the war and there were lots of conflicts between the border."

"I heard that papa was searching for something in Arukas. Mama told me that my real family was looted and killed by robbers. I was the only survivor and they saved me. Papa didn't like me but mama always protected me. Papa died suddenly when I was 5 and mama got very sick. She brought me back to Tokkiz but was forced to sell ourselves as slaves just to get fed. Mama said it wouldn't last long...Aunt Yena will come to save us – but Aunt Yena never came."

"Aunt Yena? I thought Yena is your horse?"

Hearing that Eunbi knows about Yena, Sakura finally smiles. "Yes, Yena was the first foal I bred and raised single-handedly. Mama missed her sister very much so I named the baby Yena to make her happy. She wrote Aunt Yena letters, but we were not sure if she received those letters because she never replied."

"Chaewon unnie told me about your connection with Yena – the horse."

"Yes – and," Sakura jumps down from the examination table and kneels down before Eunbi, "unnie, thank you for saving Yena. I promise I will train her to be your best horse."

Eunbi chuckles. She suddenly feels very sleepy. She looks at Sakura and pats the space beside her, "this time you should thank Jaeyeon. I don't know why he bought Yena. But I am glad to see you smile finally."

Sakura stands up but hesitates to sit down.

"Kura-ya," not waiting for Sakura to sit, Eunbi yawns and lies down on the chaise longue, "I think I need to take a nap. Guard me and wake me up in an hour."

She waves her hand to put off some lights and soon fell to a deep slumber.

Guard me...Gingerly, Sakura sits down beside Eunbi. A tender feeling grows in her heart. She doesn't know what is it but she promises herself she will grow up strong and guard the Princess until her last breath.