Mina

My cat from... where?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was when Mina turned 14 that she had Chaengie.

 

She had been asking, begging her parents to adopt a dog since she was six. They didn’t agree, reasoned that she’s too young and they can’t have enough time to raise one. They didn’t even have enough time for her.

 

It was rainy, not a heavy summer downpour but enough to make everything cold and gloomy for the whole day. She hated walking home in this weather, as the cars dashed by, splashed the dirty water from puddles on the road. Everything was damp and sticky. They could have slowed down, but she guessed they’re just too busy driving, working, reaching whatever destination to care about others’ well-being. Like her parents, who texted her earlier, saying sorry for getting caught up at work and promising to make it up for her later, meaning they would buy something expensive for her. It’s ironic, to be honest, their job was to care for others, as doctors, but they didn’t have time to care for their own daughter.

 

On the way home from ballet class, Mina decided to take a detour to avoid the splashing from cars, and maybe, if she’s in luck, to run away from this world. It was a gravel path through the clearer part of the wood, normally a few people, especially the elderly, went for a walk there. She usually ventured to the wood when she was younger. It was quiet and comforting.

 

Walking through the denser area, she heard some strange noise. It was faint, almost unable to hear in the rain. Mina stopped in her track, ears perked up to listen and found a weak cry from the bush. Attentively, she stepped nearer, using her bare hands to move branches out of the way and found the source of this noise. It was an orange tabby kitten, messy fur covered with mud and some torn leaves. It looked exhausted. Mina hesitated before stretching out a finger to touch the kitten, fearing it would snap at her. The poor thing seemed too exhausted to do such thing, only open its beautiful hazel eyes to look at her. A tiniest meow escaped its mouth, begging for help.

 

Of course, Mina brought the cat home, telling her parents she would want nothing for her birthday than to help this cat. They brought it to the vet, attempted to get it treated first before setting it up for adoption. However, by the time the kitten was fully recovered, two months later, Mina was too attached to give it away. The cat would also fight tooth and nails whenever it was separated from Mina, even for a short check-up. They argued and her parents relented after seeing how happier Mina was with the cat.

 

When being asked what name she would like to call the cat, Mina answered

“Chaengie” – it’s a female cat - and whispered to the tabby cat, who was lying contentedly in her arms “I hope we will be best friends.”

 

***

 

Chaengie disappeared 2 weeks before Mina’s 15th birthday. She wasn’t worried at first. The cat was much more independent when fully recovered. Chaengie started venturing back to the outside world and normally disappeared for one or two days. The house cleaner said the cat was barely home in daytime, when Mina went to class. Sometimes she disappeared for three, or even four days before showing up again, acting like nothing happened.

 

The vet suggested keeping Chaengie indoor but Mina didn’t agree. She didn’t want Chaengie to be confined in four walls of her house, knowing full well how empty and cold it can be. After two months taking care of this kitten, they had formed a special bond, or that’s what Mina liked to believe.

 

Mina didn’t notice it at first, but then she would find Chaengie in the same room as her all the time, or at least when the cat’s home. If Mina’s in the living room, Chaengie would be asleep on the TV shelf or playing (destroying) the nearby houseplant. If Mina’s in the kitchen, the feline would be in the bed, or use her cute round hazel eyes asking for more food (normally chicken). Mina didn’t have the heart to say no. C’mon, her Chaengie was hungry. Most of the time, she would find Chaengie lying on her room floor, either sleeping or doing absolutely nothing. So maybe the feline wouldn’t fight when separated from her anymore, but Mina still might be Chaengie’s favorite human.

 

When the cat was missing for two weeks, Mina was devastated. She knocked on every door in the neighborhood, despite her dread for human interaction, asking if they had seen an orange tabby cat with hazel eyes. She printed out flyers, put on every pole from her house to the school. She went through gravel path near the wood every day, calling, hoping she would find Chaengie again.

On her 15th birthday, Mina made a wish. She wished Chaengie would come back to her.

And she did. When Mina caught sight of an orange fluff ball on her windowsill, she rushed to hold it in her arms. Tears started streaming down her face again, only this time, it’s happy tears.

“Oh Chaengie. You’re back. Please don’t ever leave me again.”

Only when she calmed down, she noticed the cat just dropped something on her lap. A small crystal like gem. Under the moonlight, it looked like someone hid the moon in a lake and it’s glowing underwater. A moonstone

 “Where did you get this?” Mina asked, looking at the cat curiously, who just stared at her in return, hazel eyes slowly blinked innocently.

 

That night, Mina slept soundly, Chaengie in her arms, moonstone shone gently on her nightstand.

 

 

Chaengie still went out constantly, but rarely disappeared for longer than 5 days. She also brought many gifts for Mina from her adventures, not as precious as the moonstone (Mina still hadn’t figured out where she got that) but cute nonetheless. Some nice pebbles, tree leaves, flowers, coins (one little thief!), some colorful stuffs and dead bugs. Mina used the pebbles and flowers to decorate her room, put the coins into coin box, kept the tree leaves and flower petals in her books, and discarded the bugs (obviously)

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter