Serenity

Snow Flower

The floors of Gangnam High lay still as night. Windows were shut, lights were off, and desks lay vacant. Not a single soul walked through the corridors. Every inch of the building lay lifeless. Every room except the main hall.

Today was a special day for many special people; graduation day.

Cue We're All In This Together Graduation Mix (once a wildcat, always a wildcat :'>)

The hall was decorated with ribbons of red and gold. A crowd of bouquets decorated the center staircase of the stage as a crimson red carpet draped below it, flowing its way to the entrance. On both sides of the carpet, thousands of tiffany chairs aded the wooden floors. Robes of red sat on top of them, bright faces plastered on every one of their faces as they eagerly await the declaration of becoming high school graduates. They had come far and struggled through many trials and tribulations to be where they were and where they would be in the coming months.

As the valedictorian, Naeun had to prepare a speech for her peers. She was nervous, of course, but it was nothing compared to the speech she had to make under the presence of a judge and a feisty lawyer.

So much had happened since the day of judgment: she was the talk of the school for weeks! News spread like the plague. It hadn't even been a week since the trial, yet nearly everyone in school knew who Naeun was. Some pitied her while others looked up to her but a small handful of them envied her as well. Not only did she have a secret fling with L, but Naeun was also now dating the most popular guy in school. Many delusional admirers believed Taemin was only dating her out of pity or that he was dared to date her, but their childish beliefs shattered when Taemin publicly asked Naeun at the school cafeteria if she would go with him as his prom date after surprising her with a huge birthday party filled with balloons, confetti, and an enormous strawberry shortcake. The memories made the brunette smile. As Headmaster Han was finishing his speech, she felt a tight squeeze on her hand.

"Good luck," he whispered. Naeun squeezed his hand back, mouthing a 'thank you' before climbing up on stage. She heard her classmates, especially her Golden boys and girls whistling and screaming her name. She appreciated their cheers and it helped calm her nerves down a little. Lightly tapping the microphone to double-check it was working, Naeun began her speech.

"For many of us, we were told that high school would be the most important year of our future." She thought back to the time when everyone crowded themselves with papers and books, pens and markers, notes and flashcards. It was a deadly period for all the seniors but the sufferings paid off in the end, at least for her and her friends: they were all accepted to their dream universities. "We were also told that it would be one of the best years of our lives to create memories of our youths," and looked at the group of friends whom she had grown to love and cherish.

"I'm pretty sure most of you focused on the second point rather than the first," she joked, and small peals of laughter filled the room. "We often wonder what the future holds for us now. A few of you may have had everything settled like a manual, which is a great thing, but for most of us, it remains a mystery and that's okay too. This is our time to be adventurous - to try new things; to get out of our comfort zone and expose ourselves to what the world brings." Her confident, determined expression softened as she locked eyes with the boy she loved.

"This is our time to become better than who we were then. Made mistakes? Made irrational decisions? That's okay! That's the road to strength and the road to a better life. Though it saddens many of us to leave the building that built our foundations, let us also welcome the beginning of a new story in our lives and live every moment of it with a cheerful heart. Congratulations class of 2021; we did it!" she squealed and everybody rose in applause.

"Students," Headmaster Han spoke. Despite being headmaster at Gangnam High for almost twenty years, the step of letting his students whom he had watched over and grown in the last four years made his heart heavy. "Please rise," and they rose. "Move your tassels from right to left," and all hands were lifted to do so.

"Congratulations Gangnam High graduates!"

Hats were tossed in the air, and cheers, squeals, and whistles shook the room like a volcanic eruption.

They looked at one another.

They had made it.

Squeezing each other's arms tightly, tears formed and sobs choked.

"My mascara's all smudged," Krystal whined.

 

~~~

 

Despite spring's arrival, Naeun continued wearing her pinewood scarf to warm herself from the still chilly breeze that passed through the balcony. As she welcomed the fresh air into her nostrils, warm, strong arms coiled their way around her waist. "Enjoying the view?" he purred, chin resting on her shoulder. Naeun would've felt the pointy pressure if it weren't for her scarf.

Naeun nodded.

Taemin's balcony had one of the nicest views Naeun had seen of Seoul. She supposed that was one of the perks of living in a high-rise apartment. She noticed his choice of clothes: An oversized blouse with sweatpants.

"Pabo, you'll catch a cold if you don't wear something warmer," Naeun lightly scolded.

A chuckle came from Taemin as he buried his face in her scarf.

"Five more minutes," he muffled.

Naeun rolled her eyes but smiled.

"We're going to be late for our date," she reasoned with him gently, "Come on," and pulled him back inside.

The date was simple: a picnic at Han River. The couple never had the chance to go there during winter with the freezing temperature and everything, so it was the perfect date - in Naeun's mind - for the first day of spring.

Naeun prepared all sorts of food from fruits to egg rolls to even galbi -Taemin was both amazed and excited.

"As expected from the daughter of a brilliant chef," he complimented, kissing his fingers like he'd seen the French do when he tasted her food. Naeun blushed at his remark but truthfully, she feared cooking due to (yet another) a traumatic accident that involved boiling water and searing hot metal pans. Their picnic was the only reason that convinced her to overcome her trauma (again) and practice cooking.

Naeun didn't realize how hungry Taemin must've been until she saw him gobble his galbi like it's the last meal he would have. He made weird noises as he ate that Naeun couldn't swallow her food without choking from laughing too much. After they kept their picnic gears in the car, they went for a stroll across the river.

To Naeun's surprise, few people were visiting the river. Normally, the place would be bustling with bikes, joggers, and picnic mats laid across the grassy field. The river was also a favorite tourist attraction, so it was rare to see the area quiet. Naeun loved it. Being around Taemin filled her heart with joy but she loved it even more if there weren't so many people around them.

I made a good choice to come here today, she thought proudly.

They rested at a park bench to give their legs a break.

Taemin was checking his phone to see if there were any exciting movies for them to watch later that evening.

"Oppa," she said. He hummed in response.

She lifted her head from his shoulders which averted Taemin's attention from his phone to her.

"I just realized something," she said, "You've never asked me that question back."

He furrowed his brows in confusion, "What question?"

"'What am I to you?'" she replied.

Taemin made a silent 'oh' with his mouth. He chuckled, "Why? Is there something you want me to know?"

"Plenty."

Naeun stared deeply into his eyes as if doing it would transfer every moment, every memory she had of Taemin into his mind.

He kept his phone, "Alright...What am I to you, Son Naeun?"

"My sanctuary," she answered simply, "For so long, I've never felt so safe and protected around someone. You were always there when I needed you, you saved me from the troubles I've faced, and you stood by me every step of the way even when I ignored you and pushed you away. When I'm with you, all of my problems disappear - I feel safe, loved, and happy. Back at court, when I thought all hope was lost, I looked at you and saw a glimpse of a possible future with you." Naeun couldn't believe she was confessing the vision she had but this was Taemin she was speaking to and she wanted him to know.

"The vision I saw gave me the strength to break through the layer of fear that held me back." Naeun thought of the night he opened his heart to her, telling her he loved her and wanted to care for her.

"Back then, I wondered how I would know if the man I fall for was the one for me; if he was what I wanted in a man. At first, I thought you were a cold, heartthrob jackass who goes around and break women's heart but now, I see you as a soldier - ready to protect and care for the people you love."

"Nado saranghaeyo, Taemin Oppa," her voice so soft that Taemin barely caught it but his happiness grew tenfold.

"Jinjja?" His voice quivered, but a huge smile was plastered on his face. It made Naeun giggle.

"Eung," she nodded, "You may not be everything I wanted in a guy, but you are what I need. I love you and if fate lets us, I want to be by your side for the rest of my life too - to care for you and make you happy and loved."

"Saranghaeyo, Taemin Oppa," she repeated.

"Keep saying that and I might go crazy," he blushed, covering his face with his hands. Taemin wasn't used to the joyous feeling his heart and soul felt.

"Nado Saranghae, Nang-ni." His eyes twinkled like the stars as he closed the gap between them.

The static Naeun felt from their first kiss returned. Back then, everything was still new to her. Many things ran through her mind - she wondered if she was kissing Taemin right, or if she seemed hesitant to deepen the kiss. Now, she realized to just embrace the moment; to savor his soft lips that fit into hers, to let go of every tension in her body and melt into his embrace; feel his comfort, his warmth, his love, his touch.

To Naeun, that was the perfect kiss.

Don't think, just feel.

The reign of winter had finally come to an end. The grass and leaves arrived like cake frosting, covering the ground and trees with emerald greens. Flowers bloomed wide open to greet the once gloomy grey sky that had gained back its sea-blue hue. Though it saddened Naeun to bid her favorite season farewell, she couldn't wait for the start of the new season. Granted, her winter was full of excitement and love, but it also held gruesome moments she wished she could forget. Nevertheless, those nightmares no longer haunted her.

Like 'the flower that bloomed in adversity', she too bloomed to be the most beautiful of all, and as Taemin had said long ago, she did indeed grow to be a stronger and wiser young woman. Spring resembled the beginning of a new life. Naeun didn't expect her new life with Taemin to be all colors and rainbows, but she was most certain that it would be a life she wouldn't regret.

 

~The End~

 

Andddd that's a wrap!! (Or is it...)

Anyway, thank you all SO MUCH for supporting me through my first ever fanfiction. I really appreciate each and every one of your comment(s). Thank you for your patience and time to read my story <3

I'm planning to write an epilogue/sequel-ish book separately so, do stick around if you're wishing for more fluff, romance, and fun!

slowmmo334/giasukendro signing off

And as always, TAEUN2020...ASSEMBLE!!

BYE!