Chapter 2

The Boy

She walked down the path to her home in silence. She looked disturbed and her mind was in a total chaos. The image of the event kept playing on her mind. She couldn’t stop thinking about the boy. His angelic face, his smile, and the sharp look in his eyes kept flashing in the back of her mind.

She turned 17 this year and had met many people since then, but never did once someone block the ability of hers. Now, coming a boy with angelic face that stopped her action.

He was an odd one. At first, she found his mind instantly, was so open and welcoming, but when she tried harder grasping at his thoughts, he broke her action. She wasn’t sure whether he had realized it or not.  He looked annoyed, but he acted indifferent.

She used the ability only when she needed some entertaintments. She never used it for a serious criminal case, that’s what she believed in herself. The joy, of having an effect on someone, was  just gladden her. When the event just now crumbled it down, She felt frustrated.

The air felt so cold and peace was too far away for her to reach today. Sipping the drink, she tried to cool down and think rationally. She wished she wouldn’t meet the boy anymore.

Walked past the garden and took the last corner, she could see her house already, which was painted white with dark red trim. On the outside, the house just looked like any othe house inthe area. There, she lived only with her parents, because she was an only child in the family, making the house felt more bigger than it actually was. She walked into the house and saw her mother sitting on the couch watching a drama.

“I’m home!”

“You went home early today dear.” Her mother stated, still staring at the TV screen.

“Yeah there’s no activities after class today, mom.” She speculated while grabbing a drink from the refrigerator in the kitchen and plopped down beside her mother.

She never really went into any extracurricular activities at school. The activities at school didn’t interest her much. She usually went home late for a walk to find some entertainment, but she wasn’t in the mood to do so after the event.

“That’s good, then. By the way, There’s a boy whom just moved out and live here for awhile. No one uses the room upstairs, right? So we rent it out to him.” Her mother said, looking at her in anticipation.

“What?!” She stared at her mother in disbelief. “We never rent any rooms, we have, to someone before. Why do we rent it out to him now? And, Who is the boy by the way?” She squinted, puzzled.

“You will see him in the dinner later. I am inviting him to dinner with us tonight.” She stated ignoring her daughter’s questions.

“Wow, unbelievable. You really seem ecstatic, mom.” She stared at her mother in disbelief.

“Yah! We have to welcome him as a good host.”

She didn’t believe her. Her conscience told her to enter her mother's thought, but she knew better not to. She didn’t want to trick her own mother, that would be ignorant to her. She didn’t want to take an advantage of her mother twice.

“Fine, I am going to take a shower first.” Standing up, She rushed to her room.

When the dinner comes, her mother called her to went out of the room and prepared for the dinner. She walked out of the room and saw her father basically doing his work on the sofa. Her father was always busy with his work that he always got no time for her. But she loved him nonetheless.

Walking into the dining room, She saw her mother was busy cooking something in the kitchen. Actually, This seemed new to her, watching her mother cooking and her father sat on the sofa waiting for dinner to get ready. They seldom ate dinner together like a family. So, the event gave her warm feeling.

“What are you doing? Take some plates and organize them on the table.” Her mother suggested.

Breaking her gaze from her mother, she started doing what she was told to. As she put some utensils on the table, the front door being opened.  She could hear from the dining room that her father was talking with someone.

“That must be him! Call them in, sweetie. We are ready for the dinner.” Her mother stated.

She walked into the living room and saw the boy’s back whom sat on the sofa.

“Dad, dinner is ready!”

The moment she looked at the guest, her chest tightened. The air turned hot. There, the boy, which she didn’t wish to see, sat on the sofa looking at her. She didn’t realize holding her breath in until  her father ushered the boy to the dining room.

She was left hanging, shocked. The boy passed by her, smiling. She wanted to quit dinner, but that would seem suspicious to her parents. Having no choices, she walked into the dining room with a heavy heart.

Her father and her mother sat next to each other adn the boy sat across her father. She sat beside the boy trembling.

“Luhan, meet my daughter. Her name is Song Heejin. You can call her Heejin or lovely.” Her father joked to lighten up the dinner.

“So, your name is Heejin. Nice to meet you.” Luhan said politely, smiling.

She didn’t know if he realized what she did to him or not, but he acted  normal. She gave him a nervous smile and looked down at the plate in front of her. She didn’t dare to meet his eyes.

“Heejin, Luhan is my friend’s son. He need a place to stay in this town, So I let him stay here with us. I hope you can get along with each other.” Her father stated nonchalantly.

She sighed. What a small world!