A Proper Introduction

Snow Flower

N-Naeun," she stuttered.

Why she stuttered, Naeun wasn't sure. Perhaps it was the fact that his face was way too close for comfort. Her cheeks burned when he grinned and she had to take a step back, letting go of the breath she had been holding and avoided his gaze.

"So, wanna go for another round?"

She jolted her head up, "Huh?"

"You wanna go for another round or try a different slope?" Taemin repeated. She went quiet again, a little too long this time as Taemin’s bright smile turned into a confused expression. He turned his back around, thinking that someone was behind him, but no one was there. He furrowed his eyebrows, "You alright? What, Cat got your tongue? I'm starting to think kitty suits you,” he joked.

Naeun shook her head. "No, it's just...y-you shouldn't have skied pass me like that! What if we had crashed into each other?"

"Then I would've made sure you landed on me.”

The weather burned ten times hotter now. “So, do you want to, or not? We're losing sunlight here.” It was the third time he had asked Naeun, but before she could give him an answer, they heard someone calling Taemin's name. It was his friends and Eunji and Krystal? Naeun blinked her eyes several times, but they were there, walking alongside Taemin’s friends. That's when it dawned on her: Taemin's friends were her friends' tutors.

"Oh, sorry, were we interrupting something?" one of the boys teased. Naeun recognized him as the captain of the school's basketball team. "You could say that," Taemin replied. His friend chuckled before introducing himself to Naeun.

"The name's Kai," he said, bowing slightly at Naeun. She did the same to Kai, as well as with Key. The girls also introduced themselves to Taemin.

"We were about to grab some light refreshments," Eunji said.

"Care to join us, or are you not done with your date yet?" she wiggled her eyebrows as the word date slipped out of . Naeun glared at her, but Taemin only chuckled.

"I'll pass. I wanna try a few more slopes before we leave," Taemin said. He then looked at Kai and Key, "I'll meet you guys back at the bus station.” They nodded in reply before Taemin took off.

Krystal suddenly tugged Naeun's arm.

"Why not you go with him?" Her suggestion caught Naeun off guard, "Why?"

"Oh come on, I can tell you're not completely satisfied with snowboarding just yet. Why not go for a few more with your new friend?" Naeun didn't know how to respond. Krystal wasn't wrong, she wasn't satisfied yet, but whether or not she wanted to go snowboarding with Taemin's company was a question mark to the brunette. Naeun then remembered how she had to make up for ignoring his invitation thrice.

"Alright," she finally said. "Great!" Krystal cheered, “We'll meet you at the bus station too, alright?" Naeun gave her a nod and bid goodbye to the rest before running off to find Taemin. He shouldn't have gone too far. There was no way he could walk that fast with the heavy ski boots and gears he carried.

Am I too late?

"Looking for me?" Naeun turned around.

"Taemin!!" she exclaimed and a smile formed on his face.

"So, it's a date then?" he teased. It sounded more like a statement rather than a question.

"Don't push it," she said but not before she returned him with a very small, but clear smile. "Which slope were you headed off to?" Taemin pointed at the gondola that she previously rode.

"You know the ski lift in the middle of the slope we were at?" Naeun nodded, but if her memory was right, that lift led to a double black diamond slope.

She gulped, “You're going to ski there?"

"Have you never gone to one before?" Naeun shook her head.

"Care to try?” he smirked, but immediately wiped it off when she saw the clear fear in her eyes and quickly suggested a less steep slope for them to try.

"You sure?” she asked, “You did just say you wanted to try the double diamond.” Naeun was trying to put up a brave face that Taemin appreciated but waved off her question. "I've still got five days to try that big boy.”Naeun smiled and nodded at his alternative suggestion, grateful for Taemin's consideration.

"Kajja.”

 

~~~

 

As the two teenagers rode the gondola together, Naeun took off her helmet to fix her hair. Taemin noticed a rather large scar on the side of her head. "What happened?" he asked curiously. Naeun had gotten used to people asking about her scar. It was pretty obvious to the eyes unless she covered it with most of her hair. She placed a hand on it, "I got hit by a car two years ago.” She answered with such calmness that it surprised Taemin.

"Woah, what?" he exclaimed, but Naeun merely nodded, "I don't remember much about the incident, but the doctor told me that I was very lucky to have survived a hard impact with a scar and a few fractured bones.”

"You've got a pretty hard head then," Taemin mused, but Naeun heard him and giggled. As they got off the gondola and fastened their gear, Naeun stared at Taemin and smirked. "Race you, pretty boy," before snowboarding down the slope. All she could hear was a shout from Taemin before he skied down to try and catch up with her. They skied/snowboarded down multiple slopes when the sky began to darken. As agreed, they made their way to the bus station to meet up with their friends.

"I gotta admit, you're pretty good at skiing," Naeun said. Aside from her sister, Naeun had never played any winter sports with anyone else. She realized then that having one made snowboarding ten times more exciting, especially when they’re almost as good as she was.

Taemin scoffed, “Pretty good? Professionally good is more accurate.” Naeun rolled her eyes.

"You're not too bad yourself.” It was Naeun's turn to scoff.

"Not too bad? You're forgetting that I beat you, 3:2!"

"The first one doesn't count; you had a headstart!" Taemin whined. They laughed at their petty squabble.

Taemin hadn't had this much fun with a girl in a while. Most girls would try to sweep him off his feet at first glance, but not Naeun. She was the first girl he met to act normal around him. He couldn't help but feel intrigued by her and wanted to get to know her better.

 

~~~

 

The group decided to have dinner together at a steamboat restaurant that Krystal - obviously - mentioned once they reached the resort. As Naeun climbed onto the bus, she spotted L sitting at the very front. He smiled at her, but immediately frowned when he noticed Taemin behind her. The two locked eyes before L averted his gaze to his phone. They sat far away from him.

The restaurant was packed with students! Naeun and the others waited for a good twenty minutes before they got a table. They ordered all sorts of things. Despite their slim physique, the girls ate like kings which shocked and impressed the boys. Once stomachs were filled and plates were emptied clean, the six used the remaining time before closing time to get to know one another.

Key was the eldest among them and Krystal was the youngest. Taemin, Eunji, and Kai were childhood neighbors before Eunji moved a decade ago to another district. As they continued talking, Naeun unconsciously observed each boy. She understood why the trio was named the "The Golden Flowers" of their high school. Kai, being a jock, looked well-built despite the layers of clothes he wore. In contrast to Taemin's pale skin, Kai's was tanned (probably from all the outdoor activities) and his face was sculpted. He almost looked like art.

Correction, she thought. He is art.

Speaking of art, she looked at the young man who was known for his artistic talents, Kim Kibum. He was smaller compared to Taemin and Kai but he radiated beauty and grace. His gestures and the way he spoke was almost like he was describing art itself and Naeun knew because she too was an art-fanatic. He spoke softly to people but loud enough for them to hear him. People could mistake him as a pianist for his long, slender fingers, but that also meant he could firmly hold a brush and gently it swiftly. Both realized they aimed to enroll in the same art university. And finally, the King himself, Lee Taemin.

Her breath hitched. Taemin was a mix of both Key and Kai. Well-built, but composed grace in his body language. His skin was pale as snow, his eyes flared with ambition and his smile... Naeun suddenly remembered the way he smiled at her when she ran after him and her face, once again, burned. She believed it could melt the coldest of hearts.

Naeun didn't realize how long she'd been staring at Taemin until Eunji snapped her fingers in front of her.

"Huh, what?" Naeun said.

"I said, are you ready to go back, or do you want to drool over Taemin a little longer?" The entire table burst in laughter except for Taemin who looked a little pink, and Naeun who wished she could disappear.

"I was not staring at him! I was just thinking about something," Naeun defended.

"Or, someone?" Eunji teased.

"Cough Taemin Cough," Krystal joined in. Naeun swore she looked as red as a tomato.

The table burst in laughter once again.

~~~

"So, how'd the skiing/snowboarding go with you and Taemin?" Eunji asked in amusement. They had just arrived back at their hotel room. "It was alright, I guess," Naeun replied as she peeled off her face mask. Just because you're living in the mountains for a week, doesn't mean you should leave your skin unattended. "He is a good skier," she continued. "Scratch that, a really good skier. He wanted to ski down a double black diamond, Eunji. Can you believe that?"

Eunji hummed in amusement. "Handsome and courageous. I think you've caught a pretty hefty fish.” Naeun snapped her head to her friend, "Unnie!" Eunji laughed at Naeun's reaction.

"If you think he's so great, why not you date him?" she hit her back.

"Is that jealousy I sense?" Eunji replied. She heard Naeun groan and laughed again.

"Relax, sister, I'm only teasing, and to answer your question, I'll pass. He's not my type and besides," Eunji continued, her back on her bed, staring at the ceiling, "There's someone else in mind," much softer this time. Naeun's cat-like ears caught it, "WHO?!" and jumped on Eunji's bed. She avoided Naeun’s twinkling gaze.

"Is it Kai? Key?" the last word caused Eunji's lips to curl up. "OH MY GOD, IT IS KEY!" Eunji then quickly covered Naeun's mouth with her hand. "Keep your voice down," she hissed. "I don't want the rest of the hotel to know that I have a crush on the Art prodigy".

Eunji explained to Naeun that Key was her mentor and explained how patient and encouraging he was with her. Not to mention, he was really good with words. Eunji had the shortest temper out of all three of them, so she was impressed at how calm and collective Key was throughout her learning. She and Key were even the ones who suggested having dinner together. Hearing the way Eunji described Key warmed Naeun's heart, but the annoying tug in her heart had returned and she frowned. Eunji noticed and asked what was wrong. She let out a sigh. This was Eunji she was talking to - her childhood and best friend and she admired Eunji's bravery and maturity. If Naeun wanted to tell someone about the strange feeling she'd been having, it’d be Eunji.

"Eunji, have you ever thought of when you'll meet your 'knight and shining armor'?" Eunji chuckled before she replied, "Of course I have, why do you ask?"

"It's just, ever since I started noticing how close Daniel and Jihyo are, I don't know, I just started wondering when I'll find mine and how I'll know if he's the one.”

"You don't," Eunji replied bluntly. That was definitely not the answer Naeun expected. She looked down before hearing Eunji continue speaking, "Naeun, there's no doubt that someone out there will love you and protect you, treat you like a queen, and care for you always, but I can't tell you exactly how you'll know if he's the one; No one can. The most important question to think about is, are you ready for such commitment? If you know you are, then he'll be closer to you than you think," and winked at Naeun.

Naeun never thought of that question: Was she ready?

"I think I'm going to go to the lobby to get some fresh air," Naeun said.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Eunji offered. Naeun appreciated her kindness but shook her head. She needed time alone to think about what Eunji made her realize.

"Alright, but don't forget about curfew," Eunji reminded Naeun before she waved goodbye.

The hotel lobby didn't look as luxurious as most hotel lobbies in the city, but it sure was cozy. There was a fireplace near one of the bay windows she sat on that was covered in soft blankets and pillows. It was a full moon that night and Naeun swore she had never seen so many twinkling stars covering the night sky.

If only Seoul were as beautiful as this, she thought.

"Beautiful isn't it?" a familiar voice said.

Naeun jolted straight up. She peered to see who stood a few meters from her but it was too dark. He came closer.

"Relax kitty," he said.

At the mention of the name, she immediately thought it was Taemin but as the moonlight reflected the color of his hair, it wasn't raven, but brown. Could it be Kai?

It wasn't him either. She glared at the now smirking young man.

"L."