Chapter 1

35,040 hours
Please log in to read the full chapter

August 1, 2016

It's the day.

 

No, that's not the right word.

 

Because, it's their day. The day when they're going to be together eternally.

 

The day that everyone's anticipating for the two lovers to tell their vows to each other.

 

The day that her heart broke, shattering into millions and millions of indescribable pain.

 

"Hey, you ready?"

 

"I can't do this, Seungwan."

 

"W-what? What are you talking about?"

 

"This. I can't do this."

 

"Maybe you're just nervous right? If you're not feeling well then we shou-"

 

"I can't do this. Let me go."

 

"Unnie, I-"

 

"Please, Wendy, let me go. Please let me go."

 

"No... this is not supposed to happen. We love each other right? We're already here, unnie."

 

"Please. Let me go."

 

"I-I can't! What are you talking about? Is this a joke, u-"

 

"I want to leave. I don't want this."

 

"Let's talk about this, okay? P-please stay. Please... stay."

 

"I... can't. I'm sorry."

 

*****

 

2 hours of sleep. That was always the hours of sleep she was getting every night.

 

She forced her closed eyes tighter, trying to get more sleep even though the disturbing sunlight had already slipped into some of the gaps on her blue curtains. She couldn't sleep properly, not when she's thinking of it every day and night.

 

She grabbed her phone and groaned.

 

6:32 am: Wednesday - June 12, 2020

 

It's still early. Wendy sat up and looked at the sunlight that was touching her skin. She stared at her bookshelf that was filled with her favorite novels before looking at the empty desk beside it.

 

She used to work there.

 

Even though that desk was now empty, she couldn't forget the woman who sat there, typing something on her laptop while laughing at the cheesy lines that was thrown to her. Her smile while working at that desk was the warmest thing that she could ever remember.

 

The warmest smile that always felt like home.

 

The sound of her alarm ripped her painful trip to memory lane; it was annoying, she always wake up before her alarm. She didn't try to remove it since she was lazy to get up sometimes.

 

Turning off the alarm, Wendy slid off her bed and jumped for a few times to wake herself up. She was used to this routine ever since she was left alone. Her house was quiet, too quiet. Perhaps she's very lonely, she thought, and maybe she's just getting old to have friends.

 

She walked to her windows to fix the curtains so the sunlight can go in. Warm brightness flooded her spacious room in a snap, but Wendy didn't feel anything at all. It's not the same warmth that she used to know. She tried to smile, pretending to feel a whisper of good morning on her ears, a light kiss on her lips, a soft hand on her own, and a smell of spicy rice cake outside her room. She reached her living room and went to her vinyl player, placing a song that was given by the woman that once loved her. It was given on their first Christmas as fiancées, smiling while giving gifts for each other.

 

Once the melodic and tuneful sound reached her ears, she can't help but to smile. A true, genuine smile. Memories were running through her mind again, playing itself like the vinyl that was spinning on her player.

 

They were always dancing whenever that song was played, hands on each other's waist, and whispering sweet nothings to express their love for each other. It's stupid to remember all those painful memories, but that soft sound from the vinyl is the only thing that made her feel contented ever since she left.

 

She was smiling but it still hurts. It hurts to wait for something that isn't going to happen. Yes, she got broken hearted, but no matter how hard she tried to fix it, the pieces never fit the way they did before. She realized that at some point, a person can stay in her heart but not in her life.

 

Her phone rang, the noisy tune from the device was loud enough to distract her.

 

She rubbed her eyes and removed the vinyl from her player. She reached for her phone and checked the caller's ID, chuckling before answering the call.

 

"Hey Seulgi."

 

"Hey Wannie! Wait, did you not sleep again?"

 

"How did you know?"

 

"Are you serious? We're soul mates remember?"

 

"Joy's going to get angry if she hears you."

 

"No she's not."

 

"It's supposed to be a joke, Seul."

 

"Oh!"

 

Wendy chuckled "You're so slow."

 

"Yeah, yeah. Speaking of Joy, she's here with me and your father called her."

 

"What did he say?"

 

"You'll attend a business trip. He said that he can't come because he's tired from the previous one."

 

"Why didn't he just called me?"

 

"Joy is his assistant and you're always so busy. Maybe he didn't want to disturb you."

 

"Oh, okay. I'll see you in a few."

 

"Okay! We'll wait for you!"

 

"Bye and good morning to you, Seul."

 

"Bye and good morning to you too, Wannie."

 

She smiled and with one last glance to her vinyl player, Wendy gave out a long sigh before moving her body to take a shower.

 

*****

 

Wendy arrived at her parent's house. She took her time getting herself ready and driving to her family's house. She enjoyed the drive since she can see the flowers swaying as she passed the beautiful and peaceful streets of Seongbukdong. Her parents just stayed there for a while since their previous trip was near Korea. She really missed Canada, the maple syrup, her sister, and the cold temperature that made her feel that she's really home.

 

"Good morning, Ms. Son." Their family's butler greeted her with a smile. He was really old now, hair was turning gray, and wrinkles starting to show on his face. He started working when they were on Canada, she was only a seven year old girl who was throwing different kinds of tantrums everywhere. He is indeed patient with the two Son sisters.

 

"Hi David. How are you?"

 

"Feel like crying. You finally came, Ms. Son."

 

Wendy laughed at their butler "You even followed my parents here. You're too lo

Please log in to read the full chapter