▲   teaser seven

     ▲ sterling ridge irregulars ▲ apply open  ( APPLICATION CLOSED )
 
C

ormac Ruston DeLuca Junior walked into the DeLuca Group building, his older brother by his side. At 20 years old, Bancroft DeLuca was already getting groomed to take over the company. The DeLuca group was hosting a black-tie function to give a warm welcome to the new joiners to the company and as per tradition, it was mandatory for all the DeLuca children to attend and extend niceties.

The yearly function took place in the ballroom of the DeLuca Group building on the eleventh floor. The event room was not touched unless needed to host a big event like this one. His younger siblings, Topher and Teresa – Reece – DeLuca were already there with his parents, probably entertaining one of the board members.

Ruston adjusted the tie threatening to suffocate him and groaned, visibly uncomfortable. He had to wear a lot of suits growing up, but there was something about being stuffed together with a whole bunch of adults that would no doubt up to him just to get on his parents’ good side that ground his gears.

His brother nudged him. “Stop fidgeting.”

Ruston looked at his brother and dropped the hand at his neck. Despite being six years younger than Bancroft, Ruston was almost as tall as his brother who stood at 175cm tall. Ruston was often picked on in class, calling him names like giraffe and Eiffel Tower but one glare was all it took for them to back off.

The elevator dinged, reaching their intended destination. Even before the doors slid open, they could hear the chitter-chatter of those gathered, awaiting anyone higher in the hierarchy so they can kiss and boots.

Both brothers stepped off the elevator, Bancroft’s ever-ready smile already plastered on his face, greeting those who work for the company. Ruston on the other hand, cringed and grimaced as adults – people he didn’t know – grabbed at him, wanting to shake his hand.

Ruston willed for his brother to save him, but alas, the wave of people had separated them, and Ruston thought he was about to die before he heard the sweet singing sound of a stringed instrument in the air.

Saved by the violin.

While everyone was looking around, resembling meerkats, trying to find the source of the music, Ruston ducked and slipped away. Before he could get very far, he could hear the violin stop and a booming voice sounded over the PA system.

“Will all guests please return to your designated seats. The event is about to start. I repeat, will all guests please return to your designated seats. The event is about to start. Thank you.”

Letting out a breath, he loosened his tie slightly, he didn’t have claustrophobia but with the number of people trying to grab at him like he was Justin Bieber getting mobbed was out of this world. A suit and tie, he didn’t mind. But a three-piece-suit? For a teenager? He had to go to a tailor to get a custom-made suit. No other teenager he knew had to get a custom fit three-piece-suit. Well, other than his cousins.

Nobody cared about him when he was younger attending this event, but as he got older, the more people recognized his net worth and knew that when he grew up, like Bancroft, Ruston would one day take over the company. Hell, even at his young age, Ruston was already a shareholder of the DeLuca Group. Though he never attended the shareholder meetings, thankfully, he was a DeLuca and his bank account proved it; his trust fund proved it.

Ruston snapped out of his daydream and quickly jogged towards his seat in the ballroom. It was always the same one, the middle table, right in front of the stage, front row seats. His designated seat was the one in between his older brother, Bancroft and his younger brother, Topher. His sister, Reece, sat next to their mom on the other side.

He settled in his seat, smoothing out his suit, careful not to get it wrinkly. His family were already seated and waiting, his dad gave him a disappointed look disguised as a smile. Punctuality was important in the DeLuca family. Always be the first one in the room, don’t be 5 minutes late, be 10 minutes early.

Ruston gave his dad an apologetic bow of the head and leaned back, stretching his legs under the table. Topher tapped him on the knee, requesting his attention. He looked over to his left where Topher sat, his younger brother wore a similar suit but instead of the lavender tie he had on, Topher had on an olive tie.

“Where were you?” Topher asked. “Ban said you guys arrived together, but you disappeared.”

Ruston leaned down to whisper in his ear, “We were getting mobbed, so I let him have all the attention. I’m surprised he managed to fit his big head inside the ballroom with how much they up to him and inflated his ego.”

His younger brother giggled, making Ruston smile. Although only three years apart, it felt like a lifetime. Ruston was attending etiquette classes, French classes and a specialized class to teach the DeLuca children about the DeLuca Group, all while attending middle school, and with all that, he rarely had time for his younger siblings.

It was only during times like this did he have time to engage in casual banter with his siblings. The only thing he looked forward to during black-tie events.

Ruston zoned out all through the event, eating the dishes that were being served almost like a robot. It was between the fifth and the sixth course did they have a tiny break where everybody could get up and mingle, his dad made it a habit to greet every single table and shake hands with everyone out of courtesy, and his family was expected to be there with him.

By the eighth table, Ruston was getting bored and tired. His hands were feeling clammy from all the handshaking he had to do, and it did not help that the small talk his dad engaged in were extremely boring, nothing that interested him.

The ninth table came, and his dad amped up the friendliness.

“Natalia, welcome, welcome. I hope you’re enjoying the party. This is my family.” He gestured to his left, his right hand reaching out to shake the lady’s hand. “Guys, this is Natalia Reyes. Our newest affiliate.”

Starting with his mom, they all shook hands with Natalia, greeting her with a smile.

“You must be the oldest DeLuca boy, Bancroft,” Natalia said when she got to Ruston.

Ruston furrowed his brows. “No… I’m Ruston, the second child.”

Natalia gasped, cupping her hands to . “Oh my! I am so sorry! You looked like the oldest and with how tall you were, I just assumed. I apologize.”

Ruston’s eye twitched, sensing the apology to be not genuine at all. said sorry, but her eyes said kiss .

“Be nice to him,” his dad said, chuckling. “He might be your boss one day.”

“Oh?” the lady leaned over to him, one hand his arm. “Guess I’ll have to treat him extra special then.”

Ruston gave Natalia Reyes, the DeLuca Group’s latest affiliate’s CEO a once over before saying, “No thanks, I have zero plans on being a pimp when I grow up.”

Cormac Ruston DeLuca Junior; 14 years old

a/n: ( past ) teaser seven! we present ruston's past as an heir to the company. this also marks the end of our past teasers ( for now ) while we deliberate on who we choose as the final cast! stay tuned for that! there may or may not be teasers for each chosen applicant!