Past Lives

Precious Slave

Something about human nature is that one will get used to a new environment or a new lifestyle sooner than one expects. After the first week of intensive training, the three witches gradually get back to their normal energetic, merry selves. The result of the training is more visible on Eunbi. The young princess virtually begins to shine with confidence and possesses a calmness that a real ruler should look like.

Dinner is the only time when the young people from the palace can share what they have learned during their separation in the daytime.

Eunbi reports that she is learning astral projection and teleport (so she can fly), and at the same time enhancing her skill in telepathy. Chaewon makes a mysterious smile on her face when she says she is learning to predict the future, but Nako looks sullen as she is learning how to help the Princess doctor to deal with natural and human disasters, like pandemics and wars.

On the contrary, Jaeyeon describes how he shopped around the Magic Town with Saku-chan, taught Saku-chan martial arts on the hilltop, or travels around the Magic Valley with Saku-chan and the horses. It was so delighting to see the horses and the boy ran wild – although Jaeyeon keeps his mouth shut on teaching Saku-chan to pee standing up...

"Oh, I wish I could climb to the hilltop," Eunbi feels envious, seemingly not only just about the boys could run around when she has to practice all the time, "and ride First Snow to the beach."

"The beach?" Saku, who is standing behind Eunbi, asks with great curiosity.

Eunbi turns to look at the girl she has been missing a lot for the past 10 days. Standing behind her, Kura's energy feels different. Eunbi cannot find a proper word to describe it – it feels warm like the rising sun but she doesn't know what is it. "Yes, the beach. It is the gateway to the sea."

"The sea?" Saku exclaims. His high pitch voice is so adorable that makes everyone around the table laughs.

Jaeyeon explains, "a sea is a place full of water. You can imagine it like a vast bowl as big as the sky filled up with an unmeasurable volume of water. The water is very very deep, so deep that you can put a mountain inside, and only the tip of the mountain would be shown above the water."

Saku's mouth drops and his eyes wide open with awe.

"Do you want to go to the beach and visit the sea?" Jaeyeon asks while glancing at Eunbi. Saku nods vigorously.

Eunbi smiles, "right, Jaeyeon, why don't you bring Saku to the sea? We will start our retreat tomorrow and we will not be seeing each other for the next 7 days. It will be a good idea for you to explore the coastline and send me a report when you are back."

"Sure, Your Highness!" Jaeyeon smiles wildly and bows.

Jaeyeon couldn't be happier with the new "assignment". He immediately took Saku to the library after the three witches retreated to their evening practices. He taught Saku how to find a book by reading the library index while teaching him a few new keywords, and eventually found a couple of books on Tokkiz's geography and oceanography.

After that, Jaeyeon knocked on Hongki's door to consult him about the preparation matters. He gave Saku his notebook to jot down the points, and only remembered Saku couldn't really write until he found his notebook covered with pictures. He then hurried back to his room, started to pack, and urged Saku to do the same. The two started their journey the next day afternoon with the help of the elite task force.

They galloped through the country road to the sea in silence nearly without rest to make up the time. It felt more like a military action than an excursion but that nonetheless made Saku very excited. They arrived at a small town after sunset and Jaeyeon checked in to an inn.

"We are near, but we will go to the shore next morning." Jaeyeon's face glows with excitement, "I am hungry, let's go eat and have a drink."

Sakura knows well what is to "have a drink", it is really a men's thing that she has never experienced ("girls don't drink," mama has warned her over and over again). Nevertheless, she quickly goes to wash her hands and face.

"Saku-chan, you are really obsessed with cleanliness, aren't you?" Jaeyeon frowns. Saku's obsession with cleanliness looks very strange in his eyes, even though he knows Saku was raised as a girl. For example, when he learned to pee standing up, he was so unhappy to see his precious boots dirted by the urine since he still cannot master the skill, that he eventually chose to squat again.

"Mama said if we don't keep clean, we will get sick," Saku says in a barely audible voice.

That's Jaeyeon's soft spot. He somehow thinks Saku is lucky to have a mother by his side when he grew up.

So he washes his hands too.

Saku feels overwhelmed by the atmosphere when they entered the tavern. People, mostly men sit around small tables, making ear-piercing noise (especially true for Saku) while eating and drinking. Jaeyeon notices Saku's uneasiness and puts an arm around the boy's shoulder.

"They are mostly soldiers from the nearby barrack," Jaeyeon leans down and whispers to Saku's ear, "wild animals."

The boy chuckles.

Jaeyeon chooses a table that is farthest away from the "wild animals" and orders some food. He then gets himself a beer and a fermented tea drink for Saku.

"Try it. It's called Scoby Tea, a very common drink in Southern counties. But the Princess doesn't like it, so we seldom have the chance to drink it."

Saku takes a sip to the ice drink and his eyes widen, "Kura Tea!"

Jaeyeon is startled, "Kura Tea?"

Saku nods vigorously and exclaims, "Mama used to make it all the time. I helped too. It tasted even better than this."

"Can you tell me more?" Jaeyeon tries his best to hide his curiosity. This is a rare occasion that Saku activity talks about his mother (and not about her tragic death).

As Saku speaks, Jaeyeon asks many questions and proves that Kwangbae's information is 100% correct. Saku's mother was born and raised in a wealthy family in the South – she didn't really tell Saku where she came from, but the memories she iterated and the exquisite habits she kept even after she became a slave, has told so much about her background and personality.

"Did she talk much about your father?"

Saku's eyes drop, "no, but she always cried alone at night. When I asked if she was thinking about papa, she nodded. Mama loved papa a lot even though he hurt her a lot."

Jaeyeon falls silent for a while before he asks, "did your mama talk much about Yena? Your aunt, I mean."

Saku hesitates for a few seconds but answers, "Yes, mama talked about Aunt Yena a lot. She always praised Yena. She said Yena is the smartest person on earth and she has lots of funny ideas."

"Aunt Yena is her younger sister, right?"

"Yes. Aunt Yena is younger than mama, but she is indeed papa's half-sister."

Jaeyeon in a quick breath with the sudden realization. So they have been searching for Yena based on the wrong assumption...

"So, Yena is not your mama's real sister!" Jaeyeon feels a bit frustrated and blames himself for being stupid.

"Mama said the three of them are pupils of a polymath, it is a bit like Great Yoonjung and the...three witches. He has been liked a father to them, and they grew up as brothers and sisters. Mama said she and Yena were closer than real sisters."

Jaeyeon feels exhilarated, he finally found the most crucial clue! He must find a way to notify Kwangbae. "No wonder they have the same word 'ye' in their names. It is a very common practice in Tokkiz."

Sakura nods. Memories of her mother are bittersweet.

When the food comes, the two eat silently until Saku asks, "hyeong, is this the first time you've been here?"

"No." Jaeyeon shoves a big piece of meat into his mouth and speaks as he chews, "I came here the first time when I studied at the military academy. I've stayed here for 3 months. I was very interested in military strategy so I was sent here for training."

Jaeyeon knows well what Saku the curious baby is going to ask next, so he volunteers to provide all the information he thinks Saku will be interested in, including his military training and his thoughts about war.

"I concern a lot about coastal defense after spending time here. Our general military defense capacity is currently very poor and is especially weak in maritime security. But we can't do much about it because we were forced to sign a peace treaty with the Cistumons that agreed to carry out conditional de-militarization. My father successfully bargained with the Cistumons that we can keep the size of our defense forces and the resources we put in in proportion to our commoners' population.

Jaeyeon started and couldn't stop. He passionately talks about war, analyzes the To-Cis military situation, and his ideas on reviving the Tokkizan arm forces. After a few beers, he talks louder and bolder. Other customers, including the "wild animals" gradually stopped talking and come around to listen to him. He talks with great enthusiasm, waving his arms with rich facial expressions and colorful tones. His face glows with a bizarre crimson, disseminating confidence and fierceness that was never shown when he was always walking one step behind the Princess.

The atmosphere becomes tense when someone challenges Jaeyeon that he is just a theorist.

"I bet you never joint any real action, kid!" A middle-aged soldier sneers.

Jaeyeon raises his chin and says proudly, "I was there during the Nappa Big Rescue, were you there too?"

The crowd gasps.

Jaeyeon continues, "In case you don't know, I was the one who found the way to break into the theatre and killed the head of the kidnappers before my brothers joined me and saved all the hostages."

Silence.

"Lee Jaeyeon!" Somebody in the crowd shouts and everyone in the room starts to chant Jaeyeon's name together. The cheers are deafening (poor big-ear Saku) and people compete to buy Jaeyeon with more beer and they sing military songs together. Jaeyeon, who is now in a state of ecstasy, stands up and joins them.

