Bonus chapter

My cat from... where?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bonus chapter

 

 

 

Chaeyoung is perfecting the final touch of the engagement ring when she feels something tugs at her chest. She doesn't notice it at first, too focused on the task at hand. But suddenly, for just a mere second, it feels like air is blasted out of her lung, making her almost drop the jewel. It doesn't hurt, she realizes when she finally puts the tools down and focuses on the weird feeling. But the meaning of it terrifies her. It's either something happened to Mina, or the older girl is calling for her, which rarely happens.

 

Chaeyoung knows things are serious when the demigod himself shows up when she's about to leave. His face is even more stern than usual. And what he says after makes her blood run cold.

 

"Your father is here."

 

Chaeyoung's grip on her pendant is deadly.

 

***

 

Chaeyoung twists and grips the pendant tightly in her hand while letting herself be pulled by the dark matter around her. Yunho's shadow traveling only gets them to the tree shade a few hundred meters away from her house in daytime. And she still feels like it's not enough. Fighting the dizziness from jumping between realms, she quickly sprints to the familiar door, with the demigod following suit. Despite what he has reassured her, she can't calm down until she sees Mina. She must make sure Mina is safe.

 

The door springs open after a kick, and Chaeyoung braces herself for whatever behind is it.

 

The door flies open at Chaeyoung's fierce kick, causing the two people sitting in the living room to turn back. Chaeyoung, who is ready to fight the moment she burst into the room, also stopped at the scene in front of her.

She doesn’t know what she expected to see (she didn’t want to think about it), but this is not it. At all. Two people are sitting opposite each other, eyes now fixed on her. On the table between them is a steaming teapot and a plate of biscuits. From the look of it, people would think she just interrupts a perfectly peaceful conversation, not preventing a terrible event. Or maybe it is the case. Even so, Chaeyoung strides to the couch, where Mina is sitting, eyes delivering the obvious question. Mina’s lips curve up before she takes Chaeyoung’s hand in hers for reassurance. She’s fine. She can see clearly the tension slowly leaves the smaller girl’s body.

 

"It's been a while."

Yunho casually walks in, nodding at the orange-haired man before settling down on a chair near the window, further from their sofa. He randomly picks up a manga book from the shelf near there and starts reading, obviously not intent to participate in the conversation.

 

"Good to see you again, Yunho-ssi."

 

The man speaks in a deep, resonant voice, like it’s from the depths of the jungle, and only then does Chaeyoung turn to really look at the person who occupies the armchair.

 

The man opposite them is middle-aged, dressed in a suit that was not new, but well-kept and refined. His mustache and beard are neatly trimmed in a simple but classy style. There are streaks of gray in his mane of dark orange hair and his beard. A fedora hat matching the color of his suit is put on his left side. At first glance, this man would be no different from a harmless old man on the street, but Chaeyoung knows better. There is this unmistakable glint in his eyes when he looks at Chaeyoung, making her shiver. It is the same look, even though the last time they met, he wore a majestic golden armor, carried a sword, and almost took her life.

 

"Why are you here?" Chaeyoung squints at the old man, feeling more at ease now knowing Mina is unharmed and they have got a powerful demigod on their side.

 

"A good evening would suffice." He grumbles, leaning back on the armchair. His lips curve up slightly in amusement. "Or a brief hello, I am Chaeyoung, nice to meet you. I believe we haven't properly introduced yet."

 

"You know my name. I know who you are. What more to say?"

Chaeyoung rolls her eyes and folds her arms in front of her chest stubbornly. This man invited himself into her own house and now he has the audacity to lecture her for not being polite? But Mina nudges on her rib and shoots her a glare. Chaeyoung huffs out. This is unfair. Is it what she gets back from making Mina call home only to hear her parents say that manga author is not a job?

She rolls her eyes again as an act of rebellion.

 

"Fine. I'm Son Chaeyoung. What a surprise to meet you, the one I have never met before, allegedly." She deliberately emphasizes her last name, which is her mother’s, not his.

 

He laughs, looking amused by her answer. His eyes twinkle.

 

"You definitely get that from your mother. Well, Chaeyoung, the daughter I allegedly have never met before, it's nice to officially meet you."

 

"Can't say the same." Chaeyoung mumbles and Mina shoots her a confused look. She just shakes her head and leans back to the couch, signaling her displeasure with the situation.

 

"Sorry." Mina offers a slight bow of apology. "Your visit is so sudden, and we are all taken by surprise."

 

"Don't worry." He waves his big hand dismissively. "It was rude of me to impose. However, my trip must be kept secret, for my and your safety too. What's happening here is off the record. I know it's a big favor to ask but I would appreciate it if you can keep this a secret."

 

"Of course." Mina assures him, sensing that Chaeyoung isn’t in the mood for small talk right now.

 

"You're so kind, Miss Myoui--"

"Please call me Mina."

 

"Ah yes, Mina. I am glad Chaeyoung is with you. If she takes after me or her mother, she'll be very stubborn sometimes. I can only imagine how hard it is for you."

"Oh, not at all. I mean, she can be stubborn at times, but we can work it out just fine."

 

He laughs, bringing his hand up to his own beard, looking pleased.

"You are too modest, Mina. You made it sound easy, but you literally just tamed a tiger. No wonder she was ready to sacrifice her life for you. You should have seen her on that night. She was all for nothing. I guess she really does take after me."

 

Chaeyoung's brow furrows furiously. A low growl is threatening to escape . But she tries to keep it down. Yunho had explained to her on the way that this deity left all his godly power behind in Korea and traveled as a mere mortal human to avoid being detected. But it also means he has put himself in danger. If she or Yunho attacks now, he won't be able to escape.

 

She wouldn't do that, no. She will not attack her own father when he's the most vulnerable, especially when he spared her life a year ago.

But he's getting on her nerves, all the father and daughter stuff.

 

To be honest, Chaeyoung doesn't know why she's acting this petty towards him. They just met once, and granted, he almost killed her, but ultimately, he let her go. She should be grateful, right? She would be, if it wasn't for his presence in this very room. She doesn't feel safe, knowing he can track her here. And she has a hunch that whatever the purpose of this trip is, it would disrupt the peaceful life that they are having now.

 

"Okay, pleasantries aside. Why are you here?" She snaps, interrupting him midway. She ignores Mina squeezing their intertwined hands, but it doesn’t escape the deity’s attention when his gaze flickers for just a second.

 

"Can't a father visit his daughter?" The man reaches out for a cup of tea, looking comfortable as if this is his own house.

 

"How do you find out about me and this place?" She'd be a toddler if she believed his words. And she's running out of patience.

 

"Looking for you is not easy, I must admit. The moment I saw your hair and your face, I knew you're my child, and the fact that you can open that door is a dead telling. I have many children, but not many of them received my family crest. And I know your mother brought you to Japan, where her cousin lived. It took time, and I had to wait out for the commotion to die out. But it's not the hardest tracing case I have ever done."

 

Mina watches as Chaeyoung’s eyebrows crease and her teeth nipping the lower lip at his word. She rubs lightly on the skin of Chaeyoung’s hand, and the girl draws a deep breath. Mina knows what’s bothering the younger, but it’s best that they ignore it for now. She doesn’t want Chaeyoung to get into a fight with her own father. Luckily, the younger girl seems to understand and decides to ask another question instead.

"How come mother never told me anything about you?"

 

The man sighs, putting the cup down.

“I don’t know the reason why. When she found out who I was, she panicked and moved out of the house we shared at that moment. But she didn’t live far from the forest, and the forest is my territory.”

 

Suddenly, a realization dawns on Chaeyoung and she jumps up before she can stop herself.

 

"Wait, you're the tiger that I met in the forest when I was small right? And mom moved to Japan shortly after that incident. Was that bec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter