"I Remember..."

Snow Flower

Two days had passed; Naeun had not awoken.

Taemin barely slept, barely ate, barely left her side. Saeeun and Mommy Son visited them on both days with home-cooked meals prepared for Taemin.

“You will need your strength when she wakes up,” Mommy Son said to him. Taemin had assured them that he would stay by her side until she woke. With the restaurant still bustling like every typical day, it was difficult for her and Saeeun to watch over Naeun, much less the distance between the hospital and their home. Mommy Son was eternally grateful for Taemin and so, returned the favor with food (Who would reject home-cooked food, anyway?).

All-day, all night, he’d been sitting beside her bed, hoping, praying that she would wake up. On the second day, his prayers were answered but not in the way he had supposed. He was on his way back to Naeun’s room after grabbing another cup of coffee when a scream came from inside.

Taemin dropped his cup, “Naeun-ah!”

Naeun desperately gasped for air, sweat running down every inch of her face.

“I remember,” she mumbled to herself. Someone grabbed her from the side. Naeun was too shocked and traumatized that she shoved the person away, “Get away from me!” she hissed, but once her vision became clear, her eyes softened.

“T-Taemin Oppa?” she checked her surroundings, “W-Where am I?”

“Hospital,” he simply replied before approaching her again, “Are you-”

“Don’t touch me!” she warned, curling her body away from him, “Please,” she whispered, (Cue In Silence, OST). Taemin dropped his arms down and so did his heart.

“What did he do to you?” he asked softly, but the rage was distinct in his tone.

Naeun began to recall every encounter she had with L - his voice, his touch, his outburst, his eyes -, “It wasn’t a dream,” she mumbled to herself again. She recalled L lashing out on her, shaking her to admit she remembered him. She thought he was delirious at that time, but now she knew, “It was real…”

She couldn’t look at Taemin in the eye. The door slid open again; it was the doctor

“Naeun-ssi?” she called to her, “How are you feeling, Naeun-ssi?”

Horrible, of course! Can’t you see that I’m trembling like a fool? She wanted to snap at her but knew better not to.

“I-I don’t know.”

She looked traumatized, and the doctor immediately knew why. Her CT scan detected partial memory loss from the accident she had. How her previous doctor did not sense it, she wasn’t sure.

“Taemin-ssi,” she turned to him, “Apologies, but I need you to wait outside for a moment.”

“Is she alright?” Taemin asked the doctor, whose nametag read Dr.Song, as he exited the door.

“We can only tell once she’s ready to speak to me about what’s traumatizing her,” but Taemin knew right away who was responsible for it.

I’m going to kill him.

When Ms. Song slid the door closed, she walked back to Naeun.

“What happened, Ms. Son?”

~~~

 

As promised, Taemin contacted Daniel and everyone else. Naeun’s family would be arriving late since the restaurant was still open for another three hours. Dan and Saeeun were helping Mommy Son manage the place.

Key and Eunji were the first to arrive. They saw Taemin sitting outside, looking solemn. Eunji approached him, “Is she okay?” He nodded, face still grim.

“Can we see her?”

“She’s sleeping.”

Taemin’s sudden coldness surprised Eunji. She had never seen him act cold or looked so hollow. He looked like a different person from the boy she took pictures of and played snowball fights with.

Key stepped forward, “Kwenchana?”

“What did the doctor say?” Eunji pressed.

“Amnesia,” he whispered.

“That accident Naeun had,” he continued, louder this time, “did she not say anything about amnesia to you?” Eunji’s shocked face answered his question. Either she kept it to herself, or she didn’t know about it either.

“But she didn’t forget anything,” Eunji frowned, “I was there when she woke up from the accident. Her family was too. The doctor didn’t say anything about amnesia, only a concussion, and a few fractured bones.”

Taemin briefly told them about Naeun’s secret relationship with L - how they kept it a secret from everyone, how his jealousy broke them apart, and how the car accident made her forget everything about him.

“L’s violent behavior must’ve propelled Naeun’s mind and body to remember her lost memories,” Key commented. Taemin stood up, his eyes darkening, “I’m gonna kill him.” He didn’t travel far when Key stopped him.

“Yah, don’t act rash.”

Act rash?

“He scarred her!” Taemin snapped at him.

“So, you think beating the out of him is gonna make the situation better?” Taemin had never heard Key raise his voice, so it came as a shock when he did, “What good would that do to you huh?! To Naeun?! You’d be no better than L!”

Once Key had calmed himself down, he continued, “Right now, Naeun is the one who needs you.”

“She won’t even look at me,” Taemin retorted.

“Give her time,” Key replied, and released Taemin’s arm as Taemin reluctantly slumped back onto the chair.

 

~~~

 

“How could you have kept it from me?” Mommy Son frowned at her daughter. In all her life, Naeun was perceived as an honest and intelligent girl. Who would’ve thought that the two would work together against her mother, manipulating both truths and lies so as not to arouse suspicions?

“It was stupid of me; I know that now,” Naeun replied to her mother. She didn’t dare to look at her disappointing expression. Mommy Son was restraining herself from shouting at her daughter and wanting to sue the man behind her trauma, but she had to keep herself composed, at least until Naeun felt better; the sudden memory still shook her.

The doctor informed Mommy Son that Naeun would be discharged from the hospital tomorrow morning. She had convinced everyone, especially Taemin, to return home and rest while she stayed with Naeun. They still had many things to discuss. Saeeun stayed with Daniel’s family that night.

“That boy is not going to get away with this; I hope you know that,” Mommy Son told Naeun. She was glad, of course. Although the incident happened two years ago, it felt like it had just happened yesterday. When Naeun asked her mother what charges she’d be pressing on him, she replied to Naeun, “He will be charged with attempted and assault. I’m not sure what the punishments are for those two, but rest assured, you won’t be seeing him for a long time.” Naeun sighed in relief as she played with her fingers.

“You know, you gave the poor boy a scare.”

Naeun snapped her head back up, “Taemin Oppa?” Her mother smiled at the sound of Oppa.

“He helped me watch over you while we were still busy with the restaurant. Not once did he leave your side. I had to stop by to make sure he’s had proper meals while staying here.”

And I returned the favor by giving him the cold shoulders.

Naeun’s expression darkened, Son Naeun, you pabo girl.

“Eomma,” she sobbed, “Mian-hae.”

Mommy Son looked sympathetically at her daughter. After what she had gone through, how could she stay mad at her? She got up from her seat and hugged Naeun close, whispering comforting words to her.

Naeun didn’t contact anyone since her discharge. She ignored every call and message from Eunji and Krystal. She wanted to talk to Taemin, to apologize to him, but her restlessness and contemplation of her lost past made it impossible. She heard a soft knock at her door.

“Unnie,” it was Saeeun, “Your friends are here to see you.” Krystal and Eunji had been visiting Naeun’s house since she left the hospital, but she refused to meet them. It was selfish and rude of her, and she hated herself for it, but all she wanted was some time alone. Naeun did not reply. 

“Unnie, you can’t keep doing this,” Saeeun said to her. Mommy Son, who stood next to her, knew her youngest daughter was right. As much as she understood Naeun’s need for closure, she couldn’t keep ignoring her worried friends. Taemin came over once as well, offering them a bag of peaches - Naeun’s favorite fruit -, but like the girls, Naeun couldn’t bring herself to see him yet.

“Naeun-ah, how long are you going to barricade yourself in your room? Your friends, they’re worried about you. You have not even touched the peaches Taemin brought over; they’ll rot if you don’t eat them.”

Naeun unlocked her door. It had only been a few days since her return from the resort, yet she looked much thinner than when Mommy Son visited her at the hospital. Naeun barely ate, and the only times she left her room was to either to use the restroom or have meals with them (which she barely touched).

Mommy Son put her hands on Naeun’s shoulders, “You’re worrying me as well.” Naeun lowered her head down.

Mommy Son sighed, “Come to the dining room; we need to talk.”

 

~~~

 

Mommy Son prepared hot tea and cut the ripe peaches for Naeun. She went straight to the subject, “I do not approve of what you did, but that was in the past.” Naeun didn’t look at her, but she listened, “You’re eighteen now. I’ve seen how much you’ve grown and matured. Yes, you feel awful for what you did, but again, it’s in the past - you know now that what you did was wrong, and you confessed to me about it.” She held Naeun’s hands, “No one condemns you for it, so please, do not condemn yourself.”

The tears came out again. No matter how much braver and more confident Naeun had become, her heart remained soft - a heart of gold that shatters easily.

The only thing that helped ease Naeun’s troubled mind was her diary. She wrote every day - twice, sometimes. Mommy Son had received a call from the police who informed her of L’s trial date. Naeun would have to face him one last time. She couldn’t help but overthink about the upcoming event and heaved a sigh once she finished jotting down her last sentence.

BUZZ, BUZZ...

It was Taemin.

Naeun was about to end the call when she remembered her mother’s words during their pep talk:

“Do not push away the people who want to help you. Don’t make the same mistake your father made.”

A simple piece of advice that she knew but was too stubborn to follow.

“Hello?”

“Naeun-ah,” from the way he called her, Taemin had not expected her to accept his call.

“Hey,” she said again, softer this time.

The line was silent for a while. Neither Taemin nor Naeun knew what to say, or ask.

Naeun broke the silence first, “H-how are you?” and heard him chuckle.

“I should be the one asking you that.” Her lips curved up slightly.

“You snooze, you lose,” and Taemin chuckled again.

“I’ve missed your voice,” he whispered.

She tried to reply to him without breaking but failed, “I miss you too,” her voice hoarse.

“Are you at home?” he asked, “What are you doing right now?” She wiped her tears before replying, “Yeah, I’m at home relaxing in my room,” she laughed.

“I’ve missed your laugh,” he teased.

Naeun’s cheeks warmed, “Stop it,” she whispered.

“Mian-hae, mian-hae,” Taemin chuckled.

Naeun pursed her lips, “No, I should be the one who’s sorry. I guess I made you all very worried, huh? Kai and Key too?”

“Eung..” Taemin replied, “Krystal kept pestering me to call and text you. The boys have been asking about you too. I’m sorry I didn’t check on you often; I wanted to give you some time alone.”

You stayed by my side while I was at the hospital, and brought over my favorite comfort food. You’ve done more for me than you think. Naeun wanted to say that, but worry that if she did, she might end up crying again.

“You don’t have to be sorry about anything,” she said.

“Are you hungry?” he suddenly asked, “Eunji told me you haven’t been eating much.” At that moment, her stomach growled.

“A little bit,” she admitted

“What are you craving for?” Taemin knew the answer to that, but he wanted to keep hearing her voice.

“Beef,” she replied.

Taemin chuckled again, “How does barbeque sound?” and Naeun’s stomach growled even louder. She could already taste the juicy meat in . She looked outside and had to admit, she was getting restless from lying in bed all week.

“Sure, when?” she replied. Perhaps what Naeun needed was some fresh air to stop herself from moping around.

And probably friends too...

“Now,” Taemin replied. She frowned in confusion.

“It’s already 11 pm, silly.” No restaurants would be open past that time in their area.

Suddenly, someone knocked on her door.

“Hang on,” Naeun said as she walked to her door. She trudged back.

“T-Taemin?!”

~~~

(60 minutes ago…)

“She’s like a bird trapped in a cage!” Krystal burst, “Except this little bird doesn’t want to be set free!”

Taemin swore he’d go deaf if Krystal kept screaming through his phone.

“Please Taemin-ssi,” she begged, “She barely eats, barely gets out of her room, much less her bed. If anyone can get through her steel-walled heart, it’s you. Try talking to her again.”

Taemin didn’t say no to Krystal’s request, but it wasn’t a yes either. He lay back on his bed, contemplating.

“If Naeun refuses to see her best friends in the whole universe, what makes her think me calling her would do anything,” he mumbled.

Because you mean so much more to her than you think, his heart answered.

Taemin stared at his rosary bracelet. His mother gave it to him on his sixteenth birthday, said it was some sort of ‘tradition’ that each member of the Lee family would receive one from their parents. He had never paid much attention to his bracelet until he bought a similar one at the resort for Naeun.

“Taemin,” his mother slightly opened his door, “You didn’t come down to dinner with us. Is everything alright?”

“I wasn’t hungry,” he replied before turning his back to her.

Mrs. Lee sat next to her gloomy son, “What’s bothering you, Tae?”

“Don’t you have some work to do?” He shot back, colder than he expected.

“Lee Taemin, that is no way to speak to your mother!”

He sighed before sitting back up again, “I’m sorry, it’s just-”

“It’s about Naeun, isn’t it?” Ms.Lee knew about her son’s feelings for her. The fact that he refused to leave her side for two days was more than enough proof of that.

“She’s just been having it really rough, and I’m not sure how to help her,” Taemin said. He explained to his mom how he had gone to visit her with a box full of peaches, and texted her yesterday morning, both of which Naeun ignored. Ms. Lee went to grab his phone and handed it to him.

“Try again.”

Taemin frowned, “Were you not listening, mom? She doesn’t want to talk to anyone, not even her best friends! What makes you think she’ll answer me?”

Taemin’s mother merely shrugged, “Call it a woman’s instinct. If this girl likes you as much as you do, she won’t be able to ignore you for long. After all, third time’s the charm, yes?” and winked at him.

“Just give it a shot,” she said before giving Taemin a peck on the cheek and leaving his room.

As Taemin was about to press the call button, he thought of an idea that would make sure she’d still talk to him should the phone call backfire. He quickly dialed another number.

“Jongin-ah, I need your help.”

“If it’s got something to do with getting Naeun out, I’m all ears,” Kai replied.

Taemin smiled, “Here’s what I need you to do…”