What are we?

My cat from... where?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Mina is a little disoriented when she wakes up from the nap. It takes her a full five minutes to figure out where she is and what day it is. A weight on her legs indicates that she’s not alone. Oh right, she was brushing Chaeyoung’s hair when both felt asleep. But now their position somehow changed, Mina is now lying fully on the couch, head resting on the cushion while Chaeyoung is sleeping soundly on the older’s legs. Petite body curled up to fit in the remaining space of the couch.

 

Mina pushes herself up to sitting position, trying not to wake the sleeping girl. She takes this opportunity to observe Chaeyoung more closely. The girl’s hands are near her face, like a cat sleeping with paws wrapping its face, only to loosen up after. Her fluffy hair is pointing every direction, despite Mina’s attempt to brush it earlier.

 

Mina is not a tall person to be honest, but the girl is smaller than her. Her face is like a doll’s with chubby cheeks that is hiding the deepest dimples. Seriously, when Chaeyoung first smiled and showed those adorable little dimples, Mina had to restrain herself from cooing and poking the younger’s face. Like right now. But that’s not appropriate. Fine. She will not poking a sleeping person’s cheeks just because it’s too… poke-able.

 

Chaeyoung’s nose is adorable, a little pinkish on the top, like a cat’s nose. She is a cat after all. But her lips are nothing cat-like; it’s perfectly heart-shaped and feminine. There is a mole underneath, only to emphasize her beauty. Mina unconsciously gulps looking at the slightly parting lips, so plump, so captivating, so kis… Nope. Not gonna go there.

 

Mina scolds herself for inappropriate thought and reaches for her phone, to divert her attention. It’s nearly three in the afternoon already. They have been asleep for two hours, too long for an afternoon nap, and still have a spare room to clean.

 

“Chaeyoung, wake up”

 

The girl stirs but doesn’t open her eyes. She turns to lie on her right side, still on Mina’s legs, and nudges closer to Mina’s lap, hiding her face. This is only cute when she’s in cat form, now it makes Mina tingle in a weird way.

 

“Hey, wake up you fur ball”

 

***

 

Gradually, Mina is getting used to being greeted by a person when she arrives home instead of a cat. Somedays, when Chaeyoung feels like it, she’s in cat form, strutting around the house and settling in Mina’s lap, purring loudly. Some other times, it’s Chaeyoung the human putting her head on Mina’s lap demanding for hair brush. Mina would argue that it’s not the ideal position for one; but the kitty eyes and pouty face make her reconsider her argument immediately. So next time Chaeyoung puts her head on Mina’s lap, the older doesn’t bat an eye, just let her hand run through the soft strands and continue doing her things. It feels good, so Mina doesn’t complain.

 

It’s fine, Mina assures herself. It’ll just be the same like before.

 

Things are not like before.

 

On good side, one day Mina finds out Chaeyoung can cook and agree to cook for them, she pulls the girl to the grocery store right away. She’s shocked to learn that it’s Chaeyoung’s first time to a supermarket, but then, when she thinks again, there’s not many people bringing their cats to supermarket either. At first, Chaeyoung is quite jumpy going to a crowded place like that, so Mina, contrast to her usual self, leads the way and shields the girls from people. Still, the younger looks around frantically and is more alert when they pass through a group of loud young boys.

 

Mina could be wrong because the crowd is noisy but she might have heard Chaeyoung hissing at them. In their time living together, Mina has learned that the cat doesn’t like boys very much and she tends to hiss when meeting them first time. Especially in the case of Mina’s first boyfriend, she thinks the cat tried to claw his eyes out whenever she had a chance.

 

When Chaeyoung is finally used to her surrounding, curiosity gets the best of her. She awes at everything on the shelves and pulls Mina everywhere to take a closer look. Yes, they hold hand, just because Chaeyoung is new to everything and Mina doesn’t want her to get lost. At least that’s what Mina tells herself.

 

While Chaeyoung is fascinated with all the products, Mina is fascinated with the person beside her. Chaeyoung’s big round eyes are twinkling with amazement and joy, looking much like a kid being taken to the amusement park for the first time. She’s smiling widely, cute canine teeth and dimples showing. It takes all Mina’s mental strength to stop the girl from putting too much strawberry-flavored food in the cart. Okay, so she can only manage to put back half of the stuff but it’s a great achievement already. Chaeyoung’s pouty face is too strong. Mina thinks the girl knows and deliberately uses it against her.

 

Mina would take her everywhere as long as she can see Chaeyoung smile like this. Whoops. This is a dangerous thought. And there’s a dangerous feeling bubbling inside her chest as well. This fluttering and warm feeling appears more frequently when she sees the girl. In the past, she did feel warm and contented when petting the cat, but this feeling is different, more powerful. This scares Mina to no end.

 

Ever since after the grocery trip, every time Mina arrives home from work, she’s welcomed by a smiling Chaeyoung wearing an apron, Mina’s apron. Even in human form, the girl doesn’t miss a beat to run to the door and greet Mina with a hug. Mina would recount her day while they eat dinner, a few comments at first, and then she would tell more. It’s getting like before, only this time, she gets other reactions than just loud purring. Chaeyoung would make a witty comment on Mina’s hot-tempered boss or grunt at that one colleague who always tries to make a move on Mina.

 

Sometimes, Chaeyoung would tell Mina what she does that day, a new potion she just manages to brew, a kid throws tantrum in Jihyo’s class, how the herb picking competition between her, Dahyun and Tzuyu goes (they accidentally bumped into a wasp nest and had to hide in the river). It’s fascinating and makes Mina even more intrigued with Chaeyoung’s world.

It’s so domestic.

 

 

They sit on the couch after dinner; Mina reads book or play games while Chaeyoung draws something on her notebook. Sometimes they watch a movie together, Chaeyoung’s head on Mina’s lap and the older runs her hand through the soft ginger hair. Only when they bid each other good night and go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter