The Beginning of Everything

Snow Flower

The cold wind galloped its way through the busy streets of Seoul, its trees displaying their exposed arms as white fluffs piled on top of them. That only meant one thing on Naeun's to-do list:

"SNOWBOARD TIME!!!" she cheered.

For the first week of her winter break, Naeun's school, Gangnam High, had planned a one week stay at Seoul's new ski resort, Starlight, and Naeun couldn't control her excitement. It'd been a while since she last snowboarded, so she couldn't wait to feel the adrenaline rush again as she sleds down the hills. The thought of smores, sipping hot cocoa as she and her friends sat next to the fireplace also crossed Naeun's mind. She didn't realize how long she'd been daydreaming until she spotted the school's iconic cherry blossom trees that surrounded the entrance. They were as of now, but once spring arrives, they'd bloom into bright colors of pink.

"Thanks for the ride, mom," Naeun said as she gave her a peck on the cheek before unbuckling her seatbelt and exiting the car.

"You have fun now but be very careful too, alright?" her mother replied. Naeun gave her a nod before she closed the door and bid her goodbye as the car exited the school gate.

"Naeun!!" a familiar voice called her from behind. A tall, slender brunette stood a few feet from her, her sweater white as the snow beneath them. It was none other than her childhood best friend, Jeong Eunji.

"Unnie!" Naeun waved back at Eunji before running towards her.

"Are you eggcited to go snowboarding?" Naeun joked.

Eunji giggled, "You need to work on your jokes there girl." A slight blush appeared on Naeun's cheeks before the two giggled it off and entered the school hall.

All around them, students carried large, bulky bags. Some even brought their own ski/snowboard gears. Naeun wished she had a snowboard of her own but her mother would always say, "Why waste so much money on a snowboard when you only go up the mountains once every few years? Plus, with you growing year by year, we'd have to keep buying a new board! It's a waste of money!"

Naeun knew better than to argue with her mother when it came to money. It wasn't easy raising two girls as a single parent and running a restaurant alone. Her mother had to work hard to get Naeun and her sister, Saeeun, the education they had. Naeun counted herself lucky that her mother would spend so much every few years for her daughters to go snowboarding. It wasn't that the Son family faced financial troubles; they were just frugal with their spendings.

A sudden cheerful call broke Naeun's train of thoughts, "Naeun! Eunji!"

"Krystal!" Eunji squealed, smiling at the said girl who was now running towards them. Krystal was another one of Naeun's good friends. She and Eunji had known Krystal since her sophomore year and the three had been inseparable since then.

"Look at what my parents bought for me yesterday," the cheery girl exclaimed as she showed her friends the beautifully carved snowboard. It was a magnificent color of yellow with blue and white strikings to decorate it. They awed at the sight of it.

"You're going to teach us how to snowboard, right Nang-ni?" Krystal 'threatened'. Naeun giggled at her friend's attempt to shot her a deathly glare with her brows scrunching together. She nodded happily at Krystal, reassuring her and Eunji that she would have them be experts by the end of the week.

As the three made their way to the main hall, Naeun couldn't help but feel that their adventure in the mountains was going to be one she would never forget. Perhaps it was the fact that she would be spending a week with her girls and do what most girls do during slumber parties - pillow fights, ghost stories, gossips, boys.

Her feelings were right, of course. She did do all that during her stay at the resort, but boy did she not imagine a rollercoaster ride with very interesting people filled with a whole lot of drama.

But hey, what's a senior year without adding some fun into it?