A Very Unexpected Introduction

Snow Flower

The seniors gathered at the school cafeteria for lunch after they were given a briefing by their Headmaster regarding their ski trip.

Unfortunately, the buses would be delayed by a few hours due to some miscommunication and technical difficulties, so they'd only arrive at school in the late afternoon. That meant one day of fun was gone. Everyone was pretty bummed out about it but since they had the entire week at the resort, their disappointment wore off quickly.

Naeun had already eaten a heavy brunch before she came to school, so she opted for a carton of banana milk. The school's cafeteria was made to fit the entire cohort and despite it being less crowded than usual, Naeun still had trouble searching for her cousin, Kang Daniel. She did spot Jihyo, Dan's girlfriend, along with the rest of her classmates. She wasn't close to them but close enough to be comfortable around them.

A few minutes had gone by when she finally spotted Daniel as he walked his way towards their table. He looked to be in a cheerful mood which was odd considering his mundane thoughts on winter sports, much less the season itself.When Naeun averted her gaze to Jihyo, she made a mental note to keep an eye on the two lovebirds. She trusted the couple and supported their relationship but being the older cousin and classmate, it was a natural instinct for her to remain wary of them.

Dan was just a few feet away from their table when something caused him to crash to the rough tile, his food flying in all directions. The people around the collapsed boy turned their heads at him. Jihyo was about to run after Dan when a snicker from the table next to Naeun's disrupted the silence. She let out a low scoff.

Of course, she thought. The star playboy, champion of all heart-breakers, and the roughest, meanest jackass of Gangnam High: Kim Myungsoo but most people addressed him as L. Why? Nobody knew and Naeun didn't really care. She shouldn't be surprised that L was the one who tripped Dan. The said boy enjoyed messing with people to get some 'fun' in his life.

"Careful there Danny boy," he mocked, "Wouldn't want your precious body to get hurt before your girlfriend gets to taste em now, would we?"

Eunji scoffed, Krystal glared, and Naeun wanted to hurl. Jihyo's face turned red as a tomato. Naeun couldn't tell if she was blushing or fuming. Mumbling a curse, Dan got up and took the closest milk carton from where he stood. He walked towards L.

"You're right, Myung soo" he said, dragging the last two words as he poured the milk over him. L's eyes grew wide with fury.

Pabo, Naeun's mind screamed as the whole cafeteria gasped:

"He's screwed."

"Oh shiiittttt."

"This is gonna be interesting."

Dan squeezed every drop of the white liquid on L's now soggy hair and shirt.

"And we wouldn't want all that soft, silky hair of yours to fall off now, would we? Best to keep it wet and moist, don't you think?" He lightly patted L's cheek.

It all happened too quickly. The second Naeun's eyes blinked, L and Dan were on the floor with L pinning him to the ground. He threw punches after punches till Dan's nose bled, his teeth smudged in red, and his cheeks blushed in blue and purple. L was beating the living daylights out of the poor guy!

As though her body had a mind of its own, Naeun sprung herself out of her chair and the next thing she knew, she was standing near her beaten cousin with L on the ground. She had kicked him off of Dan and from the way L clenched his oblique, it was a huge hit..

Dang, didn't know I had it in me.

She quickly reached down to check on her fallen cousin but as she did, L had regained his stance. She stopped him, blocking his way to Dan.

"Move," L growled, gritting his teeth so hard, they would shatter.

To say that this teenage boy terrified Naeun was an understatement. She had heard of things L had said to people; things L had done to them. The punches he threw at Dan were nothing from the rumors she'd heard about him. Terror took hold of Naeun's body, causing her to quiver slightly. Fear was obvious in her eyes, but she refused to let Dan take another whoop from L.

He growled at her again, slower this time, "I said move."

"Go ahead," Naeun growled back, surprised she could even muster such a tone. For a minute, L's face looked surprised but he quickly covered it with a deathly glare.

What are you doing, Son Naeun?! Are you asking for a death wish or something?! Her inner consciousness was going ballistic. She was taking action without thinking but Naeun carried on, turning her face slightly to the right.

"Give it your best shot."

There's no way he'd hit a girl, right..? Oh, Son Naeun you are DONE for!

Pabo, pabo, PABO!!

Blinded by fury, L raised his fist into the air before crashing it down to meet Naeun square in the face. She braced for the impact that was to come but she felt nothing.

Was it too painful that I passed out? She heard an unfamiliar growl near her, "Easy there L before you really regret it." Naeun slowly opened her eyes and they widened tenfold when she saw the person standing before her.

Lee Taemin. He had caught L's fist in the nick of time.

Before L could retaliate, two of his friends dragged him away from Taemin, knowing very well the consequences they would face should L were to give the slightest bruise to his face. L let out a scream as he shoved his friends, cursed at Taemin before stomping out of the cafeteria, his friends tailing right behind him.

Taemin turned to Naeun, "Brave girl you are," he complimented, "but also stupid."

It was like being hit by a baseball bat to the head. "I'm sorry, what?" Taemin continued on, "did you honestly think he wouldn't dare to break a few of your precious teeth?". Naeun's eyes darkened, "I didn't need your help," she hissed, folding her arms. He scoffed at her, "Sure you didn't," and walked back to his seat, all eyes still on him.

RUDE MUCH?! He didn't even have the courtesy to ask if I was alright!

Naeun stomped back to her table where Daniel's wounds were being treated by Jihyo. He told the two girls that he refused to file a report to the Headmaster about L's outburst, thinking that it would just worsen his 'pride as a man.'

Naeun, being a pushover, and Jihyo, too worried about her boyfriend's injuries, reluctantly complied.

 

~~~

 

Hours had passed and it was finally time for the seniors to head to the resort.

The girls made sure they sat far away from the still fuming L. Naeun sat with Eunji while Krystal sat next to her sister, Jessica, their alumni and /staff member of the resort. In front of Naeun was Taemin and sitting beside him was Gangnam's hot jock-star, Kai. She peeked at Taemin's phone and saw that he was listening to She likes spring, but I prefer winter by slchld.

What a coincidence, she thought, looking at her phone that showed the exact same title on its screen.

I wonder if there are more things in common between the two of us. She mentally smacked herself in the head.

You don't even know the dude! Just by name and the fact that every girl would kill to be his - or any of his two guy friends - to be their boyfriends.

Naeun let out a sigh which earned her a concerned look from Eunji. Naeun smiled and whispered to her that she was fine. As she gazed out the window, she could've sworn she caught Taemin and Kai turning their heads behind. She shrugged it off. Perhaps it was just a trick of the light. Jessica had informed the students that the journey to the resort was over two hours. Since Naeun wasn't able to get a lot of rest the night before with all the excitement, she upped her Spotify volume and drifted off to sleep.