Welcome (back) party

My cat from... where?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chaeyoung stands under the large canopy of the ginkgo tree and takes a deep breath. Burnt wood from earth stoves, boiling rice, fresh cut grass, even stewed fish that someone is cooking so early in the morning, all is flooding into her nose.

The air here is not as pure and cool as in the forest, but it's much more homey.

 

"Ah. I haven't been back to this village for years. We should definitely visit the people soon." Junsu quips, just emerging from the starry tunnel leading right to the demigod's back forest.

 

 

"I trust you can find your way from here?" He asks, turning back to them with a soft smile. They simply nod in return. "I guess we'll say goodbye for now. Take care, you two. I wish you all the best."

 

He pats their shoulders lightly and nods before turning back to the tunnel, mumbling something about how he might cry if he stays for longer. The tunnel closes behind him, leaving them staring at a patch of trees with no trace of any portal behind.

 

Chaeyoung scoffs.

"He said as if he won't see me next month."

 

Indeed, after the transformation incident, Chaeyoung has little to no choice but agreeing to come back for some training. Just until she can finally get a hold of her power, she told herself, then she would stop. They are nice enough to her and Mina, but she doesn't know what they're keeping from her. And Chaeyoung is tired of all the gods’ things. If the gods are so powerful, why can't they solve their problem?

 

A few days after the confrontation inside Jaejoong and Yunho's room, the demigod himself asked to talk to Chaeyoung. She didn't expect it, but the demigod was calm and patient to answer her questions.

 

"I don't think they will try to find you.” He replied convincingly to her question. “Even if he cares about you or not, he will try to hide you and the fact that you’re related to him. You see, he’s not the one behind the wings rob, he's just entrusted to guard those. When you took the wings, he must report to the higher up. From what I know, they don't know who did the stealing and the case has no connection to you."

 

“And even if they do and come for you.” His deep, stern voice hardened like it’s going to materialize from sound only. Chaeyoung knew he’s making a vow. “We will be there for you.”

 

 

Mina's squeezing her hand has pulled Chaeyoung out of her reverie. The younger turns to Mina and realises that she might have missed Mina's question.

 

"Should we go?" Mina repeats and gestures to the direction of the village.

 

"Let's go." She smiles, tugging Mina's hand gently.

 

"We can see the whole village from here!" Mina marvels. "It's beautiful!"

 

"Oh... yeah it is." Chaeyoung chuckles.

 

"What's that?" Mina asks

 

"I forgot you haven't seen this before. You were unconscious all the way." Chaeyoung looks down at their joined hands, wondering how much time has passed. It's just more than two months, yet felt like years.

 

"And you carried me the whole way, my knight in shining armour!" Her nose brushes Chaeyoung's cheek and the smaller girl blushes prettily.

 

"Let's walk this time."

 

They stroll, hand in hand, leisurely, as there is no reason to rush this time.

 

 

It's about five houses away from Jihyo's when they are attacked by a whirlwind of blonde and brown. Or to be accurate, Chaeyoung is attacked while Mina stays frozen on her spot, not knowing what just happened. She can't do anything but watch the two personifications of tornado turn Chaeyoung around, examining her from head to toe.

 

"Oh holy goddesses, you're back" The blonde exclaims loudly, her voice sounds like it's just another sentence from cracking.

 

The brown-haired girl did not make a fuss like her friend. She chooses to hug Chaeyoung tight instead, her giraffe height towering over the latter.

 

"Can't... breathe..." Chaeyoung struggles and the two loosen their hold, slightly.

 

"Don't run away from us like that again. You hear me?" Dahyun reprimands and Chaeyoung just rolls her eyes and pushes the two away.

 

 "I was on a quest, you silly, not eloping."

 

When the two turn to Mina, they stop midway of going for a hug, darting their eyes to Chaeyoung as if to ask how they should greet the girl. Mina just smiles and spreads her arms wide, earning her a grin and of course, a warm welcome hug. It’s much less forceful and more gentle.

....

 

 

 

 

 

The two pull Chaeyoung and Mina towards Jihyo house, which smells like a feast is being cooked. Might be it, Chaeyoung thinks, Jihyo is someone who will jump at every opportunity to feed people. Indeed, when they walk in, there's a commotion in the kitchen, with clashing of pots and yelling. Well, mostly Jihyo yelling at Nayeon for misplacing some potions near her cooking spices. She is holding a pot of blue gravy to demonstrate the importance of separating cooking and potion ingredients. Sana stands beside her, obviously Nayeon's partner in crime, but only the oldest receives Jihyo's scolding.

 

 

Jeongyeon is also wearing a blue apron, instructing Momo to make flower decorations from cucumber and carrot while the latter whines at Sana for stealing a flower every few minutes.

 

"It's fine." Jeongyeon coaxes. "She is eating the ugly flowers anyway. You can make better ones."

 

The hectic scene brings a small smile to Chaeyoung's face as honey-like warmth pours inside her. She's home. In the corner of her eyes, Mina is spotted with a matching smile, only not as wide.

 

"Look who are back!" Dahyun shouts cheerfully and all noise halts, except for the bubbling potion inside Nayeon's cauldron. It lasts for merely a second before the whole kitchen is engulfed in even louder yell. Chaeyoung is attacked first by a bundle of brown hair and bunny teeth, and hell, Dahyun and Tzuyu's strong hug holds nothing to Nayeon’s. Good thing Jihyo and Jeongyeon manage to pull her back, giving the poor cat girl space to breathe. Jihyo's hug is less intense, but in no way less warm. Jeongyeon takes time to look from the top of her head to her toes, and only pulls her in a warm embrace after seeing no wounds. Still, her hand takes Chaeyoung's wrist in mid hug to feel her pulse.

 

"I'm fine, Jeongyeon. In one piece. See?"

 

She makes an attempt to twirl around, showing the healer that she is healthy.

 

 

"Your hand." She hears Sana gasps, and all eyes turn to Mina's left hand, making a blush form on her cheeks from all the attention. Mina looks dazed. She too was attacked by Sana and Momo's hugs.

 

"You two did it!" Someone yells and Chaeyoung couldn't distinguish the voice before another cheer erupts. Everyone is cheering and hugging each other. Hands and even cheek kisses fly everywhere and it's a mess.

 

 

Honestly, Chaeyoung wouldn't have it any other way.

 

 

Eventually, it's Jihyo who calms down the hotheads and commands everyone to come back to the preparation of lunch. Even though, looking at that amount of food, Chaeyoung thinks it would be a three-day feast at least. And no, Mina and Chaeyoung aren't allowed to help. They need rest, Jihyo declares, and other girls agree immediately, no argument! After a few shoo, they find themselves nesting among all types of cushions in the living room. Fine, Chaeyoung thinks as she nuzzles into Mina, she's up early this morning anyways. A nap would be nice.

 

 

 

 

Chaeyoung's nose twitches at the enticing smell of grilled chicken, her favourite dish, right in front of her nose. waters. The itching teeth seem to be up before her brain as she takes a nip at whatever is in front of her.

 

An airy yelp makes her jolt up immediately, eyes open wide.

Is Mina in danger?

Snickers and laughter (it's Nayeon's) echoes around the room, all familiar voices.

 

 

Mina is not in danger. Chaeyoung looks down and sees her lying on the pillows, a sulky look adorns her face. She held out her right arm to show Chaeyoung the teeth mark on pale skin. It turns out what Chae has bitten was not the delicious grilled chicken in her dreams, but Mina's right arm wrapped around her. Chaeyoung scratches her head and offers a sleepy smile as she takes Mina's arms into her hands and rubs it lightly.

 

"Does it hurt?"

 

"Chaeyoungie, I know that's your favourite food but please take hold of yourself." Nayeon teases and throws her a wink, a piece of grilled chicken is still in her hands. The culprit.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter