Blessings and bad luck

My cat from... where?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The cold morning air is creeping inside the room, finding smallest gaps under the blanket. If it was a normal day, Mina would have curled up back inside the blanket until the second alarm or until Chaengie decided that she’s on the verge of starving. Usually it’s the second scenario. Chaengie would poke her face with tiny paws until Mina wakes up and feed the cat. But today is not a normal day.

 

It’s Mina’s third day in the magic world and she’s still trying to comprehend/remind herself that whenever she’s up. She’s far away from home, from her work, from her daily life (phones are not working there, no cellular service, at all. The service provider company may have forgotten to install their radio tower in this world.) But that’s the least thing she should be worried about now, as today is the day she starts venturing into the Ancient Forest.

 

 

Mina couldn’t sleep well last night. Who could? She was lying between Momo and Sana, who kept whispering about everything and nothing at the same time. Honestly, their silly chit chat did help soothe her worries. Mina knew they were trying to make her relax, as their voice wavered and paused whenever they mentioned about the next day. She appreciated it. But when the voices died down as her friends lulled themselves to sleep, nothing distracted her from the impending thoughts anymore. Was she worried? Of course, she’s going into the wood for god’s sake! What kind of creatures living there? They couldn’t be all harmless, could they? Nayeon did give Chaeyoung a notebook about the creatures and obstacles in the forest and Mina vowed to herself to read the notes later. What if they can’t fight them? What if Chaeyoung got hurt? Oh god, Chaeyoung is so small and cute and sweet and Mina can’t imagine her fight at all. How can that small girl fight back? Maybe she should tell them she won’t go and will live with the curse as long as she can. And as long as Chaeyoung is with her, unharmed.

 

Too absorbed in her thoughts, Mina didn’t notice something touching her thighs at first. She can’t help jerking up a little when the weight increased. She would have yelled if the feeling wasn’t so familiar. Chaeyoung, in her cat form, was putting two legs on her thighs. Earlier that night, Chaeyoung had excused herself to share the bed with Dahyun and Tzuyu, making room for the Japanese trio. She must have sensed Mina’s anxiety then. Hazel eyes staring into Mina’s and the older can see the question clearly in her eyes. ‘Are you ok? What’s wrong?’ It’s comforting, the nonverbal way they had been communicating all the time, long before the younger’s identity was revealed.

 

As an instinct, Mina raised her hand in mid-air, signaling Chaengie to come for petting, and the cat complied. Furry head rubbed against Mina’s palm, elicited a calm effect spreading all over the girl’s body. Mina relaxed instantly. We should be fine without any words uttered; Mina understood it clearly.

“I’m worried, Chaengie.”

 

When she looked up, it’s the same pair of fierce eyes she saw in Irene’s dining room, intense but reassuring.

 

“It’ll be just us, into the forest. Aren’t you scared?”

 

The cat blinked slowly. The fire in its eyes faded, only the concerning look remained.

 

“Because I am.”

 

Soft paws stepping on her chest, so gentle to not startle Mina. The cat started pulling something on her neck, front claws still retracted to avoid breaking Mina’s skin, but made it harder to retrieve the thing. Finally, the cat crouched down to take it with its mouth. It’s the silver cat-carved pendant. The one given to Mina right before she moved to Kyoto for university; the one that made her went around her neighborhoods asking if it’s theirs; the one she held on to as if her life depended on it whenever she couldn’t sleep at the new dorm.

 

She took the pendant from Chaengie and held it in her hand. Her gaze lingered at it for a moment before averted back at the cat, who’s sitting majestically with a smaller version of said pendant on the collar. The cat looked like a proud soldier wearing the hard-earned medal on their chest. Without any words, Mina still understood everything Chaeyoung wanted to say.

 

“I trust you.” She whispered, so soft that even herself can barely hear, but she knew Chaengie can.

 

The cat demeanor changed instantly. It seemed like not only Mina, but the cat also let out a breath. Paws started kneading right below her collar bone, spiny tongue her chin, together with the happy purr from the back of its throat. Mina can’t help letting out a small laugh. It’s two of them, together, as always.

 

Mina found sleep much easier with Chaengie lying on her stomach, head purring softly right above her heart.

 

 

***

 

 

They need to be at the shrine before sunrise, so they get on the way when it’s still murky outside. The morning dew on the tree leaves and grass like it is coated a thick layer of salt, which makes the air muggy and much colder. The same crowd is going to the shrine, minus Seungwan, but it’s so different from the other day. It’s quiet and solemn, like the soldier marching into the battlefield, the meaningless one.

 

Grandma Hirai showed up a moment before they left Jihyo’s house, with Mr. Kimura in tow, apologized for not being able to come yesterday. The old woman assured Mina that her job and house will be taken care of when she’s away. To be honest, Mina couldn’t care less about her soul-crushing job, but she thanked Hirai grandma anyway. If the most powerful family in this city said that, what’s to worry about?

 

No, she’s more curious about why Hirai grandma keeps conversing hushedly with Nayeon at the back, and Jeongyeon now also joins them. Is this about her? Very likely. Everything is about her curse now. Or maybe they are talking about Chaeyoung? The girl now still walking behind her, but much closer than the last time. Chaeyoung still doesn’t talk to Mina, other than some necessities, contrary to her cuddling self in cat form. Why she’s acting so different? Does Chaeyoung have different personalities when she’s in different forms? She wasn’t like this the last month they lived together.

 

The way to Shinto shrine seems shorter than the last time Mina went there. This isn’t a big village. Irene is already at the main hall, together with Seungwan, when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter