Prologue

To All The Girls That I've Loved

The buzzing of people crossing the streets. The honking of cars due to traffic in the middle of the day which causes irritation. It was 30 degrees celsius in Shanghai. The sun was blazing. The asphalt roads were scorching. The atmosphere was humid. Even Sunrui's coffee was hot, but she can't be bothered. She was in a coffee shop, drinking her cup of Americano, waiting for a friend who's late. She opened her Weibo to look at what's trending on her feed. Sunrui really loves the coffee shop vibes: The aroma of the coffee which soothes her, the jazz music being audibly played, the architectural design of the place, and not to mention the lightings that are pleasing to the eyes. She has felt the tranquility whenever she's at the coffee shop.

 

A couple of minutes had passed by; a woman wearing sunglasses, dark blazer with a blue striped shirt, knee-length dark pants, and a pair of white sneakers approached Sunrui. She took off her sunglasses and apologized for being late. "I'm sorry. It was traffic."

 

Sunrui put her phone down and gazed up. "Zhao Xiaotang, if you just came earlier, then you could have avoided the traffic. You know it's lunch time." She shot her a sharp look as if her eyes could blast lasers.

"Hey, don't give me that look. Did you hear me complain when you're late?" Xiaotang sat down and fixed her hair. She observed the ambiance of the place and thought that it was nice.

"Fair enough." She handed Xiaotang the menu.

Xiaotang read the menu. She wasn't that hungry but she was tempted to order since the pictures on the menu looked tasty.

Sunrui was drinking her coffee, observing Xiaotang whose eyes were pinned on the menu. "How are you? It's been 2 months already."

"I've been busy with work. I'm handling one of our family businesses." She looked at the menu thoroughly. "Oooh, this BLT looks delicious. I'll order this one. What do you like to order?"

"I'll get the same as yours."

"No. Pick a different one."

"I thought you're asking me?"

"Ah! How about pasta and red velvet cake. This is delicious, let's order it."

"Aiyama… "

"Don't worry, my treat." Xiaotang called the attention of the barista who was at the counter. She has alredy pinned her attention to them in case they will call her anytime.

"Ok. I like it when you say that." Sunrui replied.

The lady barista came over; she pulled her small notebook inside her pocket and picked her pen to list down the order.

"I'd like two BLT sandwiches, a slice of red velvet cake and blueberry cheesecake, and a carbonara frittata."

"Xiaotang, that's a lot. Who are you feeding, the lion?"

The barista smiled at Sunrui’s remark. She found it humorous. "Is that all?"

Xiaotang nodded.

"Do you need any drinks?"

"Maybe later."

"The order will take about 15 to 20 minutes, will that be ok?"

Xiaotang looked at the lady barista with a nice smile. The barista was flustered, she smiled back and returned to the counter.

"Aiyama~ what a flirt." Sunrui commented.

"What?!"

"I saw that sweet smile of yours."

Xiaotang's eyebrows furrowed by the accusation. "Sunrui, I was being polite."

"Ahh, polite my ." She laughed.

"People telling me I have a poker face. Now that I'm smiling to be polite, I'm called a flirt. That's not fair."

"I think she's your type."

"You know you're being ridiculous?"

"Zhao Xiaotang, we've been best friends since fifth grade.” Sunrui sipped her coffee. “Do you remember when we were freshmen in junior high school?”