Suddenly, Sakura comes to realize the other side of Jaeyeon. The knight who appears to be mature, calm with great self-control, and always puts others' needs before his own, indeed possess a deep enthusiasm for war, and he doesn't even give a damn about killing. However, Sakura doesn't feel intimidated by his hyper-masculinity. Contrary, she feels safe under his protection – or to be precise, she wants to be him.

At this time, some boy soldiers bought a few beers but Jaeyeon announces he has enough beer and must leave soon, so they turn to Saku. Saku shakes his head but the young men , "hey little fella, have a drink and you'll grow into a man tomorrow!"

Sakura tries to stop them from forcing her to drink, but apparently, the boys are drunk and can't control themselves. Even though her body is much smaller, Sakura suddenly feels a gust of wind surging from her feet and she shouts, "No is NO!"

Hearing Saku's uproar, Jaeyeon turns his head. The boys immediately put down the beers and run away.

"Well done, Saku-chan," Jaeyeon laughs and pats Saku on the shoulder. He then turns around and announces, "Hey, fella! This is my brother Saku. He is young, but he killed a giant wolf single-handedly. So, don't mess with him!"

 

***

 

The three witches dive deep in meditation in their respective space after entering the state of astral projection. Their earthly bodies are sitting in a circle at the top of a tower in the castle, with a purple crystal fire burning in the middle. It is the second day and they are learning/practicing to purify their past. Also sitting in the circle, Yoonjung uses her ninth sense to monitor the young mages. This is the skill she has developed over the past few years after her power of astral projection was stolen. The process went smoothly until Yoonjung notices something unusual from Eunbi. Although the Princess looks calm on the outside, her vibe shows that she is struggling in a turmoil state. Yoonjung feels Eunbi more carefully for a while before she asks for permission and plunges into her seeds-consciousness.

There, everything is in the color of blood-red. The sinking sun, the sky above, the earth below, and the sea of blood behind.

A blood-dripping sword is floating in mid-air.

"Who did I kill to create a world like this?" The cracking voice of Eunbi is heard.

"Try to go back to the cause?" Yoonjung asks calmly.

It takes a while before the scene dissolves and changes into the interior of a ship. A man is sleeping on his chair by the dining table, with one hand holding a sword when a little girl ties him up. After it is done, a pair of small hands pull the sword away and pierces it through the man's chest. A gush of blood instantly blinds the vision.

"That was my father, I killed my father in that life," Eunbi's voice is shaking.

"Why did you do that?" Yoonjung asks again.

The scene slowly dissolves into an earlier episode when the man who was killed (later) was now standing on the deck of a large passenger ship, welcoming passengers on board. He was the captain of a luxury vessel which always carries wealthy merchants across the sea. His wife just died a week ago so he was also bringing his young children along on the trip.

Three days later, they were sailing in the middle of the sea. It was midnight already when the man's son went to the toilet and overheard the discussion between his father and the sailors.

"We can just drug them and throw their bodies into the sea, the water is deep, nobody will find them, and all their wealth will be ours."

"Well, boss...but there are hundreds of them," the sailors hesitated.

The man suddenly pulled out his sword and pointed at the sailors, "I was cheated and spent all my money on my wife but she is ing dead and I am broke. I still have two children to feed, and I am left with no choice. If you help me, I will give you a good share, if not, I will kill you now."

The sailors looked very frightened and they agreed reluctantly. The man then pointed his finger to a sack, "a storm is coming, put this into their water tomorrow and they will sleep for a long time, until forever."

The boy felt deeply troubled. He pretended he was asleep when his father went back to their room. In the dark, he heard his father sobbing quietly. He must have missed their mother, but he could not rob and murder people because of that. After a while, the sob stopped and he felt a rough hand caressing his face and his father planted a kiss on his forehead. His beard made him itchy and he decided to "wake up".

"Papa?"

"Yes, honey, go back to sleep. Papa loves you."

"Papa...I heard your plan..." the boy said bravely. "Please, papa, please don't kill people, we can eat very little food and live a happy life."

The man never answered the plead.

The next morning, when everyone was drugged and sleeping soundly in the middle of a storm, the sailors went to the caption and found him dead on his chair...*

"Is that the reason?" Yoonjung asks when she feels Eunbi's vibe is gradually going back to a calmer state.

"Yes, those merchants were saved, but the children were separated and never been able to see each other again...master, my heart is aching."

"Then let's end this session, my dear," Yoonjung says and takes Eunbi out of her seeds-consciousness.

When Eunbi is back to her earthly body, tears start pouring down her face. She is not even sobbing, she just has no control over her tears.

"Tell me how you feel," Yoonjung asks gently.

"I feel very sad, a sadness that I have never known, and it's beyond description. I think I have loved my father in that life very much. He was our only parent, he loved us, but I chose to kill him to save others. Killing one's parents is an unforgivable sin. And I missed my sister very much. I still do..."

"Why do you remember this incident?"

"Soon after I was in the state of total calmness, I entered my seeds-consciousness as you instructed. Then all the past I saw were those of me killing people, or people died because of me – war, separation, death...blood, tears...and I was always playing a part...I really cannot stand it anymore...my heart...feels very painful. Then my world became blood-red. "

"That was when I intervene?"

"Yes, master...and thanks for taking me back to the root cause...I feel really bad. He could have killed me, but he loved and trust me so much, that gave me a chance to kill him. It makes me feel more guilty."

Yoonjung breathes in deeply before she answers, "you actually saved him."

"Eh?" Eunbi blinks in surprise.

Yoonjung nods. "Firstly, if your father didn't die, hundreds of innocent people will lose their lives. Secondly, if he has committed such a horrible crime, he will be burned in hell for Kalpas. Since you have killed him, you stopped him from committing that crime. He lost his life, but he could be decently reborn again. Yet, it means that you have bravely chosen to shoulder the consequence of the crime all by yourself."

"You made me sounds like a saint," Eunbi frowns.

"Eunbi," Yoonjung's tone turns serious, "you have been reborn as kings and warriors many times through the long river of time. You were forced to kill because you have to protect innocent people from falling victim to ambitious maniacs. It is your duty."

Eunbi shakes her head bitterly. "Why does it have to be me?"

Yoonjung stares at Eunbi for a while and says, "What was in your mind when you fired electric shocks to the wolves?"

Eunbi startles a bit, "I didn't kill them. I just wanted to stop them from attacking the team."

Yoonjung nods, "by the same token, you didn't kill people because you were blinded by hatred or greed for power and wealth, or simply enjoy killing, you killed to stop potential killings and other crimes. Your intention was purely based on compassion, and that's where your wisdom and power came from." Yoonjung pauses and continues, "Eunbi, we are situated at the turning point of history, we may witness a disaster that destroys nature and humanity, but we may also witness the birth of a new civilization if we can have a compassionate, brave, and wise mage queen to lead us through this period of hardship."

Eunbi lowers her eyes and shakes her head, "I don't see myself having this ability...and I don't want to kill anymore."

"You have to, and you will, in both ways." Yoonjung looks into Eunbi's eyes like she is penetrating through her soul. "Being a leader, you need to see and act on another level, it can be unpleasant if you still have a pure mind and insist to do things in the right way, but can also be enjoyable if you abuse your status and power and see it as your own privileges, then it will lead you to corruption. It's really up to you. Whatsoever, you've got the ability that is beyond your imaginations. Be brave, my child. It is time to resolve your Kalpa-long agonies."

At this moment, something clicks Eunbi's mind, "now I understand why I always have this sad feeling that someone dear to me has been missing – and unconsciously looking for her."

"Yes, I know," Yoonjung smiles and wipes off Eunbi's tear. "Eunbi-ya, if you remember this incident at this time, I believe there must be some lessons you need to learn from it in this life. But it may also mean there are some problems that can only be solved or some relationships that can only be straightened with this earthly body of yours."

A spark of excitement shines crosses Eunbi's eyes.

 

 

 

* This is inspired by a Buddhist Bible story when Gautama Buddha killed a captain who wanted to murder 500 rich merchants on a boat in one of his past lives.

 


Author's note:

Great apology for not having updated for nearly 2 months. I have been terribly busy with my contract job which was ending and needed to wrap up, and I need to archive iz*one's private mail after the D-day before the app stops functioning (sigh...my life was turned upside down when everything suddenly ends altogether). And I suddenly have an idea on an OC story (I have that for quite some time, but have an urge to write because a couple of my friends were sentenced to jail for political reasons and I want to write them the story) and I spent some time on that...

I dare not ask you how do you feel about this chapter. I just want to assure you I have not lost my way, the plot of this chapter has been brewing in my mind for quite some time, and it is part of the whole picture. Although the plots always come out a bit different than how I think, I think the writing came out better, more substantial than what I first imagine. The philosophy behind Eunbi's past lives may sound foreign or even complicated to many readers, but I didn't totally make that up myself. So, please feel free to drop me any questions or comments so to let me have a chance to explain more.

Thank you for reading.