02. pretty boys

Spotlight [Discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And your grade average?”

“Father, it’s not that bad. Where’s mum and unnie anyway?”

“They’re out shopping,” my father answered dismissively. “Kim Aera, what is your grade average?” He inquired authoritatively.

I shuffled my feet under the dinner table and played with my plate of uneaten food. I didn’t dare look my father in the eye when I answered, “I’d rather not say...”

 

Clang. 

 

I timidly peeked up only to see that my father had dropped his fork in frustration. He eyed me, his face was stern but I could see the love in his eyes. 

“Aera honey, you either fix this bad grade of yours or else I’m sending you to a boarding school in England,” my father threatened. After hearing this, I gasped dramatically and clutched my heart, pretending to be hurt by his menacing words. 

I smirked at him, “Father, I know you would never do that. You’d miss me too much.” My eyes were starting to lose focus, and I suppressed a yawn. “Don’t worry dad, unnie and Jaehyun can tutor me. My chemistry grade will be up in no time. I’m heading to bed, training was rigorous today.” With that said, I kissed my father on the cheek and headed for my bedroom. 

I heard my phone ding and pulled it out to see a text message from Jaehyun. After reading his text, I quickened my pace and practically sprinted to my bedroom. I shut the door behind me, making sure to lock it and ran towards my balcony. I peered down to see my best friend, his dimpled smile plastered on his face. 

“Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!” he declared. I rolled my eyes at him, retreating back into my room to retrieve the rope. Briskly and with ease, I secured the rope to my balcony railing and tossed it down. Jaehyun swiftly grabbed the rope and scaled up the side of my house. He effortlessly pulled himself over the railing and landed firmly on two feet. 

“Phew! That never gets easier. What’s up princess? Is your dad mad at you about the test?” Jaehyun comfortably entered my bedroom, leaving me to pull the rope back up. I shut the doors to the balcony and joined him on my bed. 

“No, he wasn’t that mad. Thank god mom is out with unnie, she would have butchered me. Dad just gave me the ultimatum again,” I giggled.

Jaehyun quirked an eyebrow to me as he fiddled with my TV remote “Boarding school hm?”

“Yea, same old, same old,” I sighed. “He’d never do that.”

“Mhm, he’d miss you too much,” Jaehyun agreed, before settling comfortably on my bed and pulling me by the arm towards him. He naturally encircled his arms around my upper body and waist, propping his head on top of mine. I squirmed and nudged my head deeper into his shoulder nook. I inhaled and his sweet fragrance of cherry and mint wafted my nose. I crinkled my nose at the familiar pleasant smell. Sighing into his shoulder, I couldn’t help but feel comfortable, content, and warm. 

This was normal for us. We’ve always been affectionate but we never crossed the line. Ever since we met in kindergarten, we’ve been attached at the hip. We practically grew up together and I simply can’t imagine my life without him. He’s my best friend after all.

Jaehyun absentmindedly hummed, switching through a couple of TV channels before stopping on Disney Channel. I snorted at his choice but watched the show that was airing intently.

We sat there together in silence and comfort for a while, entranced by the colorfulness of the kid’s show. Jaehyun finally broke the silence. “How was today’s training?” he asked, slithering a hand into my hair to massage my scalp.

I shrugged, “Nothing new. I did some vocal exercises and then worked on cleaning up my choreography.” My eyes involuntarily fluttered shut as I enjoyed my free head massage. “I keep turning down contracts that I’m offered. None of them are worth it. You should see the things they demand, it’s unbelievable,” I murmured

“You’ll find the perfect company to join soon enough. You’re a great performer, princess, any company will be lucky to have you.” I smiled at his words, but could no longer ignore the overwhelming feeling of drowsiness. Pushing his arms away from my body, I slid under the covers and tucked myself in. Jaehyun sat there beside me, humming to himself as he watched TV with enjoyment. 

I traced the outline of his face with my eyes, memorizing his features. Boy, he was handsome. His face was perfectly symmetrical  and his jawline was sharp, yet also soft.  His other features were also soft and boyish, but he still had a masculine look. And oh, his smile...don’t get me started about his smile. He- 

“Princess.”

“Hm?”

“Stop staring at me.” 

“Why?”

“It’s creepy.”

I pouted, “I can’t help it, I love you.”

The corners of his lips curled upwards into a small smile. “Stare at me more and I’ll think you’re in love with me.”

Furrowing my brows in confusion, I questioned, “What’s the difference?” 

Jaehyun inhaled sharply and his eyes briefly flickered to me. His eyes were intense, but I saw a tinge of sadness in them. “All the difference in the world, Aera.”

What did that even mean? He wasn’t making any sense. Deciding to drop it, I changed the subject, pointing out a mistake he made. “I’m not Aera. I’m your princess,” I mumbled sleepily, turning to face the other way. “Also I told you I loved you and you didn’t say it back.”

I heard him chuckle softly and felt him shift beside me. “I love you, princess.” 

Jaehyun must have turned off the TV because the room is suddenly plunged into darkness and silence. The glow in the dark star stickers on my bedroom ceiling lightly illuminated the room with a green hue. We had stuck those together when we were in middle school, and to this day they never fell off. I plunged myself deeper under the covers and waited for sleep to whisk me away. I felt secure, knowing that Jaehyun was just right beside me.

Just when I was about to drift off to sleep, I felt the bed shake. I guessed that he was just trying to get comfortable. Much to my annoyance, this happened another three times.  Sleep refused to take me because of his constant moving. Irritated that he was disrupting my sleep, I turned to face him. 

“Will you stop moving? I’m trying to sleep.”

He was staring at my ceiling. “I’m sorry,” he breathed out. 

Call it my intuition, but I knew something was wrong. I poked his arm, “Speak. I know something’s wrong.” He stubbornly shook his head. “Jung Jaehyun, tell me what’s wrong.”

“Nothing’s wrong.”

“You’re lying.”

“You’re right.”

“Jaehyun!”

His chest shook as he chuckled lightly. “I’m fine now that I’m here with you. Don’t worry about me, just go to sleep.”

I rolled my eyes at him, “I can’t sleep, you keep moving the bed.”

“I’ll stop moving now, go to sleep.” I saw him turn to face the other way, and I did the same, finally settling in to get some sleep. 

 

Swish.

 

There was a slight rustle and the bed shook violently again. “Jaehyun!” I groaned. 

“I’m sorry! It’s just that- hey!“ Jaehyun stopped dead in the middle of his sentence as he watched me tackle him. I threw my arm around his waist and pulled him to me, intertwining our legs. He instantly stiffened as I tightened my grip on him and nestled my head in the nook of his shoulder. Content that he couldn’t move an inch, I said my goodnights and shut my eyes. 

“Aera...,” he whispered, wriggling his body.

“Shut up and go to sleep,” I ordered, and he sighed. His breathing eventually slowed and he pulled me closer. I fell asleep to the sound of our synced breathing and the sound of his beating heart. 

It’s her. Kim Aera. My princess. 

I lean against the elevator door and sigh to myself. I close my eyes and bask in the waves of suppressed emotions that mercilessly come crashing back. The moment I saw her in front of the elevator door, my heart stopped. She’s still as beautiful as ever. Area’s hair is the same light brown, and her eyes are still the prettiest shade of amber. Her smile still manages to give me butterflies and her adorable habit of crinkling her nose still melts my heart. And her lips...I wonder if it will feel the same as before if they’re against mine. 

She still looks like the girl I fell in love with.

The second I laid my eyes on her, I wanted to grab her and hold her in my arms. I wanted to tell her how much I’ve missed her and how much pain I’ve been feeling without her. The pain of losing her and the pain of being without her.

My heart aches as I remind myself she has no recollection of me. Our

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter