03. at least that's what I think

Spotlight [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I’m in love with my best friend. 

It ing . 

I don’t remember exactly when the feelings started. All I know for sure is that I’m in love with Kim Aera. But I can’t risk it. What we have right now, our friendship is perfect. 

It’s morning and I’m roused by the faint sound of birds chirping. I opened my eyes only to see Aera sleeping soundly beside me, with both hands tucked under her face. 

How adorable. 

I reached over, gently tucking the stray strands of hair behind her ear. And there I laid, watching her sleep. I’m aware that it’s creepy, but who can blame me. She’s gorgeous.

I must have fallen back asleep because I’m suddenly nudged awake by a very sleepy Aera. Someone was banging on her door and she groaned. 

“Jae, go hide,” she murmured. 

I obeyed, strolling to her bathroom and shutting the door behind me. This wasn’t the first time I’ve done this. I walked over to the window and slid it open in case I needed to make a quick escape, just as a precaution. I slid down against the door and sat there, listening to the conversation that was going on in the room.

“KIM AERA! You failed your Chemistry test?” I heard her mother screech. 

“Mom it’s not a big deal...Calm down!” Aera wailed.

“You will fix this!”

“Yes! I will...” There’s the sound of angry footsteps pacing the room.  “Mom, calm down! Unnie, tell her that she’s overreacting.” 

“Mom, you’re overreacting. Why don’t you let me handle this? Go keep dad company,” Kim A-yeong, Aera’s elder sister, coaxed. I heard a loud huff and retreating footsteps, followed by a door slam. 

Silence. 

“Where’s Jaehyun?” 

“He’s in the bathroom, unnie.”

“Jaehyun you can come out now!” A-yeong bellowed. I sauntered out the bathroom and belly-flopped back onto Aera’s bed.

“Good morning noona,” I greeted, squinting my eyes at the sudden brightness of the room.

A-yeong grinned at me, as she cradled Aera in her arms. Aera’s cheeks were stained with fresh tears. I frowned at the sight, wishing I could kiss the tears away.

She sniffed. “I’m fine before you ask.”

Her sister rubbed circles on her back. “Ahh, my sweet little sister. You’re so sensitive.”

“I don’t like it when people yell at me!” 

“I get that but you can’t cry every time someone raises their voice at you,” A-Yeong countered. 

“I can’t help it!” 

“I understand, but in the real world- Where are you going?”  

Aera had forcefully wriggled free from her older sister’s arms, and now was reaching out for me. “I don’t wanna hear it! Jae, comfort me, I’m sad,” she pouted. 

Me and A-yeong shared amused expressions. I gladly pulled Aera into my arms and cradled her, mimicking her sister’s past action by rubbing circles on her back. It didn’t take long for her breathing to slow, her chest rising and falling slowly. She slept peacefully in my arms.

A-yeong let out a quiet laugh. “Training must be tough for her these days.” She sighed, her eyes filled to the brim with love as she watched Aera. “Work is hectic and I’m so busy. And since I rarely come back here, except on the weekends, I don’t really know how she’s doing. Do tell me, Jae, how is my sister?”

“You’re right, she’s training more rigorously now. It’s getting in the way of her school career. Plus, she always tired, but somehow still has trouble sleeping. I’m here almost every night these days,” I informed A-yeong, who nodded. “And she rarely eats, always cautious about her figure. But don’t worry noona, I force feed her when it’s necessary. So yea, don’t worry about her much noona, I’ll always be around to take care of her,” I concluded. 

A-yeong smiled appreciatively at me. “Thank you, Jaehyun.” 

“You’re welcome.” 

“I mean, thank you for taking care of my little sister, of course. And for...,” she shot me a knowing smile. “For being in love with her.”

“Noona I-.” 

She brushed off what I was about to say, her eyes intense as she stared me down knowingly. “You can’t lie to me, kiddo. I see it in your eyes.  The way you look at her, also the way you talk about her, or the way you’re always eager for her touch...I’m not an idiot. It’s obvious that you’re in love with my little sister.”

I smiled timidly at her, not knowing how to reply. A-yeong slowly slid off the bed, making her way towards the door. “Jaehyun.”

“Yes, noona?”

“You should tell her before it’s too late. Life is too short to dwell on the ‘what ifs’.” She stopped to contemplate something. “But then again, if you ever break her heart or hurt her, I will hunt you down and rip you apart.” She winked at me, and then she was gone. 

It’s been a week since the Chemistry test debacle, and I’ve successfully managed to salvage my grade average. It was now Friday, the last day of school before our school’s annual spring break. 

The coffee shop was busier than usual. Students, working adults, and even parents with kids filled the shop, yearning for their daily fix of caffeine. I was no different, standing uncomfortably in the long line, my patience thinning by the minute. 

Damn, I just wanted coffee. Also, what was taking Jaehyun so long?

I let my eyes wander around the shop as I waited, taking in the interior design and colorful decorations. I caught a glimpse of a group of boys, around my age, studying me. My senses heightened, and I instantly became more aware. Shifting uncomfortably under their gaze, I turned and focused on the back of the person in front of me. It didn’t take long before one of them approached me. 

Oh, here we go again. Squaring my shoulders, I mentally prepared my rejection.

I scanned his appearance, starting from his shoes. What turned me off was that he wore a leather jacket on top of his crumpled school uniform, rather than a blazer. “Hey, gorgeous,” he greeted. 

“Hi,” I replied. My voice monotone, hinting that I was very much uninterested. 

He flashed me a confident smile. “Can I get your number, pretty girl?” 

“I’m sorry, but no.”

The male quirked an eyebrow at me, taking my rejection as a challenge. “Why not? At least give me a reason.” 

I exhaled slowly, turning to face him. “I have a boyfriend,” I lied. It was a lie that often worked, but the male didn’t budge. 

“Boyfriend huh?” He stretched his neck out and pretended to search for my so-called boyfriend. “I don’t see him.”

“Turn around,” a low voice called out.

Jerking my eyes upward, I saw Jaehyun behind the guy. The sight of him made me sigh in relief.

The male looked flustered as he took in Jaehyun’s appearance. My best friend smirked at him, his voice an octave lower than usual when he spoke. “Now you see him.” 

“Well I don’t see much,” the male quipped. Jaehyun’s jaw ticked and I took that as a sign, taking him by the hand and dragging him out the coffee shop. I suddenly didn’t feel the need for caffeine anymore. 

“,” Jaehyun growled, tightening his grip on my hand as he stomped down the sidewalk. I stumbled, my legs barely able to keep up with his fast pace. 

“It took you long enough, -.“ I gripped his hand tighter to prevent myself from falling. “Jae slow down, I can’t keep up.” He grumbled and slowed his pace. 

“You should have let me fight him,” he muttered.

“You would have lost, he had friends,” I pointed out, adjusting to the slower pace. “Jae, I love you, but you can’t fight for .”

“That’s not true, I could have taken him.”

I sighed. “Jeong Jaehyun, you’re a capable man. You literally excel at everything and are able to do many things. With one exception, you’re not a fighter. That’s why I love y-.”

He abruptly stopped dead in his tracks, dropping his hand from mine. “Kim Aera, are you saying that I’m weak?” His tone was harsh.

“What? No!”

“You said I’m not a fighter,-“

“Jeez, Jae. Ok, let me rephrase. I just meant that you’re not a violent person. I meant fighter as in physical fighting.”

“I’m a black belt in taekwondo.” Relief washed over me as I heard that his tone was lighter. 

“I’m aware of that.”

Jaehyun didn’t say anything, taking my hand in his again and leading me down the sidewalk. “Let’s go, we’ll be late for school.”

“Are you mad at me?”

“Princess, I can never be mad at you.”

“That’s good to k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter